Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

For one of my classes I need to select a case (well a company) that involves business innovation in some way and in order to find enough material it should be 'big' enough. Any ideas?
    To give you an idea what type of case I need- The prof wrote:
    Avoid well-known, over-discussed cases like the Ipad, Zara, Facebook, and Starbuck. Just some examples to give an idea about possible cases:
    The out-break of the imitation virus, Android in laptops, Business development in emerging markets, Telemedicine and innovation of health care, How to use Twitter in your business model, The market for Eco food, Changes in the newspaper industry

So yeah, brainstorm with me :)
    I thought somehow about social media in general and the effects on marketing or maybe the development of Brazil but if anyone has a cool idea where to find an innovation in a specific firm in those fields or just another really innovative company with enough buzz about it - holla!

Thanks      

2. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

Innovation - Help   

you want innovation in general or innovation in the specific field is good enough (noone did this in that field)?

i have something in mind, its not big -its actually pretty small- but it might make a case.

In case you want something big you can try Open Source Software and/or Linux.

3. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

It's not a bad thing if it's a small company but if you google the company's name with the word innovation/innovative and nothing really comes up then it's probably too small.

linux is a nice idea. same with mozilla then probably. googled it a bit though and didn't find all that much. i have to write 5000-6000 words about this company and their innovation. the innovation can be general, new in the field, also a new businessmodel (i.e. what starbucks did with coffee shops) is stuff i'd consider (or the prof considers.. ) innovation.

mobile apps was just another idea. i don't have a phone that can have apps. is there one big company (besides apple) that uses/builds/provides apps? otherwise i could probably also use apple here although the prof finds the ipad case overdiscussed..  

4. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

open office maybe?  
    also cloud computing..
    or amazon (kindle?)

i just emailed the prof if he wants a certain company or a specific product. i hate when the outlines are unclear.  

5. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

Innovation - Help   

Apples only big innovation IMO is marketing and the cult that created but thats another story.

The company that i had in mind is a small boutique electric guitar maker in Finland (Ruokangas Guitars) which used Youtube in order to illustrate the design process of guitar. They got quite some attention after that considering that they make about 100 instruments per year. Probably thats not big enough.

Choosing an open source project or the Free software movement is probably big but don't expect to get the paper done by Googling "...(name)..." innovation. You have to understand whats innovative and what they did differently in order to see where the innovation lies.

This movie is a good starting point for linux in case you are interested. Its a bit old but anyway.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

6. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>no snowboarding

Innovation - Help   

dyson vacuum cleaners and other products

7. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Innovation - Help   

There is actually a lot of innovation taking place in the trash industry. With all of the new recycling guidelines and product uses everything from pickup to disposal/recycling, to the new product it is being used for is quickly evolving. Vancouver just took steps to require composting that will be picked up along with trash.

Japan's innovations in recycling especially are impressive.

Trash is the everlasting commodity and it all smells like money.

8. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

Thanks everyone :)
    i'll look into the trash! that would be pretty interesting. i just need to find one specific company that's big enough to make the newspapers/blogs

9. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Innovation - Help   

Republic Waste Industries is probably the biggest in the US. Outside of that I would really look towards EU and Japan as they have far more limited space and more of a need to innovate than the US.

10. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Innovation - Help   

eva said: Business development in emerging markets

How about micro-finance in 3rd world countries? It's a topic that is always interesting to me.

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Innovation - Help   

Or the historical shifts in organizational structures to meet market needs. There's plenty of information regarding bureaucratic, u form, m form, h form, matrix, and multidimensional organizational structures, what companies pioneered them, why they're used, and when they're relevant. A lot of this is the basis for globalization and product-centered competitive advantage.

12. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

Innovation - Help   

there is a company called ion torrent that has developed a new type of DNA sequencer that is likely going to be a game changer because of how much cheaper they can do it. http://www.iontorrent.com/. within a couple years you will be able to sequence your entire genome for less than $1000, which has huge implications for biology and medicine in particular. i haven't looked but i would guess that this company has started to make waves in the mainstream media. basically, their big innovation is to use integrated circuits (microchips), which are cheap to make because the microelectronics industry has been pouring money into it for the last 50 years. every other sequencing technology needs custom equipment and expensive optics that drives their cost up. not sure if this is too sciencey for your purposes though.  

13. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

Innovation - Help   

eva said:  Thanks everyone :)
    i'll look into the trash! that would be pretty interesting. i just need to find one specific company that's big enough to make the newspapers/blogs

Along the trash route you could go with Subaru and their trash free auto plant and the trend for companies to reuse more of their 'trash' created in manufacturing.

14. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

Innovation - Help   

check out Common. they are a "social venture community." basically, if you have an idea for a company, and enough other people are interested, they'll support your venture by making you a subbrand of Common. ie there is a bicycle company called Common Cycles, a coffee organization called Coffee Common, an organic food distributor called Common Farms, etc.

15. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Innovation - Help   

serraph said:

eva said:  Thanks everyone :)

Along the trash route you could go with Subaru and their trash free auto plant and the trend for companies to reuse more of their 'trash' created in manufacturing.

Look at what snowboard companies are doing with recycled materials as well. Bases, sidewalls, fiberglass.  

16. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

Innovation - Help   

How about Bang Bros? They were innovative in the pron industry.

17. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09
    bucktown --> strong island

Innovation - Help   

a couple of interesting new business models:

social commerce - groupon
    environmental commerce - recyclebank 

18. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

thanks!!
    a lot of great ideas although anything getting to technical and/or into finance - i am not a big fan because i don't necessarily understand everything in a way i would want to. i'll look into all of them though because

[...] The case is a story that tells what kind of remarkable things have happened. That might be at product, or project level, but can also be at business or firm level. Use the information about the case as far as relevant for your interpretation.

Sounds as long as I have a story to tell, the prof doesn't care. I hate vague papers like this.

19. sw00shm4n

sw00shm4n

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Whale's Vagina

Innovation - Help   

Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). According to Wiki, it was discovered by a guy working for Cetus Corporation, a biotech company in Northern California.

Eva, have you taken any college Biology courses? I know you said you'd like to stick to something you can understand everything, but I think PCR is something you could legitimately use.

In a nutshell, PCR allows for amplification (making copies) of strands of DNA. It was considered a pretty big breakthrough/innovation in the biotech industry and is now a commonly used technique in other various industries like forensics.

20. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

Innovation - Help   

Environmental Waste International Inc.

They just opened their first tire ever recycling plant here in town...What they are doing is great...They are able to recover 4 byproducts from tires...It could be huge

21. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Innovation - Help   

Honestly I couldn't write a paper about the advance in marketing using twitter or apps because it seems too obvious outside of saying duh for 10 pages.

22. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Innovation - Help   

boy said:  Honestly I couldn't write a paper about the advance in marketing using twitter or apps because it seems too obvious outside of saying duh for 10 pages.

Plus, just because it's there and you can do it doesn't mean it actually creates any value for your company. The real innovation in using social media isn't the tool (Twitter, facebook, LinkedIn, whatever), but how it's used. And even then, people generally don't care.

23. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

That's the problem I see with obvious companies/products .. they are just so DUH. Not looking forward to this paper. That's why I need a good idea that I can go on and on about 10-12 pages

24. User has not uploaded an avatar

rggdxb

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Dubai

Innovation - Help   

dave99 said:  Environmental Waste International Inc.
    They just opened their first tire ever recycling plant here in town...What they are doing is great...They are able to recover 4 byproducts from tires...It could be huge

A company I've been working with from Germany, BSW, pioneered this technology back in the '70s
    Why don't you look at as has been mentioned the Environmental industry, check out GreenHomesGlobal.com they have a waste to energy technology which is CO2 free (ie no incineration) and they are offering financing to their potential customers over extended lease to own schemes, 2 innovations in one go!

25. soul korea

soul korea

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Brooklyn Baby

Innovation - Help   

Toto!

26. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Innovation - Help   

Wrote about:
    How can users influence ownership changes and thus drive innovation in the open source software industry?

used openoffice.org
    5900 words

thanks everyone again who brainstormed with me :)

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Slash Straight Replacement 12 Face Face 42 minutes
Japan Pow - 23101112 332 Supra Supra 58 minutes
Edumacashon - 239899100 2992 red baron minimal 1 hour
teh Portland thread - 23888990 2696 truckeebread passing gas 1 hour
who wants corn chips? 4 goggles highme 1 hour
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 2391011 314 awd1105 lou skannon 1 hour
"Street" snowboarding rails no longer legit 5 dood highme 1 hour
Powzer Board Quiver - 23555657 1694 shralp Spenser 2 hours