• Started 3 years ago by abrakfkingdabra
  • Latest reply from F18
take me to the bottom
  1. tester

tester

Loungin Since Feb '10
    SnurfRider Foundation

A letter from Terje . . .   

stealth said: spiritual death, not literal.

I know, Im not trying to argue here.

But you directed the comment towards me so I felt I should respond, thats all..

2. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

stealth said:

f18 said:

stealth said: ipod's run was more difficult but it looked boring. not style, just like an olympic gymnast doing exactly what the rules state to get a perfect score.

that's like, your opinion. MAN!
    switch fs DC to begin with (that IMHO is very well done), the fs5 is nice/smooth aund high... every pipe DC will look a bit hucky I think.
    AMPLITUDE counts , remember Vito's run in Vancouver? and I think that's what brought Kazu the Victory in this one, he seemed to float in the air for a little bit longer..
    I want to see more backside spins.  

Well that's the point. The tricks are executed to a point of precision that looks gymnast-y. IMO this is the opposite of what snowboarding is about but, is also the direction that competitions seem to be taking. Which is why i think its great that terje is taking a stance in the situation.

what about DD's run at the GrandPrix??
    still gym-nasty in your opinion?

I'm trying to figure if you are sort of "against" DoubleCorks in pipe comps.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

no, not at all. I think DD's run was, and I'mma let you finish, one of the best pipe runs of all time. Ipod's run from TTR, however, was cold and boring.

When SW threw down that double mctwist at the olympics and pulled it off, especially when I thought he was gonna eat it, had my jaw on the floor.

4. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

gotcha.

5. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

Great article on EXPN, that pretty much explains everything

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/blog/_/post/6037509/the-fis-vs-everybody

6. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

Double cork or no double cork, I say we've come a longs way since the days of no-grab ballerina spins in the pipe

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

7. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

I just watched the FIS world champs - the event was an embarrassment to snowboarding

8. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

I'd be interested in hearing more.…

9. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

Course was all over the place, jumps too small to lay down big tricks on, judging all over the place. The course was also very steep, meaning riders had to stop between a lot of the jumps. The bottom half of the course was ok, but the top very disjointed.

Also the TV coverage was shocking - they kept cutting to adverts halfway through runs, and the comentators didnt know any of the tricks

Here Seppe Smits run, the new world champion

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

10. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Thanks. Lol at the frontflip getting the biggest "wow"

11. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

It was quite interesting though, 90% of the riders were people you have never heard of, but most of them had doubles in their arsenal, and some good style too - unfortunately the jumps meant that most tricks were not landed. The dude who was riding the Capita Totally Fucking Awesome board at Davos came second, though probably had the best run if he had landed it - i was rooting for him as i wanted to see a board with that written on it atop an FIS podium!

It makes you realise when you watch comps like this, that there are so many kids out their that rip - whilst its true that the event was a sham because all the top pros are at the Dew Tour this weekend, i think its also fair to say that there were a lot of dudes at the world champs who would have killed it at the Dew Tour, yet are so far off the radar that they would never get an invite.

12. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

from the video that abrakfkingdabra posted i see that the course doesn't flow well and seems to have a lot of features (at least seems to have more than the average SS contest)

but honestly i believe that the the same kind of circus could have been put together by the TTR or anyone.

at the end riders will do whatever they want (according to what they want to achieve or sponsors want) FIS will get all the money, the viewers will see the logo decorated monkeys dancing in the air and Terje will continue to bitch about it.

isn't sneyboardingz funzzz :-/

13. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Wow, top of that run looks like a mess. Flow was aweful.

14. Iced_endeavor

Iced_endeavor

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Whistler, BC

my girlfriend Marie Andree Racine was part of the Canadian slope team that went over. Everytime I spoke with her during the week via Skype her roomates and her couldn't stop talking about how terrible the course was. It looked on tv, and she agreed having actually ridden it, that the course was built on what could have been a Ski race course. Super steep with a super akward S layout. After watching the event with her on DVR after she got back she said the course was actually even steeper, and way icier than it seemed on tv. She hasn't got a whole lot positive to say regarding the World Championship course in Spain.

