[sticky]

How the Hell did I Get Here? (aka we’re all Refugees)

(268 posts) (121 voices)
  • Started 4 years ago by drjcv
  • Latest reply from Dave99
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic

Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

stealth said:  tl:dr is the next inside joke for EL

Naw, it's ts;iria 

2. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

joined the bmb in about 2003, but lurked infrequently and didn't really get the whole forum scene. enter 2005 when i became a full-blown bmb junkie, rising to the "meeting sketchy internet people" challenge inside of six months as a result of hawking some beanies that i truly loved knitting for people (that in the wake of some other personal drama, ended badly as a business venture). moved to utah on a wing and a prayer and the tidbits also took me in, in the literal sense, after i got a place with a crazy roomie. i will be forever grateful for their welcome. moved in with chaiamrge (lv) shortly thereafter, and even got my first bmb boyfriend (crydersteez). made some amazing friends, a few choice enemies, and have been entertained, informed, infuriated, and surprised over and over again for the last five years. i've had a bmb/el boyfriend (enn zed) for the last two years and i like him a lot. i even love him! whoa! (serraph and sodder can attest to the fact that these things do indeed happen.) i joined el at serraph's behest, and have done my best to hold it down for the ladies, even when our numbers have been lean. welcome, noobs (and especially new chicas)! ladies...a boobcon invite awaits you; all you have to do is ask. guys, same goes for your wives/girlfriends/sisters/besties that are girls.

3. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

^^^ Your misfortune with the beanie venture and the current diecut drama has taughtt me to never offer any service for money on a forum.  

4. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

rfk said:

stealth said:  tl:dr

ts;iria 

latter is appx. 38% longer

5. RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

dave99 said:

rfk said:

stealth said:  tl:dr

ts;iria 

latter is appx. 38% longer

But made after ingesting coconut water.  That's gotta count for something.....

6. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

ha, i see what you did there

7. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

Does anyone that was around in the 90's remember a website called "Snowboarders Only"?

It had a big banner at the top that said, "skiers suck"  

8. RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

stealth said: Does anyone that was around in the 90's remember a website called "Snowboarders Only"?
    It had a big banner at the top that said, "skiiers suck"

Really, with two "i"s? No wonder it didn't last.....

9. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

touche...didnt notice the typo thur

10. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

mcbain said: ^^^ Your misfortune with the beanie venture and the current diecut drama has taughtt me to never offer any service for money on a forum.  

i'm glad i could serve as a tutorial. ;) the long and short of it is that business doesn't wait while your life has other plans for you, especially if your product is entirely self-produced. regardless, it was a moment, and all involved have moved on. it's how i met andy, and i'll forever be grateful for the experience i had doing it. it's not often you get to create things you love for a living, even if it isn't much of an income. i have a lot of gratitude for this community - y'all have supported me through some rough stuff. at times i question whether it's worth it to keep posting, but something inevitably restores my faith in the group as a whole. so yeah; kumbayah and an' all that - we do a damned good job of propping one another up, time and again.

11. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

This is my first foray into a snowboard forum, but I've been occasionally involved on forums for other stuff. I actually found EL through one of the gear videos last fall. I was looking at buying new boots, and I had my heart set on Salomon Malamutes, Burton IONs, DC Judges, or 32 Focus Boas after trying a bunch of different things on. I was trying to research on-line by looking for reviews - I wanted to know what experiences other peeps had with some of these boots. Google delivered a video of Chappy talking about his whole gear setup; from base layer on out.

I was stoked to find a more "mature" foice for riding. I wasn't looking for info only on park setups, and I wasn't quite headed for splitboard.com. I was looking for people in the middle - like me. As I occasionally lurked over most of the last year, it seemed more and more like this might be the place.

I was also running into a problem with my two closest riding buddies. All of us are in our thirties, and I'm the only one who hasn't gotten married yet. Hell, I've even gone back to school - effectively prolonging my adult adolescence. Throw in that I'm just really able to pursue snowboarding as aggressively as I've always wanted to in the last couple of years, and I needed someone to talk to! My friends just don't have time to keep up with my stoke!

