Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

Made some Swiss friends over the summer that live just outside of Bern; staying with them in February and gonna be riding portes du soleil, grindelwald, adelboden, verbier and some of their other spots.

I'll be doing a solo trip to Austria, Germany, and Czech Republic by train. Was going to leave my riding gear in Switzerland but am now thinking I should take my stuff with me, just to ride in Austria (and lug it in the other two countries like a fool).

Curious about spots in Innsbruck and Salzburg, and maybe Vienna. Anyone ridden any of those cities? The sites I've looked up don't give too much info. I've asked my Swiss friends and they've never ridden outside of Switzerland, except the French part of portes du soleil.

Hope some people can hook up some useful info, thanks.      

2. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

The Alps   

Grindelwald is fucking so sick, one of my favorite places that I've been to. My dad has a family friend that has a house there/manges one of the hotels in town.

My dad is from Switzerland and my sister lives in Geneva so let me ask them and see if they have any useful info.

3. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

Right on dude, any info would be great. What was so good about Grindelwald? Definitely can't wait to get out there.

4. ass

ass

Loungin Since Dec '09
    VW T4

The Alps   

hey, i'll be riding the innsbruck area most of the season, starting this weekend! anyway, inssbruck (tyrol) and the "salzburger land" are pretty awesome regions. in tyrol you get nearly everything, just depends what you're looking for. in salzburg mainly stands out the dachstein glacier and flachau-winkel with their absolut-park (chill house with skatepark). could write loads more, ust depends what you wanna know. oh, and i lived in switzerland too (lausanne), if you got any questions concerning that...but you might have that covered by your bern-buddies.

5. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

hey dude, since you're already here, let me ask you some questions.

how's the riding in lausanne? haven't actually asked my friend yet (he and his friends live in düdingen, just outside of bern) but i've read at a site that it's a pretty good place.

if i check out innsbruck (thinking of staying at a hostel), how long from town to tyrol? is the bus my best option to get from town to the resort? how much for a lift ticket in euros (i'll figure out how much in usd)?

same thing for salzburg; how long from town to dachstein or falchau-winkel (guessing those are two different resorts)? bus it? price for lift tickets euros?

in innsbruck and salzburg, those are the best resorts for all mountain and park? ever ridden around vienna?

off topic, is munich worth checking out (if you've ever been), just to kick it?    

6. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

The Alps   

I always go to portes du soleil, really big area and just awesome

7. ass

ass

Loungin Since Dec '09
    VW T4

The Alps   

dtunes said: hey dude, since you're already here, let me ask you some questions.
    how's the riding in lausanne? haven't actually asked my friend yet (he and his friends live in düdingen, just outside of bern) but i've read at a site that it's a pretty good place.

lausanne is just fucking beautiful, with the lake and the alps in the background. by train, it takes 2 h to get to either les diablerets (glacier) or les portes du soleil. portes du soleil is just insanely huge but needs snow, as the highest point is at 2000m roughly. diablerets is a little closer. when i lived there they offered combined tickets (train plus lift-ticket, which were quite good deals). diablerets being a little cheaper as its closer.

if i check out innsbruck (thinking of staying at a hostel), how long from town to tyrol? is the bus my best option to get from town to the resort? how much for a lift ticket in euros (i'll figure out how much in usd)?

tyrol is the name of the region in which innsbruck is located. you can actually get to ride in innsbruck, there is a gondola leaving from the city center and if you re wearing shred gear, the bus etc is free. from innsbruck you can pretty much choose what you wanna ride. mayrhofen, hintertux, stubai...everythin in less than an hour's drive.

same thing for salzburg; how long from town to dachstein or falchau-winkel (guessing those are two different resorts)? bus it? price for lift tickets euros?

right, dachstein is a glacier, 30min drive from flachau. dont remember if there is a bus-connection, sorry, but from salzburg there should be a train i guess. are you set staying in salzburg? if not, maybe try schladming, thats way closer to mountains.

in innsbruck and salzburg, those are the best resorts for all mountain and park? ever ridden around vienna?

no experience concerning vienna, sorry.

i live in munich right now, and i'd say def check it out! again, 1 h drive till you reach the mountains. or were you asking for general cultural tourist stuff?

prices are somewhere between €25 (really small resorts) and €45 (most glaciers are around €40)

i dunno what your time schedule will be like, but the region around arlberg is also pretty rad. bodensee is near, very beautiful too. oh, arlberg is the region gigi is from, so you guess what the terrain looks like.
    but, depending on the conditions of course, you can get everything when staying in innsbruck. hope this is not too confusing or something, if so, just ask and a try to make myself clearer...

