• Latest reply from jdgang
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

Official Bicycle Thread   

enn-zed said: Yeah, I won't be getting those wheels. A friend is selling one, pretty decent build and it's about 10lb lighter than my current bike so much more suited to the up, up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down, down type riding that UT has to offer.

are you keeping the current bike?

this little man will own one helluva bike quiver..

2. illocon

illocon

Loungin Since May '11
    Liverpool

Official Bicycle Thread   

shinobi said: first time actually watching tour de france.
    some of the finishes are crazy... especially after these guys have already ridden 150-200km throughout the day.

It is such a fantastic event.

Unfortunately, L'Equipe and a number of other French publications are already making insinuations about the performance of Wiggins.

Bear in mind that this is someone who has been tested for the past 12 years on track and on the road, a multiple Olympic Champion, finished 4th in the Tour in 2009, took a podium at the Vuelta and won a number of classics this year, on the best funded road and track team that there may ever have been.

3. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Official Bicycle Thread   

They all dope

4. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

contra said:  They ALL dope

5. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

stuuuuuuu89 said:

enn-zed said:

stuuuuuuu89 said:  Is it dumb to want a single speed road bike with disc brakes?

Maybe not. Depends on what you 'need' disc brakes for. All the roadies seem to do fine with v-brakes.

Mostly aesthetics but also for the slippery streets of Seattle.
    I'm still trying to find road frames with disc mounts. Any suggestions?

You want disc brakes for aesthetics? Kind of the exact opposite of aesthetically pleasing.

In any case, you wont find road bikes with them. You will find some "cyclocross" bikes with them (they look like a road bike but are used for road and very mild trail/offroad).      

6. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

f18 said:

enn-zed said: Yeah, I won't be getting those wheels. A friend is selling one, pretty decent build and it's about 10lb lighter than my current bike so much more suited to the up, up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down, down type riding that UT has to offer.

are you keeping the current bike?
    this little man will own one helluva bike quiver..

Yeah, keeping the current bike. So I'll have:
    8" (close enough) Descender of Awesome that can climb a little bit
    5" All-Rounder Ripper
    Rigid city drunk transporter.

7. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

awesome toyz.

8. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

Forgot one - 4" 'good for nothing even when fully rigid'...

9. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

bad63lac said:

stuuuuuuu89 said:

enn-zed said:

stuuuuuuu89 said:  Is it dumb to want a single speed road bike with disc brakes?

Maybe not. Depends on what you 'need' disc brakes for. All the roadies seem to do fine with v-brakes.

You want disc brakes for aesthetics? Kind of the exact opposite of aesthetically pleasing.
    In any case, you wont find road bikes with them. You will find some "cyclocross" bikes with them (they look like a road bike but are used for road and very mild trail/offroad).      

Check out the new 2013 Spec Road bikes the roubaix now has a disk version. They are coming!!!

10. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

Official Bicycle Thread   

a singlespeed cyclocross bike sounds kind of fun, i like the look of this one:

11. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09
    EL, Michigan -> Tahoe -> Seattle

Official Bicycle Thread   

^I really like that Civilian bike!

12. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

Official Bicycle Thread   

word, on sale right now, too. was $1299, now $786.

13. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

Official Bicycle Thread   

behold the power of electrical tape!!! This would've been a ride killer (misty flip to rock), snapped the brake mount. But was able to complete our 3 hour ride thru the hills of Wissahickon....even had a bit of front brake power to boot.

14. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

jdgang said:

bad63lac said:

stuuuuuuu89 said:

enn-zed said:

Check out the new 2013 Spec Road bikes the roubaix now has a disk version. They are coming!!!

Well, my comment was accurate until yesterday. :P

In seriousness, I really dont get it. I'm definitely a fan of disc brakes on mountain bikes. Having raced DH competitively for a few years I saw the need and the transition from rim brakes was welcome. Not only was the braking power warranted, you needed it for muddy conditions.

Now road bikes, I just dont get. Even at top speeds, flying down hill, I have never felt rim brakes to be lacking.

Anyone who has used disc brakes know that they definitely require "tinkering". As discussed a few pages back, adjusting your caliper even a hairwidth can be the difference between rotor rub and not.

I'm not quite sure what Specialized is thinking saying its the future. Yeah maybe if other brands hop on the train because they dont want to be seen as NOT offering something the competition has. The main reason I think they're off their rocker is - think about professional road bike racers. Are they really going to adapt? And if not, will other people?

Think about wheel swaps mid race. There's no way you can swap in a new wheel and have the rotor on that wheel be perfectly aligned with your caliper without re-adjusting. It just doesnt happen. Maybe if you set up your caliper a little more open, requiring greater pull (but then what benefit in braking does the disc setup get you?). For that reason alone, I dont see this as the future on road bikes.

15. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

There are dozens of road bike companies releasing disc brake frames now.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with the tinkering thing. Swapping a disc wheel vs a rim brake wheel is requires one less step. When you have a professional level race mechanic on your side....there will be no tinkering necessary.

I fully believe disc brakes on road bikes are the future, they perform more consistently in all conditions, are more powerful, have better modulation, produce less wear and tear on your equipment. Hub brakes worked fine on motorcycles for years, but you don't see those anymore.

The only reasons this will be slow to catch on is because the road geek mafia A) refuse to change and B) perceive anything that adds weight as bad, no matter the performance benefit.

16. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

Please list the "dozens of companies". Cyclocross bikes excluded.

Regarding the tinkering... Remove a disc brake wheel and replace it with another, or replace the same brand of rotor on the same wheel and remount the wheel. Guaranteed you will need to tinker with the caliper.  

17. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

Since I have really never had a road bike I really cant comment on the why, but from a marketing standpoint its new and shiny, and after the trickle down effect they could sell it to new riders as a better way to stop since they dont know any better. As a hopefully new road rider but a current mtb rider, I would put off my purchase if a lower (cheaper) model was available with disk brakes, since I know and trust my mtb ones, but since this is higher end and I know that rim brakes are fine I will not.

18. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

I can go through later and find links to many (perhaps dozens was an exaggeration) of the companies offering disc brake equipped bikes. Specialized was mentioned already and off the top of my head I know of Colnago and and Volagi. In addition Shimano and Formula are making road specific brakes this year as well.

Those three companies alone mean that pretty much every major company is looking at it.

Johan Bruyneel and many others said last year after all those horrible wrecks in the Tour that it's time to start considering disc's because of their superior performance. The weight thing will never be an issue for those guys either as most of them have to actually add weights to their bikes as they're lighter than what the UCI will allow.

Disc's are coming. Make no mistake. I doubt rim brakes will die out for road bikes like they have for mountain bikes but I do believe that you will start seeing disc's on the pro's bikes as soon as the UCI allows it....they just did last year for Cyclocross so it's going to happen soon for the Roadies too.  

19. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

Official Bicycle Thread   

dudes cruise in the homeland.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

20. illocon

illocon

Loungin Since May '11
    Liverpool

Official Bicycle Thread   

Regarding disc brakes, how quick can you remove a rear wheel with traditional pad breaks over one with a disc and a caliper? I imagine the speed for a wheel change will be in the forefront of most pro-teams mind.

Regarding the Tour, some eejit lashed 30+ carpet tacks over the summit of a climb causing Cadel 'Cuddles' Evans to puncture three times, Steve Cummins to puncture once, Nicolas Roche and Maxime Monfort to puncture and another 26 riders to puncture with one being flung over the bars and to break their collar bone.

21. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

illocon said: Regarding disc brakes, how quick can you remove a rear wheel with traditional pad breaks over one with a disc and a caliper? I imagine the speed for a wheel change will be in the forefront of most pro-teams mind.

Regarding the Tour, some eejit lashed 30+ carpet tacks over the summit of a climb causing Cadel 'Cuddles' Evans to puncture three times, Steve Cummins to puncture once, Nicolas Roche and Maxime Monfort to puncture and another 26 riders to puncture with one being flung over the bars and to break their collar bone.

I'd say the removal speed is sixes - it's probably quicker for removal by a tiny amount, but putting back in you have to make sure the disc slides in between the pads cleanly.

As for the tacker, that is fucking despicable. I hope they find him and shove a seatpost up his arse.

22. jza

jza

Loungin Since Aug '09
    truro NS

Official Bicycle Thread   

got a pair of SPY Matthew Busche Screws given to me tonight. Cant wait to try them out. They are a sick price, and the replacement lenses(20-30) make them a lot more attractive (to me at least) than Oakley

23. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

Rode some proper tech stuff today, versus the flowy jumpy stuff I've been on for a while. My hands are brutalised but it was good to get back to riding steep shit and hammering through boulders. Utah has a lot of variety.

24. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

Rode my second XC race yesterday. Hot and humid even at 9 am start time. I knew the course really well since it one of my home parks. Knew exactly where to jump off and run, knew where i could really pedal hard. Well about half way through came to a really easy tech section that I have cleared mult times, but didnt after that I just could find the energy. 17th out of 23. really bummed

25. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11
    the orient♨↔§formerly peh

Official Bicycle Thread   

new bike arriving to shop this week. ultra-stoked.

26. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

We may see another ELer joining this thread soon, as a member of the "fuck yeah lift accessed bike parks!" club. I won't spill the beans any further.

27. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

Ho.

Lee.

Shhiiiiiiit:

28. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

This guy was also racing at the race I was at this past weekend.

29. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

Official Bicycle Thread   

enn-zed said: We may see another ELer joining this thread soon, as a member of the "fuck yeah lift accessed bike parks!" club. I won't spill the beans any further.

ha!!
    it was fucking ridiculously fun, like little kid giggling the whole way down kinda fun..............so the search for a DH bike begins

30. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

these things are pricy motherfucking toyz..
    Stay Safe fellas.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2015 thread - 23114115116 3462 whoisminishred buggravy 12 seconds
FS: Burton [ak] Jackets & Pants - 2 37 MikeHoncho MikeHoncho 2 minutes
Post Your Quiver Thread - 23929394 2815 shralp bennytree 16 minutes
Thinking of getting a new shred stick this season. 10 KDUB82 Spenser 50 minutes
The Official 2016 Thread - 2345 125 whoisminishred dood 1 hour
FS:Burton winged EST Malavita Black, Union box of stuff, Burton Namedropper 158 1 tester tester 1 hour
fritos anyone? 9 goggles Lionel Hutz 1 hour
The Official 2015 Captains Log - 234 100 LilTeichMonster octopus 1 hour
Japan Pow - 23101112 333 Supra tp1_kenobi 1 hour
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 2391011 318 awd1105 snowboarder 1 hour