• Latest reply from jdgang
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

Race my first XC race on sunday Cat3 7 miles climbed about 700 feet total. really fun placed 23 out of 33 with a time of 49:34. Wow didnt know what to expect other then thinking to myself just finish. But as I was going up the first climb I started to pass people and that made me push even harder. I have my second race in july cant wait.

2. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

Official Bicycle Thread   

awesome dude!

3. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

Congrats dude! Yeah, there is nothing like a race to make you push your limits further than you thought you could. I think I progressed more in a single race run than I have in a full day of riding.

4. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Official Bicycle Thread   

I need some mechainical advice.

My hydraulic disc brakes do not stop me at all. I can pull the lever all the way into the grip but it just squeaks a little and rubs the rotor. How can I fix this?

The second problem is that the brakes always rub at one point throughout it's rotation. I believe this is due to the wheel not being true though.

5. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

Your wheel being out of true shouldn't affect your disk brakes at all. Sometimes you just need to re align the caliper. As for your front brake it's hard tellin' not seein' but you could either have pads that are extremely worn or air in you brake line (which could be indicative of leaks or a bad master or wheel cylinder). You can find the procedure to bleed your brakes at the manufacturers website and while you might need some specialized tools (usually their simple, cheap and very useful to have) its really not hard to do yourself. Take a look at the pads first though. To realign your caliper just loosen the two caliper screws so the caliper can move a bit. Grab a good, hard handful of brake and tighten the caliper screws. That's it. If it still rubs at the same point, you might have a tweaked rotor.

6. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Official Bicycle Thread   

I tried realigning, that didn't seem to work. The bike is brand new and I have only ridden it once so it shoudln't be anything related to wear.

7. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

take it back to the shop then. The rubbing rotor is probably just a break-in thing and will go away after a few miles. The hydro brake lever going to the bar is a bit more of a problem....unless you've got brakes with adjustable engagement point, then it might just be a simple lever adjustment.

8. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

Like Paul said, your lever should not be going to the bar. More then likely doing the re-bleed will fix your problem.

Regarding the rub, your rotor may be slightly bent and at one point of the rotation it rubs the pad. Some rotors just arent perfectly flat (manufacturing issue not that they got bent somehow). Usually though, adjusting the positioning of the caliper will solve this.

Try loosening the bolts holding the caliper just a bit so the caliper is still snug, yet you can move it slightly with your hand. Spin the wheel a bit, pull the lever a few times at various points of the rotation and check it. You can usually find a happy medium where it doesnt rub anymore and its usually a hair's width of a difference. Just be sure the caliper bolts are loose enough so that when you pull the lever tightly, the caliper can move on the mount and adjust itself but yet not loose enough that when you let go of the lever, the caliper moves on its own.

9. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

Well, here is a bit of the footage from my day at Northstar on Sunday. A "day" isn't quite right as we only had like an hour and a half. First day on back on the big bike in like 4 years though.....which shows in that it's pretty slow and I didn't really go for it on any of the jumps (only got to ride each trail once). Still fun times though. Couldn't be bothered to stick any music on the clip, sorry.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

10. Ampersand

Ampersand

Loungin Since Aug '09
    WI

Official Bicycle Thread   

Got back on the bike after two weeks off. The hiatus was due to a bent rotor and busted lever and the bike shop ordering everything except the right parts.

Anyway, got back after it this past weekend. I did 16 miles on Saturday and 23 on Sunday. That Sunday ride killed me. The new equipment made me wonder if my rotor wasn't a little jacked up before I made the move for the replacement. I felt like I was flying around the trails this weekend.

Felt good man.

11. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09
    EL, Michigan -> Tahoe -> Seattle

Official Bicycle Thread   

Anyone ever ship a bike before?

12. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11
    the orient♨↔§formerly peh

Official Bicycle Thread   

stuuuuuuu89 said:  Anyone ever ship a bike before?

Yep. Racers do it all the time.

They have boxes (or u van buy a travel bag or case)

They off the bars seat pedals and wheels. Bubble wrap what they need too.

Everything fits nicely.

My shop packs for 10bucks when i travel.

13. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Official Bicycle Thread   

I brought my bike home from Canada to Europe (even with a layover in Iceland).
    As shinobi said, bike shops should box it up for 10-15 bucks and you're good to go!

14. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11

Official Bicycle Thread   

saw your PM eva. be patient grasshopper :-)

here's my bike being packed... i'd say the box is approx. 3ft x 2ft.

be careful of your airline policy. i got hit with an additional $360 charge last time.

15. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    That's one small step for sloths, one giant leap for slothkind

Official Bicycle Thread   

We tried to ship a bike via airline a few months ago. The size box that they'll ship for less than $50 is barely big enough for a kid's bike. Ridiculous. Anything bigger, like shinobi said above, you're dropping crazy $$$.

We ended up sending ours from PDX to Chicago on an Amtrack for about $25. Not a bad deal and you know where it is at all times.  

16. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Official Bicycle Thread   

Air Iceland was cheap, but the US airlines are crazy expensive. I got lucky.

17. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

I have heard that it can be cheaper to Fedex/UPS your bike to your destination as opposed to flying with it.

18. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11

Official Bicycle Thread   

gonna bike up this fixie frame this week and do a quick build while my road bike is being built/on order.

question... i understand the diff. between fixie & SS as described earlier, but can i do a single speed setup on a fixie frame?

19. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

Yes. A true fixie/track bike frame won't have frame mounts for brake lines, but that's really not a major issue as there are lots of options for attaching brake lines. Or you could set it up with a rear coaster brake hub.

