No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

What injuries have you got from riding?   

Considering what you guys and Sodder have done I feel lucky getting off with just one broken wrist and an bruise the size and shape of South America on my shin (most likely also a small fracture to said shin bone).

Wish I could say that my injuries haven't slowed me down but they have. It would be different if I had an office job; no pressing need for mobility there.

2. big_matt

big_matt

Loungin Since Jan '10

2 concussions
    Broken shoulder
    Cartilage damage in knee for which the operation has kept me out 18 months now.

Not too bad overall for about 15 years on snow.

3. dan the man

dan the man

Loungin Since Feb '11
    Whistler balls deep...

kaston said:  holy shit. i'm guessing you went too far rider's right in VD and got cliffed out?

No just landed wrong off a drop and sat down...right onto a tree stump with a small tough pointy part. Fuck it hurt so much for weeks/months after.

Big_matt what are those boards in your avatar?

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

Here it goes...In order over the last 23 years.

1. broken right ankle
    2. broken left thumb
    3. broken right thumb
    4. chip tail bone w/ concussion
    5. AC separation w/ compound fractured collar bone
    6. pressure brake of two bottom front teeth w/ concussion
    7. fracture of left orbital (eye socket)
    8. Compressed disk in back
    9. slight tear of the lateral medial meniscus (left knee)
    10. Left knee Patella dislocation with severe bone bruise (last year)

but the worst injury I've seen was a guy I know slam his face into his knee off a 20 foot cliff. They were picking pieces of his teeth out of his knee in the hospital.    

5. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

All I've really had is a concussion, and a fucked up back from landing on my ass really hard from really high up.

6. dan the man

dan the man

Loungin Since Feb '11
    Whistler balls deep...

MikeHoncho

'sending it deep for 23 years!'

7. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

It was pretty warm the one day i was riding a few day's ago so we decided to do a few runs in just tee shirts. hit this kicker these kids built up next to a tree and one of the branches got me pretty good. Looked down and there was blood staining my shirt. Gashed my arm up pretty good definitely gonna have a big ass scar there for awhile.  

8. caponerobert

caponerobert

Loungin Since Feb '12
    New Jersey

hit my head and broke my elbow yesterday
    seperate falls :(

9. num9boarder

num9boarder

Loungin Since Jan '11
    icy midwest

Early season this year I cracked my helmet on a rock poking through the snow. Next 5 days of the trip it was hard to breath deep because of the whip-lash

10. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

got submarined on a stump doing some tree stuff at Smuggs, seriously thought I broke my leg. Thing swelled up like a mofo when I got back to the condo and took my boot off. This is 2 days later when the bruising set in. Only missed 1 day of riding.

11. pete_moss

pete_moss

Loungin Since Jan '12
    Cincinnasty, OH

I suffer from self-inflicted EBA (extremely bruised ass) almost every time I get out. I'm always trying to jump off stupid shit and then I bust up my ass. But the only way to get better is to fail first. Fortunately, I haven't suffered any real injuries on the mountain yet.

Side note: I saw three people go out on stretchers yesterday at Bromley. That's the most I've ever seen in one day.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

mikehoncho said: Here it goes...In order over the last 23 years.
    1. broken right ankle
    2. broken left thumb
    3. broken right thumb
    4. chip tail bone w/ concussion
    5. AC separation w/ compound fractured collar bone
    6. pressure brake of two bottom front teeth w/ concussion
    7. fracture of left orbital (eye socket)
    8. Compressed disk in back
    9. slight tear of the lateral medial meniscus (left knee)
    10. Left knee Patella dislocation with severe bone bruise (last year)
    but the worst injury I've seen was a guy I know slam his face into his knee off a 20 foot cliff. They were picking pieces of his teeth out of his knee in the hospital.    

Adding "sprained middle finger" to the list...  

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

Damn...looks like the season may be over for me. AC Separation and some possible cracked ribs thanks to a toe side euro carve gone bad on Sierra Cement in Mammoth. This is the 2nd AC Seperation for my left shoulder...Last one was surgery with four pins and four months of rehab.

Meet with Ortho later this week to set the strategy. Hopefully it won't be that bad and I can get some pow towards the end of March. Getting old sucks...      

14. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne

Loungin Since Dec '09

mikehoncho said: Damn...looks like the season may be over for me. AC Separation and some possible cracked ribs thanks to a toe side euro carve gone bad on Sierra Cement in Mammoth. This is the 2nd AC Seperation for my left shoulder...Last one was surgery with four pins and four months of rehab.
    Meet with Ortho later this week to set the strategy. Hopefully it won't be that bad and I can get some pow towards the end of March. Getting old sucks...      

Fack that sucks!

Honcho injury fire sale in 3, 2, 1...

15. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

Serious vibes! Hopefully it won't require surgery and you'll be back in a month or six weeks...

16. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

vibes man, that sucks, I have 2 blown out AC joints myself, might have to have surgery on one at the end of this season. #teamold

17. CharlieBucketDontSurf

CharlieBucketDontSurf

Loungin Since Dec '13
    bozeman'ish

dang :(

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

wes-bourne said:

mikehoncho said: Damn...looks like the season may be over for me. AC Separation and some possible cracked ribs thanks to a toe side euro carve gone bad on Sierra Cement in Mammoth. This is the 2nd AC Seperation for my left shoulder...Last one was surgery with four pins and four months of rehab.

