No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

It's your money or your life...   

Right on, tek.
    I've just made a move to get the balance right. Was being paid very well as an ex-pat to work overseas. The environment was that 10% of the staff did 90% of the work. I was doing 6am to 7pm a lot, fighting the same issues daily and not happy. I still got out to shred a bit, but the work stress was killer and career prospects looked like I'd only end up with less free time and more stress, along with the potential of being shipped to bumfuck nowhere.
    So I moved. Salary is much less but not in any way terrible. Hours are good (7-4:30) but plenty flexible so if I want to do 6-3 and shred after work it's not a problem. The work is a little less structured and planned but more rewarding and career prospects are good. If I have to take a call at night or on the weekend I don't mind because I know it's important and the people I need to deal with are working their asses off.

When I can sit in the mountains drinking a beer & watching the sunset after a day splitboarding, I'm pretty fuckin stoked on my decision. Fuck the money, making less has made me much happier.

2. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

It's all a game. Play it well.

3. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

enn-zed said:  Right on, tek.
    I've just made a move to get the balance right. Was being paid very well as an ex-pat to work overseas. The environment was that 10% of the staff did 90% of the work. I was doing 6am to 7pm a lot, fighting the same issues daily and not happy. I still got out to shred a bit, but the work stress was killer and career prospects looked like I'd only end up with less free time and more stress, along with the potential of being shipped to bumfuck nowhere.
    So I moved. Salary is much less but not in any way terrible. Hours are good (7-4:30) but plenty flexible so if I want to do 6-3 and shred after work it's not a problem. The work is a little less structured and planned but more rewarding and career prospects are good. If I have to take a call at night or on the weekend I don't mind because I know it's important and the people I need to deal with are working their asses off.
    When I can sit in the mountains drinking a beer & watching the sunset after a day splitboarding, I'm pretty fuckin stoked on my decision. Fuck the money, making less has made me much happier.

Yay, very happy for you :)

Same with you, Tekniq (I read it technine every time... sorry :P). Good for you! Some people might be cut out for this lifestyle, but when you realize you are not, get out of it and get a job that makes you happy.

This is not the exact article I was looking for but summarizes it very well.. the new generation has just other expectations in regards to a work/life balance.

4. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11
    the orient♨↔§formerly peh

Word.

I worked a lot back in the day as well

I had to be back at office for a night meeting when our first kid was born...

Lot of family and friends came to hospital that week and left after waiting for me

I'd have to say however that the sacrifices were worth it in my case

Nor do i work as much anymore in terms of hours

5. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

When I was interviewing for engineering jobs after I graduated, several interviewers asked me how I felt about long hours. I always gave them a halfhearted answer and basically dodged the question. When I interviewed for my current job, I asked my soon-to-be boss and coworker both what kind of hours would be involved. They both said exactly 40, and that's how it's been since I started. Talking to some of my former classmates, I've come to realize that this is a HUGE perk. They expect me to be at work thinking about work-related things for those 40 hours and nothing more.

6. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

youknowlarry said:

shralp said: Quality of life is over looked by society. I would rather have a middle income job that is low stress and allows me to enjoy life than a higher pay, high stress job.

There are more than a few people that thrive in high stress jobs and get most of their satisfaction from that challenge. Sure, they don't spend as much time with their families or out on the slopes, but some of them don't want to.
    Different strokes, man. There's no cookie-cutter solution, and living a virtuous life is about finding your own balance.
    PPP

Yeah, understood, that's why I was sharing my personal opinion man. We all know that not everyone is like me.

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

The point was that "quality of life" means something different to everyone, so saying that it's "overlooked" is unfair just be because you don't understand the circumstance.

8. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Good point, my mind was clouded by a taco wagon burrito and some sangria. Muy bien, señor!

Personally I would doubt that some dude that is working 70+ hrs week and yelling at his coworkers about vacation is really a happy guy, enjoying a good quality of life. But maybe that's what gets him off. Maybe that dude fapps to TPS reports?

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

You'd be surprised. I've talked to a few of the Type A Chief Officer types and they genuinely like fucking shit up.

I wouldn't say they're the type of dude I'd like to share a beer with, but to each their own...

10. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

And to qualify, I've talked to a few that have been that type their whole lives, then woke up, said "What the fuck am I doing with my life?", and changed accordingly.

I don't feel that type or lifestyle is sustainable.

11. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11
    the orient♨↔§formerly peh

youknowlarry said:  And to qualify, I've talked to a few that have been that type their whole lives, then woke up, said "What the fuck am I doing with my life?", and changed accordingly.
    I don't feel that type or lifestyle is sustainable.

(shinobi raises hand)

12. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

I tend to avoid those types in the workplace.

13. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

I have no ambitions of being filthy rich. Give me 60k a year at a job that is intrinsically satisfying, one that I want to go to on most mornings and I'll be the happiest guy around. Kind of at a crossroad in my life right now and I'm trying to go back to school in order to make this a reality. But right now I think I hate my job just as much as you do tekniq and I only make 1/3 (maybe 1/4?) as much. :(  

14. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

good for you tekniq. i remember your posts on the subject and am glad for you.

15. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Hoping I can find the right balance myself. Graduating University in a couple months, nothing set as far as work goes. Likely going to stay out West as I don't have any plans to give up snowboarding or summer activities. I could likely make really good money if a job in the oilfields opened up (I'm an earth science major) but I'd rather stay in BC in mining; its an industry I have experience in and it will allow me to stay in the mountains. Wouldn't have it any other way, I would hate living in the prairies.

16. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

Offer to return to old job went 100% official today!

After word spread got a lot of contacts from my old coworkers telling me they were excited to have me back which made me feel even better about the decision.

Will post again once I have resigned, which should be next Tues.

17. asianstick

asianstick

Loungin Since Mar '11
    Chicago

Can you please do a "fuck you fuck you you're cool fuck you" ala Half Baked and record it?

18. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Loungin Since Mar '10

asianstick said: Can you please do a "fuck you fuck you you're cool fuck you" ala Half Baked and record it?

+ 1 

19. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

Do an upper decker and leave a fish in an unoccupied cubicle before you leave.

20. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Loungin Since Mar '10

ado said: Do an upper decker and leave a fish in an unoccupied cubicle before you leave.

Or the shrimpchair.

21. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

Finally resigned tonight.

Unfortunately did not go at all as planned. I was not as direct or blunt as I wanted to be about expressing my displeasure and real reasons for leaving. Admittedly chickened out a bit about telling the boss he is the reason I want out. He said that I should expect pressure in a job like this and i kept saying it is not the pressure it is the way it is expressed. I pretty much babbled and made the secondary reasons seem more important.

Afterwards I took the #2 guy aside and told him I chickened out and wanted to get it off my chest and that the biggest reason I am leaving is because I don't want to work for the boss.

He was very understanding and says he thinks the same sometimes. That part went better but still bummed about my lame performance.

THe real reason i am disappointed is because they want me through the end of the month!! I wanted them to throw me out asap and have a little time off. oh well, the deed is done and i can move on soon enough.

22. octopus

octopus

Loungin Since Oct '09
    this is boston, not LA

nevermind 

23. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Well good for you. Kind of blunts the tip a bit when we,re talking 100k vs 120k though ( or whatever). Not to downplay your situation but it's not like you're going from CEO to shoe shiner

Anyway about to do the opposite of you. Going to have to go work up north just for the money. Job will be shit. Hours will be long and will likely go months at a time without seeing friends/family. Oh well whatever.

24. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Doc, sounds bad. Why choose that knowing what your getting into?

25. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

shralp said: Doc, sounds bad. Why choose that knowing what your getting into?

Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

26. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

Congrats Tek

Sorry Doc. Feel for you and the fam. Hope it all works out.

27. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

shralp said: Doc, sounds bad. Why choose that knowing what your getting into?

My options have pretty much disappeared. I,m lucky to have friends with connections that can get me into this without me having to pay a lot of shitty dues

Edit: thanks Mike

28. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

Bummer Doc, sorry to hear that.

29. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Loungin Since Mar '10

tekniq33 said: Finally resigned tonight.
    Unfortunately did not go at all as planned. I was not as direct or blunt as I wanted to be about expressing my displeasure and real reasons for leaving. Admittedly chickened out a bit about telling the boss he is the reason I want out. He said that I should expect pressure in a job like this and i kept saying it is not the pressure it is the way it is expressed. I pretty much babbled and made the secondary reasons seem more important.
    Afterwards I took the #2 guy aside and told him I chickened out and wanted to get it off my chest and that the biggest reason I am leaving is because I don't want to work for the boss.
    He was very understanding and says he thinks the same sometimes. That part went better but still bummed about my lame performance.
    THe real reason i am disappointed is because they want me through the end of the month!! I wanted them to throw me out asap and have a little time off. oh well, the deed is done and i can move on soon enough.

What you want to say, and what you should say usually aren't the same thing. I think you should always try to leave on good terms from a job, no matter how much it sucks.

30. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

Word, never burn a bridge. It's not like they'd go home and rethink their whole life if you went ballistic on them.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
FS: Burton, NOW, Union & more. 3 awd1105 awd1105 14 minutes
Random shred news and etc... - 23545556 1676 Junkshow illocon 19 minutes
"Safety Meeting" - 23316317318 9527 Dave99 Dave99 45 minutes
Camping & Backpacking Appreciation Thread - 23202122 633 shralp Dave99 48 minutes
Man's (and woman's) best friend - 23686970 2090 El Duderino Duhg 1 hour
Does anyone like their barracuda? 21 drjcv EMHM00 2 hours
Anybody work for EVO or have a connect there? 12 NugFlutie NugFlutie 2 hours
The Official Offspring (kids, not the band) Thread - 23373839 1158 peh760603 NugFlutie 2 hours
MOVING SALE!! EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! NOW WITH EVEN MORE!! 25 shenanigans shenanigans 3 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23852853854 25615 TahoeChappy Dave99 11 hours