Off-Season Log 2012 (ie.. when you're not riding)

(161 posts) (43 voices)
  • Started 2 years ago by Spenser
  • Latest reply from AKpeterson
take me to the bottom
  1. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

season's not over for everyone, but it sounds like it has been for some of you. as usual, here's the off-season equivalent of the captain's log.. same idea. your daily activities.... skateboarding, hiking, camping, vacations, work, just a log of whatever you're up to in your world.

i'll start with this. couple weeks ago, drove out the road on a nice day (march 1) with my friend jessica and played with a video feature on my camera.

this is the best camping spot in juneau and it's a bit of a secret. out the road, off the side down the hills, through the woods to a spit of land. there's a tunnel through the trees.. on one end it opens to where the sun rises, and the other opens to the sun set where the fire pit is. you spend your nights next to the fire with a beer and something to eat, not to mention your friends, as you watch the sun set on the mountains across the ocean channel.. and wake up in your tent to the sunrise on the other side. it's the most beautiful and perfect place i've ever been

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

2. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

and today, an evening stroll with jessica to one of my favorite places. a few more miles out the road from where i live is the end of the north douglas road, and there are some great trails. this one is a boardwalk through the woods to a tidal flat.

looking back toward mgcinnis and the valley, across the channel

a secret spot at a favorite spot

going back through the meadows to the road

3. FeRreLL

FeRreLL

Loungin Since Aug '10
    New Zealand

I think ima stop by Alaska next year, it looks like a truly rad place, very beautiful. My off season is spent doing alot of this:

4. dood

dood

Loungin Since Jul '10
    VT

New Delhi
    19 March

Kinda bummed I'm in this thread so early but it was time to pull the pin on Gulmarg. Mixed season: January marred by treacherous avalanche conditions; February inundated by tourists - long lines and grumpy Russians; soaring temperatures arrived by middle March.

Leaving Delhi tomorrow for the Andaman Islands and looking to surf Kumari Point.

5. FeRreLL

FeRreLL

Loungin Since Aug '10
    New Zealand

Jealous^^^^^ Im sitting on the couch right now with a swollen and bruised foot listening to the first decent groundswell of the summer hitting the beach, So gutted. Had a bit of an accident on the jetski doing step offs at a local spot x yesterday and can barely walk now. Not stoked that the surfs going to pump for the next week which will make being a cripple so much worse haha.

6. pete_moss

pete_moss

Loungin Since Jan '12
    Cincinnasty, OH

The landscapes in Spenser's pictures are incredible.

7. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

went to duluth last week for a mini spring break.

my friends and i tried to live as hobo as possible. ie ate beans over a fire (our total food cost for two full days of meals was $8 a person), slept in the back of a truck in an abandoned campground, and generally lived out of the truck for the whole trip.

we also squeezed in some snowboarding, which i should add to the on-snow captains log, too, i guess, and explored an old run-down school building complete with old tunnels.

photos to come when i get my film back.

8. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

so offended that Spenser, he of the awesome season which is still going strong, is the one to start this thread. It is a slap in the face to all of us in the midwest and east coast.

9. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

spenser, have you considered editing webisodes professionally? editing-wise, your vids are on par with anything i see from shred companies. how long does it take you to put those together on average? and when you shoot video, are you thinking about how it will fit in the edit? just curious

10. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Been pedaling. A few weeks too early. :[

11. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Took a walk downtown on Friday with our dogs, usually a 3 mile round trip, but the weather was nice, around 60 degrees, so we made it a 6 miler and walked by some historic neighborhoods. They built some rad houses 100+ years ago.

12. j_dawg

j_dawg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    deutschland

Cherry blossoms from yesterday (already).

13. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

Lot's of hiking the last few weeks along with mountain biking.

14. yechiboarder770

yechiboarder770

Loungin Since Jan '11
    Features Bro...It's all about the features.

Bringing out the longboard through the streets of NYC. Want to get into surfing but seems it will have to wait until I get out West. Maybe I'll take the bike out too. Winter was short, but every day on the shred was great!

15. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

working afternoons by Detroit Metro Airport air freight shipping and reciving, watching snowboard videos at my desk and daydreaming about riding out west (never been anywhere but michigan hills :/) .

also if anyone needs anything big shipped domestic or internationally i might be able to help :) doesnt need to be big im assuming fedex/UPS handles anything small pack for you guys.

16. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

bad63lac said:  
    Been pedaling. A few weeks too early. :[

What sort of chain is that? Looks secksy.

17. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Its a bmx half-link chain. This one is made by KMC I believe.

Other than looks, I'd probably never get one again. Heavy and it's very finicky with setting pins and a royal bitch with standard chain tools.

Only convenient thing about it is that the half link design lets you get a more customized chain length vs standard links. I like my wheel slammed all the way forward in the dropouts.

New school bmx kids with freehubs and crazy small gears like 23/8 need them because a standard chain wont wrap around an 8 or 9 tooth gear.    

18. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

yechiboarder770 said:  Bringing out the longboard through the streets of NYC. Want to get into surfing but seems it will have to wait until I get out West. Maybe I'll take the bike out too. Winter was short, but every day on the shred was great!

NYC is a great surf town. Check out LB and Rockaway

19. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

I got to ride my mtn bike more than my snowboard this year, with the East Coast lack of snow this year. Still managed 22 days, 17 in VT. It was definately quality over quantity. Helped put in some new trails at my local spot and becasue of the mild winter they're already broken in well. And rode bikes with a bunch of derilicts

20. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Ron Mexico said:

yechiboarder770 said:  Bringing out the longboard through the streets of NYC. Want to get into surfing but seems it will have to wait until I get out West. Maybe I'll take the bike out too. Winter was short, but every day on the shred was great!

NYC is a great surf town. Check out LB and Rockaway

I was puzzled by his comment as well. Especially someone wanting to get into it.

21. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

Went on a 10 mile hike earlier in the day. Followed a stream behind my land with 2 friends up to one of the major rivers around here then hiked a different tributary back.

22. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

gerry said: went to duluth last week for a mini spring break.
    my friends and i tried to live as hobo as possible. ie ate beans over a fire (our total food cost for two full days of meals was $8 a person), slept in the back of a truck in an abandoned campground, and generally lived out of the truck for the whole trip.
    we also squeezed in some snowboarding, which i should add to the on-snow captains log, too, i guess, and explored an old run-down school building complete with old tunnels.
    photos to come when i get my film back.

23. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

no matter what people do with post and hell, even instagram stuff, there's just something unique about actual film. love it. the coloring, lighting, and overall aesthetic of those photos is great. i like using my DSLR but i miss shooting with film.

24. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

just went to the end of north douglas (a couple miles from the house) for sunset with the dudes, had a couple beers each on the beach.

our friend josh from anchorage... been planning on moving to juneau ever since he first started to see it

phil

josh

moon was out too

josh and haden

haden napping

25. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

that looks beautiful spense. I need to get out of here and get to a more beautiful part of the country

26. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i gave it a 3/10

27. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

Where in AK is Juneau? and what's the population?

28. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

southeast. something around 30k. "southeast" is about all that tells you anything about juneau at all, but you would have to know southeast ak to get anything from that anyway. also, southeast ak is the northwest of the northwest. just saying.

29. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

spenser said: southeast. something around 30k. "southeast" is about all that tells you anything about juneau at all, but you would have to know southeast ak to get anything from that anyway. also, southeast ak is the northwest of the northwest. just saying.

coming to live there eventually.

30. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

I'm hoping to be in either AK or North Cal in the next few years.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23857858859 25745 TahoeChappy Jerms 13 minutes
Japan Pow - 238910 273 Supra spoonfish 18 minutes
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23202203204 6097 shralp LilTeichMonster 43 minutes
2015 Snowboard Movies Thread - 2 49 red baron LilTeichMonster 1 hour
iPhone. - 23444546 1376 McKagan13 oakwood-jones 1 hour
The Official 2015 thread - 23104105106 3179 whoisminishred awd1105 1 hour
FS: Seasonal Unemployment Softgoods SALE: ANALOG G-Shock - 2 35 captmuff captmuff 2 hours
the AG thread - 23124125126 3759 JP passing gas 2 hours
[sticky] Welcome Newbz - check in here - 23495051 1503 shralp Snowboardty 2 hours
Burton Freedback? 12 MA3E captmuff 3 hours