• Latest reply from zkurd
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Official Liquor/Liqueur thread   

zkurd said:  New favorite drink is the negroni.

Great in the winter served up, and great in the summer served on the rocks. The magic is in the vermouth you use. I also tend to jack up the proportion of gin.

2. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

I chose to drink this today
    It went well with bacon wrapped smoked chicken

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Had a blanco blind taste test between Espolon, Don Julio, Patron, Avion, and Milagro. Espolon ($14) was the unanimous winner.

Also had a reposado blind taste test between Volcan de mi Tierra, Muchote, Jose Cuervo Tradicional, Sin Rival, and Don Julio. Volcan de mi Tierra ($18) was the unanimous winner.

Interesting that both times the cheapest tequila won...

4. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

I looked for Espolon yesterday and it is not available in my local shops.

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Happy National Daiquiri Day.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

2 oz white rum (I use Flor de Cana 4 year)
    3/4 oz lime juice
    1/2 oz demerara syrup (2:1, sugar:water)  

6. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Hey Larry got a good recipe for mojitos? A google search would work but your drink recipes always look really good.

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Same as above, except lightly muddle 10 mint leaves with the sugar and lime juice, add the rum, shake with ice, strain into a tall glass with ice, and top with about an ounce of soda.

8. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Thanks! Appreciate it!

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

10. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

never heard of it...How is it straight?

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Very good. Certainly up there on the list of Larry's Favorite Rums. Perhaps a bit straight-forward for someone looking for a some universe of flavors, but it's exactly the sort of rum I'd like to have with me if I ever found myself lost on a sailing boat in the middle of the Caribbean.  

And it makes a damn fine daiquiri.

12. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

we did strawberry mojitos the other night with flor de cana, it was nom

13. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

For how cheap it is, I have no idea why people buy Bacardi. It's got a lot of banana funk going on too. Makes for fun drinks.

And Dave, I bought some new tequila. Don Fernando reposado. Don't know if you've ever had it, but I'll have more on that later (when I'm sober).

edit: And and contra, I just bought some Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Don't know if you're a fan of the Islays, but it makes me happy. I got it over the Lagavulin 16.   

14. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i love islay. i'm a huge fan of lagavulin but have only had the laphroaig 10, which i wasn't crazy for  

bruichladdich is hands down my favorite distillery

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Happy National Tequila Day!

Went down to the liquor store to grab some Corrido Extra Anejo and ended up meeting the owner of the Sin Rival distillery, Rudolfo Gonzalez. Talked, tasted some tequila, and learned a bit. Cool guy.

16. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Attn: zkurd

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Snowgroni-Recipe

How awesome does that sound?

17. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

Attempted to find a nice shop for tequilas while in SF that were within walking distance of my hotel with no luck. Ended up finding these in Lincoln City, OR at a beach liquor store of all places. I'm attempting to get a taste for the nicer tequilas and decided to stock up while outside of Utah. The best we get here is Herradura.

From left to right:
    Avion Reposado - yum (only one I've tried so far)
    Aha Toro Anejo
    Chamucos Anejo
    Chinaco Anejo
    Asombroso Reposado 3 month
    Baluarte Blanco
    Siete Leguas Blanco

The only problem here is that none of these are sold in Utah, so if I find something I love I have to drive out of state because no one ships here.

18. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

The other highlight is finding a cheap bottle of Roco's 91 pt Pinot Noir and the AMAZING 94 pt Penner Ash - Pas de Nom 2009 Pinot Noir. Only 10 barrels of the Pas de Nom were made, so this one really is something to save for a special occasion.

19. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Nice work. Those are all pretty good. The Asombroso is probably going to be the most exciting out of the bunch; very sweet with a lot of wild flowery notes.

My favorite in that particular selection is the 7 Leguas. It's a shame you didn't grab the reposado instead because that is top-notch. I'm also a big fan of Chinaco's line, but their anejo is my least favorite.

Did you just buy these blind or have you had them before?

20. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

"Only 10 Barrels" HAHAHA.

That maybe small production compared to the big Napa houses but that run right there is over a third of the total production of the largest winery we sell.

