Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

Burton ambush vs Burton Imperial vs Burton Ion   

I have a pair of grails the purple and yellow ones and it's time for new boots, I was looking into the ion or the imperials and maybe the Ambush, I know the ambush is a softer boot, but I really want to try the speed zone system. If anyone one have any experience with these boot your input would be much appreciated.

2. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

Bump for info

3. nitro909

nitro909

Loungin Since Sep '09
    So Cal

Imo the Imperial and Grail are the best boots for the money, sz vs laces. If you wanna spend a little more get the Ions. I had the Ions and they were a good boot. Didn't feel too stiff on me, I like stiffer boots, but I hear they are a little softer now vs when I had them '09. Personally, I prefer sz and an articulating cuff, so I got the SLX the past 2 seasons. I would like to get the new ones, but I'd have to sell mine first. If you don't mind spending the money, the SLX is an awesome boot.

4. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

I was leaning towards the ion but dn it $400. That is like another board or a season pass. Imperial looks good but the ion has all the new tech.

5. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

"new tech" doesn't really matter much in the big picture. your boots don't really do anything for you, they just need to fit. don't spend more hoping the tech will help you ride better or something.

6. McNutty

McNutty

Loungin Since Feb '10
    res ipsa loquitor

drjcv said: they just need to fit.

7. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

I understand more "tech" doesnt help riding better, but the right knee hurt when I ride and hurt a little more landing big jumps. The ion has the autocant and est. I tried in all the boots all felt real comfy, I just dont have any experience on stiffer boots, all the boots I have owned are medium like grails and DK zoom. I guess I'm worried that a stiff boot might hinder my riding style.

8. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

ions arent that stiff. id say they are medium

9. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

Sounds good probably buy them sometime this week try them out in november. If it not my cup of tea return them. Thanks for all the input

10. captmuff

captmuff

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Disneyland

i have ridden both dk's grails, sabbaths and ions over the last few years and went back to the ion this season. nothing beats it.

11. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

captmuff said:  i have ridden both dk's grails, sabbaths and ions over the last few years and went back to the ion this season. nothing beats it.

How do the Ion compare to the DK and the Grails? How much stiffer then the DK and the Grails

12. captmuff

captmuff

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Disneyland

wngu said:

captmuff said:  i have ridden both dk's grails, sabbaths and ions over the last few years and went back to the ion this season. nothing beats it.

How do the Ion compare to the DK and the Grails? How much stiffer then the DK and the Grails

I don't think they are stiffer at all. if you yank the speedzone laces as tight as possible they will be stiffer, but you won't ever need to do that.

i found the 2012 grails to be stiffer and more responsive than the 2012 ions i have now. rode the grails for a few days last year and maybe it was going from the broken in DK's to the brand new Grails, but they seemed very stiff and they came up maybe half an inch higher on my calf than the DK's. just my 2 cents.

the Ions are great though. total comfort tech is the truth.

13. Wngu

Wngu

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Orange County

captmuff said:

wngu said:

I don't think they are stiffer at all. if you yank the speedzone laces as tight as possible they will be stiffer, but you won't ever need to do that.
    i found the 2012 grails to be stiffer and more responsive than the 2012 ions i have now. rode the grails for a few days last year and maybe it was going from the broken in DK's to the brand new Grails, but they seemed very stiff and they came up maybe half an inch higher on my calf than the DK's. just my 2 cents.
    the Ions are great though. total comfort tech is the truth.

I have the 2010 Grails. They are nice ad comfy, but I pretty sold on the Ions now gotta figure out what color, purple/white or green/black

14. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>no snowboarding

Pretty impossible to decide on the boots by someone's advice on the internetz. Last time I was shopping for boots I tried on the Grail, Ion and the Imperial. All were in my price range and seemed like something I would like. The Grail just didn't fit right, they would squeeze my forefoot but the heel was left loose and I had been all set on the purple and yellow model. The Imperial was better but something just didn't quite convince me about them. The Ion, however, felt just right with the potential of becoming one with my foot once broken in. I actually have grown to prefer them over the SLX I had before. The Ions fit me just right, I like the light weight and speed zone.
    A close second now is Nike zf1 that were a total impulse buy on Whiskey for 70 bucks or so and are close to perfect but I like the convenience and aesthetics of speed zone over conventional laces    

15. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Twin Cities

I've had problems with my 2011 Imperials. Despite fitting more or less perfectly, I was still getting foot pain in them after about 10-12 days on snow, when they should have packed out nicely. I took a closer look at the boot and realize the front part of my boots was warping around the ball of my foot. Playing around with them a bit more, I found that when I flex my foot forward and get on my toes like I would going toeside, the toebox distorts pretty heavily. I think it's because of the the softer material in the forefoot of the boot and the flexible EST sole. That distortion is costing me power going toeside and my feet are forced to do a lot more extra work compared to my previous boots.