The Chuckie Slasher/Party Fish was what caused me to finally register and start posting just a couple of weeks ago. I WANT that board, and this community seems to embrace it more than any other group that I've been able to find. Add a growing AIRBLASTER outerwear fetish into the mix, and I am hooked .... That one-piece WILL be mine - in PURPLE! Imagine my 6'5" 250 lb XXL Airblaster Purple onesie glory if you dare! I'd better start putting more stickers on my helmet to compensate.

12. shenanigans

shenanigans

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Vulgar Display of Gnar

lurked on the bmb in 03, joined in 05-ish.......

I have met too many of you befriended more intertzwise, just a good bunch of people on EL.

Thats about it.

13. suchick13

suchick13

Loungin Since Oct '09
    HoneyLlama !

This is how I ended up here.

It was September 1st 1997 when I logged onto the Burton message board for the first time. I'd been boarding since 1991 - I started when I was 35 y.o. I remember the date because Lady Di had been killed the night before. I went looking for snowboard information, which I found. But I wasn’t prepared for all the threads on other topics and the vibrancy of the community.

I continued to lurk for 3 months. The BMB was a great resource, and it was obvious there were a lot of content experts on the site. Which made it really intimidating. Some of the questions I had seemed really minor, or else really specific. I was especially keen to meet other women riders as there seemed so few of them. The community was so vibrant - there were such colourful, powerful personalities that came through on the screen. Red, yellowsnowman, littleb, bill, rebekka, disco, ur13, mennon...(and stealth - I had no idea you were so OG too) So I just lurked. Like a little kid on the periphery of a playground. ‘I’d like to join the BMB community, but I don’t know how - and you can’t see me to invite me in...’

One day I took the plunge and posted something minor. I probably would have stopped then if it hadn’t been for the PM feature they had. Someone (littleb) reached out and wrote to me saying “I like what you said. Welcome. Stay, and say more.”

So I did.

I was a member of the eTeam (sticker is still affixed to my daytimer - see pic below). I organized the first BMB get together in Whistler in 1999. I called it CyberSlide - yeah I know. Bad name. But it got re-christened by chiamarge (Lorene) in the early 2000's as Developer's Conference a.k.a. DevCon, as an homage to the Burton Developer website. We held a bunch of them over the years, and I still try and get out for a destination trip every season with some of the people here.

In spring 2000 Burton temporarily shut down the BMB because some spammers were posting white supremist crap. So the community scattered to TWS, Snowboarding Online, Outdoor Review etc. I spent time at TWS, usually in a bunfight with Stoli Drinker . What an interesting turn of events that relationship turned out to be.... Bob coming clean to me as to his real identity still stands out as one of the more compelling moments on the internet for me. In any case, the BMB reopened, and the migration back meant I cajoled LumberJackJibber, RBCUnited, Shoko and a few others back to the BMB. They livened the place up, to say the least. I also spent time at Outdoor Review and made friends there too, and also helped organize a "devcon" in Tahoe.

From 2001 - 2002 I managed to parlay my passion into my career. I worked at Burton as the Canadian National Manager. I went "dark" on the BMB as it would have been a conflict of interest for me to post. But I lurked and continued to watch the rumours and speculation. It was pretty funny watching the BMB from the inside out, so to speak. The day some wacko posted pretending he was the then-President of Burton, spreading rumours ?... It was one of the few times Burton corporate ever raised their head to really notice the community. Jake posted a thread denying it's validity. Ah ! the Wild West days of the interwebz !

During my tenure at Burton, I'd head over to see Brian Reed who was head of The Syndicate, Burton's IT / web group. We'd have lively discussions about how Burton was *not* leveraging the knowledge, passion and loyalty of the BMB members. There was talk of taking the e-Team and forming a smaller group - the Developer Team (d-Team). These members would have actual input into the development of the line. But it never happened. Frankly, Burton has so many other input mechanisms for line development, they felt it wasn't required.

