1. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

Hey dudes, dudettes, looked around for a while cool site, I have a question.

Have been reading up on this forum and some other sites and trying to make a decision on which board to get for this upcoming season. I want to buy ASAP to take advantage of the sales they are having on some of last years left over equipment.

So for the boards that have sparked my interest the most are the K2 Raygun 2011 and possibly an Arbor board like Coda, or Element (don't know much about this one).

This will be technically my third season. This last season I purchased a used 05/06 GNU Altered Genetics 163 Wide with Ride SPI bindings and even though I did learn how to turn and carve frontside/backside and get some decent speed on the slopes I don't think it was the best board choice for me given my experience and was definitely a speed demon in the pow and on icy stuff (I'm 5'11" 170-180 lbs size 10 boot). So I will be selling this board on eBay again this year and buying a new one.

So I'm looking for an all mountain that I can try some light jumps and continue to work on my carving abilities and hopefully become more confident in bombing hills (which is still somewhat intimidating to me right now which is why i learned how to carve better last season), and hitting trails and such.

The Raygun looked appealing because it got mostly good reviews and the price is unbeatable for what you get, but my only concern with that board is the extruded base. I'm not sure what kind mine has being a 05/06' model but i want to make sure I get a board that isn't going to slow me down progress wise (eventually I am going to want to go crazy fast down steeps! Fuuuuuun!). Also price is not a deal breaker. It would be nice to save some dough to spend on a new jacket or something but I'm not opposed to getting a 2012 model board either (which I understand the new transworld Goodwood either has already/or will be coming out very soon).

So yea, fire away. Looking forward to all suggestions! any questions don't hesitate to ask!
    Thanks!

2. Buffalo Swatter 27

Buffalo Swatter 27

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Badfish.

Board question   

Where you living at dude? Within the next 3 weeks, there will be more snowboard sales around here than you can shake your stick at. Tons of bitchin deals all over the mountains and online. Check Porters for what they got.
    ...People who ride K2 boards tend to like K2 boards, but then there are those who let "snowboard politics" seep in to the board purchasing decision and choose to not buy boards from a conglomerate corp who make all their product in China.
    Plus, if you are really looking to learn to carve more and not spend much time riding rails and want to carry speed, I might suggest going with a sintered based board. Theoretically there is a little more maint. that goes into owning a sintered board, but in reality...not really.
    Again, I know lots of people who ride Chinese boards and love them. LOVE them. It's an age old debate, one that you probably will never care two shits about, esp. if the board holds up well, which it will. I'm just sayin' check your options first, because you have a ton of 'em.

Welcome to the Lounge!  

Edit: one example
    http://www.porterstahoe.com/store/11SB301311!ROME/++2011+ROME+AGENT+ROCKER+SNOWBOARD

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

I guess my question is beyond the politics. Endevour makes their boards in China. Burton now makes many high end boards in China (Barracuda, etc). Bad quality?

Thanks for the feedback.

4. Buffalo Swatter 27

Buffalo Swatter 27

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Badfish.

Board question   

Some will say that the rest of your kit is all made in China, so why should it matter one iota if your board is? I'm telling you, the stuff coming out of K2's factory over there is going to be of good quality or better. I have owned Ride boards made in China, they held up, but every one had a sintered base. Unless I was buying a rail board, I see no reason to buy a board with an extruded base, esp. if you are wanting to work on being the fastest motherfucker on the hill.

5. Buffalo Swatter 27

Buffalo Swatter 27

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Badfish.

Board question   

Cuda is made in China? Fuck, that's like hearing the Doobie Brothers broke up.

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

buffalo-swatter-27 said:  Cuda is made in China? Fuck, that's like hearing the Doobie Brothers broke up.

Secondhand info on production models. Until I or everyone sees it for themselves, I guess no one will know.

7. sw00shm4n

sw00shm4n

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Whale's Vagina

Board question   

I wouldn't worry so much about the extruded base at your level. The type of base isn't going to hinder your progress. Sure, a sintered base will be faster, but an extruded one won't keep you from learning how to put your board flat based and bombing it.  

8. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

Board question   

at your size and with a size 10 boot, you should be on something smaller than a 63 wide. You shouldn't even need a wide board.
    There's loads of deals to be had. Yes GDOH's were selling for $220 the other week

9. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Board question   

Burton does not make hig end boards in China

10. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Board question   

supra said:  at your size and with a size 10 boot, you should be on something smaller than a 63 wide. You shouldn't even need a wide board.

That was the first thing that popped in my head as well.  

11. Buffalo Swatter 27

Buffalo Swatter 27

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Badfish.

Board question   

163 wide with size 10 boot =

12. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

drjcv said:  Burton does not make hig end boards in China

I guess the Barracuda is a low end 500 dollar board then.

13. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Board question   

or its not made in China

14. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11
    the orient♨↔§formerly peh

Board question   

found it interesting that a lot of the manufacturers are based out of indonesia.

then again, they're probably just trading companies posing as manufacturers.

http://www.alibaba.com/products/burton_snowboard/--------1--50.html

would be cool to find some discontinued models through them though.

15. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

drjcv said:  or its not made in China

Just received confirmation that the Barracuda is made in China. The Austrian factory has been making too many shit boards for Burton (warranty failures rates?) for awhile, and they will continue to shift production to China. All this straight from a Burton hard goods designer.

16. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

shinobi said: found it interesting that a lot of the manufacturers are based out of indonesia.
    then again, they're probably just trading companies posing as manufacturers.
    http://www.alibaba.com/products/burton_snowboard/--------1--50.html
    would be cool to find some discontinued models through them though.

Trade zones in many countries can label ownership country, not manufacturing country. Hopefully Burton can pull this and not lose the ignorant customers.

17. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11

Board question   

18. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

Board question   

I think you should get the Arbor. You don't need a wide board as stated. Wide boards can be slow and unresponsive. If you are having problems with your boots overhanging, check out boots with a smaller imprint, such as Ride FUL, or some Burtons, def. not Nike's. Also, Ride bindings may be indestructible, but they are also heavy and the ratchets suck shit, they always get stuck.  

19. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

shinobi said:

So, Ikea would manufacture in one country, and finish in another, and call it all done in the finishing country? Interesting.

20. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>summer

Board question   

wherever the board is made, get yourself a 158ish regular camber board from a reputable brand and don't make it a wide one. sintered base is faster but at your level I wouldn't worry too much about that, so whatever fits your budget. get stoked

21. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>summer

Board question   

powhunter said:

shinobi said:

So, Ikea would manufacture in one country, and finish in another, and call it all done in the finishing country? Interesting.

not ikea itself but a contractor

22. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11

Board question   

powhunter said:

shinobi said:

yes. deleted that fucker as i was rambling off topic.

good luck on the board dude.

my 2 yuan... just get a custom and ride the shit out of it and have fun

23. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

alexxx said:  wherever the board is made, get yourself a 158ish regular camber board from a reputable brand and don't make it a wide one. sintered base is faster but at your level I wouldn't worry too much about that, so whatever fits your budget. get stoked

yeah, thanks for the great answers too.

I hate caring about that China shit. All that should matter is quality and respect.

24. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Board question   

Until you surface a photo of a Barracuda that says its made in China on it, you and your Burton Hardgoods Designer source are full of shit.

The Barracuda says "Manufactured in Austria" on the topsheet right above the rear channel.

It is illegal for goods to enter the country which state they're made in country which they're not. The goods would be seized at port.

(cant believe I'm defending Burton here...)

25. The_Pope

The_Pope

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Neither here nor there

Board question   

I wish Buffalo Swatter wasn't banned so he could give information

26. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

bad63lac said: Until you surface a photo of a Barracuda that says its made in China on it, you and your Burton Hardgoods Designer source are full of shit.
    The Barracuda says "Manufactured in Austria" on the topsheet right above the rear channel.
    It is illegal for goods to enter the country which state they're made in country which they're not. The goods would be seized at port.
    (cant believe I'm defending Burton here...)

Huh, I guess someone working at Burton is full of shit.

Where did you see a Barracuda?

27. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Board question   

we see dumbfucks like you trying to say burton makes boards in china every year. we all know the kids boards and some big box stores are made there but i'll give you every snowboard i own if you can find a burton employee going on record that the high end boards are made in china not austria. put up or shut up.

28. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

drjcv said:  we see dumbfucks like you trying to say burton makes boards in china every year. we all know the kids boards and some big box stores are made there but i'll give you every snowboard i own if you can find a burton employee going on record that the high end boards are made in china not austria. put up or shut up.

The only info I have is about the Barracuda. High end, is to general.

Unless that dude from Jersey has other info, like seeing a production board in person, then my source is good.

29. The_Pope

The_Pope

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Neither here nor there

Board question   

drjcv'd™

30. User has not uploaded an avatar

powhunter

Loungin Since Sep '11

Board question   

drjcv said:  we see dumbfucks like you trying to say burton makes boards in china every year. we all know the kids boards and some big box stores are made there but i'll give you every snowboard i own if you can find a burton employee going on record that the high end boards are made in china not austria. put up or shut up.

Where should we meet for the exchange of the email for your snowboards? Or, are you talking out your ass to try to "make your point" about how serious you like Burton up your ass? Do you use lube, or astroglide?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23556557558 16731 Dr. Dre buggravy 37 minutes
Cloudspliter?!???!! 2 NugFlutie Supra 44 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 179 awd1105 skip11 1 hour
Nico interview - 2 31 drjcv drjcv 2 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23862863864 25913 TahoeChappy zkurd 3 hours
Unions vs. rome 390's ??? 7 LTshredTN NatasKaput 4 hours
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 564 Spenser tekniq33 4 hours
Official Bicycle Thread - 23127128129 3867 red baron shinobi 4 hours
Cross Country Travel 5 HIHaole JLD 6 hours
WTB: Channel inserts + hardware 5 notmikebuckley NatasKaput 6 hours