Ye Olde Skateboarding Thread

(1798 posts) (157 voices)
take me to the bottom
  1. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

just went actual skating for the first time since i was like 12. (8 years). skateboarding is way to hard. might try to get really dedicated to it for the next few months but we will see how long it lasts.

if anyone has any old wheels laying around that dont have flatspots that theyd sell for cheap that would be rad. i got my current set up from my friend and the wheels are like squares.

2. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

skated for about 20 at the park this afternoon with rainery who just got back in town, then went on a short cruiser route. later we went downtown and added haden, and had ourselves a cruiser session. felt like i was skating pretty well, and had a great time. stoked on my big DGK cruiser.

3. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

picked up one of the new habitat manimal series with P2.. anyone skated a p2 deck yet? seems like the pros are backing it. either way, an animal with a flannel, wayfarers, and a cuffed beanie? hipstagraphic.

looks like it also has a slight rocker through the wheelbase. real is doing something similar with R1 or whatever it's called, claiming it to change the feel and pop of the deck via its center of gravity or something.

4. dontsleep

dontsleep

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Attack me if you dare, I will crush you!

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Anyone post this?

5. mmmoves

mmmoves

Loungin Since Mar '11
    <<<cosmic slop>>>

spenser said: picked up one of the new habitat manimal series with P2.. anyone skated a p2 deck yet?

Yup, a Getz, and I broke it within two weeks of having it. Not saying I wouldn't get another, though, because it was a bit of a big ollie to flat and a somewhat awry landing. I'm not sure if the tech works any differently tbh. I have a Zero Thomas deck with it right now and I've had a lot of fun with it (shrug). Let me know if you notice any difference...  

6. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

the board felt more crisp and slightly stiffer. the pop did feel better.. all other factors were the same. it's not that i can ollie higher than before, but it feels slightly nicer, doing everything like usual.

one of their selling points is that they shouldn't break as much.. that's what most of the pros endorsing it are saying, and the flip team manager was talking about how all his guys were riding them at maloof, and he didn't have to get a single replacement board for any of them, while others with regular decks were breaking multiples when the session was heating up. it seems like the only non-standard tech to be adopted by actual pro skaters, whereas everything else has come and gone pretty quickly. p2 has been around for a couple years now and a bunch more companies are bringing it in. personally i'm gonna say i back it as of now, just cause it does make the board feel "better" to me, so far. we'll see as i skate it more..  

7. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

also, the newish shake junt chicken bone video is one of the best skate videos i've ever seen. every part is sick, editing is sick, music is sick, every trick and line is sick, and all the extra lifestyle/funny/random shit is sick. sick sick sick.

8. mmmoves

mmmoves

Loungin Since Mar '11
    <<<cosmic slop>>>

^^Dude, the Neen heelflip is such a joyous sight. That video rips.

9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ishidamoo

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Canada

Anyone got advice on how to set up a cruiser deck?

10. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

what do you mean exactly? parts and sizes?

any board around the size of a zigzagger (the big one, not the small zingers) is good. a lot of companies make them. they're usually around 8.5" at the widest point but i'm skating a 9" DGK cruiser at the moment. i've had some from real, manik, krooked, and others.

for trucks you'll either need 8" or 8.25". whatever matches the board width best for you. they should be highs as well, and i use 1/4" risers. pretty mellow, but it gives you the clearance you need per wheel size.

for wheels, that's preference, but i've found i really like 62mm and 78a for the durometer. small enough to not be heavy, but large enough to roll fast through street conditions. there are also smaller ones, closer to regular size (zipzinger wheels, ricta clouds, etc) in which case you don't really need risers.

if you want a small cruiser like a zipzinger, those decks are kinda mini, so you can use regular trucks and regular size cruiser wheels  

11. User has not uploaded an avatar

ishidamoo

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Canada

Yeah I meant parts and sizes, I'm getting some thunder 149ers but i need help picking the deck and wheels. zig zagger and krookokonda look pretty rad

12. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

really any of those cruisers from reputable skate companies are gonna be fine. krooked is definitely a good pick.

ricta and krooked both do plenty of cruiser wheels. spitfire has a few as well and i'm sure it's not hard to find others. i have satori rasta cruisers right now and like them a lot. size is up to you but i would suggest high 50s to low 60s. for the durometer, most of them are going to be 78a-82a

13. User has not uploaded an avatar

ishidamoo

Loungin Since Oct '11
    Canada

Sweet, thanks man!

14. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

glad to be of any assistance. enjoy... cruisers are pretty much the reason i still skate and i love 'em.

15. jza

jza

Loungin Since Aug '09
    truro NS

everyones thoughts on Justin Bieber being signed today by DGK...

16. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

did anybody read the DGK interview in transworld a couple months back? Bieber doesn't seem like such a surprise after reading it IMO

17. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

I figured that was a joke...

18. mjpoltorak

mjpoltorak

Loungin Since Sep '09

In return, my partnering up with DGK will greatly increase my legitimacy in the skate world. Besides singing and dancing, and performing live, and recording albums, and buying clothes, skateboarding is definitely the biggest thing in my life, and I'd really like to expand my fanbase past the predominantly pre-teen female demographic it currently occupies."

skateboarding is fucked. what is stevie williams doing?

19. rlang

rlang

Loungin Since Sep '09

It's a joke.  

20. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

super fun cruiser session tonight. we skated for 3-4 hours downtown, mostly in the dark. cruised around, bombed hills, curb grinds, manny pad fun, so on and so forth. got some footage and will put together a little edit later.

21. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

22. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

spenser said:

Kinda bummed I could not go. Sick ender!

23. mmmoves

mmmoves

Loungin Since Mar '11
    <<<cosmic slop>>>

24. asianstick

asianstick

Loungin Since Mar '11
    Chicago

what is stevie williams doing?

He's gonna make stupid amounts of money. DGK is basically just a huge marketing machine right?

I just took my nephew to a DGK expo and Stevie didn't land a trick. He tried landing a 360 flip on the quarter pipe about 30 times. Dean was the only dude that seemed like he was even pushing it.

The local rats landed more bolts than DGK.

25. mjpoltorak

mjpoltorak

Loungin Since Sep '09

mmmoves said: Yes.
    http://www.vice.com/epicly-later-d/eric-koston-trailer

gonna be so good.

happy go skate day. pushed around town for a little before work. sooooo hot.

26. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    That's one small step for sloths, one giant leap for slothkind

Jeff Grosso says it the best...

27. mmmoves

mmmoves

Loungin Since Mar '11
    <<<cosmic slop>>>

Haha ^^^, one of my first real boards was a Schmitt Stix Jeff Grosso... the one with the rag doll and blocks.

28. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10
    That City With A Salt Lake

spenser said:

ha, rad video!

29. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

made a flyer for contests this summer.. gonna add sponsor logos for each one when we line those up. photo by mark rainery

30. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyocolo

i went to the park in laramie (about a 10 minute skate from campus) and i forgot how fun it was. so much flow! concrete parks really are the best

I've been so stoked on skating lately. this is the first year I've actually ventured out and gone to some pretty unique spots around town and the city. reminds me that I'm gonna miss being able to skate 365 days a year down here in texas :/

but then i remember how much i'll be riding and not care as much about skating this season!  

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
frequency The Snowboarder's Journal | Asymbol Offer | 14/15 - 2 40 Wibby Lionel Hutz 23 minutes
Powzer Board Quiver - 23545556 1657 shralp Lionel Hutz 26 minutes
FS- 13 Capita Outdoor 158 $120 5 gunslinger gunslinger 43 minutes
FS Gnu Forest Bailey space case 153 3 rgrwilco gunslinger 44 minutes
Official Union Binding Parts & Pieces Trading Thread - 23838485 2523 JP LilTeichMonster 1 hour
FS:161 K2 Ultra Dream and 157 Ride DH 7 tboylen tboylen 2 hours
teh Official NHL 2015 thread. - 2 34 F18 F18 4 hours
2013 Travis Rice HP 164.5 Splitboard 6 seriouscat Supra 5 hours
Japan Pow - 2391011 318 Supra Supra 6 hours
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23227228229 6857 JungleLarry pastaboy 7 hours