After Burton and I parted ways in 2002, I logged back on as a community member. DevCon's were held - friends met and turns cranked. So many cool people I met. I stopped keeping count at around 80. Out of close to 100 people I've met, I haven't had one really bad experience. OK, maybe some folks I'd rather not be trapped in an elevator with for hours at a time - but everyone was a passionate recreational rider with a genuine desire to have fun and progress. Back before iTunes, I organized Rip, Mix and Burn - a CD music swap for BMB members. I still have those CD's and I got turned on to some music I'd never have been exposed to otherwise - another great "plus" of the BMB. Some of the stuff I did with the community via the BMB, I did one-on-one - career coaching / resume review / interview prep / marketing & business plan reviews. To be honest, there were some days my "work" at the BMB was more engaging then my "real" work.

But it wasn't just about knowledge. The BMB had heart. When Dave99 got really sick, we all rallied around, collected $$ and sent him a Wayne Gretsky jersey. His mom said it really made a difference when he was doing pretty badly. When Sean got cancer, we all rallied around to him him an autographed board and goodies. When tidbit's mom was killed suddenly, we donated to her charity and left messages of love and support. This place isn't just filled with knowledge, it's filled with love. Oh, and I was responsible for hooking IronChef up with his future wife. :P

The changes in 2006 to the Burton site got me used to avatars, links and a growing community. The level of discourse started to deteriorite into a lot of "us / them" crap, and god help any newb that stumbled into the forum asking an innocent question. Lots of the industry heads that used to be on the BMB left for other websites, or started their own blogs. The BMB was becoming more of a spammerfest by 2009 and when they moved to the Kommunity / twitter format it was the final straw. Burton gave the existing BMB very little notice, and never asked for the courtesy of our input. Even if they ignored it, we're the customer after all. Would've been nice to be consulted. Doc's already summarized how many of us felt about that move, and how Chappy (and PG, for a brief shining moment !) stepped in to fill the void of on-line snowboard junkies.

Chappy originally invited me to join EL in the summer of '09. But I declined. I felt the BMB's "death" was a sign I should just jettison on-line message boards. I'm getting kind old for this shit too, let's face it, etc. But in the ensuing weeks, others asked to join like Dave, midget, suze, Andy... So I joined EL in Oct 2009.

And here I am.

14. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

suchick13 said: This is how I ended up here.
    It was September 1st 1997 when I logged onto the Burton message board for the first time.

My 18th birthday.
    <3

15. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

serraph said:

It was September 1st 1997 when I logged onto the Burton message board for the first time.

My 18th birthday.
    <3

I confess. I imagined 18 yr old version of you for a split second.

16. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

mcbain said:

serraph said:

My 18th birthday.
    <3

I confess. I imagined 18 yr old version of you for a split second.

not curious, just pervy. ;)

17. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Everyone already knows that I came over here from Sierra, but I suppose I can explain how I got there, and why I am now here.

I found Sierra when I was looking for a pair of boots back in September of 08 (there are no local shops here, and the pro shop at the local hill only sells Burton, and I was looking to try something different). I bought my ThirtyTwo Lashed boots there, and it wasn't until 3 or 4 months later that I ventured back to Sierra when I needed a new pair of bindings. It was then that I stumbled upon the community. I lurked for a few days and got a feel for the place, and soon made my first post (which ended up being a repost and I got instantly scolded, haha). I didn't throw in the towel though, and I ended up winning everyone over and quickly made some awesome friends.

I went out to Breckenridge for my honeymoon in March of 09 and met up with Bruizza and Infiniti from Sierra to ride Keystone. We had a blast, and I decided that I wanted to meet more of the people that I talked to on a daily basis, so when Bruizzapalooza 2010 came around, my husband and I booked two packages and flew out for the weekend.

