The big "sizing down on rocker boards" Debate

(57 posts) (23 voices)
  • Started 3 years ago by Supra
  • Latest reply from 89c51
  • poll: Rocker board sizing....
    Man up and size up : (6 votes)
    11 %
    same as your regular length : (36 votes)
    67 %
    size down : (10 votes)
    19 %
    witty small mammal choice : (2 votes)
    4 %

Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

So, I've been hearing people say size down, others (mainly on this forum) saying keep your regular length, and others saying go longer. Let's have it out!

I normally ride a 162-164 cambered board all round and this year I've gone with a 2010 160 lib lando, so I've sized down but I think I'll still be fine in the pow. Last winter at a demo day, I rode a 155 ELfv with no float problems in deep pow. A 54 joystick was fine too.

2. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

IMO, if you're riding a longer board cambered (157+) it seems most people are happy downsizing. If you're riding a shorter cambered board, most are keeping it the same or even a hair longer for better bite on landings.

Cambered, I rode a 52/53 for park/everything. Reverse, I've been in the 52-54 area. Also, less than 50 but only for jibs and smaller jumps. Depends on what you're doing and the different types of rev. camber.

3. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

heres my take on it. lets say you ride board X in a cambered version and now there is the same exact board in a rocker version.

powder - the rockered version floats easier and more naturally, and personally i find them to be kinda bouncy with turns.. fun bouncy. if you size down, maybe you get the same float as your longer cambered board, but in a shorter, smaller, less stable package. why is that good?

groomers - the rockered version already rides looser and easier on groomers. if you size down, its only going to feel looser and smaller, and again, less stable. why is that good?

the only scenario i see making sense is if you were sizing UP for pow with cambered boards from your normal size. so maybe with rocker, you can come back down toward your normal size, and get the float you were looking for by sizing up, but without sizing up.

in general i say stick with your normal size. rocker isnt there to allow you to change sizes, its there to be a different ride.

4. ModernSavage

ModernSavage

Loungin Since Oct '10
    Cally

groomers - the rockered version already rides looser and easier on groomers. if you size down, its only going to feel looser and smaller, and again, less stable. why is that good?
    <<Thats my question with rockered boards in general---looser, easier, more unstable...why bother? I can see if you cant ride in the first place, but I just dont get if you can properly execute a turn why you want/need rocker?>>

5. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

no one needs it. some people just like the feel. and im sure for plenty of people its because its "easier" and goes with their level of riding better or something. i dunno.

personally when i first started riding rocker, it was on a hero, which is definitely softer than i usually prefer, but it was fun. the next one i got was stiffer.. and the next one stiffer.. and the next one stiffer still, with camber in the profile as well. im finding my perfect blend of the two, but mainly i like the feel in natural snow more than camber, in general, and i like the more playful feel on groomers even when its a more aggressive board like a phoenix or something.

its all preference. i take it you like camber.. and thats rad. as long as you like what you ride, then... thats all that matters. but i will say that it definitely seems like a ton of people seem to think they HAVE to have some sort of rocker in their board, like its mandatory.

6. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

I say man up and size up and you can do it with this:

200 baby  

7. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

What spenser said.

8. minimal

minimal

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Vancouver BC

jdgang said:  I say man up and size up and you can do it with this:
    200 baby  

My first board ever was a Rad Air. Not a Tanker mind you, but for the life of me I can figure out what board it was. It was from 94/95, gold metallic topsheet and a red base.  I wish I still had that thing for nostalgia's sake.  

9. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

spenser said: groomers - the rockered version already rides looser and easier on groomers. if you size down, its only going to feel looser and smaller, and again, less stable. why is that good?

wait wait wait just a minute...did you just say EASIER?!?

10. jlesniakphoto

jlesniakphoto

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Denver

modernsavage said:  groomers - the rockered version already rides looser and easier on groomers. if you size down, its only going to feel looser and smaller, and again, less stable. why is that good?
    <<Thats my question with rockered boards in general---looser, easier, more unstable...why bother? I can see if you cant ride in the first place, but I just dont get if you can properly execute a turn why you want/need rocker?>>

Have you ever ridden a rockered board? This post rings of narrow-mindedness and assumes that people who ride rockered boards "can't ride in the first place."

The point to riding a board with rocker is to get a different feel. Yes, that means that it won't behave like a cambered board and it won't do certain things as well. However, it will excel at different aspects of riding.

The thing I love about riding different boards (ie different size, shape, flex and camber profile) is that they change the way you ride because each board behaves differently.

This is something I always loved about surfing. I never looked at a longboard and said "oh that doesn't ride like my potato chip board so it's for people who don't know how to ride. Why bother? There's a lot you can learn from riding different boards and I personally feel that if you aren't branching out then you are limiting your own riding and understanding of the "sport."

