• Latest reply from LilTeichMonster
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

Home Ownership Appreciation Thread   

shenanigans said: I second what shralp said.
    we finally close a week from tomorrow. fucking thank god. fuck this home buying process.

I'm assuming that by now you've closed and started to move. Any pics of the new place?

Today was our yearly garden refresh day.. Worked non stop all day to get everything cleaned, weeded and mulched, as well as planted some annuals.

2. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

Looks great lumpy. Saw the pics on insta.

We close Wednesday. I'll get before and after pics started.

3. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Looks good, lumpy! That is on my list of things to do as well.

4. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

shenanigans said: Looks great lumpy. Saw the pics on insta.

Thanks.. I love me some before/after action.. do it.

5. Iced_endeavor

Iced_endeavor

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Whistler, BC

iced_endeavor said:

youknowlarry said:

iced_endeavor said: I know where that no parking sign is, and given all the other clues on the website have a pretty good idea of where it is. I bet I could find it in an afternoon or two of looking. I'm sure there are a lot of others who could to. Hopefully for his sake that doesn't happen.
    edit: I actually just took the time to read the whole story and can say I'm almost 100% positive that I could likely find it within 20-30 minutes of looking. Based on what he's said about how he got stuff there, what was happening construction wise on the road at that time and a number of other things, combined with pictures of his view, I am sure I know exactly where it is. I knew the road from the no parking sign but whe I think about it there's only one place on that road that it could be.  

SO GO DO IT AND TAKE PICTURES OR STFU WIT YO BAD SELF.

In 20 minutes I'm off until friday night. I plan on going to look for it sometime in the next couple of days. I'll definitely report back.  

Finally got the time to go look for the Hemloft last weekend. Unfortunately I forgot my phone so I couldn't get any pictures. Super cool place. Although there's no way he made it public for any reason other than to draw attention to himself as the place is useless a a private spot for him now. There are people constantly there camping in it, and just partying. A lot of people have treated it like shit and just left garbage and cans and bottles all over the place as well. The door has been left unlocked so I was able to get inside and it is much more spacious than I expected it would be. It's just a shame so many people have no respect for the area as it's definitely losing some of "in nature" factor. For all you instagrammers, there are a ton of pictures if you search the tag #hemloft of both the inside and out.

6. Iced_endeavor

Iced_endeavor

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Whistler, BC

I can't imagine how hard it was getting all the supplies in there though, especially considering he said he did most of it at night. It's not a long hike from the road but it's all uphill with a couple fairly tricky little climbs and tight switchbacks through trees. It couldn't have been easy.

7. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

thelumpya2 said:

shenanigans said: Looks great lumpy. Saw the pics on insta.

Thanks.. I love me some before/after action.. do it.

carpet and counter tops go down on Thursday. the fence for the yard/dogs goes in that day too. I'm doing all of it except the carpet.
    Next week will be the back splash in the kitchen and new tile floors in the bathrooms.
    can't wait to get it all started.

8. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

iced_endeavor said: I can't imagine how hard it was getting all the supplies in there though, especially considering he said he did most of it at night. It's not a long hike from the road but it's all uphill with a couple fairly tricky little climbs and tight switchbacks through trees. It couldn't have been easy.

I wondered if any of the idiots on IG would be stupid enough to geotag their pictures... Turns out at least one person was. That would certainly make it much easier for others to find.

9. Iced_endeavor

Iced_endeavor

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Whistler, BC

I saw that. Even though it gives away the general location it's still pretty hard to find if that's all you're going off of as it's pretty far from the location tagged. For most people who spend a lot of time in Whistler the pictures on the Hemloft website were enough of a give away. The picture of the no parking sign alone is what I think tipped a lot of people off. It's what told me where it was, combined with the other pictures of the views from it I was almost positive of where it was from the start. Turns out it was exactly where I thought it would be.

10. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

The house is ours!
    Has not really set in yet, but we're really happy.
    Painted some walls last night, countertops this afternoon and carpets this morning.
    Maybe some bathroom tile tomorrow.

I love this

11. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

shenanigans said: The house is ours!
    Has not really set in yet, but we're really happy.
    Painted some walls last night, countertops this afternoon and carpets this morning.
    Maybe some bathroom tile tomorrow.
    I love this

Congrats.. I remember that biss like it was yesterday. One of the single greatest feelings in my life thus far.

12. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

started talking to the lender this week.....kinda freaking out but not letting Nat know that cause she is really freaking out.

13. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

red-baron said:  started talking to the lender this week.....kinda freaking out but not letting Nat know that cause she is really freaking out.

Freaking out is all good, if you weren't, something would be wrong with you. Just take it as it comes and make smart decisions as best you can. It's very difficult, but try not to let emotions get in the way as best you can. Also, enjoy it.. The home buying process can be alot of fun if things go well.

Also, GRASS! we have GRASS! This shows the photo I took about a month and a half ago, when I seeded, and then yesterday when I finally took the ugly fence down. The fence was dog protection for the new grass.

14. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

It looks great!

15. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Nice work Lumpya. Your little place reminds me of mine.

16. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

I bought a washing machine today. This means I am growing up, haha. I always thought that once you owned a washer and dryer, your hair starts to turn grey, then I go and find some grey ones in my beardy stubble. fuck, setting roots is hard for me, cause I always want to be able to get up and run if I need to or want to. buying a house might change that............... ( I just read this back and it makes no sense)

TL;DR.... looking to buy a house cause I can't stand paying rent.

17. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

Thanks guys, It certainly isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's green now.

Shralp, That's awesome. I like this little place, it's only about 1000 square feet above grade, but it's a 1950's ranch, and it's built solid. All the electrical has been updated and the entire house was renovated about a year before we purchased it, as well as the roof having been replaced, so we've had the oppurtunity to do mostly fun renovations, with a few not so fun one's here and there.

This is a good "training house" for us. It's small enough to keep costs down, but it still comes with all the responsibility of owning a house. I will admit though, we often talk about our "next house" as though we actually plan on moving sometime soon.

18. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

So I have been in talks with a guy to put up a safety fence around our pool. You might be surprised what a fence can cost, I certainly was.

At any rate, before I plunk down some serious coin, I wanted a date set for when the installation would take place (time estimate if you will). He kept being sort of vague, so I asked him specifically via e-mail and said I would not send a deposit until I had a date (I wasn't OK with "sometime in July")

I gather e-mail is not his favorite way to communicate, so he just left me a very polite voice-mail asking me to call him to set up an installation date.

After a polite good-bye, there is a pause in which he assumes the call has ended, and he VERY clearly says "That OK with you Ass-hole."

I am sorta put off by it, but kinda find it funny. My dealings with him have been pretty good thus far. I put the ball back in his court telling him I appreciated his voice mail and choice words he had for me.

Guess we will see.

1) He comes back and appologizes, should offer some scrilla off the price.

2) He is a douch, I complain to his supplier, cause some drama.

19. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

passing-gas said: So I have been in talks with a guy to put up a safety fence around our pool. You might be surprised what a fence can cost, I certainly was.
    At any rate, before I plunk down some serious coin, I wanted a date set for when the installation would take place (time estimate if you will). He kept being sort of vague, so I asked him specifically via e-mail and said I would not send a deposit until I had a date (I wasn't OK with "sometime in July")
    I gather e-mail is not his favorite way to communicate, so he just left me a very polite voice-mail asking me to call him to set up an installation date.
    After a polite good-bye, there is a pause in which he assumes the call has ended, and he VERY clearly says "That OK with you Ass-hole."
    I am sorta put off by it, but kinda find it funny. My dealings with him have been pretty good thus far. I put the ball back in his court telling him I appreciated his voice mail and choice words he had for me.
    Guess we will see.
    1) He comes back and appologizes, should offer some scrilla off the price.
    2) He is a douch, I complain to his supplier, cause some drama.

