Loungin Since Dec '09
    Cheshire, UK

Need a new board to partner my Fish, advice please   

Hello all,
    Currently I own a 2010 Fish 160
    2008 Un..inc "puppy" 158
    2006 Custom 166

200lbs US11's

I have had various other boards over the years all cambered and all similar in size, ride and type to the Custom. I got myself the fish a couple of years ago as I had always fancied one it looked great was cheap, but figured I wouldn't get to ride it much, how wrong could I have been !!
    I now find myself using the Fish all the time, powder, piste, hardpack, week old crud the lot, the puppy only sees the light of day when the chance of finding any soft stuff is absolutely zero. I love the way the Fish rides, that surfy fell in soft stuff with zero back leg burn and the super flattering way it rides on groomers, I can't ever remember catching an edge on it. The lack of tail also comes in really handy when the my lack of ability becomes an issue on steep off piste stuff. If i do manage to find some fresh tracks during the day, i am so happy i decided to ride it that day. But I can't help thinking I am missing out on something buy using it all the time on the off chance i might find pow, when another less specialized board would be even better when conditions are not perfect. I am certainly no expert even though the fish makes me look pretty good in the soft stuff. I'm am just after having as much fun as is possible.

I am limited to Burton channel stuff as I don't want to have to buy and travel with another set of bindings and I am convinced the S rocker is the main reason why I like the the ride of the fish so much and i am 100% backcountry and groomers no park, no jibbing so the options as I see it are
    Barracuda
    Sherlock
    Custom flying V
    Or maybe even a Nug or Joystick
    All the above are available on sale at the moment so I figure now is a good time to buy.

Will the Barracuda be to much like the fish and end up either not getting used or just make the fish redundant? Would the sherlock be better?????

But I look around the resorts I ride (here in Europe) and I can't remember the last time I saw a fish. I see the odd Malolo, supermodel and sick stick but that's it really for tapered boards.
    I don't want a new board to replace the fish, is it wrong to ride it all the time?? What do you guys think,

2. kbasa

kbasa

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CB

Either a custom flying V 158 or a Easy Livin flying v 158....Doesn't really matter which as they are similar boards.

3. octopus

octopus

Loungin Since Oct '09
    this is boston, not LA

NUG 

4. Creekside

Creekside

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Park Place.

Harvest

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

Nug 152 Directional

6. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

my quiver is fish and sherlock. the sherlock is the best twin in the pow i have ever used and it feels pretty much like normal camber otherwise but you still get the benefits of rocker (better in pow, less catchy). best of both worlds you'll never feel like you have the 'wrong board" with either of them if these are the two you run

7. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

SHERLOCK

8. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

nug /thread

9. Qurph

Qurph

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Organ

philip-smith said: Hello all,
    ...the fish, is it wrong to ride it all the time?? What do you guys think,

i have the same affliction (when i found out they stopped making the fish ltd, i freaked and bought a backup) b/c it's the closest thing to surfing a mtn. with 88deg razor edges, stiff boots, and c60's i consistently rail the cleanest deepest cuts around even on hardpack days (tho not on icy days but then i just don't like to ride that crap at all).

in addtition to NOT riding fakey in fluff, the fish lacks projection out of turns. so i like the contrast of switching to a board that excels in that arena: custom x    

10. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

like doc said, the sherlock is great in pow. That would be a quiver-killer for you though, and you seem to love the fish, so I don't think it would be wise for you to replace it. You need something to complement it. The uninc is great but it doesn't get much love from you, so you must need something more 'fun'. I vote the nug. Even if you're not a freestyle guy, it will affect your riding the same way the fish makes you look 'pretty good in the soft stuff'. On the Nug, the smallest lips become super fun, and little 180's all over the place are soooo easy (and make you look great).
    My quiver is a Nug and a Sherlock.

11. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

I DON'T THINK ANYTHING CAN REPLACE A FISH. EVEN IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER BOARD THAT FLOATS WELL, THE WAY A FISH RIDE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM EVERYTHING ELSE

12. octopus

octopus

Loungin Since Oct '09
    this is boston, not LA

QUIVER.

WHAT I END UP RIDING. PUPPY IS GREAT FOR BULLETPROOF CONDITIONS

13. Horse Repairman

Horse Repairman

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I LIKE THE PART WHERE ALMOST EVERYTHING IN THAT PICTURE IS IN CAPS

14. philip smith

philip smith

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Cheshire, UK

Thank you to you all for your advice, there seems to be a lot of love on here for the Nug and the Sherlock.
    'Supra" What you said about the Sherlock makes sense and i def don't want a board to replace the fish, just one to compliment it, sounds like the nug is the way to go.

So I have spent the last few days glued to my iMac and have read and digested all 79 pages of the "Nug" thread.
    From what I can gather there are 5 boards with nug raduction
    Nug standard
    Nug - Directional
    Me Nug - same as standard one but with scary monster graphics
    Harvest - Similar concept to standard nug but with camber not rocker
    Super Hero - A bit like the nug, not ridden quite so short and it's flat
    Correct ???

