• 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Official Liquor/Liqueur thread   

Wait!

How can you hate Bourbon? That's like....hating oxygen.

2. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

contra said:  i am resigned to hating it

This is the sort of thought process that caused 9/11.

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Had a potluck yesterday and got trucked on Aviations after dinner. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

4. Apache Runner

Apache Runner

Loungin Since Mar '10
    The Westest Place in Texas

Not sure if it's been brought up in this thread yet, but I've recently started drinking Tito's Handmamde Vodka distilled in Austin Texas.

I love the stuff, I'll even drink it straight. This is from a prefered whiskey drinker, I hated vodka for the most part until I had this stuff, and it's pretty cheap if you're getting it from anywhere close to Austin.

5. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

I tried Tito's a few years ago. I think it was bought at a Trader Joe's. From what I remember it wasn't bad, but I was probably 18-19 at the time so what did I know?

6. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I'm not a vodka drinker at all, but I have to keep some around for the dummies that drink it. The only kind I have is a handle of Tito's tucked away under my bar.

Here's some Tito's fat-washed in bacon fat as an added bonus:

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

8. Apache Runner

Apache Runner

Loungin Since Mar '10
    The Westest Place in Texas

I really don't know shit about fuck, I just like Jack Daniels and Tito's, other than that I'm not a liquor guy.

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

apache-runner said: I just like Jack Daniels

Take it easy, guy. There's no need to actively attempt to discredit your own opinion by saying shit like that.

10. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

youknowlarry said: I'm not a vodka drinker at all, but I have to keep some around for the dummies that drink it. The only kind I have is a handle of Tito's tucked away under my bar.

first time vodka's ever sounded appealing

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Hey, every ingredient has a purpose. Vodka's are few and far between. I even have a bottle of sour apple Puckers in my bar somewhere.

12. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

youknowlarry said: I'm not a vodka drinker at all, but I have to keep some around for the dummies that drink it. The only kind I have is a handle of Tito's tucked away under my bar.

I love Bloody's Larry, how does one fat-wash vodka in bacon fat? I'd like to try it.

13. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

First, you have to find a really good, smoky bacon. The more the smoke, the better, since that's the main flavor that's going to come out. If you just get store brand crap from your local freezer section the solution will come out salty and unappealing. I think I spent $15/pound on the bacon I used, to give you a starting point. Just go to a butcher and smell all their bacon. Take whatever is smokiest.

Then you gotta cook your bacon. I would recommend you cook it in a way that makes it easiest to collect grease (obviously). I cooked mine on a griddle that drains into a grease trough. For 8 oz of vodka, you're going to need about 0.5 oz of liquid fat (three thick pieces should yield that).

Once you have your fat, throw it into a mason jar along with your vodka, give it a shake, and let it sit for four hours out on your counter. After the four hours are up, throw it in the freezer for two hours. After two hours in the chiller the fat will have solidified at the top of the vodka. Take a spoon, break through the top layer of fat, and fine (through a cheesecloth even) the liquid into another container. The idea is to have vodka that tastes like bacon smoke, not vodka with bacon fat floating around in it.

From there, use it however you see fit. If you want a recipe for my Bloody Mary mix, I can post that too. But I've found that people are pretty defensive about their personal Bloody Mary's; much like their momma's meatloaf, no one else's stacks up.  

14. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Happy Mint Julep Day, fellow alcoholics!

Bust out the bourbon, crushed ice, and give your mint a good spank on the ass. Who has a good recipe?

15. Mr_Tidbit

Mr_Tidbit

Loungin Since Sep '09
    SLC, @Mr_Tidbit

Here is the one I've used for years for our Derby Mint Juleps

Put 4 Shots of bourbon in a bowl then add 40 fresh mint leaves and toss it in the fridge. The longer you let it sit, the better. I often let it sit over night but if you just have an hour of so you'll be fine.

While the mint "marinates" make a cup of simple syrup (1 cup Sugar boiled in one cup of water). Toss that in the fridge to cool as well.

Lay out a couple of paper towels and pull the mint leaves out of the bowl and place on the paper towel. Roll the towel up with and wring out the bourbon that the leaves have soaked up back into the bowl. Repeat several times.

Add the 4 shots to 6 cups of bourbon, add the 1 cup of simple syrup and put in the fridge to cool.

Place a couple of fresh mint leaves in the bottom of a glass and muddle then fill to the brim with ice, we like to swing by Sonic and buy a bag of their ice. Pour the mix over ice and enjoy.  

