• Latest reply from zkurd
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. taiguy

taiguy

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Denver

Official Liquor/Liqueur thread   

oh and firefly. that stuff is fanfuckingtastic.

2. CheckOnTrips

CheckOnTrips

Loungin Since Aug '10
    East Coast

taiguy said:  oh and firefly. that stuff is fanfuckingtastic.

3. cantmethod

cantmethod

Loungin Since Feb '10
    Keep Hoth Local

I lol'd

4. District

District

Loungin Since Aug '09
    hi

sooooooo cheap

5. RideTimeless

RideTimeless

Loungin Since Sep '10
    10x10 box...

If you ever wanted to go with an asian flavor, Jinro Soju and lychee drink over ice is an excellent mix. Simple and the women love it. Hard to find though cause standard bars don't have soju and japanese bars typically only carry sake. It's cheap too 750mL for $10 @20% alcohol. It's Korean rice wine basically.

6. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

For Whisky only, we hang out here:

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Revival! I didn't want to make a new thread so I searched this one.

Per contra's request...the Margarita.

The Margarita is one of my all-time favorite cocktails. I'm a tequila lover and I can't think of any other drink that truly celebrates tequila as a spirit and as a key cocktail ingredient.

The recipe for a Margarita is easy. It's a variation of the Sidecar, only the brandy is replaced by tequila and the lemon juice is replaced by lime juice. Both the Margarita and the Sidecar have something very important in common: Cointreau is a MUST. Not triple sec. Not curacao (especially not blue). Not Grand Marnier. Not any other orange-flavored liqueur you can find. Cointreau.

That being said, the proportions for the Sidecar and the Margarita are exactly the same; 3:2:1. Three parts tequila, two parts Cointreau, one part lime juice. Some people like to elevate the concentration of the spirit portion and do a 4:2:1 mixture, and that's just fine with me so long as it's appropriate for the liquor your use (read: good liquor). Shake the ingredients and pour it in whatever container helps deliver the goods to your face as quickly as possible.

As far as liquor goes, I normally prefer blancos since they tend not to muddy the flavors as much and really offer the most agave flavor out of the three (four if you count extra anejos) varieties of tequila. Espolon, Milagro, El Tesoro, and Azunia are fan favorites. For those of you looking for a bit more character, Gran Centenario, Cazadores, and Corralejo reposados seem to play nicely.

Paul and I were talking about agave nectar in the coffee thread, which brings me to my next point: a drink that has tequila, lime juice, and agave nectar is not a Margarita. It's a tequila sour. In order to classify as a Margarita, it has to contain Cointreau as the sweetening/flavoring ingredient. Sours are their own types of cocktails that are governed as such: spirit, souring ingredient (lemon or lime juice usually), sweetening ingredient (often in equal parts).

And I'll stop myself there.

8. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

That's it. I'm having a margarita with my pizza tonight.
    And maybe a glass of anejo tequila for dessert.

9. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

I reeeeaaaaaally want Larry to make me a margarita now. They are already my favorite drink, but most places around here do not pay that kind of attention to detail, unfortunately.

If we ever meet in person, Larry, I fully expect you to be my personal bartender and make me awesome drinks, haha.

10. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

I'm not into margaritas at all. Mostly cause I really like Patron for sipping. Matadors are definitely something to try though

1 1/2 oz Hornitos
    3 oz Pineapple juice
    1/2 oz Lime juice.

Love these in the summer

11. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

I've never had a margarita. true story.

now I want one.

12. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

jen24 said: I reeeeaaaaaally want Larry to make me a margarita now. They are already my favorite drink, but most places around here do not pay that kind of attention to detail, unfortunately.
    If we ever meet in person, Larry, I fully expect you to be my personal bartender and make me awesome drinks, haha.

I don't do anything special that you can't do yourself. I have a couple secrets (that aren't really secrets) that help the process along:

-Good shaker
    -Good strainer (and fine strainer for removing unwanted ice chips from the drink)
    -Good liquor
    -Good juice (usually I squeeze lime juice four hours before having people over. The extra acidity seems to be a good thing in drinks when compared to lime juice that's freshly squeezed.)
    -Good ice (I make mine with distilled water)

13. mr mouse

mr mouse

Loungin Since Apr '10

ice from distilled water, interesting, any significant difference, visible? i guess it can be less "white", since distilled water is emptier, more clear, i can be terribly wrong

thanks for tips, keep em coming if you have more

14. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

mr-mouse said:  ice from distilled water, interesting, any significant difference, visible? i guess it can be less "white", since distilled water is emptier, more clear, i can be terribly wrong
    thanks for tips, keep em coming if you have more

Distilled water is an important part of getting perfectly clear ice since there are hardly any impurities in the water to cloud up, but a lot of the problem comes from trapped air in the cube. Water freezes from the outside in so there is no way for the air to escape if it's stagnant. It becomes increasingly more difficult to produce clear ice the large the cube/block gets. If you make small ice cubes, just using distilled water should yield a pretty good result.