Since then, things have went downhill pretty fast around Sierra, and I was starting to get pretty sick of all of the point whores and all of the arguing and stupid questions that seem to be completely taking over the forums. That's when I started hearing the talk about Easy Loungin and decided to come check it out for myself. After lurking for a day or two, I noticed that I liked the conversations that were being had here much better than the conversations that were being had at Sierra, so I signed up and here I am.

So far I feel very welcome here, and I am looking forard to getting to know everyone better, and hopefully I can make even more wonderful friends to meet up and ride with.

18. Paul

Paul

Loungin Since Oct '09
    SaskBerta

lets shred canada 2011. kicking horse or revelstoke.........do it

19. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

let's fuckin shred east coast

20. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

I tried to win a free setup, lurked for bit, got in an e-fight with Slipkid, got e-smacked-down and been a regular ever since. Met some really, really cool people both virtually and actually and look forward to meeting more. I was e-stalked on snowboard.com for a bit before that but that's a different story.

21. hatter

hatter

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Cleveland sucks my taint!

One night I was sitting around a campfire when a magical unicorn visited. He told me wonderful stories about cheeseburgers, pizza threads and a guy with marshmallow fists. When I awoke the next morning I realized that it could come true. (I really hope it's obvious how I came here)

22. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

I joined teh BMB back in 08 while searching for 09 proddy. Lurked on the BMB a long time before I started posting. When the whole DMB thing went down, I joined PG's thing then came here after it died.

23. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

I was snooping around the burton site in 2004(?) and somehow stumbled upon an older version of the BMB. There was pictures of next years gear and I instantly became intrigued. I lurked for a while and posted a few things occasionally. It seemed like there were so many tight bonds in place between existing members, becuase of this I didnt really want to post much. I felt like I could never tap into the BMB community or make any sort impact. It wasnt until they made the newer BMB that I actually started posting. It was a fresh start and I thought it was my time to start trying to get involved. Next thing I know it was the summer of 2009 and I was a regular on the BMB. That summer shit went down and EL started up. I think now that I am more involved in the EL community than I was at the BMB. Im glad I got involved, I met some really cool people through these places and can only look forward to meeting more..I mean moar.  

24. jbrorbs

jbrorbs

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Bismarck

Not much to my story. I started lurking on the BMB around '05 with the occasional post here and there. I signed up for EL at the time of its inception and have been doing pretty much the same. I usually dont have a whole lot to say so I usually tend to lurk (on an almost daily basis) and enjoy reading what people have to say on most subjects. Good, bad, or ugly it doesn't matter. This place is entertainment at its finest.

Thank you Doc for creating such a quality thread. It's very interesting to see where EVERYONE that contributes to this message board has came from.

25. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

on a related note, the burton rider service guy got a process logo in his name and he is back answering questions.

26. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

I started posting on snowboardreview.com back around 2001. Found the bmb in 2002 and started posting as smitzfaldo. Sometime a few years later switched to this name and have been here on and off (mostly on) ever since. It really is astonishing sometimes to think of all the time i've wasted here over the years and all the things I could have done with that time. But whatever, I enjoy a good, solid, meaningless discussion as well as the next guy I guess and that's why I continue to come around.

27. Junkshow

Junkshow

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The North

stealth said:  tl:dr is the next inside joke for EL

What does this mean?

28. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

too long; didn't read

29. CheckOnTrips

CheckOnTrips

Loungin Since Aug '10
    East Coast

It all started back in 1981 when i tore my way out of my mother's vagina....

...29 years later, here i am, posting on EL.

30. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

thats one way to do it

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Slash Straight Replacement 13 Face chucky 34 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23114115116 3455 whoisminishred chucky 38 minutes
The Official 2016 Thread - 234 120 whoisminishred MCWyeth 43 minutes
Post Your Quiver Thread - 23929394 2808 shralp rambob 53 minutes
Call the Landlord (a review): - 2 46 Qurph wino 1 hour