• Latest reply from zkurd
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Official Liquor/Liqueur thread   

Larry: If you put a straw in the top of the bottle and then freeze the fat you can pull out the straw and you have a perfect opening to pour through. Read about this for doing nut infusions

2. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

paulg said:  Dude....I've spent quite some time in England and I have to say, I'm amazed they have Patron at all.

In Greece everyone thinks Jose Cuervo is the only tequila. When my cousin visited he nearly flipped shit when I took him to a tequila bar here in town.

I've talked to some distributors and the consensus is that Europe is a tough market for tequila because they're all wrapped up in Scotch and cognac being the only sipping spirits. That's a lot of history/tradition to try to replace with a humble desert spirit from Mexico.

Apparently Russia loves the shit though.

3. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

youknowlarry said:

paulg said:  Dude....I've spent quite some time in England and I have to say, I'm amazed they have Patron at all.

In Greece everyone thinks Jose Cuervo was the only tequila. When my cousin visited he nearly flipped shit when I took him to a tequila bar here in town.

When I was in England in 2001, I went to some bar and ordered a margarita....I had already had a couple beers and had tipped as you normally do here, which was unheard of in this bar (funny story actually) and they were treating me really well (funny how that happens). Well, anyway, I ordered this drink and the girl behind the bar stared at me and said, "If you can teach me how to make one, you drink free the rest of the night."

Great! I had that on LOCK.

"First thing you need is Tequila"

"Okay.......What's that?"

4. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

boy said:  Larry: If you put a straw in the top of the bottle and then freeze the fat you can pull out the straw and you have a perfect opening to pour through. Read about this for doing nut infusions

Do you have a link where you read this? I'd be curious to see other processes.

edit: I just realized you're probably talking about beer, but I'm still interested.  

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

paulg said:

youknowlarry said:

In Greece everyone thinks Jose Cuervo was the only tequila. When my cousin visited he nearly flipped shit when I took him to a tequila bar here in town.

When I was in England in 2001, I went to some bar and ordered a margarita....I had already had a couple beers and had tipped as you normally do here, which was unheard of in this bar (funny story actually) and they were treating me really well (funny how that happens). Well, anyway, I ordered this drink and the girl behind the bar stared at me and said, "If you can teach me how to make one, you drink free the rest of the night."
    Great! I had that on LOCK.
    "First thing you need is Tequila"
    "Okay.......What's that?"

Haha. Kind of similar to when I ordered a mint julep in this village in central Greece. All they had was Jack Daniel's, but they made it anyway. It obviously wasn't as good as it may have been with some good bourbon, but they loved it. Funny thing is there is no character or combination of characters in the Greek alphabet to replicate the sound of the letter "j". Imagine a drunk American kid trying to teach a bunch of drunk Greeks how to say "julep". The closest they came was "tzoulep".

Fun night.  

6. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

In all fairness to this girl, she knew of tequila and had had tequila. When she asked what it was, she later explained, she was assuming there was some European equivalent that she could use in it's place. But she literally asked me what it was just like that and my jaw dropped onto the bar. Too funny.

Ended up being a really fun night as well.

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Local tequila bar is celebrating the life of Don Julio Gonzalez (RIP) during the month of July (hehehe...Julio...get it?)

Anyway, these are the tequilas we occupied ourselves with tonight.

Top shelf: 1942 anejo and blanco.
    Middle: reposado and anejo
    Bottom: Real

After trying all of them, I would say the 1942 is my favorite, followed by the Real, the reposado, the anejo, and the blanco (a distant last). It's been a while since I've had any Don Julio tequilas since there are far more interesting tequilas out there for a lot less cost, but it was nice to try everything again.

8. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

my bro has all 3 of those shelves (minus the blanco)..love the 1942..After 4 1/2 months of wicked hours in North Alberta tarsands, I am free to leave on Friday...The '42 will be the first shot I have when I hit his place in Edmonton..

Long Live don Julio....or "don Tzoulio" in Greece....or maybe not because it's not really a "j"....

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

You know, Dave, I also tried a new spirit called raicilla. It's essentially tequila's version of moonshine (comes from around Puerto Vallarta). Super sweet on the tip of the tongue, then it just disappears into a cloud of huge smoke and earth. Probably the smokiest spirit I've ever tried.

About 90 proof for this particular bottle, which isn't yet available for sale in the United States.

10. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

ive been drinking anejo sailor silver jerryo all night. suck it bitches.

11. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

@Larry, here is the article. Pretty good step by step process. Fat Washing

12. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

Don Julio has been my tequila of choice since my tequila "coming of age" in Cabo.
    Recommend me some that are better/cheaper, please.

13. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Thanks, Boy. Bookmarked for future reference.

Duhg, I'm not sure what you have available to you on the east coast, so I'll just shoot out some stuff that you can order if you want.

Blanco (Don Julio = $50)
    - Fortaleza ($50): the best blanco around, as far as I'm concerned. Pure agave and earth.
    - Siete Leguas ($37): a close runner-up. Earthy and spicy.
    - Sin Rival ($45): a beautifully smooth, sweet, and pure tequila; this is the tequila I use to convert tequila haters.
    - Corrido ($40): a bit fruity with some spice. And you get a free guitar pick.
    - Casa Noble ($40): The gold standard for blancos in the sub-$50 range. Readily available pretty much anywhere.