So you can try a couple things if you want clear cubes: 1) you can freeze it in layers (keep adding a little bit at a time until you have the desired cube size), or 2) you can stir the water occasionally as its freezing (if you're using a tray).

I don't pay too much attention to how clear the ice is unless I'm bored and feel like getting a little dorky. The main reason I use distilled water for ice is because it tastes as neutral as possible. Ice/water in a cocktail should be used to chill the drink and calm down some of the fire of the spirit you're using, not impart whatever flavor your municipal water supply has in it.

Another note on ice: use ice that's as fresh as possible. If it's been in the freezer for a couple days, it's already too old.

15. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Interesting about the Tequila Sour thing, I had no idea. I've been told that the sugar in agave nectar (or simple syrup even) brings out the flavor of the lime but it makes sense that adding the sweetness of the agave nectar would help bring out the tartness of the lime which would produce a more overall sour sensation.

My recipe for a margarita has been, 1/4 cup of fresh lime, 1/4 cup of Cointreau and 1/2 cup of good white tequila. Shaken over ice and served up in a salted glass, garnish with a lime if you like. I've only recently started adding the agave nectar and I've really enjoyed that addition.

16. mr mouse

mr mouse

Loungin Since Apr '10

i haven't really thought of perfect ice cube till now to be honest hehe, i might aswell try one of those techniques, compare normal to distilled, yeah that should stimulate my lazy ass in order to make cocktail or two

17. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Best trick for any margarita is the squeeze 2 1/4 wheels of lime into the bottom of the shaker and then toss them in as well. Also I've found that if you really like tequila for sipping IMO a shittier tequila is better for margaritas. Otherwise it just tastes like you watered down good tequila with ice and lime. The whole purpose of most mixed drinks is to hide the alcohol so you can serve lower end booze. High end booze is for drinking. Not mixing.

Our favorite house margarita is called a Gun Slinger at a local bar. Pack a 5th of Sauza Gold half full with Chili De Arbols and leave for about 2-3 days. Strain the Arbols bout of the tequila. Gun Slinger is 2oz arbol infused tequila(Spicy!), 1oz Grandma or Cointreau, and 1oz sweet & sour. Big Orange slice on top. Definitely a sipper and good for a flask on bitter cold days on hill.

Also is awesome to cook with or play evil pranks on friends by offering shots.

18. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

larry will not approve

19. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

brb raging

20. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Pushing more buttons than the simple keys on my laptop. Awesome

21. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

You wish. idgaf if you drink shit.

22. peh760603

peh760603

Loungin Since Sep '09
    the orient§

straight up only... preferably scotch

23. peh760603

peh760603

Loungin Since Sep '09
    the orient§

preferably a single malt

24. peh760603

peh760603

Loungin Since Sep '09
    the orient§

preferably ballentines

25. peh760603

peh760603

Loungin Since Sep '09
    the orient§

had jw green label the other nite

Not bad

26. CheckOnTrips

CheckOnTrips

Loungin Since Aug '10
    East Coast

Ill only drink my margaritas with an ice cube like this:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

Kinda long video but the end result is rad.

27. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I do that for fun sometimes. I don't use a pick though. Using a long fillet knife is easier and faster.

28. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Now if I could just find a big enough glass

29. CheckOnTrips

CheckOnTrips

Loungin Since Aug '10
    East Coast

youknowlarry said: I do that for fun sometimes. I don't use a pick though. Using a long fillet knife is easier and faster.

I did it as part of a fastest bartender competition a few years back. At the end of the contest people bid on the winner's ice sphere and the money went to charity.

The competitions around here traditionally end with a fastest margarita round, and the winner's drink gets auctioned off for charity as well.

Im sure you'd enjoy a margarita that was finely crafted in under 6 seconds.

30. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

When I go to a bar, I actually enjoy watching the process of a bartender constructing the drink. Just part of the experience.

But a margarita in six seconds...that's nuts. It takes me at least 15-20 seconds just to shake the damn thing.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23853854855 25642 TahoeChappy YouKnowLarry 1 hour
The Official 2015 thread - 23888990 2694 whoisminishred MarkusM 2 hours
FS: Burton, NOW, Union & more. PRICE DROP/SHIPPING INCLUDED 6 awd1105 awd1105 2 hours
"Safety Meeting" - 23316317318 9534 Dave99 Iced_endeavor 2 hours
Smith Vice 2 notmikebuckley drjcv 3 hours
English Premier League 2014/2015 season 10 Mulligan LilTeichMonster 4 hours
FS: Airblaster Legbag Collection 21 martind martind 5 hours
Muzak, What are you listening to? - 23136137138 4139 Junkshow Spenser 10 hours
Official Airblaster thread - 23175176177 5305 shralp buggravy 13 hours
Dinosaurs Will Die - 23101112 353 G_hunt tightpantswidestance 15 hours