Off-Season Log 2012 (ie.. when you're not riding)

(161 posts) (43 voices)
  • Started 2 years ago by Spenser
  • Latest reply from AKpeterson
take me to the bottom
  1. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

went hiking today with some buddies and had a soak in a hot river. Pretty fun.

2. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

rad, zkurd.

read about the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex & the Chinese Wall a bit this morning. i really want to make the trek out there this summer. any montana/pnwers been out there?

it also seems to have great potential as a zombie apocalypse survival area.

3. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

A couple mediocre riding days, but some stellar fishing this past week in CO has me really amped on fishing this year. I've been favoring boarding over fly fishing in terms of hall pass days for the last couple years, but this past week really reignited my love for standing in a stream in the back country. Solitude is a truly beautiful thing. This shitty winter should make for some pretty epic spring and early summer trout fishing.  

4. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

gerry said: rad, zkurd.
    read about the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex & the Chinese Wall a bit this morning. i really want to make the trek out there this summer. any montana/pnwers been out there?
    it also seems to have great potential as a zombie apocalypse survival area.

G-- I have been to the Bob Marshall Wilderness, it is very beautiful, I haven't made it to the chinese wall yet- it looks like some of the stuff in Glacier NP, which is nearby. Check out the Highline Trail in Glacier, I did it a couple years back, and it is so rad. I want to go back this year to see if I can find the wolverine that I watched snow surf on its belly down a glacier. Also, this is big time Griz country, so bring bear spray (it works better than a gun). You can stay at the Granite Chalet, if you make a reservation early enough. edit- all you have to do is hop on the train!

Z-- I love hot rivers, I stopped at the Boiling River in Yellowstone on my way back from shredding last week. It feels so good after a couple long days of snow slipping and not showering.    

5. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

went out one of my favorite trails with my roomie noe and the house dog/child aly for their first time. aly had a blast running around. great trail.. a couple miles from home, beautiful views all around, and you don't really see anything manmade

6. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

went to a favorite spot with a friend after work and had a couple beers as the sun went down. spring sunsets are getting better each day.

7. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

spent most of my day outside at various areas, starting with the same spot as the above sunset

8. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

video from that day ^.. made a silly little tidepoolin' edit with ryan (captainryanfarrell). i filmed underwater in the tidepools with my gopro and it's kinda cool. i guess it helps if you know ryan...

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

9. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Rad video Spenser.

Took the dogs out today on one of the lower elevation river trails. It was an amazing spring day with temps at 65+ on the trail. Walked 8 miles round trip, feeling sore now. Tested my new mess kit and cook stove, it's amazingly light and works really well.

S. Fork Walla Walla River

There are a few old cabins along the trail. This was the most unique.  

10. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

A few more pics.

The foot killer?

Happy family.  

11. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

awesome cabin

went on a new (to me) trail.. for some reason, have just never been on it and it was great. for shralp/z, it's at the end of that road we went on when we passed the avalanche area.. continues out that way for almost 2 miles on a rough trail on the mountainside along the ocean, and opens up to a nice little cove/beach with some old ruins from when it used to be some sort of docking area.

saw the one known as "mountain dog" at his house near the beginning of the trail

along the trail

opens up to the beach. this place is called dupont i guess

has an old dock and some other ruins, not sure what it used to be

more dawgs

heading back

12. sometimesdylan

sometimesdylan

Loungin Since Dec '10
    juneau

juneau history: dupont is where they use to keep all the explosives used by the mines. it's named after the dupont chemical company that supplied all of them. nice pics spenser.

13. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

the same dupont as is still around today?

14. sometimesdylan

sometimesdylan

Loungin Since Dec '10
    juneau

i think so, not 100% sure if the two companies were connected. i do know that all that land is for sale. wish i had a few more dollars to buy it haha

15. Muskrat

Muskrat

Loungin Since Sep '09

Cut out on studying and took a short bike ride/hike with the gf. Nice to get outside for a while and fool around.

16. FeRreLL

FeRreLL

Loungin Since Aug '10
    New Zealand

4 wakeskating sessions in the last 4 days. Fun Fun fun. Waters getting colder and winters only a month away cant wait.

17. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

ferrell said:  4 wakeskating sessions in the last 4 days. Fun Fun fun. Waters getting colder and winters only a month away cant wait.

When does Rua's open for shred?

18. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

went up to haines for the day yesterday with jerms. went up cause our friends, our oakley rep heather and her man ashley call (former pro), were giving him their old car. super sick little '95 saab, runs awesome. score for jerms.

headed up to the funny farm (our friend's house that the dad turned into a shred B&B years ago where all the dudes like gigi/nico/etc stay). it burned down a few months ago and they're rebuilding. it's coming quick and looking amazing. going to be insane when it's done.

putted around haines after that. saw andrew burns and one of the LP filmers/photos (assuming) when we were getting some food. then we headed to the ferry to wait to head home.. surrounded by a lot of the LP guys and other riders. among them.. wyatt stasinos, who's one of our favorites of all time. that was rad. ryland bell (jones pro), nick russel, and a few others. met burns later on the ferry.

highlight was ryland bringing us to smoke pot with him on the upper back deck. last fall when jones was having a lot of issues, i posted something about it on faceook one day when i was in a bad mood and he called me bunk for it. anyway, pretty sure he brought us over so he could bring that up. he was pretty smashed so that made it fun.. basically boiled down to him trying to "talk shit" about me, to me, for what i said.. then he got frustrated and eventually let it go because i wasn't reacting how he wanted. "you're beeing too calm!" i thought he was funny. anyway, can't judge a guy meeting him for the first time when he's that drunk. just a funny story now.

super fun day though.. one of the best i've had in a while. got a few pictures i'll post later.

19. Muskrat

Muskrat

Loungin Since Sep '09

Booked a campsite, flights ect. with my sister and dad to take a week trip to maine at the end of the summer. Spending 3 days at Baxter State Park planning on climbing mt. Katahdin. Then visiting my uncles cabin i haven't been to for about 10 years. Rest of the trip is still up in the air. Very excited muskrat!

20. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

spenser said: went up to haines for the day yesterday with jerms.

leaving juneau on a greybird morning with a fresh snow line right above sea level

video games on the ferry

jerms shooting one of the lighthouses

a highlight of the ferry ride

an insane house/property a ways outside of haines... ie the middle of nowhere.

levitation project truck in haines waiting to go home

the new saab

bruce bauer telling us the story of the new funny farm

what's left of the old FF

only thing really wrong with the car was a bad battery connection. quick fix, and all was well. runs like a champ.

a very greybird evening return to juneau

so we hung out in the bar for a while

21. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Suppose this can go here too, I could triple post in the camping thread I spose.

Went out to Fruita to ride some bikes and pitch some tentz. A rad time with great food and fun bike riding times. Stoked on my new Jetboil and steep&cheap tent bargain. Also stoked I can run a Bialetti with a Jetboil burner, I was a bit concerned it wouldn't heat properly without the fins etc. My whole tent is full of sand and ash, but man we had some awesome campfires.

22. FeRreLL

FeRreLL

Loungin Since Aug '10
    New Zealand

enn-zed said:

ferrell said:  4 wakeskating sessions in the last 4 days. Fun Fun fun. Waters getting colder and winters only a month away cant wait.

When does Rua's open for shred?

16th June for Turoa, highly doubt it though, there wasnt a drop of snow on the mountain a week ago haha. Dreams are free.

23. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Walking around the local reservoir a couple times a week with the dogs. It feels good to be outdoors.

24. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

shralp said:

My ski resort in the summer time.

25. rooftop

rooftop

Loungin Since Nov '09
    masshole.

this thread constantly reminds me to get off the east coast

26. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

hip-bag said:

shralp said:

My ski resort in the summer time.

haha, that's a wheat field.

27. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Your point?

28. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

Look at the steepness!

29. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

went on a little bike ride along the eaglecrest road, and spotted a coyote crossing, still with its winter coat it seems, but i'm no expert. spent a few minutes watching, being curious of eachother

30. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

rooftop said:  this thread constantly reminds me to get off the east coast

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.