Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10
    That City With A Salt Lake

Video Camera Decision - ?   

I'm looking to buy a dedicated VIDEO camera to catch some snow footage now and then this season. I'm looking to stay around the affordable price range of $150-$250ish. I want it to be a reasonable sturdy size too to be able to chill in the coat pocket and able to survive a hit on the snow. I know everyone loves the GoPro but I really doubt I would ever do any helmet/pole cam action, I just want one to hold, but I sure do love the footage it puts out. Has anyone ever just held it to shoot footage and been extremely pleased? I love the fisheye type view too.

Input?

Edit: Spenser, you shoot some sexy footage, what are you using?

Sorry if there has been a thread like this before, I dunt search tew well.

2. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10

Boing.

3. District

District

Loungin Since Aug '09
    hi

i have a question of my own.

fisheye or wideangle?

4. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i use powershots. any canon digital elph will take great video. thats what ive used for all my footage ever, except the obvious gogglecam shots. i also do mild color correction so it looks slightly better because of that sometimes. but the general quality and audio is awesome for a pocket cam thats incredibly easy to use.

you can get magnetic lenses for them too. i have a bunch of.2x fisheye stuff here and there and before that i was using a .45x wide angle.  

5. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10

Sorry I don't know much about fisheye vs wideangle, but I guess just something for quality riding footage that has that cool "look" [/ignorance].

Spenser how much was your camera?    

6. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

district said:  i have a question of my own.
    fisheye or wideangle?

if youre just using it as a camera for general filming and youre not serious, id just skip the inbetween and go fisheye. if you know you want every option for any shot, then get both. but if you only get one, fisheye.

7. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

pentagram said:  Sorry I don't know much about fisheye vs wideangle, but I guess just something for quality riding footage that has that cool "look" [/ignorance].
    Spenser how much was your camera?  

the sd1200 retails at 180 i think. the sd1300 (slightly newer?) is also 180, but you can find them easily for around 140 last time i looked. if youre on a mac or can edit in MOV (quicktime) files, then you could step it up to a higher end ELPH but that doesnt really matter for video. there are some that do HD but its not the same quality or feel of video and you get more shake i think. would be fine if youre doing really steady shots though.

8. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10

How does it hold up with water?  Say dealing with wet gloves, etc.  And also, does it do steady video shots easily?

9. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

if you have watched my videos then you can tell. it captures motion pretty well. with the HD ones i feel like the hd shots have some shake within the camera frame, separate from the camera its self shaking. with the SD shots that doesnt happen. the steadiness is all up to the filmer, so if you have a steady hand then the shots will be steady.

also, when you edit videos and save the file, make sure to keep all the aspects of quality as close to the original file as possible. i ususally save with all the same numbers (bitrate, etc) but in WMV instead of AVI. as far as i understand, avi is sort of like motion BMP/PNG whereas WMV is motion JPG. smaller file size for sure and you dont really lose any noticeable quality if you save it as high as you can.

if you watch my full 2010 video you will get a good idea of what theyre capable of. i have fisheye shots, fully zoomed out shots without the fisheye, zoomed in shots, followcams while riding, etc, in all kinds of lighting.

10. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

oh and with water, obviously keep it as dry as possible, but i think i remember them having a water/shock proof ELPH out now?

i have no issues using it while snowing or with gloves, its okay to get a few drops and stuff on the outside as long as you dont store it when its moist, just wipe it off. none of mine have started to act weird over the course of their life but i dont expect them to. a few flakes doesnt hurt.

hell, i even dropped one in the snow on accident cause i forgot to close my pocket, realized it was gone when i got to the bottom.. and then randomly a week later i got a call from a friend cause his friend found a camera and he heard i lost mine.. his friend ran over it in the pow after it had been sitting there for a few days and it still worked perfectly.

11. BVoZ

BVoZ

Loungin Since Apr '10
    west side

kodak playsport.

12. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10

Spenser would you mind linking me to the right camera for purchase/quality? I'm a little confused with all these different numbers in front of the name. And also a link to a quality fish eye lens.

(Sorry electronics dumbass here)

13. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

any of the canon ELPH powershots. the cheapest ones are the sd1200 and 1300 i think. they shoot in AVI format which is good for windows. if you have a mac, and ELPH will do.

if its just for video, any is fine. they all shoot the same video as far as i know, besides having an HD option in some models.

and last time i looked for a fisheye i couldnt find one for the point and shoot cameras.. ill have to do some searching later

14. Pentagram

Pentagram

Loungin Since Sep '10

Thanks for the input spens, this is my xmas gift to myself.  

15. snowman

snowman

Loungin Since Oct '09

http://www.gizmag.com/optrix-xd-sport-iphone-video-case/23389/

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2015 thread - 23118119120 3575 whoisminishred gerry. 17 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23101112 345 awd1105 Howdy 19 minutes
FS: 2013 Burton Genesis Reflex (M) and Volcom Gore Ergo pants (L) 1 esthete esthete 38 minutes
Burton Boot Machines... the official? - 23131415 438 Spenser hktrdr 59 minutes
On-snow tricks 16 Duhg Howdy 1 hour
Powzer Board Quiver - 23565758 1720 shralp MikeHoncho 3 hours
F-U Cancer - 234 98 shralp payaso 3 hours
Snowboard bags - 2 34 Daikonran illocon 3 hours
Edumacashon - 239899100 2994 red baron illocon 4 hours
Post Your Quiver Thread - 23939495 2830 shralp illocon 4 hours