The Official 2013 Thread   

HOORAY!!! Good looks, Rossco!

2. User has not uploaded an avatar

supermo

Loungin Since Aug '12
    germany berlin

The Official 2013 Thread   

all the good stuff is not for size 13 ;(

maybe juicy in 170 or fish in 164 but 170 is way too long ,( it's hard to become happy with new burton boards with us13

3. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

The Official 2013 Thread   

Have you tried shrinkage boots a slightly higher angles?

I know some folks with monster feet who have gone back to regular waist width with shrinkage and each foot ducked over 15º (which is what I ride with a size 9 anyway).

4. User has not uploaded an avatar

supermo

Loungin Since Aug '12
    germany berlin

The Official 2013 Thread   

got 2012 ions (way better shrinkage than 2011 and 2010 - throw my driver x away for these) and i m riding with 18 -15; but i will never go below 26cm of waist width - guess that wouldn't be good - that's why my choice for nice pow boards is very small

i think i'll go 2013 fish 164 (261mm)  

5. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

The Official 2013 Thread   

there is no fish 64 for 13 ;(

6. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

The Official 2013 Thread   

2013 Capita boards on sale at C3...no 156 nas though....bummer.

7. cookie629

cookie629

Loungin Since Nov '11
    Dont worry about it

The Official 2013 Thread   

does anyone have any experience on stepchild latchkey???

im looking at latchkey vs horrorscope for this season.
    i have ridden horror before bur never got on latchkey.
    im wondering how flexible latchkey is...

it says flex level 4 on their catalog, hmm

any help?

8. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

The Official 2013 Thread   

The Latchkey is a lot like the horror, its pretty much the closest you could get to the feeling of the horror in stepchild's line.

Keep in mind the smaller sizes of the latch are 4mm of reverse (Stepchild's progressive camber sizes) while the bigger sizes are 6mm of reverse. Also, the latchkey is a slimmer board than the horror.

I would probably own one if they came in a little wider sizes.

9. illocon

illocon

Loungin Since May '11
    Liverpool

The Official 2013 Thread   

I found the latchkey to be stiffer than the horror although the only horror i tried had been properly broken in and had months of use on it! And when I say stiffer I mean I didn't think I could fold it as easily!

I've not ridden many capita boards - indoor of 2011, horror of 2012 and a 2012 bsod - but I have ridden a lot of stepchild boards and for all their jibby focus, I found the stepchild boards to be stiffer than you'd imagine.

They aren't rock solid, and their tips are often a bit soft, but between the bindings they are mid level at their softest. Plenty of people buy the Jibstick thinking it's going to be this super soft noodle but its actually a bit of a plank, built to take urban hit after urban hit.

The latchkey is a perfectly fine all around board, capable of doing pretty much everything and the Iron Maiden influenced logo of 2011 is one of my favourite graphics. I haven't ridden the Joe Sexton pro models - they are too short and narrow - but they are supposed to be pretty soft relative to other boards.

My 2011 Headless Horseman - replaced/renamed as the FTW in 2012 and 2013 - is their 'stiffest' rocker board, but given my size and strength I can press it very easily after a year or more of use.

I'm not a good or an experienced rider and I don't have the wider views of others here, but I really like the feel of StepChild's boards and they suit how I ride so my views are probably biased.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 2012 FTW (the frankenstein desparado graphic) in a 157!

10. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

The Official 2013 Thread   

I love the Iron Maiden Latchkey graphics from last year. The Joe is designed to be a softer/mellow jib stick. It is slimmer in the waist, but it still has a pretty wide nose/tail.

@illocon, I meant to ask you about your experience with the Headless Horseman. It seems like everyone is loving the new 2013 FTW (the whole FootyFiend crew is practically rocking them). I would pick up a 51 FTW or headless horseman but its just too slim for me.

What other stepchild boards have you ridden illocon?  

11. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

The Official 2013 Thread   

first bulk burton order came in today. we went small with boards this year so it won't be much. today we got a sherlock 60, cheetah 59, and barracuda 57 for men's boards.

cheetah is absolutely something i would love to try. black barracuda graphic is rad. didn't really look at the sherlock.

