• 3 Members Subscribed To Topic

Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09

splitboard/ transceiver questions   

some people don't like NOT having that inside edge as well(or outside depending on how you like to orient the "skis")

2. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

true. cant say I've ever been out there and thought, "damn, I wish I had an inside edge".

3. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

get on some steep ass icey shit, and you will. But I'm a pusso

4. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

Been there, Mr. Chomps solved them problems.

5. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

I learned the value of crampons watching Jerms try to get up a steep, totally slick section in the trees with a heavy ass camera bag on his back

6. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

"woo, nature!"

Fuck I miss splitting...

7. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

ya, I need chomps, hopefully pick some up this weekend

8. txb0115

txb0115

Loungin Since Aug '14
    SLC... AKA Mormon HQ

Crampons save so much energy when it gets icy... Or you're on a ridge and you keep going from north to south facing... I got some this year and was blown away at how much energy i saved by not having to "muscle" my way through the shitty sections

9. Seth

Seth

Loungin Since Feb '11
    7yW

matty said: Yup. Prowder binding saddles. A huge pain in the ass to set up, but they allow a lot of adjustability. I just hope that they continue to play nicely with my Sparks. Aluminum bases vs. steel alloy pucks...

@Matty how are the Prowder saddles working with the Spark's?

10. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

I had to de-burr them a little bit and rub some wax on them to get the sparks to slide on/off more easily, but they've worked well the one-and-a-half times that I've used them. It's just been too warm this Winter in the PNW to go splitting unless you want to do a LOT of hiking to access the snow level.

Overall, I like the design. The saddles allow you to use the original 4x2 inserts on a custom split board, so stance adjustability is just as good as it was before you cut your board. It will be interesting to see if the durability of the saddles and the inserts (after the board has been cut right next to them) will be good enough. I also like that the saddles allow for nose-heel adjustability of the entire binding for stance centering without screwing up where your foot sits on the binding for tour mode.

11. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

do the magnetos require different crampons?

12. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

ya, you are gonna want the Sabertooth, it is for the magnetos (tesla system), and different from Mr.Chomps, I just picked up a pair, and they are super slick

also, I saw that LB snow in Missoula is having a sale on Spark binders, 20% off, if anyone is searching for a pair

13. joshscott187

joshscott187

Loungin Since Apr '12
    London

Looking to pick up a split board for next season. Rented a Rossingol XV split with K-split 30s in la Grave and really enjoyed my first tour up the Col du Lautaret. I liked the board but felt it was a bit big at 167cm (though liked the float). Do you guys tend to run splits vastly bigger than your freeride boards? I have a 159 BSOD and have been looking at some deals on the jones solution / hovercraft... I wanted to know if they ride big or small for their length? Also torn between a more pow specific shape or directional twin for my split setup.

14. ihriep

ihriep

Loungin Since Jan '13
    WA

a lot of people advocate running a longer split. I disagree with this. When in the BC you want to be comfortable on the board. Plus if it has been nuking most likely you will be riding lifts anyways.

15. codzilla

codzilla

Loungin Since Nov '13
    Washington

I'm also trying to be split ready for next season. leaning towards the DIY route with the prowder kit because it seems the cheapest route board wise so I can spend some more money on bindings and gear. I've also been encouraged to go longer, but my resort board is a 161 slash straight that I really enjoy. I'm 5'11 / 175 lbs. don't plan on any overnight trips, just looking to get comfortable over the next few seasons. anybody have any thoughts on splitting the straight? would a 161 be adequate with a day pack?

16. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home

I ride a 156 as my all mountain and a 158 for deep haul ass days and my splits are 158s. If you go bigger then your powder resort ride don't go much bigger.
    My thoughts have been stiffer and cambered are good things for the climbing and putting in a skin track.

17. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09

like everything there is a trade off. whats good for the way up might not be as good for the way down, but it all works.

18. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

my basic suggestion to people is that the split you get is a board you'd actually want to ride in "typical" backcountry conditions, and with a pack on your back. in theory this largely means natural snowfall, but you always hit variables at some point, on the way up and the way down... ice, wind blown crust, firm pack, etc.. it's not all pow unless conditions are dreamy. ideally it should be a board you want to ride in fresh powder, that also holds up to variables in a way you're happy with. for some that could be a fish, and for some it's a big, stiff freeride board.

find your criteria based on board-style meets backcountry-performance, and narrow down to a few models, IMO.. whether that's another "all mountain" shape, a classic pow board (malolo, charlie, that type of thing), or something fishy and more drastic. if you're going for the same (or similar) shape as your regular board you ride in pow and all around, you might go with the next size up to balance it all out, but that's just a suggestion. just remember that resort conditions are not backcountry conditions.

for codzilla, I would ideally suggest a straight 63 if that's the deck you want to split. obviously a 61 will work too, but you're not going to a resort. just my opinion. the straight isn't a wild pow shape but is a nice floaty board, so either one is fine in the end. if you are thinking of splitting the straight you already have, then don't worry about the size

for joshscott, I have experience with the BSOD and hovercraft. the hovercraft, per size, rides a bit bigger, wheras I and a a grip of others find the BSOD to actually ride a little smaller than it is, though not as much in terms of float. anyway, the hover 56 specs are actually most identical to the solution 62 wide... 1mm waist difference, and the hover actually has 1cm more edge. it's a unique design... like a big freeride board with a normal shape, and also a short pow board with a crazy shape, which is why it rides so great in so many conditions, except switch....

