• 2 Members Subscribed To Topic

Tags:

take me to the bottom
  1. sw00shm4n

sw00shm4n

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Whale's Vagina

Official Android Thread   

^^^ Jen, how are you liking your S3? I'm assuming it's Verizon?

Thinking of pulling the trigger and upgrading to the S3 in the next few days, any reason why I shouldn't? (I'm on Verizon)  

Edit: Looks like Best Buy Mobile on eBay is offering 20% off phones priced within 29.99 to 249.99, with a $35 upgrade fee. Am I missing any fine print here? Anyone have experience with Best Buy Mobile?

2. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09
    EL, Michigan -> Tahoe -> Seattle

Official Android Thread   

FUCK verizon

Went in a month ago to upgrade to the S3. They said I could do it now or wait a month because I would get a $50 coupon. Waited the month, and went into the store today to get my S3. They told me in order to upgrade I would have to give up my unlimited data! Fuck them...They said it went in effect a couple of weeks ago.

Fucking verizon crooks...

3. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Official Android Thread   

stuuuuuuu89 said:  FUCK verizon
    Went in a month ago to upgrade to the S3. They said I could do it now or wait a month because I would get a $50 coupon. Waited the month, and went into the store today to get my S3. They told me in order to upgrade I would have to give up my unlimited data! Fuck them...They said it went in effect a couple of weeks ago.
    Fucking verizon crooks...

My Dad had to ditch his too, his phone bill sky rocketed afterwards. I have the 4GB for $30 and I haven't even come close to 1GB.

4. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

Official Android Thread   

yeah thats some bull. luckily i got my gnex before they tried to bend me over on that shit. looking into other carriers in the near future.

5. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Official Android Thread   

I'm sorry sw00sh, I'm just now seeing this.

I love everything about my s3. No complaints whatsoever. I would recommend it to anyone.

That sucks for those of you who didn't get in before the unlimited data ban. I ordered mine like 2 days before. Unfortunately my husband was stubborn and didn't want to upgrade right now, because he didn't think he would like the s3. Well now he has played with mine a bit an seen how much I love it, and he's feeling left out, I think, so it's just a matter of time before I have to switch over too.

6. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

Official Android Thread   

Is the unlimited data thing only for new verizon customers or current customers getting a new phone???

7. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09
    EL, Michigan -> Tahoe -> Seattle

Official Android Thread   

passing-gas said: Is the unlimited data thing only for new verizon customers or current customers getting a new phone???

Unlimited data was offered a while ago, but now verizon is taking it away when you want to upgrade a phone.
    Now they offer a plan for more money per month, that has a fixed amount of data and overage charges.
    Hopefully, verizon realized they fucked up and bring back the unlimited data.

8. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Official Android Thread   

I get a couple spam apps show up on my homescreens each week. Any way to block this?

9. sw00shm4n

sw00shm4n

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Whale's Vagina

Official Android Thread   

No worries Jen, ended up getting my GS3 a few days ago as well and am liking it so far.

10. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Android Thread   

shralp said:  I get a couple spam apps show up on my homescreens each week. Any way to block this?

What apps?

11. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

youknowlarry said:

shralp said:  I get a couple spam apps show up on my homescreens each week. Any way to block this?

What apps?

Usually some kind of game or shopping, it's always something different. Not sure if it's just an icon that will link me to a website or download of if it is an app. I never open them.

12. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Android Thread   

Try installing Airpush Detector (I think that's what it's called). That should tell you what application is spamming you.

13. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

Thanks Larry.

14. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

Easy, it identified a tetris type game "falling block" as the culprit. Uninstalled with one click. Easy peasy Kraft macaroni and cheesy.

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Android Thread   

Nice. I've never had that problem, so I'm glad it worked.

16. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

Paging Larry....

I swear cell-phones have a 2 year self destruct mechanism or something. My OG Droid X has been doing ok as of lately. Then about a week ago, the battery seems to have taken a big shit on itself. My phone is on standby most of the day, never have to worry about charging it during the day, usually just throw it on the charge at night and it's good to go.