8. DrMoebius

DrMoebius

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Austria

The Alps   

A few more pointers:

Forget Vienna. It's a nice city but there is no decent riding anywhere near it. For that your best bet is Innsbruck.
    Since ass mentioned the Arlberg: That one is reachable by train from Innsbruck in a bit more than an hour. Oh and Gigi is from the Bregenzerwald, which is pretty close to the Arlberg, but the road is closed in Winter...I do have a hard time judging the terrain at Arlberg objectively since it is my hometurf and I have not that many resorts to compare it to, but it beats those easily.

9. truckeebread

truckeebread

Loungin Since Oct '09
    PDX to Lake Tahoe

The Alps   

one word

mayrhofen

10. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

ass said:

dtunes said: hey dude, since you're already here, let me ask you some questions.
    lausanne is just fucking beautiful, with the lake and the alps in the background. by train, it takes 2 h to get to either les diablerets (glacier) or les portes du soleil. portes du soleil is just insanely huge but needs snow, as the highest point is at 2000m roughly. diablerets is a little closer. when i lived there they offered combined tickets (train plus lift-ticket, which were quite good deals). diablerets being a little cheaper as its closer.
    tyrol is the name of the region in which innsbruck is located. you can actually get to ride in innsbruck, there is a gondola leaving from the city center and if you re wearing shred gear, the bus etc is free. from innsbruck you can pretty much choose what you wanna ride. mayrhofen, hintertux, stubai...everythin in less than an hour's drive.
    right, dachstein is a glacier, 30min drive from flachau. dont remember if there is a bus-connection, sorry, but from salzburg there should be a train i guess. are you set staying in salzburg? if not, maybe try schladming, thats way closer to mountains.
    no experience concerning vienna, sorry.
    i live in munich right now, and i'd say def check it out! again, 1 h drive till you reach the mountains. or were you asking for general cultural tourist stuff?
    prices are somewhere between €25 (really small resorts) and €45 (most glaciers are around €40)

i dunno what your time schedule will be like, but the region around arlberg is also pretty rad. bodensee is near, very beautiful too. oh, arlberg is the region gigi is from, so you guess what the terrain looks like.
    but, depending on the conditions of course, you can get everything when staying in innsbruck. hope this is not too confusing or something, if so, just ask and a try to make myself clearer...

Damn, you just gave me lots on info; appreciate it! While in Switzerland, I think my friends will be driving to the resorts, so no need for trains. Wonder how much that's going to cost in petrol since it's more there than here in the states.

That's awesome that you can take a gondola from the city center of Innsbruck to the resort, or ride the bus for free. Later on, I might have to ask you for a website on the bus routes and times.

If I decide to stay in Salzburg (still sorting out an itinerary), I'm definitely looking into Schladming, like you said.

Europe is pretty cheap to ride compared to here. Fuckin mammoth mountain is going to be $92 for an adult. Good thing I have my mvp pass but still, $92 is ridiculous.

My plan was to stay in Europe for at least 3 weeks but when my Swiss buddies said I can stay as long as I want this past Wednesday, it's most likely going to be at least 4 weeks (maybe 5). Wasn't planning on riding in Austria (although I wanted to) but when they said to stay as long as I want, that made my trip longer and riding in Austria possible. That's why I came here yesterday to get info. Was originally going to buy a Eurail pass and just visit Vienna for a couple of days, maybe Munich for a couple (still not too sure about visiting Germany, not even Berlin), then Prague for four (everyone that's been has said I HAVE to go there, and also think about Krakow), then back to Switzerland.

About Munich, what do you recommend in terms of bars, clubs, the "bier hauses" out there? What's up with the resorts there; which ones do you recommend? Wasn't even thinking of riding there until you mentioned it.

