Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

It's your money or your life...   

Doc, that sounds like a tough situation and I hope it works out for you.

What you said about my salary is part of the reason I am making the change. I recognize and appreciate the fact I am pretty fortunate in my situation and better off than most. My wife and i can afford our life, save and be happy without me killing myself to try and make even more. and Without getting in to another cost of living debate NYC is a tough place to live because of the cost and the environment breeding people who are chasing money, prestige and material things.

Since I would actually prefer to not live here, I am choosing to remove myself from falling in to that path and choosing to live a simpler life. I was living a rich life before and that is much better than being rich money wise.

2. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Thanks, my life has been a 'tough situation" since 2009.

I congratulate you on your choice and i wish more people thought you like do.

3. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

doc, i'm curious - are you still chiropracting? how far north? fort mac?

4. RideTimeless

RideTimeless

Loungin Since Sep '10
    10x10 box...

I forget what the law is in terms of leaving company employment, but can't you just leave on the spot? Or is it a 2 weeks notice? Is there new terms to agree on if you stay for 1 month? 1 month is a long time when you know you're leaving the company.  

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

There's no law. It's employment at will. You can get up and walk away whenever the wind picks up if you want.  

The whole "two weeks notice" thing is a courtesy.

6. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

kaston said:  doc, i'm curious - are you still chiropracting? how far north? fort mac?

yeah i'm filling in for a buddy who has a broken hand for the next 5-8 weeks then i'm going

MWD(directional drilling) in the NWT

7. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

@drjcv

is it required to go through some training for that or they can just hire anybody???

8. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

Shit, to the above points they want me to stay on through 4/13!! I understand they need a transition period but I am at will and do not want to stick around that long. I don't really want to piss them off too much but I need to do what is good for me and acceptable to my new/old job. Just another downside of working at such a small company.

9. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

drjcv said:

kaston said:  doc, i'm curious - are you still chiropracting? how far north? fort mac?

yeah i'm filling in for a buddy who has a broken hand for the next 5-8 weeks then i'm going

nice, you gonna make some serious cash!  
    edit-
    oh I thought you meant you are going to be the directional driller, but either way, a Measuring While Drilling job will be good as well, lots of dumb ass peeps on the rigs though  

10. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

drjcv said:

shralp said: Doc, sounds bad. Why choose that knowing what your getting into?

My options have pretty much disappeared. I,m lucky to have friends with connections that can get me into this without me having to pay a lot of shitty dues
    Edit: thanks Mike

Rough Doc, hope it works out in the best way possible for you.

11. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

drjcv said:

take care up there. i know a couple guys who had to move to fort mac and described it as a "soul sucking place". hope this is a temporary thing

12. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Meanwhile, in the Complain Train thread, Apache can't find someone reliable to get him a fake ID.

:(

13. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Loungin Since Mar '10

tekniq33 said: Shit, to the above points they want me to stay on through 4/13!! I understand they need a transition period but I am at will and do not want to stick around that long. I don't really want to piss them off too much but I need to do what is good for me and acceptable to my new/old job. Just another downside of working at such a small company.

Give them two weeks. They need to find a replacement for you period. You have a new job with a new company to start taking care of (again). I wouldn't worry about them not giving you a good reference or whatever, because you don't give them the additional time. Many "references" usually provide very minimal information or good information, but rarely negative information. A lot of places are scared of lawsuits. Anyway, after you are gone, they are going to "struggle" for a bit either way, if you give them two weeks or a month.

14. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

ado said: Word, never burn a bridge. It's not like they'd go home and rethink their whole life if you went ballistic on them.

But steal the office supplies before you leave

15. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

89c51 said: @drjcv
    is it required to go through some training for that or they can just hire anybody???

there is some training but its really more about who you know. usually you start on a conventional rig chucking pipes or whatever and they "pull" guys who seem to have a good head on their shouders out for this kind of job, which essentially means sitting and watching instruments/computers. they have trouble finding people who want to work more than 2 weeks a month though since its always in the middle of nowhere. i'm going to be workign as many days as legally allowed, which i think is 14 in a row, one day off, another 14 etc times several months at a time.

16. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

Was the story of how it went from chiropracting to this ever shared? If so, I missed it.

17. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

From cracks to fissures:a doc's tale.

Good luck.

18. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

ado said: Was the story of how it went from chiropracting to this ever shared? If so, I missed it.

in 2009 i got separated/divorced (not my choice). I already had significant money pressure from the economoic collapse (student loans, high cost of living, 250K loan for the clinic i bought 2 years before). also in 2009 the government stopped subsidizing chiropractic so the publics cost rose 40% overnight. this caused a 30% drop in patient visits.

with the financial pressures from those 3 things i struggled for a couple years trying to stay afloat but ended up having to do a bankruptcy and lost the clinic last fall. i moved up to Red Deer (my home town) and joined a clinic here owned by a friend. unfortunatley promises were reneged on and a situation between him and his partner has made it impossible for me to make a go of it here. my friend (the one partner) broke his hand 2 weeks ago though so being the upstanding human that i am i decided to not leave him in the lurch and stay until he returns.

i've been doing this 12 years. i have no other job skills or training. I am lucky to have connections that can get me into the drilling so at least i can make some money, the job will suck and being away will suck but at least then i can just be an absentee dad, instead of a deadbeat absentee dad, and hopefully this downward financial spiral will stop.

/fucking sob story #thatslife

19. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

vibes.

i respect you for what you're doing to provide for yourself, and your daughter. hopefully things turn around soon.

20. octopus

octopus

Loungin Since Oct '09
    this is boston, not LA

good luck doc. it's gonna be tough out there

21. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

I was aware of the first sentence, the rest was news. That's rough doc, vibes and all that... sounds like you'll be the first one clapping when the economy comes back around.

22. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Does this mean you will be MIA on EL?

23. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

shralp said: Does this mean you will be MIA on EL?

the internets are everywhere so hopefully not ;)

24. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

well thanks folks

as far as EL and i don't know, we'll see, i'm more hateful than ever (in general) so i'll prolly get banned at some point anyway.

25. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Sorry to hear that, Jason.
    Good luck in the North, don't go crazy and keep remembering why you are up there and that it is temporary.

26. ryanppax

ryanppax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Buck Fuck West Virginia

AMEN!

27. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

alkasquawlik said:  vibes.
    i respect you for what you're doing to provide for yourself, and your daughter. hopefully things turn around soon.

What alka said, hang in there as best you can J!

28. doubleshot

doubleshot

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Boston

@tekniq,
    great story. Good to hear you chose what's right for you. Most of us can relate to your situation: Either we feel that we don't make enough, work too much, or both. Ideally we would all say that money doesn't matter, choose happiness. But the truth is money is necessary for happiness, but just not sufficient. That's why your question of money vs life is such a tough one. We all need a certain level of income to provide for our lifestyle. At the same time we all want our work to be enjoyable and hopefully meaningful. I think it's always going to be a struggle to find a balance between money/work/life/ regardless of what field you are in. One thing my wife and I find helpful is focusing on what our priorities are and not to lose sight of them. Hope everything works out for ya

@doc: good luck man

29. sometimesdylan

sometimesdylan

Loungin Since Dec '10
    juneau

drjcv said: well thanks folks
    as far as EL and i don't know, we'll see, i'm more hateful than ever (in general) so i'll prolly get banned at some point anyway.

every forum needs a hater; you fill a necessary ecological roll. drill deep.

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Japan Pow - 2391011 311 Supra SGboarder 1 hour
Edumacashon - 23979899 2955 red baron oakwood-jones 2 hours
Get Baked With Spenser 30 Spenser Bielawski 3 hours
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23227228229 6855 JungleLarry SuburbanLegend8 3 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23110111112 3338 whoisminishred Mr.KnowItAll 4 hours
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 160 awd1105 MikeHoncho 5 hours
FS/FT: 2013 Burton Fishcuit (Black Scales) 3 LilTeichMonster LilTeichMonster 6 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23860861862 25856 TahoeChappy zkurd 6 hours
Albuquerque 9 zkurd j_dawg 6 hours
Fun Powdery Video Thread - 23252627 801 Lomax Supra 6 hours