The last week it has only been making it to 80% charge. Then tonight the power ran LOW and it turned itself off. No problem right? It's done this before....

Well its been on the charger for a few hours and the thing shows no signs of life. In the past plugging it in will display the "M" motorola symbol and then show an empty battery with some red "zero %" goo swishing back and forth. Now, nada. Tried taking the battery out/in a few times as well. Still nothing.

Any thoughts on how to revive the phone???

17. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

Official Android Thread   

passing-gas said: Paging Larry....
    I swear cell-phones have a 2 year self destruct mechanism or something. My OG Droid X has been doing ok as of lately. Then about a week ago, the battery seems to have taken a big shit on itself. My phone is on standby most of the day, never have to worry about charging it during the day, usually just throw it on the charge at night and it's good to go.
    The last week it has only been making it to 80% charge. Then tonight the power ran LOW and it turned itself off. No problem right? It's done this before....
    Well its been on the charger for a few hours and the thing shows no signs of life. In the past plugging it in will display the "M" motorola symbol and then show an empty battery with some red "zero %" goo swishing back and forth. Now, nada. Tried taking the battery out/in a few times as well. Still nothing.

if larry doesn't get back to you in desired amount of time, try posting this question here

http://www.xda-developers.com/

im sure someone on there will be able to help you.

18. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Android Thread   

passing-gas said: Paging Larry....

Are you sure the charger works? Have you tried someone else's charger? It's a standardized plug so 90% of the people you know who have a smartphone will have a charger that fits.

If the green LED comes on (charging indicator) but the phone just doesn't boot try this: plug in the phone, take out the batter and SD card, then try to boot the phone. If it doesn't boot, throw the battery and SD card back in then try to boot again.

If that doesn't work, try getting a new battery. You can get them for like $4 off Amazon (and if you have Prime, free 2-day shipping).

If none of those solutions work, get a replacement phone because ur phukt.

19. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

Thanks Larry!

As it turns out, the simplest solution worked. Plugged it into wife's charger and am back in business.

Don't know why I didn't try that right away, must have not been thinking clearly last night ; )

20. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

So back on teh topic of Verizon and smartphones....

In a converstation I had with a Verizon person the other day, beacause our original plan included unlimited data, we are somehow grandfathered in to keep our unlimited data plans($30/phone/month). Has anyone else heard of this?

Larry, is it a no-brainner to wait for the RAZR HD MAX vs. getting the samsuck G3?

Now that I have a working charger, I am once again hopeful my current phone will last a little longer until the next batch of phones (RAZR HD/Iphone 5) are out and I can play with them a bit.

21. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Android Thread   

passing-gas said: So back on teh topic of Verizon and smartphones....
    In a converstation I had with a Verizon person the other day, beacause our original plan included unlimited data, we are somehow grandfathered in to keep our unlimited data plans($30/phone/month). Has anyone else heard of this?

I'm getting ready for an upgrade here pretty soon and my latest conversation with Verizon did not yield the same results. On the upside, though, based on my data usage my plan will be cheaper than it is now. So we'll see how that goes, I guess. I'm glad to see you at least have the option though.

passing-gas said:  
    Larry, is it a no-brainner to wait for the RAZR HD MAX vs. getting the samsuck G3?
    Now that I have a working charger, I am once again hopeful my current phone will last a little longer until the next batch of phones (RAZR HD/Iphone 5) are out and I can play with them a bit.

I'd say you're probably best waiting before you absolutely need to jump on something. I'm with you on the Samsung; never have liked them and I still don't. Don't like the UI adjustments they make, don't like the build quality, and I don't like the blue tint they give the screen.

As far as the Moto Razr goes, I think it's just going to be the Razr HD. I've read that they're releasing both the HD and the Maxx HD together, but all of the reports only confirm specs for the HD...leading me to believe that something's mixed up (plus, why would they cannibalize sales with two phones of similar build?). Anyway, I'm just hoping Motorola doesn't fall behind the curve of the next generation of phones coming out because I prefer them as a manufacturer. If that ends up being a disappointment, then the Galaxy S3 will have to suffice.

