take me to the bottom
  1. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

Home Ownership Appreciation Thread   

shralp said:

slipkid said:

shralp said:

slipkid said:  currently turning dark stained doors into white satin impervo. fukkin fail project.
    took a day off to start the master bath/bedroom doors (7 in total with the closet doors).
    spent two days with the primer. coworker tells me that tues when i go back "uh dude you can't spray primer in an HVLP gun. just roll it on, you have to sand it again anyways" fuk you.
    going to buy a $50 brush and foam rollers and experiment that way instead on backside of the closet doors.
    finally finished new exterior doors, new slider, new windows all around, and a professional exterior paint job going from horrendous green to a light light brown/grey.

I've got some stained wood doors too, can't imagine painting them. When funds allow I am just going to have new doors installed. Prehung doors are cheap at Home Depot. Think they start at $49.
    Rad that you got so much done. Have any before and after pics?

Yeah got a few picks but can't upload from work and i'll prob never log on here from home...
    we could have changed the doors outright and be done but we have all solid wood 6 panels. putting up hollow core doors didn't seem to jive, although we would get more of a contempoary look with a new style.
    i find it annoying that new homes around here sell for 400k plus and you are getting shit like hollow plastic doors and vinyl siding.

Understandable. I would replace solid wood doors either. My house was built in 1952 so it doesn't have any nice old skool features like that.
    The appeal of a new home to me is better insulation and not having a fucking to do list that never ends.

the to-do list will never end.

2. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

slipkid said:

shralp said:

slipkid said:

shralp said:

slipkid said:  currently turning dark stained doors into white satin impervo. fukkin fail project.
    took a day off to start the master bath/bedroom doors (7 in total with the closet doors).
    spent two days with the primer. coworker tells me that tues when i go back "uh dude you can't spray primer in an HVLP gun. just roll it on, you have to sand it again anyways" fuk you.
    going to buy a $50 brush and foam rollers and experiment that way instead on backside of the closet doors.
    finally finished new exterior doors, new slider, new windows all around, and a professional exterior paint job going from horrendous green to a light light brown/grey.

I've got some stained wood doors too, can't imagine painting them. When funds allow I am just going to have new doors installed. Prehung doors are cheap at Home Depot. Think they start at $49.
    Rad that you got so much done. Have any before and after pics?

Yeah got a few picks but can't upload from work and i'll prob never log on here from home...
    we could have changed the doors outright and be done but we have all solid wood 6 panels. putting up hollow core doors didn't seem to jive, although we would get more of a contempoary look with a new style.
    i find it annoying that new homes around here sell for 400k plus and you are getting shit like hollow plastic doors and vinyl siding.

Understandable. I would replace solid wood doors either. My house was built in 1952 so it doesn't have any nice old skool features like that.
    The appeal of a new home to me is better insulation and not having a fucking to do list that never ends.

the to-do list will never end.

It's as sure as bickering with the wife.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

I work in mortgages so, if anyone ever needs help let me know.

4. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

stealth said: I work in mortgages so, if anyone ever needs help let me know.

what can you do for a 30 yr fixed with as little as possible fees, with mid credit ratings at 730/710 for a hubby and wife?

5. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

shralp what is the name/brand of that chocolate brown paint color?

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

My house is newer and the to do list never ends.

Built my wood shed and loaded all the wood... now on to cleaning the gutters out...fucking leaves.

7. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

dasblunt said:  now on to cleaning the gutters out...fucking leaves.

I love trees, but FUCK LEAVES!

8. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

contra said: shralp what is the name/brand of that chocolate brown paint color?

IT is my opinion that Diamond Vogle is the ONLY brand of paint one should use. Get the permacryl, it's worth it. Goes on like glue, and the coverage, ohh the coverage.

9. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

shralp said:

dasblunt said: now on to cleaning the gutters out...fucking leaves.

Reminds me of a classic line. "why don't you make like a tree and get the hell out of here."

10. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

contra said:  shralp what is the name/brand of that chocolate brown paint color?

Contra its called Dark Chocolate by Hershey.

Actually, Chocolate Coco, by Behr Premium Plus in satin.  

11. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Ever seen "the Money Pit"?

Classic 1986 Tom Hanks. Funny movie pretty much epitomizes old home ownership.

http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

12. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

thanks dood. the money pit made me regret home ownership!

13. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

shralp said:

I'll see your leaves and raise you a million fucking apples.

14. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

It's a good color Contra. Let us know how it works OUT.

I love this scene from the money pit:

http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

15. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

paulg said:

shralp said:

I'll see your leaves and raise you a million fucking apples.

Apples are bad. We used to have cherries that was bad, but a friend has bleak walnutz. Those things are the worst ever.

16. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

We're on the cusp of a full kitchen remodel, already have the cabinetry in the works, having the room measured for new floors on thursday and hopefully getting a plumber in to look at installing a dishwasher soon as well. I may try my hand at electricianing.....hopefully I don't die/burn the house down.

17. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

We had a late freeze the year before last and my apple tree produced zero apples last summer....it's making up for it this year. I swear, that tree is trying to kill me and destroy my house.

18. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

paulg said:  We're on the cusp of a full kitchen remodel, already have the cabinetry in the works, having the room measured for new floors on thursday and hopefully getting a plumber in to look at installing a dishwasher soon as well. I may try my hand at electricianing.....hopefully I don't die/burn the house down.

Mega PM's to Suz will help. We are lucky to have her.

Cut the apple tree down and plan a nice evergreen or something.

19. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

ahh the money pit, i forgot about that money, fucking hilarious

20. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

shralp said:

paulg said:  We're on the cusp of a full kitchen remodel, already have the cabinetry in the works, having the room measured for new floors on thursday and hopefully getting a plumber in to look at installing a dishwasher soon as well. I may try my hand at electricianing.....hopefully I don't die/burn the house down.

Mega PM's to Suz will help. We are lucky to have her.
    Cut the apple tree down and plan a nice evergreen or something.

The tree is most certainly coming down this winter. At first I thought it was cool, the field behind my house, actually the whole area I live in was an old apple orchard (and by old I mean...my house was built in '35) and this is an original apple tree from that orchard. It's probably the only one left but FUCK that tree, it's days are numbered.

I have a couple of local resources for electricianeering advice but I may hit up Suz if I have some unaddressed issues

21. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Cool that the tree has history, but it doesn't sound like a good fit for you. Maybe try pruning the fuck out of it? Or plant something else that will give beauty and be lower maintenance.

I have a small simple yard. It has two mature trees. One is a 25 ft high dark purple Crimson King or Schwedleri maple and the other is a salmon colored dogwood. The purple maple give mega good shade but has a lot of big leaves. The dogwood has great spring color blossoms, and the leaves are small and blow into the neighbors yard. I pulled an overgrown evergreen bush out of the backyard a year ago and plan on replacing it with something fast growing that will give good shade.

22. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i love dogwoodz. i want to put a couple aspens in our backyard

23. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

slipkid said:

what can you do for a 30 yr fixed with as little as possible fees, with mid credit ratings at 730/710 for a hubby and wife?

Depending on your equity position and loan size you're gonna be low to mid 5% range.

24. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

stealth said:

slipkid said:

Depending on your equity position and loan size you're gonna be low to mid 5% range.

hmmm, equity position is now 20-25%. current rate is 6%.
    still not worth the refi

may just do teh ING Direct 5/1 arm at 4% APR. gives us a monster chance to prepay over the next 5 years.

25. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Slip, my wife and I refied with a 15 yr mtg and got down to 4.625% last Feb. Our credit ratings were mid 700's. You might be able to get a better rate with 15 yr and not pay much more per month.

26. Lhoosh

Lhoosh

Loungin Since Sep '09
    cubicle

General question for those who have made their first home purchase... how long did you have to work until you had enough saved up for your downpayment?

I've been out of school since May 08... got my first real job in Dec 08... & probably won't have enough for a decent down payment until April 010.... Paying rent feels similar to burning money... I'm looking forward to haveing a money pit I can call my own.

27. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

my wife and i had enough saved within 6 months of when i started work. but obviously it will depend on income/expenses, lifestyle, size of down payment, and how much of a savings you intend to keep on top of the down payment.

28. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

lhoosh said: General question for those who have made their first home purchase... how long did you have to work until you had enough saved up for your downpayment?
    I've been out of school since May 08... got my first real job in Dec 08... & probably won't have enough for a decent down payment until April 010.... Paying rent feels similar to burning money... I'm looking forward to haveing a money pit I can call my own.

Rent is not always throwing away money, there are a lot of factors to consider. Find an online mortgage calculator to get started.

29. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

lhoosh said: General question for those who have made their first home purchase... how long did you have to work until you had enough saved up for your downpayment?

current $8,000 hoem buyers credit extended till June 2010.
    thats a decent down payment on a small condo in some areas.

In detroit that buys a house.

30. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

blutters said:

Rent is not always throwing away money, there are a lot of factors to consider. Find an online mortgage calculator to get started.

Truth, I was 32 when I finally bought a pad.
    Rented for eons some cheap some pricier places, but a lot of flexability in lifestyle.

very important when you are right out of school too.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
English Premier League 2014/2015 season 22 Mulligan Mulligan 2 minutes
2015 Snowboard Movies Thread 15 red baron illocon 6 minutes
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23201202203 6063 shralp tekniq33 18 minutes
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23145146147 4396 shralp Alkasquawlik 28 minutes
The Official Tahoe Thread - 23525354 1607 Alkasquawlik Alkasquawlik 1 hour
Official Photography Thread - 23363738 1113 max thelumpya2 1 hour
FS: Burton, NOW, Union & more. PRICES DROPPED AGAIN! 9 awd1105 awd1105 1 hour
"Safety Meeting" - 23316317318 9540 Dave99 Dave99 2 hours
Jones Snowboards - 23313233 963 Supra BFBF 2 hours
the AG thread - 23122123124 3691 JP passing gas 3 hours