• Latest reply from red baron
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Home Ownership Appreciation Thread   

Goggles, I've never seen a dishwasher that didn't have a flex line instead of a solid line. We have one and have never had any problems with it.

2. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

asianstick said: I'm insured through USAA but have never been able to get a loan through them. Not even for a new car and I'm about as low-risk as they come. They are very strict about their lending.

I have am auto loan through them, had a personal loan through them and have all of our familys finances through them, 401k, IRA's, checking, savings etc. Never had an issue getting approved, the issue fell with the deed restriction on the home.
    Just heard back from another lender in Denver, they can't do it because of the deed restriction as well. Local lender, well in Glenwood, who has dealt with this county before is all over it, and with the same interest rate as USAA and half the closing costs. Finally, some good news. Should be in by the middle of May if all stays on this path (giant sigh of relief)

3. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

That's good news. Glad you got it sorted out.

4. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

shralp said:

passing-gas said: Last weekend was un-seasonably warm. Great weather, but brought out my arch-nemesis: Wasps/Yellow Jackets.
    In march when it was still pretty cold out, I found 5 or so really small little nests on our deck (under the hand rails) and knocked them all down.
    Does anyone know of a substance that can be sprayed/brushed on the exterior of a house/deck that will make flying-stinging things stay far away?

No ideas, but your in the middle of apple country, I bet there are gajillions of bees around! Hope this helps.

They best stick to the orchards then and stay away from my porch, or they will be struck down with great vengence and furious anger! (with wasp spray)

I got no beef with bees, its the yellow jackets and wasps I wish to destroy.

I am going to try some traps and see how that goes.

5. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09
    bucktown --> strong island

we have a yellow jacket/ wasp issue too...building nests under our shingles. a kid got stung at Nora's b-day party last summer. we tried a natural trap with a soda bottle, banana peel and soapy water (got instructions online)...ftl...killed like 4 total. i then got hornet nest spray, sprayed the shit out of them (at night). that was annoying because every time i angled the can to aim the spray up under the shingles, it stopped spraying. after a few attampts, i killed most of them. then used spray foam to close up the opening, and that killed the rest.

you should get the spray at your hardware store and fuck them up.

this summer, i'm bringing in a professional.   

6. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Werd, I got some spray last night.

From what I can tell, their nest is not on my house, they're just looking to put up wasp condos everywhere?

If I knew where their nest was, i'd napalm it.

7. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

Watch out for the species that nests in holes in the ground. You'll be sorry if you step on a nest.  

8. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Loungin Since Mar '10

thelumpya2 said:  Watch out for the species that nests in holes in the ground. You'll be sorry if you step on a nest.  

Found that out putting fence posts in. That was a bad day.

9. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

lionel-hutz said:

thelumpya2 said:  Watch out for the species that nests in holes in the ground. You'll be sorry if you step on a nest.  

Found that out putting fence posts in. That was a bad day.

EEESH.. Somebody stepped on one in the middle of a Labor day party at my parents house years ago... it was utter chaos..

10. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09

my worst nightmare...i'm all allergic and shit.
    i have an epi pen, but it's like 5 years past expiry, and i have no idea where it is.
    i effing hate wasps and yellow jackets.  

11. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09

jen24 said: Goggles, I've never seen a dishwasher that didn't have a flex line instead of a solid line. We have one and have never had any problems with it.

successfully switched OUT the copper pipe for a flex line this weekend. no more leak.
    i felt handy.

also did a ton or yardwork, cleaned OUT the garage, hung a CO detector, got an estimate on a new garage, and did a ton of other small things around the house.

it never ends...  

12. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Just ordered this for the property today. I wasn't really in the market for something quite this fancy with the windows and what-not, but it turned out that the cheaper value shed wouldn't work for us, because I have a 60" cut riding lawn mower which is the primary reason for getting the shed, and the doors weren't big enough.

Pretty excited about finally being able to park both of our vehicles in our two car garage now. Which brings me to my next project. Next week I will be painting the inside of the garage, building a workbench and some shelves, and installing a new garage door opener on my side of the garage so that I can start parking in it again.

After that, I'm going to move onto building Sammy's flower bed. I'm going to build it up with 2 or 3 layers of retaining wall bricks, and I'm going to plant some kind of miniature tree or a bush in the middle towards the back of it, and then surround it with flowers. After I am finished with that, I will be working on mulching that and re-mulching my trees and the landscaping around the house. Should have my work cut out for me for the next few weeks.

13. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

don't you have a husband?

14. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Haha, yeah, but I'm the handy/crafty one :) I like it that way, though. Don't get me wrong, he helps me with that stuff, but I'm a little OCD about it, so it's usually best to let me do most of it myself.

15. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

I've always been a driveways are for cars and garages are for toys kind of person.

16. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

1) I really dig the place I'm renting right now, aside from the basement tenants are a little noisy sometimes (which usually aligns with when I have to be up at 4:30
    2) Landlord called tonight and mentioned he is thinking of selling the house...

3) Mentioned that he's not in a hurry, and would prefer not to deal with agents if poss. He'd remembered that I'd spoken about maybe buying in the future, wanted to let me know.

Basically he'll either keep renting to me, or talk to me about selling when/if I'm ready. An interesting situation to say the least. The house across the street is for sale too, location is fucking amazing. They want quite a bit, but it's newer than my current one and not set up to rent, which I'd prefer if I owned it. Fuck. Decisions. All my savings are in NZ pesos, which adds another complication.

17. yodelcaulk

yodelcaulk

Loungin Since Nov '09

Well,the good news is if you do buy either way you won't need to moving truck! Nice Jen, I wish I had the need for a riding mower. Finally finished our downstairs bathroom, stoked, plumbers in today to install toilet and shower (there's a glass partition and sink that will be put in later). And the sauna's been ordered!

18. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

Ron Mexico said: don't you have a husband?

LOLed all over the place at that.

19. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

boy said:  I've always been a driveways are for cars and garages are for toys kind of person.

cars are toys!

20. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Got cool last night, low 40's. 2 cans of wasp spray, abOUT 4 golf-ball-sized nests found under our porch hand rails.

Body count was 20ish, hoping they were the "hearty" ones and their elimination will prevent future wasps.

21. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09

nice work on the wasps, bathroom, garage, shed, etc.

this past weekend i cut down/removed the roots/stumps of 3 unhealthy rhodadendrons (sp?) and replaced them with 16 shrubs that will line our back retaining wall. they are japanese hollys and uonemas (sp?). was a lot of money and a ton of work... i hope they grow nicely and look good.

still contemplating the $1,000 for a new steel garage door vs sanding/painting our old rotting wood one...  

ps - dishwasher working and no more leak. yay me. 

22. thelumpya2

thelumpya2

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Maine

Backyard relaxation mode is now in full swing at our house. Looking forward to the summer.

23. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Awesome, I like what you've done there!

Hubby gave me the green light to build a little patio with a fire pit and some seating off of the shed after it gets built. We have a large deck off the back of the house with a table and chairs and a huge hot tub, but I've been wanting a fire pit for some nighttime fun and relaxation for a while now. Super stoked on that :)

24. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Jen, I hope your husband realizes he hit the jackpot with you. I'm impressed with your DIY attitude.

25. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Thanks Shralp, I love that stuff. My first house that I bought before Brent and i got together was an older house. My dad and I remodeled the whole thing by ourselves. It was so much fun, and some great bonding time between the two of us. If I could, i would love to flip houses. I just love creating stuff and fixing stuff up, it's a lot of fun, and I take pride in that kind of stuff.

26. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

I second what shralp said.

we finally close a week from tomorrow. fucking thank god. fuck this home buying process.

27. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

shenanigans said: I second what shralp said.
    we finally close a week from tomorrow. fucking thank god. fuck this home buying process.

Don't say that, I'm finally starting to get up the nuts to consider making my landlord an offer!

28. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

enn-zed said:

Don't say that, I'm finally starting to get up the nuts to consider making my landlord an offer!

I say go for it. the issue with us was the deed restriction. Probably not the case for you.
    You're a strapping young lad with a sexy accent, go for it.

29. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

shenanigans said:

enn-zed said:

I say go for it. the issue with us was the deed restriction. Probably not the case for you.
    You're a strapping young lad with a sexy accent, go for it.

I need to visit CO this summer so you can be my wingman/pimp...

30. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

bring me a cane and shoes with fish in them.
    we got this

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2015 thread - 23949596 2865 whoisminishred awd1105 9 minutes
The Official Car Shopping thread 6 six ihriep 41 minutes
"Safety Meeting" - 23317318319 9542 Dave99 snowbrdr1 1 hour
Jones Snowboards - 23313233 970 Supra BFBF 1 hour
HAHA you Dumb Fuck 15 drjcv EMHM00 1 hour
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23854855856 25678 TahoeChappy shenanigans 1 hour
The Official Tahoe Thread - 23525354 1614 Alkasquawlik Spenser 2 hours
The Official Seattle Thread - 23252627 794 Buffalo Swatter 27 JLD 3 hours
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23201202203 6065 shralp crutan 5 hours
Official Union Binding Parts & Pieces Trading Thread - 23828384 2513 JP LilTeichMonster 5 hours