Ye Olde Skateboarding Thread

(1798 posts) (157 voices)
take me to the bottom
  1. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

Flyer looks pretty good Spenser, nice hierarchy of info.

2. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    That's one small step for sloths, one giant leap for slothkind

Rodney is rad

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

3. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

Austyn Gylette's new part on the Berrics is also rad.

4. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09

I kept waiting for Cory Kennedy's part (wondering why he was even in a quik vid) until I realized it's Colin Kennedy. Moron.

5. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

been skating that habitat deck with p2. i still think it's the best feeling deck i've ever skated. the pop just feels super good, on top of habitat decks already being one of my favorites. got sam buck on one as well and it was so much poppier than his previous deck that he had to adjust his skating, but now he says it's epic.

anyway, i came here to share this. i was watching a video on don pendleton's history in skating, and remembered we had this at the shop. got it a few years ago.. it's #28 of 35 DP originals, hand painted. pretty rad if you're a skate nerd, or art guy.

6. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

I would seriously consider riding a Habitat Manimal with p2, if I could ever get over my Deathwish addiction.

7. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

cool little video explaining filmer boards, but i think it's a great place to look if you're interested in the cruisers i often talk about and don't feel like reading my ramblings. it's really the exact same thing in every way, although i don't recommend the longer wheelbase if you plan to do regular skate tricks. ollies change quite a bit as you move your front truck further out..

8. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

That's a neat video. I've been thinking about picking up a smaller cruiser board with a nice tail on it to roll around on, something I can still ollie easily that doesn't feel monstrous.

9. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

zipzinger or habitat janoski cork cruiser, 54mm zinger wheels or ricta clouds, regular high trucks

10. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

I was thinking a zipzinger, thanks man.

11. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

I don't know if anyone was watching X-Games Real Street, which by the way is by-far the dumbest contest ever, but why the hell did Nyjah win? His part was super lame, especially compared to Jaws. Everyone on ESPN has Nyjah crushes, he wins everything, but honestly I don't think he's all that great.

12. snowboarder

snowboarder

Loungin Since Jul '10
    Whatever, You Know...

Been skating a lot the past couple weeks and decided to go back and really try to nail shit I kinda skipped over in the start. Just trying to get ollies higher and higher has been fun but kickflips are still somehow kicking my ass.. Skipped rock to fakies too so i've been trying them again, no dice yet. But on a better note I just picked up a girl secret spots deck which is pretty damn nice with some grizzly grip (kinda butchered the edges though) so I'm pretty stoked to get back out there and skate!

13. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

I suck so much at skating, so I just film.

14. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

snowboarder said:   Skipped rock to fakies too so ive been trying them again, no dice yet.

I just got rock to fakies. For me it was just committing to them more than anything.

15. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

skated a little tonight. i don't know what's up, but almost every time i skate at the park, even just for a little, i end up with a fucked up lower back. been going to the chiropractor for a little over a month and it's helped overall, but i'm still working out this issue. i think it stems from an old snowboard injury..

anyway, tried shooting photos with ryan. the park is super dim, but up in this corner you get a little daylight, so it wasn't as bad. struggled to get anything i was happy with on my part.. this is the only one i was alright with, but i wish it had been something other than a warm-up ollie.

16. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

hip-bag said:

snowboarder said:   Skipped rock to fakies too so ive been trying them again, no dice yet.

I just got rock to fakies. For me it was just committing to them more than anything.

ha thats the name of the game for everything skateboarding related

17. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

spenser said: skated a little tonight. i don't know what's up, but almost every time i skate at the park, even just for a little, i end up with a fucked up lower back. been going to the chiropractor for a little over a month and it's helped overall, but i'm still working out this issue. i think it stems from an old snowboard injury..
    anyway, tried shooting photos with ryan. the park is super dim, but up in this corner you get a little daylight, so it wasn't as bad. struggled to get anything i was happy with on my part.. this is the only one i was alright with, but i wish it had been something other than a warm-up ollie.

I am in the same situation. I always get lower back pain from skating, or even just jumping on my feet in general. I am also blaming it on snowboarding, when I fell straight on my tailbone off a kicker.

18. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

19. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

Nyjahs part was pretty ill. Jaws' was off the fucking hook. I can see why Nyjah won, but holy fuck jaws' several "leaps of faith" were damn incredible.

I love the Ted talks, but Rodney's was pretty awful. Cool title; terrible execution.

20. asianstick

asianstick

Loungin Since Mar '11
    Chicago

Rodney's talk was the worst I've ever seen.

21. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

• Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

slow start, but the latter end of the video gets pretty good.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/darkstar-forward-slash-premiere/

• mr mouse

mr mouse

Loungin Since Apr '10

nice to see chet thomas still in action, remember his hardflip bs1 in a-team skateboards adds in late 90s? had a-team marc johnson deck, blue with climbing ninja, ha, haven't thought of that deck for a long while, verry narrow one

• HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

I was trying no comply 180s yesterday. Shinner city. Still fun though, that trick is mind-bottling.

• mjpoltorak

mjpoltorak

Loungin Since Sep '09

• phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

hyperleafblower said:  I was trying no comply 180s yesterday. Shinner city. Still fun though, that trick is mind-bottling.

I can't do a NC to save my fucking life, when I can get those down, I think I'll quit. Any secrets, or anecdotes?

• Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09

Watch Ray Barbee.

• GumbysRath

GumbysRath

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Long Beach

^that and keep in mind it's a step off 180... charge up (compress ur body) like ur gonna ollie and then suavely pull your front foot off, pop while spinning shoulders, go with it.... the straight no comply is the one that'll snap you in the nuts if youre not careful....

• phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Nice! I think I don't load well enough....gonna try at the park tonight.

Also, Ray Barbee is probably my favorite skater of all time, which is not surprising if you know I'm a black nerd 80s baby.

• 2011 Burton Restricted
  • Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
    The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23404142 1242 Jneischen illocon 18 minutes
    The official Never Summer thread - 23567 186 JpBergeron Supra 26 minutes
    WTB Uninc - 23 61 sdf91 Howdy 39 minutes
    Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23148149150 4484 HLC123 Wes Bourne 40 minutes
    The Official 2015 thread - 23107108109 3244 whoisminishred nitro909 40 minutes
    The UK Thread - 23121314 410 big_matt blakspark 1 hour
    FS: Fish, Un Inc 156 and Un Inc EST 8 Jneischen captmuff 2 hours
    Japan Pow - 238910 293 Supra Lomax 4 hours
    JP Auclair and Andreas Fansson killed in avalanche. 3 thelumpya2 Wes Bourne 5 hours
    The Real World - Vermont 18 goggles Allen504tke 6 hours