vehicle of mass poder destruction

Occupy Wall St   

I'd rather...

2. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    That's one small step for sloths, one giant leap for slothkind

Occupy Wall St   

Not like it matters, but occupy portland is a fucking joke. Two park blocks full of street kids and hippies that are either stoned or meth'd out. I ride my bike by that mess everyday and it's just getting worse. Only in America Oregon Portland.

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Occupy Wall St   

The beginning of the movement:

*Dad takes away allowance*
    "Fuck capitalism and all those Wall Street cocksuckers!"
    "Yeah! We are the 99%!"
    "Hold up, I need to Tweet this to my followers."
    *pulls out iPhone*
    "Alright, awesome! Let's drive to REI and buy brand new tents to camp out in!"
    "Good idea, brotato! I have a Groupon for that shit."
    *All get in Audi and drive away*

4. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Occupy Wall St   

And I'd much rather occupy the lodge. Much warmer + Fat Tire + sourdough chili bowls.

5. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Occupy Wall St   

youknowlarry said: The beginning of the movement:
    *Dad takes away allowance*
    "Fuck capitalism and all those Wall Street cocksuckers!"
    "Yeah! We are the 99%!"
    "Hold up, I need to Tweet this to my followers."
    *pulls out iPhone*
    "Alright, awesome! Let's drive to REI and buy brand new tents to camp out in!"
    "Good idea, brotato! I have a Groupon for that shit."
    *All get in Audi and drive away*

Win. There was an article in the NYTimes last week or so, that supports this argument.

6. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

Occupy Wall St   

the donations that they are getting are being put into a bank account, and it probably earns interest. ohh noooo

7. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

Occupy Wall St   

love it. stole it for my facebook.

8. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

Occupy Wall St   

9. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Occupy Wall St   

I was quite happy with the fact that its been going on for weeks and no one here felt compelled to start a thread on the topic.

shralp fail! :)

I saw some news coverage a few weeks back where they were asking people why they were out protesting. This one chic says "I have $100k in student loan debt and I cant even get a job. Banks got bailed out and its not fair. We need a bail out for student loan debt." ....??? Kinda sums up the brainpower of these people.

10. The_Pope

The_Pope

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Neither here nor there

Occupy Wall St   

A large majority of Americans are complete idiots. Unfortunately, it's not getting any better.

11. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

Occupy Wall St   

the_pope said: A large majority of Americans are complete idiots.

yup

12. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home

Occupy Wall St   

I agree with the principle. The banks got bailed out, but how did the CEO's still make obscene amounts IN BONUSES!!!!

But the people doing the protesting are fucked. In Calgary they had a request to the public. Please get us, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and condoms. Well hell, we don't want little protest babies do we.

Fucking breeders.  

• YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Occupy Wall St   

wuts a sustainable star

• Iced_endeavor

Iced_endeavor

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Whistler, BC

Occupy Wall St   

ripitup said:  I agree with the principle. The banks got bailed out, but how did the CEO's still make obscene amounts IN BONUSES!!!!
    But the people doing the protesting are fucked.

there's a lot of relevant issues being brought up. its the manner in which they are, and by who that's the biggest problem with all this "occupy" bullshit.

• drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Occupy Wall St   

I think it's hilarious that if you have issues or complaints with obscene profiteering corporate malfeasance and hyperconsumption that means you can't own an iPhone or ever purchase anything without being a hypocrite. Such good little corporate consumption worker bee debt slaves.

• bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Occupy Wall St   

ripitup said:  I agree with the principle. The banks got bailed out, but how did the CEO's still make obscene amounts IN BONUSES!!!!
    But the people doing the protesting are fucked. In Calgary they had a request to the public. Please get us, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and condoms. Well hell, we don't want little protest babies do we.
    Fucking breeders.  

So I've mentioned before that I'm a Wall St slave (IT manager) and in general I agree that the guys at the top are getting unprecedented amounts of compensation, though 99% of it is stock options not cash which hasnt been as lucrative as the media portrays.

Anyway, regarding the whole "bail out" thing. Yes, it was a "bail out" in the sense that the gov't stepped in to "save" a few banks from failing. They didnt get a "hand out" or a "gift" and that is a huge ignorant misconception a lot of people have. They got a gov't loan, with interest. In a majority of cases the banks were forced to take this money and required to pay interest on it even though they didnt need it. The govt did this to ensure banks had enough "cash" on hand to do day to day operations without needing to borrow from large private investors (who were shit scared to loan out money). With that "bailout" LOAN, the gov't tried to start imposing some regulations on executive pay until the loans were payed off.

