• Latest reply from a2k
  • 2 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

splitboard/ transceiver questions   

Stoked I picked up a 162 k2 panoramic for $400, and it's a 2013!!!

I had been wanting the freebird for a while, since it was close to the Sherlock shape...but seeing as they raised the price by$100 for no reason this year, f@ck that.

2. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09
    EL, Michigan -> Tahoe -> Seattle

It's going to be a good winter in the PNW!

3. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

stuuuuuuu89 said:  It's going to be a good winter in the PNW!

It will be better if you move to PDX, not SKI-attle ; )

What kind of saw did you use to make that cut?

4. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

158 or 164?

Voile hardwear next?

What bindings?

Move to PDX, and I will be forced to take up split boarding with you. Dealz on Trancivers and such. DO IT! Don't give in to the dark side of the force!

5. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09

Voile hardware is next.
    I don't know about bindings. Any suggestions? Definitely splitboard specific.

Haha I just found a place in Seattle. At least we are both in the pnw and I won't be a stranger at hood.

6. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09

Just used a handheld circular saw...

7. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Way to go Stu, I'm stoked that your moving to the PNW!

8. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

hell yeah! you'll love that thing. just make sure you get the voile hooks and clips set up tight

the easy answer for split binders is sparks. they're nice and solid, easy to use, lightweight.... or if you have the coin, go karakoram. voile also makes a split binding.

9. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Spenser, how did the hovercraft split ride in comparison to say a Fish?

10. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

stuuuuuuu89 said:  164.
    Voile hardware is next.
    I don't know about bindings. Any suggestions? Definitely splitboard specific.
    Haha I just found a place in Seattle. At least we are both in the pnw and I won't be a stranger at hood.

Well, stu in the PNW is better than not at all ; ) We should try for a PNW meat-up this season!

11. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

passing-gas said: Spenser, how did the hovercraft split ride in comparison to say a Fish?

haven't ridden the hovercraft nearly as much as a fish so it's hard to say just yet, plus i haven't had the most ideal snow the times i've split, and i've got that backpack full of crap when i'm on the hover. it feels like it floats real well (duh) and so far, i like the feel of the way it turns and flows. feels good.

i have noticed that the nose felt a little soft at times, but the snow was fairly heavy thus pushing back more. i think it's just the split version and the solid version would feel slightly stiffer in the nose? could be wrong. mostly i haven't noticed that, though.

we have a regular 56 here that tempts me. i'd like to give it a try to get a real feel for the board.

also, a shred friend of mine picked one up last year, to replace his cambered fish of the same size. he said it feels like a fish on steroids, so whatever that means...

12. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Cool, thanks!

Will keep it on the radar!

13. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

hey guys, like I said before, I just bought the K2 split. I just wanted to warn people to do their research before getting this board. The graphics for the 2013 have not changed from 2012, but there are some stores with the year not listed. The 2013 has had tweekend tech added to it. In some blurbs it mentions it but not always. I've seen some 2012's at full price ($600) so just make sure you're buying the one you want

14. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i thought it was weird that they didn't change the graphic. that one could be much improved upon too.

15. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

yeah, I am not a fan of it at all. Same as the freebird the last two seasons. Such a bad graphic. You'd think that since Burton have such a hard time lining the graphic up they'd put something plain (which they did for the family tree freebird. Every freebird I saw had a misaligned bird on it.

16. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Bumping this thread.

I have an account on splitboard.com now, totally half way to becoming a legit splitter!

Question I could ask on there, but figure I would get less flamed asking here.

My understanding of options on Splitboard hardware/bindings options: (pleez correct me if I am wrong abOUT something)

1) Voile Kit, metal Voile "plates", attach whatever "normal" 4X4 bindings to Voile plates. This I guess it the cheapest option as you can use your traditional bindings?

2) Voile Kit, Sparks R&D bindings. Sparks bindings "integrate" the Voile "plates" so things are lighter weight, closer to the board, etc?

3) Karakoram Everything. Karakoram has it's own propriatary hardwear and bindings. Also Krampons, heel risers, etc.

Am I mostly correct here?  

17. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

2) sparks and also the voile light rail bindings only need the voile 'light rail' kit which is only $100 compared to the $150 for the full kit. It doesn't have the metal plates which can slide onto the pucks, to which you can attach regular bindings.

So, #1 saves you from buying bindings, but you pay an extra $50 for the voile kit. If you're planning on getting the bindings at any point down the road you may as well drop the cash now.

Karakoram is about $150 more than sparks + voile kit at retail. However, right now the sparks are on sale.
    The sparks are 2 models: the blaze (cheaper, cheaper straps, soft highback) and the burner (stiffer straps, stiffer highback). If you go for full retail and get the 2013's, the burners have burton diode react ankle straps and gettagrip toe straps. Or if you go for the 2012's on sale route, you could add some straps into the cost.
    The 2012 straps are ok, the buckles are burton, so they are good. Upgrading the straps is not necessary, but will feel better (it won't make anything easier though unfortunately).