Thanks!    

11. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

The Alps   

THE ALPS????? GET YOURSELF A SHERLOCK 163 SON!!!!!!!!

12. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

drmoebius said: A few more pointers:
    Forget Vienna. It's a nice city but there is no decent riding anywhere near it. For that your best bet is Innsbruck.
    Since ass mentioned the Arlberg: That one is reachable by train from Innsbruck in a bit more than an hour. Oh and Gigi is from the Bregenzerwald, which is pretty close to the Arlberg, but the road is closed in Winter...I do have a hard time judging the terrain at Arlberg objectively since it is my hometurf and I have not that many resorts to compare it to, but it beats those easily.

I'll still go to Vienna, just to check out the city and do touristy stuff in the day and party at night; might as well since I'll be in the country, but I see your point; when it comes to riding, Vienna's not the place. I was curious about where Gigi likes to ride, and now you've got me very interested with all that tough terrain talk. So the only way to get there is by train? How much are the lift tickets? Can you provide a link to a website,that's also translated in English? Just searched and found everything in German.

Thanks for your input, appreciate you taking the time.

Also, I picked up some stiegl beer on the way home, just to taste what I'll be having in Austria when I get there. Of course, it's going to be better there than the stuff here, like heineken; shitty here but SO much better in Amsterdam. Still, I want to get a sample of some Austrian bier.    

13. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

truckeebread said:  one word
    mayrhofen

Yessir!

Am looking into it. When were you there?   

14. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

passing-gas said: THE ALPS????? GET YOURSELF A SHERLOCK 163 SON!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA! I'm hoping it'll be like neverland when I'm there.  

15. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

martinus said:  I always go to portes du soleil, really big area and just awesome

Are you in France of Switzerland? How far is the place from you?

Thanks!

16. DrMoebius

DrMoebius

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Austria

The Alps   

Uhm I suppose you meant this, Gigi's homeresort?

skimaps of Arlberg itself can be found here. Oh and Arlberg can be reached by car. Pretty good actually since it is near main route from Vorarlberg to Tyrol (so the route going from west to east). In any case do check it out, lots of stuff has been filmed here so there must be something to it.

17. ass

ass

Loungin Since Dec '09
    VW T4

The Alps   

just on the run, so more detailed answer later....but anyway, you cant do too much wrong in each area, be it arlberg-region or tyrol.

18. LeoBjibbins

LeoBjibbins

Loungin Since Feb '10
    South Lake Tahoe

The Alps   

so what moutnain has the best parks??? and which ones can i use a rail pass to get to? and how cold is it going to be there in november?

19. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

The Alps   

dtunes said:

martinus said:  I always go to portes du soleil, really big area and just awesome

Thanks!

Well I normally live in Holland but I have a condo in Portes du Soleil on the Swiss side where I stay a lot in the winter.. Almost everyday I go to the french part and back to the swiss one. It's like 10meters from the slope. I just get out of my apartment, take my board and in 10 secs im standing on the slope... Really amazing

20. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

drmoebius said:  Uhm I suppose you meant this, Gigi's homeresort?
    skimaps of Arlberg itself can be found here. Oh and Arlberg can be reached by car. Pretty good actually since it is near main route from Vorarlberg to Tyrol (so the route going from west to east). In any case do check it out, lots of stuff has been filmed here so there must be something to it.

Thank you for all your help; definitely going to look into it.

21. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

leobjibbins said:  so what moutnain has the best parks??? and which ones can i use a rail pass to get to? and how cold is it going to be there in november?

It's actually a Eurail pass, and using it to go to a resort can be a waste, unless you use it the same day as a travel day, if that makes sense.

22. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

martinus said:

dtunes said:

Thanks!

Well I normally live in Holland but I have a condo in Portes du Soleil on the Swiss side where I stay a lot in the winter.. Almost everyday I go to the french part and back to the swiss one. It's like 10meters from the slope. I just get out of my apartment, take my board and in 10 secs im standing on the slope... Really amazing

Dude, that's fucking awesome! That you live in the Netherlands and also have a condo in the alps.