Ha, good on you for letting him know you heard his little phrase. Hope he offers some kind of apology discount for you.

20. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

thelumpya2 said:  Thanks guys, It certainly isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's green now.
    Shralp, That's awesome. I like this little place, it's only about 1000 square feet above grade, but it's a 1950's ranch, and it's built solid. All the electrical has been updated and the entire house was renovated about a year before we purchased it, as well as the roof having been replaced, so we've had the oppurtunity to do mostly fun renovations, with a few not so fun one's here and there.
    This is a good "training house" for us. It's small enough to keep costs down, but it still comes with all the responsibility of owning a house. I will admit though, we often talk about our "next house" as though we actually plan on moving sometime soon.

sounds familiar. Our place is about 1100 sq ft w/ a 350 sq ft basement room. Built in '52. Good solid rancher style house. We've had to do some plumbing and electrical work, but overall it's been a good house. We often dream of a slightly larger place on a bigger lot. We need more room for the dogs to run so an acre would be nice. We've got a ton of student loans to pay before we can save for a down payment though.

21. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

shralp said:

thelumpya2 said:  Thanks guys, It certainly isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's green now.

sounds familiar. Our place is about 1100 sq ft w/ a 350 sq ft basement room. Built in '52. Good solid rancher style house. We've had to do some plumbing and electrical work, but overall it's been a good house. We often dream of a slightly larger place on a bigger lot. We need more room for the dogs to run so an acre would be nice. We've got a ton of student loans to pay before we can save for a down payment though.

Ha.. Sounds like we're in a very similar situation. I'm student loan free, but My wife's monthly student loan costs make up for the both of us.. especially since this enconomy is in the crapper, she hasn't been able to land a proper job since she's been out of school for almost 2 years, just taking whatever is available.  

22. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

thelumpya2 said:

shralp said:

Ha.. Sounds like we're in a very similar situation. I'm student loan free, but My wife's monthly student loan costs make up for the both of us.. especially since this enconomy is in the crapper, she hasn't been able to land a proper job since she's been out of school for almost 2 years, just taking whatever is available.  

Bummer, we are thankful to have two good jobs, but our monthly student loan payments are bigger than our mortgage payment.

23. Ampersand

Ampersand

Loungin Since Aug '09
    WI

Dang, I didn't think I'd find myself in this thread for a while. But here I am.

Here's the lowdown. Moved from Milwaukee to Madison last summer for a new gig. The roommate is still commuting back to MKE twice a week and home-officin' the rest of the time.  

At the time we rented a condo from a dude who was moving to Atlanta. We knew the joint for sale at the time, but as dude said, "It's not gonna sell, it's been for sale for a year already."

It was a good place 854sq feet. 2 bedrooms, $1050/month, which was killer for it's location and condition. But it sold. We started looking to replacements. Everything that kept me within walking distance of my office was either a college dump or approaching $2000/month. Even living out in PassingGas' old hood put us at $1300 and the need for a second car. It was when we found an "ideal" place for $2250 that we decided to consider buying a joint.

So now we have one. We're closing on the 23rd of July. It's an 1154sq ft rambler (I believe). 3 bedrooms. Built in 1958. Detached garage, rad asian-esque screened-in zone, nice lawn with a decorative pond. Super landscape possibilities. The kitchen is small-ish and the floor in it is fucking crazy. But whatever.

The flooring guys are coming in immediately after closing to redo the hardwoods. Superwide, 6-inch planks with all the nailheads visible and in line. It's sharp. There are some things to be done it, but we're stoked.

I'm sure plenty of pics will be coming.

24. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

ampersand said:
    So now we have one.

6 months from now:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

Good luck man.

25. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

man I need to post some before and after shots.