I'm getting more and more into Oregon Pinot's though, they're really interesting and quite different than what you'd find from all the big coastal Pinot producers down here in California.

21. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

Larry, blind... kind of risked it, but I talked to the store owner a bit before buying each one. I was looking for Casa Noble, but they can't sell it in Oregon and Sarah said no way was I allowed to buy more on this trip. The Aha Toro was only "legalized" there last month, so I'm excited for that one too. I just did a quick look over online now that I got home, and they all look pretty exciting :D

Paul, what is a typical small production run? 10 barrels is only something like 3000 bottles if there is no waste. For a decent sized winery that doesn't sound like too much to me. I'm a wine newb. The only good wines I've had are the Argyle Pinot Noir Spirithouse, and the 200o Argyle Extended Tirage Brut.  

22. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

I just tried a small bit of the Asombroso, and you can really taste the kind of flowery part once the initial peppery feeling. The smell of it is sugary and like a raspberry chocolate truffle, weird. These are going to be yummy :)  

23. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

grantmm said:

nice tv

24. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

3000 bottles is pretty small production in the grand scheme of things. Oregon is along the same level as the Sierra Foothills, where pretty much all our wineries are located. But we have wineries that produce 15-25 different varietals and max out production at about 10 or 15 thousand bottles....and they all consider themselves mid sized wineries. Houses in Napa and other well established wine regions will have runs in the hundreds of thousands of bottles.

25. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

Hundreds of thousands?! Good lord that's a lot of bottles.

contra said:

grantmm said:

nice tv

Free and it even gets 3 channels! Biggest waste of space ever.

26. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

grantmm said: Larry, blind... kind of risked it, but I talked to the store owner a bit before buying each one. I was looking for Casa Noble, but they can't sell it in Oregon and Sarah said no way was I allowed to buy more on this trip. The Aha Toro was only "legalized" there last month, so I'm excited for that one too. I just did a quick look over online now that I got home, and they all look pretty exciting :D

Let me know what you think of them.

27. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

The Aha Toro Anejo is officially a disappointment. It has a very soft smell, but the taste is sharp and bitter/sour. Not what I expected from a higher end anejo. I'll be trying one a day for the rest of the week, so maybe that's just what an anejo tastes like. So far the Reposado's have more life and excitement for me.

28. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I completely agree with you on the Aha Toro. I just didn't want to say anything.

Anejos are good, so don't take that to be indicative of the style.

29. grantmm

grantmm

Loungin Since Mar '10
    South Jordan, UT

Chamucos Anejo is officially delicious. It has a sweeter taste compared to the Aha Toro. No bitter/sour burn either. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the smell is light and inviting. The smell is delicious. Airy, with a toned down chocolately hint compared to the Asombroso. The initial taste is mild and then goes through the quick spicy phase and finishes with the same light, inviting characteristics that I got in the sniffing test.

I have to find more of this and stock up. Easily the best tequila I've tried so far. Have you tried this one yet, Dave or YouKnowLarry?

30. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I have had Chamucos. The distillery it comes from makes some decent tequilas (Muchote, especially). I don't know why, but I don't order it at bars or buy bottles of it. It never struck me as anything particularly special.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Traveling to Utah 9 Wngu LilTeichMonster 3 seconds
FS: Capita Ultrafear 151 13/14 for $150 Bozwreck Nate 151 13/14 for 150$ 4 AIRBLASTER El Duderino 16 minutes
Man's (and woman's) best friend - 23697071 2108 El Duderino El Duderino 20 minutes
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 560 Spenser drjcv 24 minutes
teh Official NHL 2015 thread. - 2 42 F18 F18 26 minutes
The Official 2016 Thread 3 whoisminishred drjcv 26 minutes
Nico interview 1 drjcv drjcv 27 minutes
"Safety Meeting" - 23317318319 9568 Dave99 snowbrdr1 35 minutes
WTB: 2014 Capita Ultrafear 4 cookie629 Tranner 38 minutes
i'm broke board sale, nugs,charlie, random 9 octopus dood 51 minutes