I've been to the Netherlands (only Amsterdam and Groningen) and would LOVE to live there; beautiful place. To have a condo in Portes du Soleil is just icing on the cake.

You ever rent it out?  Which resort in the entire Portes du Solieil area is your favorite?

23. LeoBjibbins

LeoBjibbins

Loungin Since Feb '10
    South Lake Tahoe

The Alps   

dtunes said:

leobjibbins said:  so what moutnain has the best parks??? and which ones can i use a rail pass to get to? and how cold is it going to be there in november?

It's actually a Eurail pass, and using it to go to a resort can be a waste, unless you use it the same day as a travel day, if that makes sense.

i didnt ask you to tell me what to call, or how to use my rail pass, but thanks.....& its continuous 21 day, so it wont be a waste, ill be traveling by trains....so my question again,

so what moutnain has the best parks??? and which ones can i use a rail pass to get to? and how cold is it going to be there in november(i dont plan on bringing all my outerwear)? i plan on stoppin on my way to italy, and want to shred some alps. i have a week before i leave, someone please make this simple.

24. ass

ass

Loungin Since Dec '09
    VW T4

The Alps   

so you get to italy by train? right now, i'd say hintertux, but just because it is the only one thats already open. but by nov there should be more.

so when are going from where to where? impossible to tell how the weather will be...you re quite possibly be on a glacier, i rode in a flannel today, but when theres no sun, it can get pretty cold.

25. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

The Alps   

'scuse my ignorance, but i'm into "technical" riding (tight trails, tree runs, pow pillows etc.) all these pictures of the alps looks like its just some steep open groomers. someone educate me on why the alps are so great.  

ass, is that your Vanagon in your avatar? Please post pics if it is.

26. thomasx2

thomasx2

Loungin Since Aug '09
    If you don't know...

The Alps   

posting in this thread for future reference.

I like.

27. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

The Alps   

dtunes said:

martinus said:

dtunes said:

Thanks!

Dude, that's fucking awesome! That you live in the Netherlands and also have a condo in the alps.
    I've been to the Netherlands (only Amsterdam and Groningen) and would LOVE to live there; beautiful place. To have a condo in Portes du Soleil is just icing on the cake.
    You ever rent it out?  Which resort in the entire Portes du Solieil area is your favorite?

Yeah I love it there, we don't rent it, only let family come there now and then.. Favorite place is probably just morgins because of the awesome tree runs and champoussin because it just has 2 amazing slopes. A blue one thats just really long and just cool to try everything on and a black one thats really awesome if there's a lot of powder..
    I am a bit jealous of all the people in the US with home town mountains and can just snowboard whenever they want with a season pass.. I stay they for like a week in a row but I still have to drive to Switzerland, which is like a 10 hour drive..

28. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

leobjibbins said:

dtunes said:

i didnt ask you to tell me what to call, or how to use my rail pass, but thanks.....& its continuous 21 day, so it wont be a waste, ill be traveling by trains....so my question again,
    so what moutnain has the best parks??? and which ones can i use a rail pass to get to? and how cold is it going to be there in november(i dont plan on bringing all my outerwear)? i plan on stoppin on my way to italy, and want to shred some alps. i have a week before i leave, someone please make this simple.

No need to take offense. And although you have a 21 day pass, using a "day" for a one hour train trip (or less) from some town to a resort IS a waste when you can get just pay for a separate trip for cheap, unless you're going to have some extra days left on your pass. But yeah, it's your pass.

Anyway, you having that 21 day pass got me interested to see if you started a topic for info regarding cities, which I saw.

In Amsterdam, you'll want to hang out in "Leidseplein". That's where there's some cool kick it spots for night time, like Melkweg (Millky Way) and Paradiso. Best pizza I've ever had was some pizza shop in Leidseplein, and for only five euros. I know that doesn't help but there are some good spots for not that much. I think the best coffeeshop is De Rokery; vibe, music, decor, and people are all chill. When I went, there were two of them (went to both), but you want to hit up the one in Leideseplein; it's a lot better than the other one.