Reposado (Don Julio = $50)
    - Muchote ($25): absolutely love this reposado. Represents, to me, what drinking tequila should be about. Ugly bottle.
    - Volcan de mi Tierra ($18): I've talked about this one a lot already.
    - Sin Rival ($45): Still sweet like the blanco, but some dryness and complexity introduced through wood aging.
    - Corrido ($38): Butter!
    - Ocho ($55): an agave lover's reposado. Not quite as woody as one might expect.
    - Chinaco ($50): an old friend of mine. Fresh wood with caramel, vanilla, and sweet agave.

Anejo (Don Julio = $55)
    - El Gran Viejo ($60): now, this is a three-year tequila. Should be at least twice the price. Very nice agave presentation for something aged that long.
    - Fortaleza ($75): perfection has its price.
    - Ocho ($65): One of my favorite anejos, because it develops more like a reposado.

I guess if you narrowed it down to what sort of thing interests you I'd try to narrow down the options. That's really just the tip of the iceberg.

14. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

Gracias, mi amigo.

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Sure thing. Just out of curiosity, do you usually go for a blanco or one of the aged varieties?

16. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

how does espolon stack up? poorly i'm sure. but it's cheap and i love it

17. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Interesting you should ask. I was just looking at my Espolon bottle this morning thinking about how long it's been since I've had some (a while). It was also on manager's special at my grocery store today ($14/bottle). So, thanks to you, I'm having a glass right now.

Espolon blanco is one of those tequilas I have to have around at all times. It's a solid tequila at a stupid price, so there's a lot to like. However, it doesn't really compare to some of the more "premium" items I listed for Duhg. First, the agave presence is pretty low. This is a dry, dry tequila. You get a bit of sweetness on the tip of the tongue, but it fades pretty quickly. It's also very peppery, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not balanced against the agave the way I'd like it to be. I think the main issue with this tequila is how thin it is in the mouth. I'm not sure what their distillation method is now, but there is very little body to carry some of those bottom-end flavors.

But, when you're paying $15-20/bottle, you can't beat it. It's excellent in cocktails without having to fork out serious coin for a higher-end tequila. It's also got a lot of herbal characteristics that I enjoy. The earth and spice on the mid-palate just kind of fade into a finish of soft dill and agave, which is a really pleasant combination.

Overall, I'd never turn it down, but it just doesn't have the legs to keep up with the big dogs.  

18. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Thanks. I haven't had anything better for the price but intend eventually to try something premium

19. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Corrido is always doing tasting events in Colorado. You should get up to Denver or Boulder for one some time. The extra anejo is fantastic, and it can't cost more than whatever 18-year swill you drink from William Wallace's jock strap.

20. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

SoulHouse Project
    Loungin Since Aug '09

I love tequila

That's all......

21. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

SoulHouse Project
    Loungin Since Aug '09

hey wait.....not all

Hey Larry I'm gonna be down in the greater SD area mid September for a couple of weeks with the lady and the baby. I got my best bud from HS who lives down there as well.

Maybe we can finally do those curls at the bar over some good tequila??  

22. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Oh man. You let me know when you'll be here and I'll make something happen.

Also, the Spirits of Mexico event will be in Old Town on September 15. If you love tequila, you can't miss it.

http://www.thespiritsofmexico.com/main-tasting-event

23. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

SoulHouse Project
    Loungin Since Aug '09

Why yes I will be.......

It's a date.

24. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

I get a strong cracked black pepper taste don Julio that I really like. I also really like correlago blue. Getting more into whiskey though lately as most bars in my area have 5x the whiskey optio g as they do tequila.

25. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

One thing I am just not into though is cheaper gold tequilas. They always seem to have some part of lime or oak that is far too strong and covers up the true flavors I really want

26. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

youknowlarry said: Sure thing. Just out of curiosity, do you usually go for a blanco or one of the aged varieties?

I usually have a bottle of blanco for making margaritas and a bottle of anejo for sipping.

27. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

The anejo is rather good. I actually prefer the reposado, but I generally don't like anejos much anyway.

28. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

youknowlarry said: The anejo is rather good. I actually prefer the reposado, but I generally don't like anejos much anyway.

Thanks. I think I'll keep it as my "house brand". I like the peppery flavor of the blanco and get it in the 1.75l bottles for a very good price.

29. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Fattyboomboom

New favorite drink is the negroni.

30. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

boy said:  One thing I am just not into though is cheaper gold tequilas. They always seem to have some part of lime or oak that is far too strong and covers up the true flavors I really want

You would like Ocho reposado.

Duhg said: Thanks. I think I'll keep it as my "house brand". I like the peppery flavor of the blanco and get it in the 1.75l bottles for a very good price.

If you ever see Espolon around somewhere, give it a try.

I'll do a blind blanco taste test with some friends this weekend. I'm interested to see how Don Julio and Espolon rank, especially since the Don Julio is four times the price.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
FS: 2013 Burton Genesis EST, WHT size M 4 MikeHoncho awd1105 37 minutes
WTB: 2014 BSOD 156 2 Tranner Harpoon 41 minutes
Oakley Prizm Lenses 17 Skully78 EMHM00 58 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 2391011 326 awd1105 lou skannon 1 hour
FS: Capita Unorthadox 158 SOLD 6 mh8701 illocon 1 hour
The Official 2016 Thread - 2345 140 whoisminishred illocon 1 hour