The Official coolest technical outerwear thread (gore-tex and 20/20 or higher)

(165 posts) (60 voices)
  • Started 5 years ago by nj2481
  • Latest reply from blokkie
  • 3 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

porters 10% back!! buy it here from chappy and the message board you use....plus as a EL member, you get 10% back!! dont be lame

2. User has not uploaded an avatar

photogeeza

Loungin Since Aug '11

Boom Boom

3. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>summer

norrona?

4. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home

alexxx said:  norrona?

Yup, just looke dit up. Can be your's for 1,199 Euros.....

5. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>summer

i'll pass...
    don't like the cuff closures

6. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

barf

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

photogeeza

Loungin Since Aug '11

What wrong with the cuff closures ?

8. carvebeast

carvebeast

Loungin Since Mar '11

im just gonna throw this out there and if you dont like it you can send it right back, but it has to be said...one piece snowsuits, no matter how warm they keep you, or how cool a company makes them (im looking at you airblaster), are ridiculous. ok, carry on.

9. snowboarder

snowboarder

Loungin Since Jul '10
    Whatever, You Know...

i'm liking volcom's half stone jacket for the '12 season

10. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

carvebeast said:  blah blah blah. ok, carry on.

Never have your jacket/ pants filled with snow ever again because it sneaked in between the jacket-pants interconnection.

+ comfort.

WIN.

I want one. I'll carry on, 'cause everybody's entitled to his own opinion, MAN.

11. User has not uploaded an avatar

RDuke

Loungin Since Aug '11
    Aspen

One piece suits look good off the hill. They look very awkward when on a person, and in action.

12. BlairW

BlairW

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Batteries!

drjcv said:  barf

13. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

photogeeza said:  Boom Boom

Needs butt zipper.

14. Buffalo Swatter 27

Buffalo Swatter 27

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Badfish.

serraph said:

Needs butt zipper.

Comes with one of these free.

http://www.go-girl.com/what-is-gogirl.asp

15. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

f18 said:

carvebeast said:  blah blah blah. ok, carry on.

Never have your jacket/ pants filled with snow ever again because it sneaked in between the jacket-pants interconnection.
    + comfort.
    WIN.
    I want one. I'll carry on, 'cause everybody's entitled to his own opinion, MAN.

word.

i dig the green one.  needs a more generous cut though

16. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

carvebeast said:  im just gonna throw this out there and if you dont like it you can send it right back, but it has to be said...one piece snowsuits, no matter how warm they keep you, or how cool a company makes them (im looking at you airblaster), are ridiculous. ok, carry on.

rduke said: One piece suits look good off the hill. They look very awkward when on a person, and in action.

My 6 one pieces (over the years) and I disagree with you.  

17. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

rduke said:  One piece suits look good off the hill. They look very awkward when on a person, and in action.

HUH

18. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Twin Cities

Probably doesn't deserve its own thread: anyone handled the Burton Dark Horizon Porter 3L jacket? They're claiming some crazy space-age tech from the airforce. Listing it at 30k waterproofing / 15k breathability, plus easy packability (ok technically not 20k/20k, but good enough). On this colorway they're also claiming they used some crazy space-age tech to, well...

"Warm or cold conditions, the stormproof men’s Burton 3L Porter Jacket in the Blotto Gray colorway self-regulates temp, precip, and wind to advance the notion of climate control. The short story is superlight Stoz® Etaproof™ fabric originally developed for Air Force pilots to survive a crash at sea. Incredibly weatherproof, breathable, and rugged, this natural fabric’s phase changing tech actually increases waterproofing when faced with wet conditions. It’s a lot to comprehend, but trust us—the science makes it ideal for demanding missions in mountainous terrain."

This one is called the Porter Patrol and also listed as having "Stoz® Etaproof™" fabric. Full marketing copy isn't up yet, so not sure if that's true though.

Second one looks clean, albeit basic.

Also listed as having the "mid fit", somewhere between Sig and Slim. Slim's too much for me, Sig's always been a little big (at least in jackets). Intrigued by this jacket... might go with this if Homeschooled doesn't work out.  

19. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

I'm not sure if the 'Patrol' is Stoz or not, but I don't think so and can find out. Where did you see it listed as stoz? I think its a little more expensive because of its 'special features' whereas the blotto is even more expensive.

I think there's no copy because there was risk of grumbling, and a desire to keep it misty...

Its fully reversible in case of - ahem- an emergency.

This one's on my list, although I like the red hex, best- this one could come in handy!         

20. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

"Reverse the Porter to blend in with authority."

21. CheckOnTrips

CheckOnTrips

Loungin Since Aug '10
    East Coast

Its probably too early, but any word on a ballpark price for those jackets?

22. tomace

tomace

Loungin Since Oct '10
    CT

finally a snow outfit for the people who want to dress like brobie on the hill

23. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

checkontrips said: Its probably too early, but any word on a ballpark price for those jackets?

Porter 250
    Blotto 350
    Patrol 300

24. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

if i was a rich man

:(

25. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

then you'd buy ugly jackets?

26. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

27. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

contra said: then you'd buy ugly jackets?

maybe

i have to admit though i am quite partial to this brand

28. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Twin Cities

lol, wow at ski patrol graphics.

checkontrips said: Its probably too early, but any word on a ballpark price for those jackets?

Porter is $250 MSRP, but the grey one with the crazy "stoz" material I mentioned earlier is $350. Porter Patrol is $300.

29. kimchijajonshim

kimchijajonshim

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Twin Cities

Someone posted about Sweet way earlier, but their 2012 line looks super sick. 3L and 2L goretex, roomy cuts, loud colors. Too bad they're based in norway and apparently Euro-only.

http://www.sweetprotection.com/snow/technical-clothing/

30. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

kimchijajonshim said: lol, wow at ski patrol graphics.

Porter is $250 MSRP, but the grey one with the crazy "stoz" material I mentioned earlier is $350. Porter Patrol is $300.

You know 'crazy space age stoz' is air force tech, but like WW I air force tech! its actually cotton. I guess they don't want to call out this 'natural fiber' by name it cause its so counter-intuitive.

I don't mean to knock it, though, and I imagine the feel is great. I haven't felt it yet, and look forward to pawing one.

Cotton woven from as it was when English textiles couldn't be matched anywhere in the world... British fight pilots started making flight suits out of this super tight weave cotton to make sitting for hours waiting to fly (and crash landing in the cold ocean) more comfortable.

Waterproof cotton like when they used to make high-pressure fire hoses and buckets out of cotton.

I guess 'works even better when wet' is the fibers swelling, and I can only presume its also coated.  

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23862863864 25913 TahoeChappy zkurd 5 minutes
Unions vs. rome 390's ??? 7 LTshredTN NatasKaput 1 hour
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 564 Spenser tekniq33 1 hour
Nico interview 30 drjcv Supra 1 hour
Official Bicycle Thread - 23127128129 3867 red baron shinobi 1 hour
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23556557558 16729 Dr. Dre shinobi 2 hours
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 176 awd1105 Supra 3 hours
Cross Country Travel 5 HIHaole JLD 3 hours
WTB: Channel inserts + hardware 5 notmikebuckley NatasKaput 3 hours
WILL SIZE 11 NIKE BOOTS FIT IN SIZE MEDIUM EST BINDINGS????? CIRCLE YES OR NO!!! 19 passing gas notmikebuckley 5 hours