I love when bike maintenance goes right. Simple task tonight - replace shifter cable & housing. Quick change, cables routed nicely and all tidied up. Nice to have an easy job every once in a while to make me feel like I know what I'm doing. Setting up my new tubeless tire tomorrow night so in 24 hours I might not be so happy :)  

20. shinobi

shinobi

Loungin Since May '11

Official Bicycle Thread   

thx EZ.

george rides a 29'er

21. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

enn-zed said: Yes. A true fixie/track bike frame won't have frame mounts for brake lines, but that's really not a major issue as there are lots of options for attaching brake lines. Or you could set it up with a rear coaster brake hub.

Looks like he may be able to choose forks with those frames he posted. That way you could pick one that's drilled for a front brake. My ss wasn't drilled for a rear brake, came with a carbon fork that was drilled which is all I really needed. Obviously you wouldn't want to ride ss w/o a brake. Hell, fixed w/o a brake seems stupid to me.

As far as setting up a ss/freewheel cog on a track frame, totally doable. Flipflop hubs allow you to have a cog on either side. You could try 2 different freewheel gearings or have one side fixed, one side ss.

I have a 48 tooth omnium crankset with an 18 tooth ss cog/17 tooth fixed flipflop cog. Depending where you live (hilly vs flat) you'll probably want to experiment with that ratio.

What kinda components are you looking at? Good luck with your build. I had a blast learning the little bit of wrenching needed.
    For more info, check out mike's bikes on youtube. Tons of great tutorials.

22. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

Anyone interested in some DH pads/helmet? Good condition. Free (you pay shipping).

661 knee/shin pads and elbows. Also I Giro helmet. I'll get sizes and pics if anyone's interested.

Stopped racing 7yrs ago and the stuff has been sitting for about 4yrs since I last had a big bike.

23. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

Official Bicycle Thread   

question for you dudes. Why would someone only want front brakes? Why sell a bike that only has these???

24. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Official Bicycle Thread   

Save weight?

25. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Official Bicycle Thread   

joka17wild said:  question for you dudes. Why would someone only want front brakes? Why sell a bike that only has these???

The whole front brake only thing should really only be done with fixed gear. It's because you dont need a rear brake if you're riding fixed.

Aesthetically, rear brakes do look 'ugly' (longer cable, etc) and many people who ride fixed and like the stripped down bike look, dont want the clunky rear brake and messy/long cable (if they use any brakes at all).

For fixed gear (since you are always pedaling) when you use your front brake, your legs are still moving with the momentum of the drivetrain but you are naturally slowing the rear wheel by resisting forward pedaling (slowing the momentum). This is why only a front brake is necessary.

For a SS, running a front brake only is definitely different feeling. You have to be more careful of your braking force since there is nothing naturally applying rearward braking force to the rear. All of your momentum in the rear is still trying to fly forward.

(translation - its a lot easier to endo on a front brake only SS vs fixed)        

26. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

I've only got a front brake on my ss and I was surprised at how well it brakes. Was worried about endoing. Haven't really experienced the going over the bars sensation at all. I feel like I ride more cautiously (more aware) now that I've only got one speed, one brake. But that's just me.

As far as fixies w/one brake, most/almost all track frames aren't drilled for a rear brake, hence only having a front fork brake. From my limited experience of building/riding a track frame, I'd say stay away from converting a road bike to a fixed/ss. Lots of headaches. Building off a track frame is relatively easy and definitely rewarding.

27. AZAspades

AZAspades

Loungin Since Jan '12
    SLC! <w>

Official Bicycle Thread   

Hey guys im selling my bike to downsize so i figured i would post it up in here! 2010 Transition Bottlerocket size small. Good components, Elixer CR brakes, Sram X-9 shifter and derailer, Fox 36 front fork, fox float on the back revolution 32 wheels and more. May consider selling just the frame for and wheels if anyone is interested PM me!

28. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

zapp-b said: I've only got a front brake on my ss and I was surprised at how well it brakes. Was worried about endoing. Haven't really experienced the going over the bars sensation at all. I feel like I ride more cautiously (more aware) now that I've only got one speed, one brake. But that's just me.
    As far as fixies w/one brake, most/almost all track frames aren't drilled for a rear brake, hence only having a front fork brake. From my limited experience of building/riding a track frame, I'd say stay away from converting a road bike to a fixed/ss. Lots of headaches. Building off a track frame is relatively easy and definitely rewarding.

Yeah horizontal dropouts are a necessity for fixed/SS

If I built one up, I think I'd go with a coaster hub brake in the back. Clean but practical in an emergency. My buddy has a sweet setup with a 2-speed coaster brake hub. You kick back a little to change between high & low gear, or jam it back completely to brake. Takes a bit of getting used to, but works well.

29. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   
  30. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Official Bicycle Thread   

I think I need to get my chain changed soon-ish. But then, I don't think I will take my nice bike to Holland with me, because there are too many fucking thieves.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Boards for ppl with ladybits 16 ShredBettyZoe woodhomie1996 56 seconds
New board to round out the quiver? 1 lytic lytic 1 minute
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23224225226 6764 JungleLarry tekniq33 4 minutes
Edumacashon - 23959697 2887 red baron zkurd 30 minutes
The North East Thread - 23717273 2171 Bdawg NugFlutie 1 hour
"Safety Meeting" - 23312313314 9418 Dave99 zkurd 2 hours
Doc, Ripitup - 2 34 geoffthemover niemoid 3 hours
SOCAL 6-6-6: It's the number of the Beast! Muhahaha - 23678 228 mcbain Alkasquawlik 3 hours
Powzer Board Quiver - 23505152 1536 shralp woodhomie1996 4 hours
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23323334 994 Jneischen Burkhart 5 hours