Whatever happens, though, know that we're in it together.

22. rgrwilco

rgrwilco

Loungin Since Jan '10
    jersey

Official Android Thread   

So today is the last day for flash i hear. If you already have it, your good, but no new activated android devices will get it.

23. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

Passing Gas, I'm on the unlimited Verizon plan too. Mine expires May 2013. My understanding is that the "you'll be grandfathered in" is not entirely accurate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/16/verizon-unlimited-data-plans_n_1521967.html

I'm not switching carriers any time soon either because Verizon has a tower at the top of my local ski area and non-Verizon users have very limited to no cell service there, while I have a 3g connection.

24. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

youknowlarry said:

passing-gas said: So back on teh topic of Verizon and smartphones....

I'm getting ready for an upgrade here pretty soon and my latest conversation with Verizon did not yield the same results. On the upside, though, based on my data usage my plan will be cheaper than it is now. So we'll see how that goes, I guess. I'm glad to see you at least have the option though.

passing-gas said:  

I'd say you're probably best waiting before you absolutely need to jump on something. I'm with you on the Samsung; never have liked them and I still don't. Don't like the UI adjustments they make, don't like the build quality, and I don't like the blue tint they give the screen.
    As far as the Moto Razr goes, I think it's just going to be the Razr HD. I've read that they're releasing both the HD and the Maxx HD together, but all of the reports only confirm specs for the HD...leading me to believe that something's mixed up (plus, why would they cannibalize sales with two phones of similar build?). Anyway, I'm just hoping Motorola doesn't fall behind the curve of the next generation of phones coming out because I prefer them as a manufacturer. If that ends up being a disappointment, then the Galaxy S3 will have to suffice.
    Whatever happens, though, know that we're in it together.

Thunder Buddy's 4 lyfe!

25. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Android Thread   

shralp said: Passing Gas, I'm on the unlimited Verizon plan too. Mine expires May 2013. My understanding is that the "you'll be grandfathered in" is not entirely accurate.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/16/verizon-unlimited-data-plans_n_1521967.html
    I'm not switching carriers any time soon either because Verizon has a tower at the top of my local ski area and non-Verizon users have very limited to no cell service there, while I have a 3g connection.

Yeah, I kinda assumed it wouldn't be unlimited forever. Verizon has a share everything plan now. Currently our famry plan is 5 lines. Keeping things abOUT the same just going from "unlimited" data to 2GB was quoted as the same price we are currently paying, so will ride the "unlimited" gravy train as long as we can.

New "share everything" plans can have up to 10 devices.....Larry, Shralp, etc, you guys are just my brothers from another mother, right??? ; )

26. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

Official Android Thread   

we should make a post your homescreen's thread.

27. sorrybrah

sorrybrah

Loungin Since Dec '11
    Detroit

Official Android Thread   

28. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Official Android Thread   

larry jungle, unless you can talk me out of it i'm getting a One X tomorrow

29. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Android Thread   

Don't do it :3

30. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Official Android Thread   

in favor of what? only practical options seem to be S3 ($100 moar, comparable specs from what i have read, not an HTC), atrix HD (didn't enjoy my atrix), iphone (puke)

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23149150151 4508 HLC123 niemoid 2 minutes
FS: 2015 Burton Walden Gore-tex Volcom Ventral pants XL TD2 Jacket 6 bennytree bennytree 15 minutes
Albuquerque 4 zkurd rossco23 18 minutes
Ashy's Die Cut Stickers - ready for orders! 24 ashy larry ashy larry 18 minutes
Get Baked With Spenser 15 Spenser rossco23 20 minutes
The North East Thread - 23727374 2212 Bdawg NugFlutie 22 minutes
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23149150151 4505 shralp Spenser 22 minutes
Muzak, What are you listening to? - 23137138139 4160 Junkshow buggravy 24 minutes
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 554 Spenser tekniq33 1 hour
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23227228229 6842 JungleLarry zkurd 1 hour