Fack that sucks!
    Honcho injury fire sale in 3, 2, 1...

LOL....maybe the Marilyn. Bitch did me wrong on our 2nd date.

19. payaso

payaso

Loungin Since Oct '12
    NH

Sorry to hear - that blows, Honcho! If you're like the rest of us assholes, you'll tape that shit up and try to gut it out through at least part of the season anyway. Depending on what your Ortho says, and if he'll flow you any good pharmaceuticals to manage the pain.

20. NatasKaput

NatasKaput

Loungin Since Mar '10
    Bozeman, MT

just dislocated my hip and 3 ribs day after chirtmas

21. awd1105

awd1105

Loungin Since Jan '12
    Canada

Two cracked ribs and a dislocated shoulder so far this season.

I've had about a dozen more injuries through riding, but none as serious as my 80-foot overshoot to flat that resulted in a concussion, broken humerus, broken clavicle, three broken ribs, one of which punctured a lung. Out for three days in an induced coma, leading to years of pain and the inevitable weight gain.

22. timmeh

timmeh

Loungin Since Feb '14
    the bay

nataskaput said:  just dislocated my hip and 3 ribs day after chirtmas

the ribs I get, but I have to ask - how did you dislocate your hip?

23. dkimxd

dkimxd

Loungin Since Nov '11
    socal

broke my wrist on the 31st. just takin it easy on the hill i guess for the next 6 weeks

24. User has not uploaded an avatar

airblaster503

Loungin Since Dec '12
    Oregon

I fully separated my AC a few years back, no more ligaments holding it together. Was a grade 4 on the doctors scale. Only thing that could have been worse is broken clavicle. Had to get surgery and pins placed in my shoulder. Weirdest feeling when it happened though, heard a felt a loud pop but after not a ton of pain, just felt like my shoulder was floating. Also have dislocated both of my shoulders a couple times.

Other than that I haven't had to much thank goodness.  

25. krazysk8er

krazysk8er

Loungin Since Jan '12
    NYC

this is a scary thread, i don't wanna know!

26. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

So, turns out my AC is not separated. MRI and XRays shows a left shoulder Labrum tear and three cracked ribs...

Surgery is optional at this point. I hope to be back on snow by the first week in Feb. Anyone know if there's a good shoulder brace for a labrum tear?

27. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

ask spenser

28. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Twin Cities

I got a concussion and lost the ability to form new memories for about six hours. I was like the guy from Memento, it was pretty nuts. I kept asking the same questions over and over again, my brain was on loop. My buddies wrote me a FAQ on a legal pad of all the questions I had:

"Yes you already went to the doctor.

"Yes we gave them your insurance card.

"Yes, you can go to sleep.

"That guy in the hoody's name is Sang, you've never him before."

I wish I'd kept it but the thing's lost to the ages.

Also busted a rib. Not sure if it was broken or bruised, but definitely fucked it up for a few good weeks.

Lot of minor scrapes and bruises here and there, but I've gotten pretty lucky all in all.

29. MEMPHIS

MEMPHIS

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Here and there

Broken ribs.

30. -Justus

-Justus

Loungin Since Nov '14
    Finland

Mostly bunch of small injuries because I don't have big enough hole in my head to do crazy shit and I'm too old to try almost anything on rails. Still couple of big ones.

2009 I broke ACL on my left knee when I over shot smallish (30 ft) jump by at least half. Didn't even hurt so much but the rehab after the surgery is a biaatch. Takes 6 months before you can really do anything except walk and those exercises they give you.

2013 I broke my tibia to 8 pieces. I came one boardlength short on a big kicker (60 ft) in Austria. Spend 10 days in a hospital in small Austrian village. Longest days of my life because EVERYTHING in there is in germany, magazines, tv is dubbed in germany, people speak only germany (not everybody) and I don't really speak germany. I ended up with no touch sense under my knee, lost ability to move my ankle (my toes still move a bit) and enough steel to open a small hardwarestore.

Still hurts on my knee and I have to use tape and knee support when I ride. But the great news is that couple of days ago (almost exactly 22 months later) I started jumping a again. Sraight airs and BS1s on a 30ft jump. Thats already made up my winter. But I think there's few BS5s for me too, hopefully next weekend.

I'm with krazysk8er that this kind of threads are scary but I give hope that even we older dudes can get back on board after injuries. After the ACL I came back with a vengeance and my riding got A LOT better than before even if I had like 15 years riding before that. This later injury may stopped my progression but for now it feels great to be riding somewhat normal way.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23111213 373 vancouver joshscott187 18 minutes
The Official 2016 Thread - 23707172 2131 whoisminishred chucky 23 minutes
Slash Snowboards - gigi rüf - 23111213 380 bosso fishface 1 hour
Burton Con Artist - 23242526 759 Supra wino 1 hour
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23565758 1711 Jneischen Van 2 hours
Your loving situation - 23261262263 7864 Horse Repairman Jerms 3 hours
Fun Powdery Video Thread - 23262728 832 Lomax Qurph 3 hours
grand unification theory 3 tianjin tianjin 3 hours
Anyone in England? 2 notmikebuckley Wes Bourne 6 hours
The North East Thread - 23767778 2323 Bdawg Wes Bourne 6 hours