Lumpy, I am damn envious of your yard

26. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

ampersand said: Dang, I didn't think I'd find myself in this thread for a while. But here I am.
    Here's the lowdown. Moved from Milwaukee to Madison last summer for a new gig. The roommate is still commuting back to MKE twice a week and home-officin' the rest of the time.  
    At the time we rented a condo from a dude who was moving to Atlanta. We knew the joint for sale at the time, but as dude said, "It's not gonna sell, it's been for sale for a year already."
    It was a good place 854sq feet. 2 bedrooms, $1050/month, which was killer for it's location and condition. But it sold. We started looking to replacements. Everything that kept me within walking distance of my office was either a college dump or approaching $2000/month. Even living out in PassingGas' old hood put us at $1300 and the need for a second car. It was when we found an "ideal" place for $2250 that we decided to consider buying a joint.
    So now we have one. We're closing on the 23rd of July. It's an 1154sq ft rambler (I believe). 3 bedrooms. Built in 1958. Detached garage, rad asian-esque screened-in zone, nice lawn with a decorative pond. Super landscape possibilities. The kitchen is small-ish and the floor in it is fucking crazy. But whatever.
    The flooring guys are coming in immediately after closing to redo the hardwoods. Superwide, 6-inch planks with all the nailheads visible and in line. It's sharp. There are some things to be done it, but we're stoked.

Old hood EASTside or McFarland? The house we rented on the East Side (Clover Ln) was a stones throw from teh famous Bucks Pizza and the even better "Pack'er Inn" Bar and Grill. Was like a block off the bike trail, which was close enough for me to bike into St. Mary's (which is saying a lot since I am festivly plump). The way I rode even let me avoid your loathed willy st.

What street is the new place on?

27. Ampersand

Ampersand

Loungin Since Aug '09
    WI

passing-gas said:

Old hood EASTside or McFarland? The house we rented on the East Side (Clover Ln) was a stones throw from teh famous Bucks Pizza and the even better "Pack'er Inn" Bar and Grill. Was like a block off the bike trail, which was close enough for me to bike into St. Mary's (which is saying a lot since I am festivly plump). The way I rode even let me avoid your loathed willy st.
    What street is the new place on?

I was talmbout the McFarland joint. My new place is on Havey, near the mallards stadium. 'Tis good.

I think I'm gonna start colling it "My Lot" so people think I live in a trailer home.

TIN CITY, BITCHEZ!

28. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Oh yeah, you told me that already. Brain fart noise.

Congrats on the house!

29. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

shenanigans said:  man I need to post some before and after shots.
    Lumpy, I am damn envious of your yard

Yeah you do, here let me get you on the mood. I've been wanting to fix the walkway from the driveway to the door since we moved in. Finally did today.

I forgot to take a proper "before" pic, but it was basically a single path of slate stones, hastily placed in some stone dust and seriously overgrown with weeds. The first pic was just after we'd picked the stones up. Also, it's not quite done, but this is where we stopped for today. And this time there's weed block under there.

30. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09
    bucktown --> strong island

nice work lump

mazel tov ampers!

gassy - any update on the fence guy who called you an asshole?  i would personally give the job to another company, and let this asshole know why he lost it.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Japan Pow - 2391011 315 Supra Mr.KnowItAll 44 seconds
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23149150151 4514 shralp BFBF 1 minute
Fun Powdery Video Thread - 23252627 804 Lomax ashy larry 27 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 163 awd1105 Wes Bourne 43 minutes
Get Baked With Spenser - 2 39 Spenser Spenser 1 hour
Official Union Binding Parts & Pieces Trading Thread - 23828384 2519 JP highme 1 hour
FS/FT: 2013 Burton Fishcuit (Black Scales) 11 LilTeichMonster snowboarder 1 hour
Albuquerque 13 zkurd snowboarder 1 hour
The Official Star Wars Nerdz Thread - 23192021 604 cantmethod uknowy 2 hours
FS: Burton [ak] Jackets & Pants - 2 34 MikeHoncho MikeHoncho 2 hours