Which Union Bindings? DK Flite, Force SL or Ultrafear2?

(18 posts) (7 voices)
  • Started 2 years ago by beschatten
  • Latest reply from phony_stark
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

Thread title says it all. Coming off of 2010 Forces and want something a bit lighter and more responsive.

Confusing part is, all three of these nail it (according to the posts here).

Anyone got experience with these bindings?

And just a side note, I bought the Ride Hi-Phy's for this season. Woot woooooooooooot

2. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

I'll take your old forces!

3. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

i cant comment on the redesigned highbacks on the SL's this year, but in previous years it felt identical to my force highbacks response wise, they were just comfier

4. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

Theyre L/XL 2010 Forces, I had the board shop custom it so that the baseplate is white and the rest is that dark lime green. Idk how much I would sell them for, I was planning on just keeping them on my Skate Banana but I'm always open to talk.

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

The Force SL is mainly for just all mountain free-riding right?

I was kinda shooting for something that would help with stability for big jumps (and lightweight), and the responsiveness for control.

You think Contact Pro might be better? But the Danny Kass Flite looks so cool...

6. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

waiting for someone to chime in on new force SL highback cuz it sounds like that may be what youre looking at if you want more response...

check out the atlas too!

7. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

*paging dr. shralp to talk about contact pros

8. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

I've posted quite a bit about the Contact Pros. Love them, comfort, response, light, minimalistic. Great bindings, but if your used to a Force and want something more responsive than a Force, I'm not sure you will find that with the Contact Pro. It's responsive, but not more so than a Force IMO.

I'd recommend the Atlas or Force SL if you are sure you want something more supportive than the Force.

If you want a responsive, light, comfy binding then go with the Contact Pros or any others you mentioned.

9. snakeyes

snakeyes

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Nevada City, CA

beschatten said:  The Force SL is mainly for just all mountain free-riding right?
    I was kinda shooting for something that would help with stability for big jumps (and lightweight), and the responsiveness for control.
    You think Contact Pro might be better? But the Danny Kass Flite looks so cool...

Don't expect switching to a new binding to change your jump game much. The Force is a really responsive binding already and a couple of less ounces aren't magically going to make you spin faster. But anyways, you'll be stoked on whatever you get. Seems like the Force SL or Atlas is going to serve you the best.  

10. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

Alright sweet. Only downer on the Contact Pro is that its 250, but its a small price to pay for sweet bindings.

Does nobody have anything to say about Danny Kass Flites? They sound very similar to the Pro's but with a different high back.

11. Custom Method

Custom Method

Loungin Since Feb '11
    Michigan

Contact Pros, or DK's. DK's are carbon injected flight base with team highback. Contact pros have carbon injected contact base with CP highback. Both have the new asym strap. Should be close in weight, contact pros might be a bit stiffer heel ta toe.

12. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Flite baseplate has two densities of EVA foam, but less of it surrounding the baseplate than the contacts do.

Contact Pro has four different with the same amount of foam surrounding the baseplate as the Contacts. So you have less of the baseplate touching the board than the Flite, which leads to truer board flex (something being a n00b, I can't really tell you about).

I've never ridden the Flites so I don't can't really comment. But, I had the Contacts and Contact Pro Baseplates both are EXTREMELY comfortable and I'd go with the Pro if you've narrowed it down to those two.

Like Shralp said though, if you want more response than your forces (I also have those), I'm pretty sure either of those are not going to give you that. I'd take his suggestions.    

13. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

phony_stark said:
    Like Shralp said though, if you want more response than your forces (I also have those), I'm pretty sure either of those are not going to give you that. I'd take his suggestions.    

Agreed. It's not that the Contact Pro isn't a responsive binding, it's just not significantly more responsive than the Forces, if anything it may be slightly softer feeling highback. I happen to love the response and loose feeling they give.

14. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

It may not be that the forces weren't responsive, but I was on a 159W Skate banana, and I think it was the width of the board that really negged down the responsiveness (combined with a 24" stance).

But the old forces are pretty heavy, I thought it was the board, but after taking the bindings off I realize its the bindings lol.

I'm buying a zero cambered board (either K2 Happy Hour or the Capita Mid-Life) so I'm trying to find something that would fit that more. The Danny Kass Flite's look rad and the Pros just seem more suited towards a flat/rockered board. Ya dig the dilemma?

15. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

And my understanding on the Danny Kass Flite's are its just an upgraded Flite with better material and different straps. So a downgraded, lighter force.

The pro's seem more like a game changer though because the base is only 19% touching the board.

16. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

I could be off base on this, but I'd say that the since, the flite is a less techy contact. That the DKs are a less techy contact pro with a team highback. If I'm not mistaken the Contact Pros are maybe the second or third lightest binding in the lineup.

I know that my baseplates were insanely light and the combo of that with my force highback was about as light as my contacts were. So if you're worried about weight, and response that is coooooomparable to your Forces, go Contact Pro.

17. User has not uploaded an avatar

beschatten

Loungin Since Oct '11
    east coast, va

so the DK Flites are just a pretty downgraded Contact Pros.

Well fuck, the graphics almost had me there.

18. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

I mean, I can't say with any authority that that's the case. They're all gonna feel different. I haven't ridden the flites so they could be a different animal, especially with the Team Highback.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of your choices...if you like the graphics cop the DKs. They're probably the closest to my franken setup late season which was contact pro baseplate and Force Highback.

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23147148149 4469 HLC123 EMHM00 1 hour
The Official 2015 thread - 23949596 2863 whoisminishred tp1_kenobi 2 hours
the AG thread - 23121122123 3690 JP drjcv 2 hours
Union Teams For Sale!!!!!!!!!! 8 Robots are Nice Robots are Nice 5 hours
Official Photography Thread - 23353637 1110 max Qurph 5 hours
Does anyone like their barracuda? - 2 31 drjcv indigo22 5 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23854855856 25675 TahoeChappy LilTeichMonster 5 hours
FS: STUFF FOR THE LADIES, LADY FRIENDS, A SUPER SMALL DUDE. boards + bindings 2 noregrets911 zkurd 6 hours
WTB: 147 Horrorscope and Unions. 1 zkurd zkurd 6 hours
The Denver thread - 23232425 723 Deucen LilTeichMonster 6 hours