What happened? All the banks paid off the loans with interest in 12months or less because most of them didnt need/want the money to begin with. So saying things like "how did the banks get bailed out yet CEO's still got bonuses", etc is completely irrelevant. If the goverment handed them money and walked away not wanting it back, yeah you could complain about that.

Personally, yes, executive pay is crazy. You read things like "the average wall st bonus" and it makes people all crazy/sick. There is no "average" other than a fabricated number in the media that is determined by public info on the compensation budget and total number of workers. The guys at the top get the bulk of it, everyone else gets scraps not "average".

The other thing to keep in mind is that only the media uses the word "bonus". It is always "deferred compensation" or "variable compensation" in the industry. It's not a bonus paid on company performance. It's basically withheld comp until end of year based on "your contribution", ie... your unpaid overtime. It's already baked in/budgeted for as part of your total compensation.

Anyway, kind of ranting but in summary, as a Wall St worker, I feel like the 99%. The 1% do get the bulk of it while the rest of us are just vilified for working in the industry. Am I gonna get out there and protest? Nope. I'm not qualified or ever did anything to get to that top 1% so why am I gonna go complain about what other people achieved in life.

The people out there thinking a bail out is a hand out and wanting one, well, they should go fall on a knife or something. What exactly are you asking for? A bail out on student loan debt? Your mortgage? So you want a LOAN to pay back the loans you already have? Really??

• drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Occupy Wall St   

bad63lac said:

Fucking breeders.  

So I've mentioned before that I'm a Wall St slave (IT manager) and in general I agree that the guys at the top are getting unprecedented amounts of compensation, though 99% of it is stock options not cash which hasn't been as lucrative as the media portrays.
    Anyway, regarding the whole "bail out" thing. Yes, it was a "bail out" in the sense that the gov't stepped in to "save" a few banks from failing. They didn't get a "hand out" or a "gift" and that is a huge ignorant misconception a lot of people have. They got a gov't loan, with interest. In a majority of cases the banks were forced to take this money and required to pay interest on it even though they didn't need it. The govt did this to ensure banks had enough "cash" on hand to do day to day operations without needing to borrow from large private investors (who were shit scared to loan out money). With that "bailout" LOAN, the gov't tried to start imposing some regulations on executive pay until the loans were payed off.
    What happened? All the banks paid off the loans with interest in 12months or less because most of them didnt need/want the money to begin with. So saying things like "how did the banks get bailed out yet CEO's still got bonuses", etc is completely irrelevant. If the goverment handed them money and walked away not wanting it back, yeah you could complain about that.
    Personally, yes, executive pay is crazy. You read things like "the average wall st bonus" and it makes people all crazy/sick. There is no "average" other than a fabricated number in the media that is determined by public info on the compensation budget and total number of workers. The guys at the top get the bulk of it, everyone else gets scraps not "average".
    The other thing to keep in mind is that only the media uses the word "bonus". It is always "deferred compensation" or "variable compensation" in the industry. It's not a bonus paid on company performance. It's basically withheld comp until end of year based on "your contribution", ie... your unpaid overtime. It's already baked in/budgeted for as part of your total compensation.
    Anyway, kind of ranting but in summary, as a Wall St worker, I feel like the 99%. The 1% do get the bulk of it while the rest of us are just vilified for working in the industry. Am I gonna get out there and protest? Nope. I'm not qualified or ever did anything to get to that top 1% so why am I gonna go complain about what other people achieved in life.
    The people out there thinking a bail out is a hand out and wanting one, well, they should go fall on a knife or something. What exactly are you asking for? A bail out on student loan debt? Your mortgage? So you want a LOAN to pay back the loans you already have? Really??

i think this is a HUGE misrepresentation. why is thw worlds economy in the state that its in right now? its a direct result of wall streets malfeasance. and as a result of directly participating in that malfeasance many people were compensated to ridiculous levels for doing so.

bail outs were rampant, to banks, insurance companies, automotive companies and many other financial entities. they were compensated for directly creating the mess that all of us have to deal with now.

• bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Occupy Wall St   

^So wrong.

• RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

shralp said: I'd rather...

YES YES. Y E S!

@ badalac
    I was drunk and not as detailed as I should have been if excepting a rebutle.
    What I meant more was the stimulus packages. Was this not the point for the banks to have the money, so they wouldn't changed loan structures or inflate interest rates?
    Was the stimulus money accounted for? The stimulus went to more than just the big banks. And don't be fooled but there are CEO's and exec;s that got paid in a major way when the stimulus packages were handed out. (The 1% or even less)

• shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

bad63lac said: I was quite happy with the fact that its been going on for weeks and no one here felt compelled to start a thread on the topic.