I'm also a 59 guy when it comes to the BSOD. for you, I would suggest the hover 56 no question, and for the solution..... the 59 will be the most similar size to your BSOD overall, with extra float from the big nose. the 61 will be more of your typical split size based on your regular deck, and I think I'd suggest that the most. 62W would be the top-out point, just based on the nearly identical specs to the hover 56 minus the tail kick. I have been eying a solution lately too, and it's between the 61 and 62W. if you are basing this on your BSOD, I would get the 61. 62W has 9mm more width for extra float if you want it.

blah blah blah blah ramble ramble      

19. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

speaking of trade offs.. of course this is a preference and opinion, but I literally can't think of a single trade off going up VS down on the hovercraft, per my needs. literally the only thing is not having a real tail kick to ride switch.. but I don't care about that, so it doesn't matter for me.

on the way up, it's cambered and not too long, so great grip with easy maneuverability and light weight. on the way down, the shape floats awesome and the ride is full-size but with extra maneuverability. personally, couldn't ask for better criteria. I'm not "into" Jones the brand or the guy, but it's a damn nice board, both as a solid or a split.

20. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

hovercraft is guaranteed to take you places like this every day

21. codzilla

codzilla

Loungin Since Nov '13
    Washington

hey thanks for the responses dudes, i appreciate the input. splittin my 61 straight soon with the prowder kit and pairing with some magnetos. hopin to "get my feet wet" for cheap with this route and maybe in the next few seasons see where I'm at. the hover was at the top of the list for the brief moment that buying a new board was an option!

22. ihriep

ihriep

Loungin Since Jan '13
    WA

If you have never gone splitting before I would recommend going to the mt baker splitfest this month. Come demo some boards and see if you like it before you cut a board i half

23. SLiM253

SLiM253

Loungin Since Feb '12
    Tacoma, WA

i'm lookin to get bindings in the near future but have a couple questions first.

other than the obvious baseplates, are there any major differences between the spark afterburners and the magnetos? i was thinking about getting magnetos and changing out the ankle and toe straps and buckles, but wasn't sure if there are any other meaningful differences. also, the new tesla system seems rad over the old pin garbage, but should i hold out and get some karakorams? they have their +'s and -'s, but price is a big -. also idk how i feel about the release being the heel loop as that seems like it would be troublesome to release with gloves/mits on. appreciate any useful input. thanks

24. happyskier

happyskier

Loungin Since Mar '15

Mags are perfect, Afterburners are to stiff - my $3 worth

Don't go with the other company unless you like issues in the backcountry...

25. ihriep

ihriep

Loungin Since Jan '13
    WA

Magnetos are slightly lighter, but I have heard of people getting snow in between the spaces that are milled out in the baseplate. Thus the whole setup ends up weighing more.

Spark>Karakoram everyday of the week. Less moving parts

26. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

the main difference on snow is the burner's stiffer highback. the bases are basically the same on pucks, magneto is just cored and a hair lighter, but we're talking about an amount that does not matter. the burner straps are also higher end from burton, but that doesn't say anything factual about comfort, and doesn't affect the ride of the bindings.

to say burners are too stiff would be to say a force/cartel is too stiff, as that's pretty much how they translate on a split. the highback is stiff straight back, and has a medium-supportive torsional flex, just like a force/cartel/etc. the magneto/blaze highback is only slightly softer torsionally, and has a slight "give" at the top, but is still supportive. to me the burner series feels EXACTLY right, as a guy who prefers a force/factory/cartel style binding. the magneto is super close on snow to me, but I just don't feel that instant response from the top of the highback, which is why I switched.

for the price difference it's kind of silly to even bother with magnetos in my opinion, unless you specifically prefer a slightly toned down feeling ride, or if you literally don't have an extra $30. but if you're spending 385 on a binding... oh and you have an entire splitboard setup... you probably do have the cash.  

27. Qurph

Qurph

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Organ

buddy i tour'd with yesterday has mag's, i have burner lt's. he said he's had icing prob's & he ended up bending the clips trying to kick them down (he's a cromag like me). the burner lt's are a bit heavier and more clunky in transition but they are also bulletproof and give solid board control (which is crux in bc conditions) so i wouldn't trade.

pretty long approach for this mtn so we've only drooled over dropping it for years but finally got up on it.

clip of pics and 2nd half of my descent. snow was stickysweet (especially at the bottom where it's not steep), you can sort of see my board getting yanked about.

*watch on Vimeo for HD!

• Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

at first I was reading that as if you said afterburners. the burner may be slightly heavier than the mag, true, although you could save more weight than that by stopping to pee.

and I was like... "clunky? it's the same interface..." but again.. burners.. pins.... I'm here now

I love my afterburners. wouldn't change a thing, personally.

• tp1_kenobi

tp1_kenobi

Loungin Since Dec '10

Sick vid Qurph, beers at the top eh?

• Qurph

Qurph

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Organ

TF happened to this thread?

sorry for the mixup spenser - i have the burner lt's.

thanks tp1 - beers on top and waiting at the trailhead.

• 2011 Burton Restricted
  • Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.