I'm not sure if it's a designed feature that just doesn't work with my feet, a design flaw, or a warranty issue. But they absolute don't work for me and I've switched back to my Celsius boots.

16. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

i had the gmp rulers from 09? i think with the est sole and the same toe thing happened to me. they started to flex like old vans. i attributed it to the fact that they were recyclable and on the softer side of medium flexing. the waterproofing also sucked a lot. other than that they were super duper comfy, just not that durable

i also got nikes on WM for $70 and haven't gone back since. i got lucky with the fit and they are perfect. i also feel like they are gonna last me a long time (have about 25 days on them) and they look and feel as good as they did when i first got them.

17. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

kimchijajonshim said: I've had problems with my 2011 Imperials. Despite fitting more or less perfectly, I was still getting foot pain in them after about 10-12 days on snow, when they should have packed out nicely. I took a closer look at the boot and realize the front part of my boots was warping around the ball of my foot. Playing around with them a bit more, I found that when I flex my foot forward and get on my toes like I would going toeside, the toebox distorts pretty heavily. I think it's because of the the softer material in the forefoot of the boot and the flexible EST sole. That distortion is costing me power going toeside and my feet are forced to do a lot more extra work compared to my previous boots.
    I'm not sure if it's a designed feature that just doesn't work with my feet, a design flaw, or a warranty issue. But they absolute don't work for me and I've switched back to my Celsius boots.

Hey Kimchi, it's me, E-money. :)

Have you ridden the 2013s?

I had some pain right next to the balls of my feet towards the heel (My arch, maybe?) and then I tried some superfeet with them and it seemed ok. I was still a little sketched out though, so I didn't buy them. If you've ridden or tried on this year's, have you noticed the same weird bulging or flexing near the toe box?

18. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

Nevermind.
    I bought fuckin' Kaijus. :P

I wore them back-to-back with the Imperials. Had tried on Kaijus a few times before and wasn't sure about it, but this time, the Kaijus just felt right. The imperials are also great and maybe it was just how my feet felt today, but I think you can't go wrong with either.

...at the end of the day, I love Michael Jordan. :)

19. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Twin Cities

nj2481 said:

kimchijajonshim said: I've had problems with my 2011 Imperials. Despite fitting more or less perfectly, I was still getting foot pain in them after about 10-12 days on snow, when they should have packed out nicely. I took a closer look at the boot and realize the front part of my boots was warping around the ball of my foot. Playing around with them a bit more, I found that when I flex my foot forward and get on my toes like I would going toeside, the toebox distorts pretty heavily. I think it's because of the the softer material in the forefoot of the boot and the flexible EST sole. That distortion is costing me power going toeside and my feet are forced to do a lot more extra work compared to my previous boots.

Hey Kimchi, it's me, E-money. :)
    Have you ridden the 2013s?
    I had some pain right next to the balls of my feet towards the heel (My arch, maybe?) and then I tried some superfeet with them and it seemed ok. I was still a little sketched out though, so I didn't buy them. If you've ridden or tried on this year's, have you noticed the same weird bulging or flexing near the toe box?

Ha. Most embarrassing mountain moment evar.

Too late, but I warrantied my pair and Burton sent me a pair of 2013s. The 2011 and 2012 versions had the same problem (I could distort the toe box on a brand new set of 2012s with my fingers), but they redesigned the toe box on the 2013s. Much, much sturdier.

I've only put a couple days on them, but no problems so far and I don't expect to run into any. Far less foot pain outside of typical break-in pain.

20. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

That's great news!
    The Kaijus fucking hated my feet when I wore them around the house(I think a Burton 11.5 fits WAYYYY different than Kaijus in 11.5), so I might get Imperials now.

Just bought some superfeet red hots that should help my SLXs last until the end of the season, but if I find Imperials in my size again for the right price after getting rid of the Kaijus, I will buy them.

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Powzer Board Quiver - 23565758 1734 shralp Spenser 25 minutes
Endeavor Snowboards - 23456 156 ttocsxela Iced_endeavor 38 minutes
The Official Star Wars Nerdz Thread - 23192021 607 cantmethod bigwillystyle 1 hour
Burton Boot Machines... the official? - 23131415 443 Spenser Howdy 1 hour
"Safety Meeting" - 23318319320 9582 Dave99 Iced_endeavor 1 hour
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23101112 356 awd1105 MarkusM 1 hour
Reflex question 14 buggravy Jneischen 1 hour
F/S CAPiTA Outsiders 152 2014 1 nybe0010 nybe0010 1 hour
On-snow tricks 17 Duhg 89c51 2 hours
[sticky] How the Hell did I Get Here? (aka we’re all Refugees) - 238910 274 drjcv LilTeichMonster 3 hours