There's one other type of binding. Look on splitboard.com for rughty bindings. Those are just one guy hand-making bindings.

18. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09

passing-gas said: Bumping this thread.
    I have an account on splitboard.com now, totally half way to becoming a legit splitter!
    My understanding of options on Splitboard hardware/bindings options: (pleez correct me if I am wrong abOUT something)
    1) Voile Kit, metal Voile "plates", attach whatever "normal" 4X4 bindings to Voile plates. This I guess it the cheapest option as you can use your traditional bindings?
    2) Voile Kit, Sparks R&D bindings. Sparks bindings "integrate" the Voile "plates" so things are lighter weight, closer to the board, etc?
    3) Karakoram Everything. Karakoram has it's own propriatary hardwear and bindings. Also Krampons, heel risers, etc.

1)$
    2)$$
    3)$$$

19. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

the 2012 blaze highback is not nearly as soft as past years. haden has a pair from 2010 i think and those shits are floppy. i have 2012s and they're good enough for me, and i like a highback that's stiff straight back. still might put force backs on there some time.

i would push you to get split binders instead of using the plates. splitting is an investment rather than a yearly purchase (well unless you do upgrade each year) so it's probably worth just getting the specific parts. that said, as long as the system is put together tight, regular bindings on plates are not too bad.

20. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

stuuuuuuu89 said:

passing-gas said: Bumping this thread.

1)$
    2)$$
    3)$$$

Werd, but to quote Rick Ross and the FEKDK:

"Fuck all these broke niggas cause all I do is ball"

21. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

I haven't checked the Spark website in a while, but I remember them working on 'The Edison Interface' where you use their bindings but don't need the voile kit. That's probably the next option I'll take. I need to ride my splitty for longer, but think I may end up looking for stiffer highbacks than the blaze. They're decent though, and the negative forward lean option is awesome if you're splitting on the flat for a while.

Don't forget to add a pair of boots to your overall cost. I mushed out a pair of last years Ions in about 10 hours of split time.

22. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

edison won't be available til next year, and in limited quantities

"The Edison is on its 5th rendition now and we will continue to tweak and finalize the design by SIA and ISPO tradeshows in Jan 2013. We will have a limited number of beta sets available for select pros later this season. Edison protos will not be released to the general public this time around. Looking down the pipeline, the Edison will be available to the splitboarding community as a limited edition for the 13/14 season. Stay tuned!"

23. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Perfect timing for me to upgrade. One more season on the Blazes.

24. Qurph

Qurph

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Organ

freebirder/sparkster since april'11 & been much better for it.

25. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

Are tail clips worth it? I was only on my split about 4 times last season and didn't have much of an issue with my skins, but I wonder if the more I use them they will lose their glue and perhaps tail clips will become a nessecity? Any thoughts?

26. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i'm going to try to put mine on before we start splitting, but the metal part that holds on to the tail does not exactly work with a hovercraft's tail shape.

27. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

Maybe I'll just see how yours work. How much are they?

28. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

i love having tail clips. once you lose your skin they get snowy, really loose stick fast, will pick up more dirt, leaves, pine needles, etc. if its on the trail.

totally worth the 20 bucks or whatever.  

@ spenser- g3, BD, and spark all have totally different tail clips, I would think BD might be the best for the hover as I imagine/ remember it (without looking at either as I write)  

29. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

Hey earth, what width skins should I get? Assuming 130 or 140.
    The G3 ones are about 165 but I can get the BD ones in town for 100. Thoughts?.

30. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

Depends on the width of your board (ww / 2). But you'll trim them to your sidecut with a trim tool, anyway, so wider the better if the same price.

BD' s skins are fine (they make the 'Voile Tractor Skins'), and the 'asym tip loops' work well for board tips.

I haven't tried G3 yet, but will get a pair of the 'high traction' skins this year, and like their flat tip attachment. (sparks skins are made by G3- only difference is their tail clip)

I tried using BD 'split STS skins' (have a gap with sail fabric down the middle for lighter weight and 'better glide')- I DO NOT recommend them, not enough traction, and don't seem to glide better, although they look cool. (rolls eyes)

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23552553554 16599 Dr. Dre woodhomie1996 2 minutes
Edumacashon - 23949596 2874 red baron Eva 4 minutes
Happy Birthday Maika 19 geoffthemover Eva 5 minutes
Smokin Pow Wow snowboard 6 JV lotechpeter 1 hour
Nike Boots - 23909192 2746 89c51 awd1105 3 hours
Boards for ppl with ladybits 10 ShredBettyZoe geta 3 hours
The North East Thread - 23717273 2166 Bdawg Lionel Hutz 4 hours
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23199200201 6008 shralp matty 5 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23840841842 25257 TahoeChappy illocon 6 hours
Doc, Ripitup 16 geoffthemover Supra 7 hours