Question on fit of Volcom duds

(11 posts) (6 voices)
take me to the bottom
  1. Aquapussy

Aquapussy

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Vernon, BC

What's the fit of Volcom like? It looks like it runs small based on the size chart, similar to say, Burton. An XL Burton jacket fits me nice, and a L in 686 or DC are about the same maybe even on the big side.
    I may not be able to try on the stuff I want before buying.

Mostly curious about the pants. I tried on 686 XL womens and they were ENORMOUS but some others in L (I think, Nomis? but the Nomis size chart says womens L is 37" which is BS, felt more like 29 or 30) were way small.
    Just want some opinions.
    Thanks!    

2. Aquapussy

Aquapussy

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Vernon, BC

So I found out the answer to my own question, and also an explanation as to why certain brands are sized so small. Usually in women's sizes I am a size medium but based on size charts for Burton, Roxy, Volcom and a few others I wear an XL. The reason for this is they are junior sizes as those companies size for teens which is the main market they go after.
    So lots of women fit the sizes but they run smaller. Other companies don't do this, normal sizes can be found from 686, Bonfire and Sessions.

3. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

size charts are useless. they all tell me i should be in small or medium but there's no way in hell i would ever wear those sizes for any reason (except some airblaster pieces because they actually know how to make a good, long fit for tall skinny guys).

if they gave actual physical measurements of the garments then we could actually use the charts. companies are totally missing this. no one cares what it's "sized" for, they care how it looks/fits when it's on them and you can't figure that out through current size charts.

4. The_Pope

The_Pope

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Neither here nor there

I didn't even know people actually looked at size charts

5. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

I usually just go off the size of my underwear and size up.

6. Aquapussy

Aquapussy

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Vernon, BC

Well they have been pretty accurate for me in comparing sizes. Men's is another world altogether but the women's stuff I've tried is pretty true to what is listed.
    I use size charts since 99% of what I order is from online.
    Some companies size the clothing instead of suggesting the size of the person, which is far more accurate but it is confusing if you think the sizing is supposed to be for the person wearing it.
    I talked to a Volcom/Burton/Roxy dealer and they explained the weird sizing to me.

7. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

For a guy like me it's usually either (a) get a medium and the legs barely reach your highbacks, or (b) get a large and the waist is 6" too big. My medium Volcom pants stay up without suspenders AND brush the ground, and because of this (and how insanely comfy they are) I will be wearing the same pair of pants for their 3rd season this year. [/shameless plug]

8. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

i am 5'9 and have a butt and fit fine in volcom's medium pants.

9. Aquapussy

Aquapussy

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Vernon, BC

eva said:  i am 5'9 and have a butt and fit fine in volcom's medium pants.

Hmm, mind if I ask what size jeans you wear? If you want you can PM me the info.

10. Aquapussy

Aquapussy

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Vernon, BC

Just an update.
    You must be a very skinny 5'9". The large Battle Stretch I tried on didn't quite cut it. I tried on an XL pair of something in the Team fit and it was almost too big. Nice fit though but I want a skinnier look this year. I talked to dogfunk "expert" and they said if the team fit works in XL then the slim should too, guess I will see.

As for jackets, I fit in all the larges I tried just fine, but due to the junior sizing some of the jackets were a bit too constricting in the shoulder area. I am 5'8" and very active with weights, cycling and jogging. Hoping to cut some more fat before the season starts as well. Dream pants starvation mode engaged! j/k.  

11. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Hmm I'm a size 6 I think.

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2015 Captains Log - 2345 123 LilTeichMonster RIPITUP 33 seconds
The North East Thread - 23737475 2235 Bdawg Colby 2 minutes
FS: Capita Unorthadox 158 SOLD 14 mh8701 alexxx 21 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23116117118 3526 whoisminishred Lionel Hutz 52 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23101112 339 awd1105 EMHM00 1 hour
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23868869870 26088 TahoeChappy LilTeichMonster 1 hour
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23454647 1382 Jneischen Lionel Hutz 2 hours
Random shred news and etc... - 23646566 1971 Junkshow Iced_endeavor 3 hours
Your loving situation - 23259260261 7815 Horse Repairman niemoid 9 hours
The Official Frakenbinder thread - 23 87 MikeHoncho NatasKaput 11 hours