Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

I need suggestions ladies (or guys)...   

I am looking to replace my RED Reya helmet that I have had since I started riding. I haven't hated this helmet by any means, but I have a major issue with ear soreness with it. It's usually not so bad at first, but by the end of the day, it is so painful and uncomfortable that I just can't stand it anymore.

I need something that will fit well with my Smith I/OS goggles, and I need something with audio, because I can't stand wearing earbuds while I am riding, but I love to listen to music while I ride. I would also prefer something fairly low profile, because my current helmet kind of reminds me of a Storm Trooper, haha.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, because I really don't know much about the different helmets that are out there since the only ones they carry around here are the RED helmets, and I would like to try something different to try and avoid the pressure on my ears.

2. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

smith holt.
    i think there's an audio version. it's really light and low-profile.

3. tester

tester

Loungin Since Feb '10
    SnurfRider Foundation

Look at the Smith maze as well, I used to have a RED mutiny and it hurt my ears. Nomore ear pain with the maze with audio.Helmet is so light I don't notice it.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

+1 for the maze

5. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

I will definitely be keeping those in mind. I like the look of them and the price is pretty reasonable. I hate that I don't have the option to try helmets on before I buy :(

6. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

I swear by Giro. Give 'em a look.

7. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

bern fo' lyfe, girl.

8. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Do Giro and Bern have audio helmets? I checked out their sites, but I didn't see anything about helmets with audio?

9. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

berns have audio, and i'm pretty sure giro does, too.

10. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Okay, I see it on the Bern site now. It just wasn't really displayed well on the womens helmets.

11. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

After a little more research, it appears that Giro helmets are audio compatible as well, but you have to buy the audio system seperately, which is another $30.

12. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Okay, I think I have it narrowed down to 4 helmets that I might like. Have any of you ladies tried these, or do any of you guys know ladies that have and how they felt about them?

- Giro Prima
    - Bern Berkely
    - Smith Allure
    - Smith Intrigue

I just want all of the feedback that I can get since I don't have the option of trying them on before I purchase.

13. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

Ok. I have had the same ear pain problem with every single helmet I have ever owned and I have tried Smiths, Reds, Giros, Protecs, Berns and something else I can't remember. The painful realization I came to was that any and all ear pads are going to create pressure and eventually cause too much pain to wear the helmet. Personally I recommend getting whichever helmet fits your noggin best and removing the ear pads.

14. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

my wife has the berkely. it's light and she seems to have no problem with it. i thought it was so nice that i got the men's equivalent, the brentwood

i take the earpads/lining out of my helmet and wear a beanie under it. i've found that the ear pads don't sit right and my ears get cold easy. but i don't know if that affects the helmet's impact protection

15. User has not uploaded an avatar

el2ic

Loungin Since Aug '09

bern has some pretty cool looking helmets but they are not helmets. they are hard hats and from reading the description it doesnt sound like it offers the same protection as a full on helmet. I think Sandbox? might be the same way.

Also, i 've been digging k2's helmets for the last couple seasons. maybe check them out too.

imo, any helmet with audio in the earpads are not as comfortable when compared to the same model without the audio.

16. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Bern’s exclusive Zipmold® foam is a liquid foam injection process that provides a better weight to strength ratio so Bern can provide customers with a lighter, lower profile helmet. Zipmold® hard foam meets ASTM F 2040, CPSC and EN 1078 standards for bike and skate.

Available as a Hard Hat with a burly ABS shell with multiple-impact soft Brock® foam or as a helmet with ABS shell and EPS hard foam. EPS hard foam meets ASTM F 2040 and EN 1077B standards for snow and ski, CPSC and EN 1078 standards for bike and skate. Hard Hats with Brock soft foam do not meet the standards for action sport head protection.

17. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

I should have also mentioned that I have a Bern Macon for biking and it's my favorite bike helmet I've had yet, out of half a dozen or more. I don't know anyone with experience in any of the specific helmets you're looking at, but I've been super happy with both Giro and Bern products. You should really go try them all on before you choose, it sucks wearing a helmet that doesn't fit your head well.

18. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

serraph said:  Ok. I have had the same ear pain problem with every single helmet I have ever owned and I have tried Smiths, Reds, Giros, Protecs, Berns and something else I can't remember. The painful realization I came to was that any and all ear pads are going to create pressure and eventually cause too much pain to wear the helmet. Personally I recommend getting whichever helmet fits your noggin best and removing the ear pads.

I wish this were an option for me, but since I prefer to listen to music while I ride, I can't really do that. Earbuds do not fit my ears well and they constantly fall out (I've tried tons of different ones and I have this problem with them all), so that is not an option either.

19. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

ado said: I should have also mentioned that I have a Bern Macon for biking and it's my favorite bike helmet I've had yet, out of half a dozen or more. I don't know anyone with experience in any of the specific helmets you're looking at, but I've been super happy with both Giro and Bern products. You should really go try them all on before you choose, it sucks wearing a helmet that doesn't fit your head well.

I already explained that I do not have this luxury. I live in Indiana, and the ONLY place anywhere near me that sells snowboarding gear is the pro shop at my local hill and they only carry RED helmets, and I do not want another RED helmet.

The only choice I have is to do as much research as I can and try to make an informed decision and hope that it works out for me. It sucks, but what else can I do?

20. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

stealth said:  +1 for the maze

+2

21. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

serraph said:  Ok. I have had the same ear pain problem with every single helmet I have ever owned and I have tried Smiths, Reds, Giros, Protecs, Berns and something else I can't remember. The painful realization I came to was that any and all ear pads are going to create pressure and eventually cause too much pain to wear the helmet. Personally I recommend getting whichever helmet fits your noggin best and removing the ear pads.

+1

22. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

jen24 said:

ado said: I should have also mentioned that I have a Bern Macon for biking and it's my favorite bike helmet I've had yet, out of half a dozen or more. I don't know anyone with experience in any of the specific helmets you're looking at, but I've been super happy with both Giro and Bern products. You should really go try them all on before you choose, it sucks wearing a helmet that doesn't fit your head well.

I already explained that I do not have this luxury. I live in Indiana, and the ONLY place anywhere near me that sells snowboarding gear is the pro shop at my local hill and they only carry RED helmets, and I do not want another RED helmet.
    The only choice I have is to do as much research as I can and try to make an informed decision and hope that it works out for me. It sucks, but what else can I do?

My reading comprehension FTL... something else to consider, then, would be getting one with an adjustable retention system like the ones found on mtb/road bike helmets. My G10 has this and it makes it way easier to make the helmet fit your head perfectly. If any of the helmets you're looking at have this feature, I'd quit considering the ones that don't if I were in your shoes.

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23853854855 25632 TahoeChappy shinobi 51 minutes
Anyone looking for a Fantasy Football league to join? 1 Mr_Tidbit Mr_Tidbit 1 hour
I`m going fishing - 23262728 831 Dave99 Iced_endeavor 1 hour
burton sale - 2 59 ryan lambert earthsurfing 1 hour
Official Photography Thread - 23353637 1094 max thelumpya2 3 hours
Ze Record Collecting thread. 18 AZAspades tp1_kenobi 4 hours
jogos de carros 1 johsondon johsondon 4 hours
letter from china ( part 2 ) 30 tianjin tianjin 4 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23888990 2683 whoisminishred 89c51 8 hours
The Official Tahoe Thread - 23525354 1606 Alkasquawlik Talidew 9 hours