Things to do: the Heineken Experience (the heineken there is so tasty; amazing how it's so good there and so shitty here in the states), Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank house, Sex Museum, Hemp Museum, Riksmuseum, Vondelpark, canal ride (which I didn't do but wish I did). I'm sure you'll be walking through the red light district but avoid the sex shows, unless you want to, just to experience it. I thought it was a waste of 30 euros.

Never leave your luggage out of sight, not even for a minute and expect to wait a while for food. They're not all about the hurry hurry hurry mindset when it comes to dining like we are here in the states; just chill on some brews.

In Switzerland, Zurich is supposed to be the best city for nightlife; that's coming from my Swiss friends (and friends here that have been to that country). Have also heard good things about Interlaken (saw someone mention that on your topic), St. Gallen, and Bern. Heard that Basel, Luzern, and Geneva are cool, but not must-see types of places.

Also, they say that Krakow (in Poland) is the new Prague, so you may want to check out that city. I'm still deciding if I'm going to or not.

You're going have such a great experience. Everyone should travel to another continent; preferably before the age of 30.

29. dTunes

dTunes

Loungin Since Dec '09
    soCal

The Alps   

martinus said:

dtunes said:

martinus said:

dtunes said:

Thanks!

Yeah I love it there, we don't rent it, only let family come there now and then.. Favorite place is probably just morgins because of the awesome tree runs and champoussin because it just has 2 amazing slopes. A blue one thats just really long and just cool to try everything on and a black one thats really awesome if there's a lot of powder..
    I am a bit jealous of all the people in the US with home town mountains and can just snowboard whenever they want with a season pass.. I stay they for like a week in a row but I still have to drive to Switzerland, which is like a 10 hour drive..

Right on, about the places you suggested in Portes du Soleil. I'm sure my Swiss friends know where to go but I'm going to have to try out those two places you mentioned. 10 hours is about how long it would take me to get from Los Angeles to either Lake Tahoe (maybe 9hrs) or Salt Lake City. It's 2hrs to Big Bear (Bear Mountain) or 6hrs to Mammoth.

Would you happen to know if the cattrack Gigi launches over in "Pop" is Avoriaz? I was looking at a map of the entire Portes du Soleil area and that "building" on the map reminded me of the building in the background in the movie.

30. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

The Alps   

dtunes said:

martinus said:

dtunes said:

martinus said:

dtunes said:

Thanks!

Right on, about the places you suggested in Portes du Soleil. I'm sure my Swiss friends know where to go but I'm going to have to try out those two places you mentioned. 10 hours is about how long it would take me to get from Los Angeles to either Lake Tahoe (maybe 9hrs) or Salt Lake City. It's 2hrs to Big Bear (Bear Mountain) or 6hrs to Mammoth.
    Would you happen to know if the cattrack Gigi launches over in "Pop" is Avoriaz? I was looking at a map of the entire Portes du Soleil area and that "building" on the map reminded me of the building in the background in the movie.

Yep thats avoriaz, it's like a city where all the roads are just snow during the whole winter and you just go between the buildings.. The buildings are awful though, just the smallest rooms ever where you just leave your stuff and just go snowboard all day. It still has it's "charme" though and they got a halfpipe, which I suck at:D. Can't really try it often

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
iPhone. - 23434445 1323 McKagan13 oakwood-jones 22 minutes
MEGASALEZ: Burton Malolo/Burton CO2/Holden/Airblaster/Anon 18 cantmethod Buffalo Swatter 27 41 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23103104105 3148 whoisminishred Spenser 1 hour
FS: Seasonal Unemployment Softgoods SALE: ANALOG, AK, Holden, G-Shock 26 captmuff captmuff 1 hour
Cleaning out my closet - Lib TRS, Airblaster, L1, helmets, etc 3 SuburbanLegend8 Altronulis 1 hour
the AG thread - 23123124125 3746 JP shenanigans 2 hours
The Official Tahoe Thread - 23525354 1616 Alkasquawlik shenanigans 2 hours
Official Bicycle Thread - 23126127128 3815 red baron shenanigans 2 hours
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23147148149 4442 shralp awd1105 2 hours
The Denver thread - 23232425 737 Deucen zkurd 2 hours