Zack Stone, one of the canadian riders lives a couple houses over, he's a super nice guy, and is soooooo good. he has a pretty sick video riding bear with Kael Hill you can google I'm sure. He also had a starring role in Disney's Shreducation for a time hahaha. The kid slays everything, and is still real young with a great future ahead of him. He got silver in the World Championship big air. Robby Balharry, another Canadian team kid has a part in Nuulife's most recent film and he absolutely rips everything he touches too. There's some serious talent on the Canadian World Championship team. It's just so shitty they are forced to devote their time to travel to shitty contests that dont really do anything to progress the sport at all when everyone is just as concerned with walking away alive with their career and futures intact as they are with winning. Apparently there were a large number or people who left prior to qualification after having had time to see and ride the course. It's got to be pretty shitty if people are travelling to Spain and choosing to not ride in the event.  

15. RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

Uh, yeah, I must be a complete clown, I thought that course looked pretty damn good considering there was NO snow except what they made for the event. But all the message boarders know how to build the best courses and run the best events, right? You should have heard the complaining at X Games, Dew Tour, the Open and pretty much any contest. Okay I didn't hear complaints at the pipe in Aspen, but when the finals come around, something funny happens and everyone seems to forget how crappy the course is and they shut up and ride. Using FIS as an excuse to hate is just too convenient for you people.

Zach Stone is my client, just met him for the first time in Denver. Cool kid.  

16. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Bob, we don't need a PhD in course building to see that the flow looked wacky with all the drastic changes in direction. Multiple 90 degree course changes don't seem to help the flow of the event.

Do we need qualifications to state our opinion of the course?

17. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

shralp said: Bob, we don't need a PhD in course building to see that the flow looked wacky with all the drastic changes in direction. Multiple 90 degree course changes don't seem to help the flow of the event.

well duh. unless you can ride slope at a pro level shut your trap. maybe if you're mountain folk you can have one opinion

18. RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

pk-fire said:

shralp said: Bob, we don't need a PhD in course building to see that the flow looked wacky with all the drastic changes in direction. Multiple 90 degree course changes don't seem to help the flow of the event.

well duh. unless you can ride slope at a pro level shut your trap. maybe if you're mountain folk you can have one opinion

It's super easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, that's all I'm saying. You have what you have to work with and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The "fans" such as you guys, seem to have all the answers and none of the actual experience. It's as if anything FIS automatically sucks and is invalid, because uneducated and inexperienced people say so. Open minds, open eyes, open heart. Stop hating just because.....or don't.

19. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

Bob, the point is that is that the whole thing was badly thought out, from the timing, to the execution. Its not the worse course ever, but its not worthy of a world champs.

We dont pretend to have the answers, but its pretty clear that the "professionals" dont have the solutions yet either.

That course was not worthy of a world championship. Its pretty clear that slopestyle course for major comps are not built with the riders as the priority, but a multitude of outside factors influencing matters too.

There is too much of having to work with what you have got, if you want to hold an event that is meant to be the world champs, then it should be held in the most suitable resort, that can locate and build the best possible course, not in the resort that bids the highest for the rights.    

20. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

rfk said:

pk-fire said:

It's super easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, that's all I'm saying. You have what you have to work with and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The "fans" such as you guys, seem to have all the answers and none of the actual experience. It's as if anything FIS automatically sucks and is invalid, because uneducated and inexperienced people say so. Open minds, open eyes, open heart. Stop hating just because.....or don't.

If I followed your logic I wouldn't be able to share an opinion about anything.

21. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

rfk said:

pk-fire said:

is hockey not included? i find it hard to believe you watch a game without having an opinion on anything thats going on.

22. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

Just because someone is in a position within a "professional" organization and may have prior experience doesn't mean that they are right or, that someone who doesn't have the experience, or pedigree, is wrong.  

23. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

The flow wasn't great but the amount of features on that course was awesome. Multiple styles of jibs(rails, boxes, tubes, dance floor), Quarter pipe w/ top rail, 4 jump line. I do find it funny seeing all the fences and marker dye everywhere. It's like the FIS is hoping a Downhiller will poach the course.  

EDIT: Just read the EXPN article and so now I have to know if anyone knows the winner's time through the race course. Hilarious.

24. RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

drjcv said:

rfk said:

pk-fire said:

is hockey not included? i find it hard to believe you watch a game without having an opinion on anything thats going on.

