• Latest reply from jdgang
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Official Bicycle Thread   

Yeah, I don't need one. I live downtown so the metro/bus system gets me everywhere. I'd like to bike to work, but the lack of showers at work is the deciding factor. Need to do some more research on it for next summer, and I'd probably get a 'proper' bike if I did it a lot. Bixi is rad because on a stinkin' hot day I can just grab a bike and ride home rather than being stuck in the metro smelling other peoples armpits.

Money saved on car registration/maintenance/parking etc means I can just rent a car for shred or DH missions. There's enough of us that we can split the costs and it works out well. Plus you can thrash the cars through the snow and not care :) There's actually a communal car rental system similar to Bixi, but I did the maths on costs and it's not actually much cheaper if you're doing a longish drive to go shredding/biking. I am really impressed with Montreal's ability to embrace options other than the car for transport. Then again, if you've driven in this city you'd understand why!

2. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Bicycle Thread   

parker said:  nice bike....Im actually not stoked on the summer ending as I have gotten so into biking. I wanna ride from Portland to Tahoe and eventually coast to coast...west to east.

didn't whittlake do Portland to NYC or something like that??

3. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Official Bicycle Thread   

i enjoy riding my bike

4. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Bicycle Thread   

wheel set is gone...

just got a hit on a complete. That would be a nice chunk of change.

5. ttocsxela

ttocsxela

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Sacramento

Official Bicycle Thread   

I wanna hang out with Uncle Jesse for a day.

6. Uncle Jesse

Uncle Jesse

Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

No you don't. I'm extremely boring. It's Saturday night, I'm watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" alone, and I'll probably be in bed by 11pm.  

7. Parker

Parker

$$$
    Loungin Since Sep '09
    MOD

Official Bicycle Thread   

red-baron said:

parker said:  nice bike....Im actually not stoked on the summer ending as I have gotten so into biking. I wanna ride from Portland to Tahoe and eventually coast to coast...west to east.

Yes on a fixed gear with no bike shorts or anything. By the time he got there he had ripped a whole through his shorts and was bleeding...he rode there to get a job as a bike messenger (which he did). 1 week later the bike he rode across the country on was stolen in NYC....he was so bummed out that he flew back to Portland. Imagine something like that, riding a fixed gear all the way from coast to coast, you're gonna have an attachment to that bike....I hate bike thieves

8. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Bicycle Thread   

Whittlake is I super interesting guy.

I cannot imagine riding across the country

9. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

Riding across the country on a bike is one thing....doing it on a Fixie, that's just insane.

And to have your bike stolen at the end of that. Weak!

10. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Bicycle Thread   

I think the furthest I have ridin my fixie in a day is 30-40 miles

Longest on the Road Bike 65 miles corona to HB and back. My back hurt so bad at the end of that ride.

Longest on the BMX 70+ I used to ride a BMX in the bay everywhere

11. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Bicycle Thread   

I've actually never ridden a fixie, but I've got a couple centuries under my belt on my road bike (this was years ago of course) but by far and away the most strenuous effort I've put forth on a bike was a 50+ mile epic on my Mtn Bike. That truly shattered me....but it was super fun.

12. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

Official Bicycle Thread   

You know you want one.

13. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Bicycle Thread   

sodder clearly that is not a BIcycle!!!

Make your own thread that ish does not belong here

but I am a little jealous :)      

14. Junkshow

Junkshow

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The North

Official Bicycle Thread   

Did you ever get the hang of it sodder?

15. Sodder

Sodder

Poo Pants
    Loungin Since Aug '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

Thanks for posting the double chinned falling picture.

I did start to get the hang of it towards the end. Serraph's brother's roommate was the end all though. He hopped right on and went to town.

16. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

Official Bicycle Thread   

red-baron said:  I think the furthest I have ridin my fixie in a day is 30-40 miles
    Longest on the Road Bike 65 miles corona to HB and back. My back hurt so bad at the end of that ride.
    Longest on the BMX 70+ I used to ride a BMX in the bay everywhere

I usually ride my SE Lager to work which is just under 20 miles round trip or I'll ride it when I'm riding with my wife to get a better workout. I've done the Philly ACS the last 3 years, 66 miles on my Trek Pilot. I was contemplating doing the Century route this year but chickened out. Did the 66 miles in just under 4 hours, a half hour fast than last year....maybe next year. On bike theives, they should be beaten into a coma. If somebody stole my Cannondale hardtail I would be devastated, I've had the frame for 13 years, pretty much all parts have been changed out twice and I even got it painted because I got sick of the paint job. Maybe I take shot of the quiver tomorrow after my wife and I get back from our monday ride.

17. mjpoltorak

mjpoltorak

Loungin Since Sep '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

red-baron said:

a buddy of mine just did providence, ri to SF, ca. took him all summer with the bike and build program, seemed pretty cool. another friend is selling me his fixed gear, how hard are the skids to learn? i heard practicing on grass or wet pavement is the best for learning.

18. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Bicycle Thread   

that is exactly what I was gonna say...I learned on grass. They take way more strength and way more leaning forward than I would have thought. I was out riding with Nat at the park just kinda messing around and I started doing them on the grass.

19. mjpoltorak

mjpoltorak

Loungin Since Sep '09

Official Bicycle Thread   

cool..i'll try that then. im pumped to get it they look so fun.

20. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Official Bicycle Thread   

serraph said: You know you want one.

this hat confuses me.

21. Ampersand

Ampersand

Loungin Since Aug '09
    WI

Official Bicycle Thread   

mjpoltorak said:

red-baron said:

a buddy of mine just did providence, ri to SF, ca. took him all summer with the bike and build program, seemed pretty cool. another friend is selling me his fixed gear, how hard are the skids to learn? i heard practicing on grass or wet pavement is the best for learning.

I've never understood the fixer riders who do skids all over the place. That said, learn to do them and when you need it, it will happen.

22. Parker

Parker

$$$
    Loungin Since Sep '09
    MOD

Official Bicycle Thread   

ampersand said:

mjpoltorak said:

red-baron said:

I've never understood the fixer riders who do skids all over the place. That said, learn to do them and when you need it, it will happen.

+1

23. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Official Bicycle Thread   

i don't understand how fixers' knees don't explode going down hills

24. Parker

Parker

$$$
    Loungin Since Sep '09
    MOD

Official Bicycle Thread   

You keep your legs loose....

25. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

Official Bicycle Thread   

My quiver, a Cannondale Killer V, Trek 5.0 Pilot, and SE Lager Fixie/Singlespeed. The Cannondale has been fully rebuilt twice and I painted it matte black about 5 years ago. Trek Pilot has 2300+ miles on it, thinking of upgrading to a Madone frame next year. And the Lager, mostly for commuting, I usually use it as a singlespeed since my commute has some decent hills and I'm a big fan of my knees.

26. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

Official Bicycle Thread   

i will be riding a bike belonging to an 11 year old girl in moab. because it's the only one that fits, and i don't have my own. next year would be really cool to try some DH. people are convincing me to do this on the grounds that i can have the best chair access evah here. i look forward to once again having some strength so i can tackle new things like this. :)

27. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

Official Bicycle Thread   

midget-mafiosa said:  i will be riding a bike belonging to an 11 year old girl in moab. because it's the only one that fits, and i don't have my own. next year would be really cool to try some DH. people are convincing me to do this on the grounds that i can have the best chair access evah here. i look forward to once again having some strength so i can tackle new things like this. :)

How tall are you? I'm 5'5 so my trail bike options are limited. I think that's part of the reason I've kept my Cannondale frame 10+ years, plus the geometry has a BMX feel to it. I know Titus makes some nice bikes that come in a XS frame and even a few that are XXS with a standover height around 26 inches

28. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

Official Bicycle Thread   

Some of mine - also have an Intense DH rig and some other vintage road bike projects

29. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

Official Bicycle Thread   

soulslider said:

midget-mafiosa said:  i will be riding a bike belonging to an 11 year old girl in moab. because it's the only one that fits, and i don't have my own. next year would be really cool to try some DH. people are convincing me to do this on the grounds that i can have the best chair access evah here. i look forward to once again having some strength so i can tackle new things like this. :)

How tall are you? I'm 5'5 so my trail bike options are limited. I think that's part of the reason I've kept my Cannondale frame 10+ years, plus the geometry has a BMX feel to it. I know Titus makes some nice bikes that come in a XS frame and even a few that are XXS with a standover height around 26 inches

i am 4'11 5/8" tall. i'm not in the bike market right now, but i appreciate any knowledge you've got for the future!  

pretty sure my cruiser was 26". that's about my max.

30. District

District

Loungin Since Aug '09
    hi

Official Bicycle Thread   

@ abrafkingkadabra

those are only SOME of yours?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2016 Thread - 23456 165 whoisminishred alexxx 1 hour
Powzer Board Quiver - 23565758 1721 shralp tp1_kenobi 1 hour
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23101112 348 awd1105 alexxx 1 hour
The Official 2015 thread - 23118119120 3578 whoisminishred chucky 3 hours
FS: 2013 Burton Genesis Reflex (M) and Volcom Gore Ergo pants (L) 1 esthete esthete 5 hours
Burton Boot Machines... the official? - 23131415 438 Spenser hktrdr 6 hours
On-snow tricks 16 Duhg Howdy 6 hours
F-U Cancer - 234 98 shralp payaso 8 hours
Snowboard bags - 2 34 Daikonran illocon 9 hours
Edumacashon - 239899100 2994 red baron illocon 10 hours