12. cookie629

cookie629

Loungin Since Nov '11
    Dont worry about it

The Official 2013 Thread   

@dan, @illocon,

thanks

13. illocon

illocon

Loungin Since May '11
    Liverpool

The Official 2013 Thread   

Dan, my HH is simply brilliant. I prefer it over my BSOD and prefer it over other boards I've ridden extensively (mainly Nitro Rook - which is still a fantastic board, a couple of Endeavor's, Burton Custom, Burton Love, K2 Parkstar, K2 Turbodream, a couple of Bataleons from 2011 and earlier, Forum Destroyer & Youngblood from 2011 and others I can't quite remember).

The WW on my 154 is 250 and I wear size 11 US (though I wear size 12/13 in street shoes) and I've never had any problems with heel or toe drag. The board can carve, I got the confidence to press and to jump on it and while it doesn't have the quickest base around it still shifts. Also, and this could be a big thing, it has taken more damage over a longer period of time than my BSOD and has barely shown it while the BSOD has gouges and chips all over it. I took the HH and BSOD away with me in January and each time I was on the BSOD I was having fun, but I kept wondering if I'd be having more fun on the HH.

As for other StepChild boards, well I've tried the 2010 & 2011 Jibstick, JP Walker Pro and Simon Chamberlain Pro models, the 2011 Latchkey, the 2011 Salary Man (i.e. the Sucks board) and the 2012 Latchkey and Powder Sucks. I enjoyed them all - especially the 2012 Powder Sucks - but I'm more than happy with the HH and given that the 2012 FTW is pretty much the same I just want a slightly longer edge and so I'm looking for the 157.

14. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

The Official 2013 Thread   

Yeah the HH/FTW looks awesome. I could fit into a 154 (I have size 11 boots but I'm going to try to squeeze to a size 10 or 10.5 next season because my foot never grew into 11's) but the 151 is ideal for my height and weight.

How does the Powder sucks compare to your Headless Horseman? I was thinking of getting one as my all around deck but the 152mw looks a tad too wide and I'm not into the graphics. If I go size 10's next season I could probably fit into a normal 152 fine.

15. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

The Official 2013 Thread   

you guys must either be really skinny for your heights or you just have huge feet.

a 151 with size 11?? I am 6'2", 190lbs w/ a size 11 boot and other than the nug all my boards are in the high 150's and up.

16. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

The Official 2013 Thread   

it probably also has to do with personal preference/where you ride/what you ride.

all of the "board selectors/guides" out there say i should ride something in the low to mid 160's, but those just don't work well on a 300 ft vertical parking lot doing baby side hits jibbing logs. so i ride boards in the low 150's.

17. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

The Official 2013 Thread   

tekniq33 said: you guys must either be really skinny for your heights or you just have huge feet.

I know I've said this somewhere on EL, but I'm too lazy to find it. I'm just a weird situation. I'm really skinny for my height and I have long feet. On top of that, I like smaller boards (153 is pretty much my max). That adds up to a weird situation when I'm choosing boards.

18. illocon

illocon

Loungin Since May '11
    Liverpool

The Official 2013 Thread   

Tek - I'm 6' and about 220-230. I have some cushion for the pushing, but I'm naturally a big lad (even when I get down to being thin I'm still 200 pounds and a 34 inch waist with a 44 inch chest due to a big rib cage).

I learnt to ride on a 157. My first board was a 159W and the Headless Horseman is a 154 since I wanted a shorter board to learn to jib and do flat land stuff on.

My BSOD is a 162 and it just feels too long, and yet too short since the rocker outside the binding seems to make it run shorter with a lot of nose flapping about (yeah, I'm not a good enough rider). I think my sweet spot is 156-158, though that's just a mental thing since the diff between a 154 and a 162 is nothing at all.

Dan - I'm not good enough to really tell the difference between the HH and the Sucks. The Sucks would do everything I'd need, I just really liked the graphic of the HH and thought that the bamboo would make it a touch lighter. Which is a weird thing to say since I'm such a heavy dude so it'd make fuck all difference in the end! I think it being a wee bit stiffer also helped to compensate for my weight.

But I like the sucks board, and liked the 2010 graphic. The salary man 2011 graphic didn't do it for me while the Shorty's homage for 2012 just irritated me due to the incorrect use of the comma in 'Powder Suck's'.

19. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

The Official 2013 Thread   

I know to each his own and board selectors are BS but i was just imagining someone with feet that big being fairly big and a 151 being super small. 157 is pretty normal and I have to say riding the nug really opened my eyes to smaller boards.

gerry makes a good point to about conditions coming in to play but even for VT I feel like I need a little bit of length to navigate the mountain, especially when the conditions are shit. Sure its doable on a smaller board but I would rather work a little less and ride a slightly bigger board.

20. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

The Official 2013 Thread   

Yeah illocon, stepchild's graphics are usually a hit or miss for me. Sometimes I grow into them and start to like them. I kind of like the sucks graphic for 2013, even though they cut the mid wide versions I could run a 152. The 151 FTW's waist of 246 is kind of pushing it for me but this picture posted earlier in this thread shows that the FTW really cuts in and slims in the waist but widens up in the tip/tail. Tough decision.

21. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

The Official 2013 Thread   

im 5'10 , size 11 boot 215# and i dont go smaller than a 153, but i could probably get away with 151 if i duck footed it. but feel pretty comfortable on a 53 for park

22. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

The Official 2013 Thread   

tekniq33 said: I know to each his own and board selectors are BS but i was just imagining someone with feet that big being fairly big and a 151 being super small. 157 is pretty normal and I have to say riding the nug really opened my eyes to smaller boards.
    gerry makes a good point to about conditions coming in to play but even for VT I feel like I need a little bit of length to navigate the mountain, especially when the conditions are shit. Sure its doable on a smaller board but I would rather work a little less and ride a slightly bigger board.

Well I ride two mountains, so I'm trying to get a board for each this season. One is your typical East Coast rail land that a noodle could handle and one is a kind of bigger sized East Coast mountain that needs a bigger sturdier board for their runs/park.

I'm super light so while I could fit into a longer board, my weight wouldn't support it. I like smaller boards because they are fun to dick around on and maneuver. For the small hill I ride I'm going with anything 149-151 and for the big hill I ride I want something that's 152-153, but now that I think about it I could probably handle a 54 FTW.

23. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

The Official 2013 Thread   

honestly dan dan youre not going to notice the 2 cm between a 151 and a 153...its all mental  

i feel like we've got the same stats for the most part....how much do you weigh? im 5'10 135 and i ride a 151 for my little resort close to campus, 155 for jackson hole, and a 156 for pow but id be comfortable going up to a 160.

dont be afraid of the bigger boards! its all in your head

24. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

The Official 2013 Thread   

i notice, granted it's a small difference.

25. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

The Official 2013 Thread   

id say you could notice it, but not enough for it to matter

26. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

The Official 2013 Thread   

enough to matter to me, but yes you can do all the same things on each size. errbuddy's different though.

27. southeastaGNARchy

southeastaGNARchy

Loungin Since Apr '12
    Knoxville, TN

The Official 2013 Thread   

spenser said:

thewhitedragon said:  Spencer> You have any flix of the new Burton Restricted Outer Wear?

i have the catalog. is there any category and/or aspects you're specifically interested in?
    also, someone asked me to post the family tree specs, but i can't find the post anymore. if you see this, anything specific? general size? models?  
    i'm sure the burton site will be up soon enough anyway

Could you post the specs of the Parkitect? Cant decide if I want to ride the parkitect or whammy bar for this season. Waist width is my main concern, not quite sure the 150 parkitect will be wide enough for my size 10.5 boots

28. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

The Official 2013 Thread   

will do when i get home later tonight

29. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

The Official 2013 Thread   

Anon launched today:

http://anonoptics.com/

30. southeastaGNARchy

southeastaGNARchy

Loungin Since Apr '12
    Knoxville, TN

The Official 2013 Thread   

spenser said: will do when i get home later tonight

thank you sir

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Random shred news and etc... - 23636465 1943 Junkshow tp1_kenobi 2 hours
Your loving situation - 23258259260 7785 Horse Repairman SuburbanLegend8 5 hours
Fun Powdery Video Thread - 23252627 805 Lomax sometimesdylan 5 hours
Cleaning out my closet - Lib TRS, Airblaster, L1, helmets, etc 6 SuburbanLegend8 SuburbanLegend8 6 hours
terror comes to canada 8 pastaboy Bielawski 6 hours
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23678 233 vancouver Supra 7 hours
Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23149150151 4509 HLC123 Bielawski 7 hours
should I ride this? 9 gerry. Supra 7 hours
The Denver thread - 23272829 841 Deucen zkurd 8 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23861862863 25873 TahoeChappy Gonzo 9 hours