What? I have never said anything about the condition of the ice, in Edmonton it's always great and in San Jose, it sucks.
    Whoopdeedoo. I have an opinion about how a player made a play or screwed up a play, but how is that anything similar to people watching a video on a computer of a slopestyle and saying it was a terrible course? Every ice rink is 180 x 80 or whatever and nobody is building things for the players to skate over and on. Every slopestyle has to meet holmogation, meaning it must be a certain pitch, length, have a certain amount of features, etc. I think the FIS actually does a good job of setting basic parameters so there is at least a minimum. To say they should build courses only in the most suitable location is a great statement, but totally unrealistic for a number of reasons, from location to whether or not you can uplink or how strong the internet connection is. It's the marketability of a location as well. It's the highest bidder who meets holmogation, What else are you going to do, turn down cash? And what you see on tv isn't always what it looks like. That street thing at X Games was pretty gnarly, I heard a few riders saying they weren't doing it because it wasn't worth getting hurt. Pretty much every event, they all complain in practice and by the time finals roll around, they all step it up and destroy the event. Nothing has changed, that's how skateboarding is too, they use pretty much the same vert ramp at every contest and these guys all complain about them. They make changes for the next year and the riders still complain. Maybe they are just tough to please or maybe they are whiny bitches.....if it walks like a duck.....oh what stupid saying.
    Just go put on an event. In fact, if I ever get the chance and someone is talking about putting on a contest, I am going to suggest that message board people will design the course, it could be a great media play. Then you guys could put your money where your mouth is and the shit talkers can step up and get higher scores than JP Walker AND Shaun White or the ladies.

25. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

rfk said: That street thing at X Games was pretty gnarly, I heard a few riders saying they weren't doing it because it wasn't worth getting hurt.

There were more riders invited to participate than the guys in the Real Snow contest? Only Dan Brisse didn't compete, but they said he was injured from filming.

26. chucky

chucky

Loungin Since Jan '10

dood said:

abrakfkingdabra said:

dood said:

rossco23 said:  he's trying to make a horrible thing a little less horrible

He's trying to get his events sanctioned as Olympic qualifiers, plain & simple. All of his points are valid, but if he did not own/develop TTR he would not have a dog in this fight. Terje is the man, but I find his interest in the Olympics an odd turnabout from his position in 1998.

I think its in line with his stance then - his objection to competing was that the FIS was in control of it, hes trying to do the same thing here by making sure they dont get control of slopestyle too

Not entirely correct. In the end FIS will control both the Games, and the qualifiers, regardless of whether or not they sanction TTR as the qualifier. The IOC is not going to bend on this, and as much regard that we might have collectively for TH, that regard, if it is shared by IOC officials (unlikely), will not translate to abnegation of its "provenance" or "manifest destiny".

I think I see where abrakfkingdabra was going with this one. Sure, the FIS/IOC will never relinquish their role as tyrannical overlords - but at least Terje is trying to make them use their superpowers more for good, and less for evil.  

27. dood

dood

Loungin Since Jul '10
    VT

28. dood

dood

Loungin Since Jul '10
    VT

29. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

i have a feeling that if the fis/ioc puts their feet down, the snowboarders will toe the line.

30. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

pk-fire said:  i have a feeling that if the fis/ioc puts their feet down, the snowboarders will toe the line.

meh, i think they need us more than we need them.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Get Baked With Spenser 21 Spenser passing gas 19 minutes
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23149150151 4509 shralp Spenser 1 hour
Muzak, What are you listening to? - 23137138139 4163 Junkshow JpBergeron 1 hour
Official Bicycle Thread - 23127128129 3854 red baron Custom Method 2 hours
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23227228229 6846 JungleLarry oakwood-jones 2 hours
Ladies stuff for sale: 156 Arbor Push and La Sportiva boots 1 zkurd zkurd 3 hours
Albuquerque 6 zkurd brsox4928 3 hours
The North East Thread - 23727374 2214 Bdawg ryan lambert 4 hours
Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23149150151 4508 HLC123 niemoid 4 hours
FS: 2015 Burton Walden Gore-tex Volcom Ventral pants XL TD2 Jacket 6 bennytree bennytree 5 hours