I just wanted to post the chairlift picture.

• RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

shralp said:

bad63lac said: I was quite happy with the fact that its been going on for weeks and no one here felt compelled to start a thread on the topic.

What's going on in your avatar? looks like a show we have here, Royal Canadian Air Farce.

• shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

ripitup said:

shralp said:

What's going on in your avatar? looks like a show we have here, Royal Canadian Air Farce.

SNL

• RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

LOL...youtube linky?

• tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

Occupy Wall St   

why is everyone so focused on the bailouts. they were a necessary evil, a loan not a charitable donation, and already happened so what the hell can we do about it now.

The bigger issues are corporate america's unwillingness to spend money and expand hiring (in fact it is now going back the other way) and all the BS tax loopholes that large companies and the super rich take advantage of to get out of paying their fair share of taxes.

I personally will never begrudge anyone succeeding or making a ton of money as long as they do it fairly, ethically, and within the boundaries of the law. Now if laws are changed to tighten up the system and now allow people to find loopholes, or take advantage of average or under-educated consumers, I am all for that.

These protesters need to prove they have a point, demands, and know what the hell they are talking about, otherwise everyone will just assume they are collage kids, hipsters, hippies, etc drawn to a big gathering with out having a clue wtf is going on.

• shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

Do the rich have any tax loopholes that aren't available to average income people? I hear people mention that the rich have loopholes often, but no one has given any specific examples. Poor have the same loopholes as the rich right?

• cobrasdh

cobrasdh

Loungin Since Oct '09

Occupy Wall St   

alkasquawlik said:  

Yah good for this guy. Too bad this isn't how the real world works for a lot of people. Most people don't get 90% of their tuition payed. Many people have a hard time getting a part time job that gives 30 hours a week (personal experience here). Many people who have these scholarships and loans are limited to how many hours they can even work because if you get help because of low income your income has to stay low. Some people cant even afford a cheap apartment! I am glad that is how it works for that guy but reality is the school system is messed up. I shouldn't have to go in debt 90,000 dollars for a job that pays 12 an hour. (extreme example yes but I do know someone in that predicament.)

• tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

Occupy Wall St   

shralp said: Do the rich have any tax loopholes that aren't available to average income people? I hear people mention that the rich have loopholes often, but no one has given any specific examples. Poor have the same loopholes as the rich right?

1) the wealthy can afford the best tax attorneys and accountants.
    2) someone like warren buffet earns his income from capital gains which are taxed at 15% rather than the top income tax bracket as they would based on their total earnings.

Those are the 2 main reasons a very rich person may pay a much lower % than an average earner.

• gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

Occupy Wall St   

tekniq33 said:

shralp said: Do the rich have any tax loopholes that aren't available to average income people? I hear people mention that the rich have loopholes often, but no one has given any specific examples. Poor have the same loopholes as the rich right?

1) the wealthy can afford the best tax attorneys and accountants.
    2) someone like warren buffet earns his income from capital gains which are taxed at 15% rather than the top income tax bracket as they would based on their total earnings.
    Those are the 2 main reasons a very rich person may pay a much lower % than an average earner.

yes same loopholes, but like tek said, better attorneys & accountants, plus more moniez avoided being taxed through the loopholes.

• shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Occupy Wall St   

Thanks for the explanation guys. So the loopholes are available to any income level, it's just the wealthy that are taking advantage of them. I don't think I can find blame in that.

• 2011 Burton Restricted
  • Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
    FS/FT: 2013 Burton Fishcuit (Black Scales) 4 LilTeichMonster crutan 11 minutes
    The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 161 awd1105 89c51 24 minutes
    The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23860861862 25857 TahoeChappy Krazylegz1485 1 hour
    Japan Pow - 2391011 311 Supra SGboarder 3 hours
    Edumacashon - 23979899 2955 red baron oakwood-jones 3 hours
    Get Baked With Spenser 30 Spenser Bielawski 4 hours
    THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23227228229 6855 JungleLarry SuburbanLegend8 5 hours
    The Official 2015 thread - 23110111112 3338 whoisminishred Mr.KnowItAll 5 hours
    Albuquerque 9 zkurd j_dawg 7 hours
    Fun Powdery Video Thread - 23252627 801 Lomax Supra 8 hours