Oh, and btw, I ride both rockered and cambered boards.

11. burtontester

burtontester

Loungin Since Jan '10

I understand sizing down on a fish, but sizing down because of the bottom contour of your board sounds silly. Fail.

12. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Sizing down because of "the contour of your board" does sound silly. You fail.

Sizing down because the contact points are between/under your feet and not at the nose/tail is not silly. Your stance is your stance. If you dont need long nose/tail, why have it? Win.

Some people size up on rockered decks for landings, not because the contact points are different or further out (still between your feet or under them) but because having a longer nose/tail helps stabilize you when landing off center. You're relying more on the entire nose/tail vs just the contact points on a cambered board.

Two totally different concepts. Trying to rationalize rocker based on cambered methodology is a little pointless.      

13. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Edit: post fail.

14. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

In '09 I rode a cambered Capita Indoor 56
    In '10 I rode a Flat Kick Capita Indoor 56

Both were awesome.

15. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

In '09 you realized you didnt know how to turn and got an FK didnt you? ;)

16. jlesniakphoto

jlesniakphoto

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Denver

bad63lac said:  

Burn!

17. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

bad63lac said:  

What's a turn? I just slip slid around like a dodo bird.

18. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

I didn't size down at all going from camber to rocker.

08 Uninc 158----->10 Joystick 57

19. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

i went from a 58 uninc to a 54 joystick but i was wanting a smaller board anyway. was not motivated by profile

20. minimal

minimal

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Vancouver BC

funinc158 said: I didn't size down at all going from camber to rocker.

Lies.

157 < 158

Duh.

21. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

contra said:  i went from a 58 uninc to a 54 joystick but i was wanting a smaller board anyway. was not motivated by profile

similar situation, 160 outdoor living to 156 horrorscope, and now down to 151 midlife.

22. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

minimal said:

funinc158 said: I didn't size down at all going from camber to rocker.

Lies.
    157 < 158
    Duh.

Its an arrow pointing that I went from having a 158 to a 157. I still ride my Uninc more. Its the best board EVAR!!!

23. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

jlesniakphoto said:

bad63lac said:  

Burn!

Haha... he knows it was more of a zing for post #4 and not directed at him. Everyone loves them some shralp-ster.

24. kbasa

kbasa

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CB

I want to try a 158 ELFV. I like the 155 i own, but I could see the 158 replacing my 157 uninc.

25. Parker

Parker

$$$
    Loungin Since Sep '09
    MOD

There is no debate. You ride the same size you would a camber board. Unless we are talking about a 165+ pow stick. The 90s are over. You can ride a RC board that floats better in a shorter size.

26. truckeebread

truckeebread

Loungin Since Oct '09
    PDX to Lake Tahoe

my 55 hero rides much better (IMO) on powder than my 58 unInc's ever did. no questions asked, night and day difference.

27. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

the size down thing comes from libtech and to a lesser degree Burton

lib was first on the market with RC boards and only offered certain sizes, so they naturally said you can size down to get the plus 158 market to buy

there is no logical reason to size down for a rockered board unless you feel like you are riding a longer board than you want because of pow performance. you could size down a bit and get the shorter board you want and still be ok in pow

28. mr mouse

mr mouse

Loungin Since Apr '10

not really about sizing down but one thing that stands out for me is that you can more succesfully ride your shorter RC jib board in pow, naturally not really deep pow or anything but you would previously pretty much sink on let's say 151 camber out there, not that that's really primary intention of such board but adds abit versality to it. I mean some people prefer short play around board for "one quivver weapon" and that at least slightly expands it's range.

29. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

I know why the they marketed the Smaller Size...less materials=more money...its cheaper to make a shorter board but charge more for all the "new tech"!!!! Case solve!. I have yet to ride a rocker board but I would be willing to try, as for riding a shorter board well in the imortal word of PB/JN you carve you carve you carve and to me more edge contact=>better carving!!

30. burtontester

burtontester

Loungin Since Jan '10

your argument is weak.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 564 Spenser tekniq33 5 minutes
Nico interview 30 drjcv Supra 8 minutes
Official Bicycle Thread - 23127128129 3867 red baron shinobi 35 minutes
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23862863864 25912 TahoeChappy shinobi 44 minutes
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23556557558 16729 Dr. Dre shinobi 51 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 176 awd1105 Supra 2 hours
Cross Country Travel 5 HIHaole JLD 2 hours
WTB: Channel inserts + hardware 5 notmikebuckley NatasKaput 2 hours
WILL SIZE 11 NIKE BOOTS FIT IN SIZE MEDIUM EST BINDINGS????? CIRCLE YES OR NO!!! 19 passing gas notmikebuckley 3 hours
hey ashy! 3 goggles ashy larry 4 hours