So which one do I get and in what size.
    I really fancy trying one with rocker for that catch free fun feeling, so don't really see the point of me getting the Harvest, don't much care for the look of the ME so that leaves the std and directional ones is there that much difference between them not being an expert would I even notice it ?
    Looking at the spec sheets for rider weight a Std 150 and a Directional 152 is meant for riders 130-200lbs on a good day I am around 200lbs so at top limit for the board. My guess is I will be fine on either but it would be a mistake to go shorter - correct??
    If its just for resort messing about (as the fish will be used when there is chance of powder) could and should I go shorter for or would it be too much like an out of control skateboard. I can get pretty much any of the above on sale at a good discount.

Or do I wait and see what comes out in September one with flying v rocker ,best of both worlds maybe.

Thanks again

Phil

15. illocon

illocon

Loungin Since May '11
    Liverpool

I know you may struggle to find it in UK shops - and I've been looking around for it - but have you thought of the 150 Fishcuit?

16. nortonwhis

nortonwhis

Loungin Since Feb '10
    whis

horse-repairman said:  I LIKE THE PART WHERE ALMOST EVERYTHING IN THAT PICTURE IS IN CAPS

lol.
    that should count double or get a get out of jail free card.

17. philip smith

philip smith

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Cheshire, UK

philip-smith said: Thank you to you all for your advice, there seems to be a lot of love on here for the Nug and the Sherlock.
    'Supra" What you said about the Sherlock makes sense and i def don't want a board to replace the fish, just one to compliment it, sounds like the nug is the way to go.
    So I have spent the last few days glued to my iMac and have read and digested all 79 pages of the "Nug" thread.
    From what I can gather there are 5 boards with nug raduction
    Nug standard
    Nug - Directional
    Me Nug - same as standard one but with scary monster graphics
    Harvest - Similar concept to standard nug but with camber not rocker
    Super Hero - A bit like the nug, not ridden quite so short and it's flat
    Correct ???
    So which one do I get and in what size.
    I really fancy trying one with rocker for that catch free fun feeling, so don't really see the point of me getting the Harvest, don't much care for the look of the ME so that leaves the std and directional ones is there that much difference between them not being an expert would I even notice it ?
    Looking at the spec sheets for rider weight a Std 150 and a Directional 152 is meant for riders 130-200lbs on a good day I am around 200lbs so at top limit for the board. My guess is I will be fine on either but it would be a mistake to go shorter - correct??
    If its just for resort messing about (as the fish will be used when there is chance of powder) could and should I go shorter for or would it be too much like an out of control skateboard. I can get pretty much any of the above on sale at a good discount.
    Or do I wait and see what comes out in September one with flying v rocker ,best of both worlds maybe.
    Thanks again
    Phil

Anyone??

Please :-)

18. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

just gettin' started
    Loungin Since Aug '09

Was just cruisin through older threads to catch up on stuff.....looks like you got left hanging wanting a little more validation?

Still interested now or waiting for next season?

19. philip smith

philip smith

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Cheshire, UK

Hi,

Not a lot of snow left over here on Europe :-(
    So the new board would be for next season now, I was hoping to grab a bit of a bargain in an end of season closeout,
    Im no pro so doubt I could tell much difference anyway between a 2011/12 and a 2012/13 regular Nug
    Some more advice would still be greatly appreciated.

But I might be able to tell the difference between a regular Nug and the new Root and might be better waiting till October when they go on sale.

Phil

20. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

just gettin' started
    Loungin Since Aug '09

So Phil let me make a few observations.

First, is that unlike arithmetics where 2+2 always equals 4, there is hardly ever a 100% "right" or "wrong" choice. Sure buying a chicklet probably wouldn't be the best for you, but hopefully you get my point. Several posters echoed the same sentiments that you couldn't go wrong with a version of a Nug, Sherlock, Barracuda, etc. You've gotta be a damn good rider with excellent "board feel" to really and truly feel the nuances between boards that are just shades of grey different. In addition, what ultimately only matters is what you feel and like. If you're happy as a pig in shit with the Fish in most all conditions that you ride, then that's what works for you.....regardless what someone else or what some buying guide chart might tell you.

Second observation is just stepping back and asking.....why are you looking for a different board in the first place?? In other words, you said at the end that you didn't want a board to replace / be too similar to the Fish, but yet you spent the majority of the original post saying why you loved the Fish for you and where / how you ride? What would this different feeling / riding board be for then??

Let's start there before going on. I mean I'm not going to stop you from spending money if you want to, but it's not clear to me from the OP why you're in the market for a new board and what benefits / board feel you're looking for in said new stick....

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
NFL 2014 - 2 34 YouKnowLarry Ninety-Roll 4 minutes
"Safety Meeting" - 23316317318 9537 Dave99 Ninety-Roll 7 minutes
English Premier League 2014/2015 season 21 Mulligan Ninety-Roll 9 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23919293 2764 whoisminishred captmuff 24 minutes
FS: BERN BAKER EPS M/L AUDIO KNIT LINER BRAND NEW £55 SHIPPED UK PEEPS 1 blakspark blakspark 1 hour
Indoor Survival vs Outdoor Living 5 PDX..inc Spenser 1 hour
Darkest goggles on the market? 16 Dr. Dre Dave99 1 hour
FS: Burton [ak] Jackets & Pants 20 MikeHoncho NugFlutie 2 hours
Veeco Volcom Movie 2 Lionel Hutz Howdy 2 hours
Lookin for some camber...I think 24 Eli9422 Howdy 2 hours