Edit:

Or you can buy a bottle of this

When I got to Kentucky to visit my grandparents I usually pick up a bottle or two and bring them home. It's very good just over ice... They claim they only sell it in Kentucky, but I'm sure you could get a liquor store to order you a bottle or buy one online.  

16. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I have tried this Julep marinade you speak of. It doesn't appeal to me because the alcohol strips out the chlorophyll from the leaves, which gives it a bitter twang on the finish.

Here's how I made mine tonight.

2 oz bourbon
    3/8 oz rich syrup (2:1 sugar and water)
    3 mint sprigs

Put syrup in bottom of glass. Take handful of mint leaves and give it a good, hard spank between your palms to release aromatics. Place leaves in bottom of glass. Fill glass halfway with crushed ice and one ounce of bourbon. Stir until everything is well incorporated. Add the rest of the bourbon and ice. Float of cognac on the top is optional if you're feeling extra ostentatious.

17. RideTimeless

RideTimeless

Loungin Since Sep '10
    10x10 box...

I like Vodka...I remember having a short post about Russian Standard Platinum, which is one of the cleanest, flavorless, and smoothest Vodka I've tried. I used to be a Belvedere and Goose drinker, but after discovering Tito's it's the best bang for the buck. Handle for $30, best price I found.

If I get some time, I'll try some smokey Vodka in a Bloody Mary. I tried some different mixes, but I like this one that's pre-made:

It has some density to it vs other ones are watered down...not watered down, but watery/less dense. This one, to me just has great flavor all mixed in. I still add some Tabasco, red pepper flakes, and lime to taste though.

Also have some Knob Creek to try in a Mint Julep.

18. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

As far as mixes go, the Dr. Swami & Bone Daddy's line is pretty decent. Obviously freshly made is better than not, but it's good in a pinch.

19. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

Sister's BF brought back some Żubrówka from Poland. It's quite delicious with apple juice.

20. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Made some Sangria and even invented (I think) an Aviation variant for Father's Day over the weekend.

Flight School Fizz
    2 oz Beefeater gin
    3/4 oz lemon juice
    1/2 oz maraschino liqueur
    1/4 oz creme de violette
    1/4 oz rich simply syrup (2:1 sugar and water)

Shake on ice. Strain over ice in a collins glass. Top with lavender soda.

Also, happy national Martini Day. (the liquor holidays are piling up)

21. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

22. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Anybody in here (specifically you northern California folk) have a chance to try Uncle Val's gin? Fairly new offering from 35 Maple Street. I keep hearing really fantastic things about it, and now I'm obsessing over finding a bottle.

23. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i'm going to try your bacon vodka thing soon

24. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

You jonesin' for a bacon Bloody Mary? Or you just like to have bacon-flavored ingredients lying around because it's fucking manly.

25. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i'm not a big bloody mary fan, so i guess it's the latter.

26. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Well in that case, if you want to make a drink, just think "breakfast". Lemon juice, maple syrup, chocolate (creme de cacao or chocolate bitters), berries, cherries, eggs...

Shouldn't be too difficult. The slight smoke in the vodka is pretty intoxicating.

27. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

The Monocle (named so because my friend said she felt aristocratic while drinking it)

2 oz Flor de Caña Extra Dry
    1 oz Lillet blanc
    1/3 oz Marie Brizard creme de cacao (white)
    1 dash Regan's orange bitters
    1 dash Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters

Stir with ice. Strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with a quarter-sized lemon twist over top.

"Exquisite."

28. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

Did a bit of shopping in Germany and London. YAY. #boozytheclown

29. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Poor Euros and your shit tequila selection :(

30. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Dude....I've spent quite some time in England and I have to say, I'm amazed they have Patron at all.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
BOA feedback 30 ecod Krazylegz1485 1 hour
The Official Seattle Thread - 23252627 781 Buffalo Swatter 27 JLD 4 hours
Random shred news and etc... - 23515253 1583 Junkshow JLD 4 hours
I`m going fishing - 23252627 790 Dave99 Qurph 5 hours
Quick Powder Trip Thoughts? 6 Lionel Hutz kaston 7 hours
Ze Record Collecting thread. 14 AZAspades AZAspades 8 hours
ultrafear 4 airplaneinmysoup Spenser 9 hours
Man's (and woman's) best friend - 23686970 2079 El Duderino Spenser 9 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23851852853 25562 TahoeChappy 7trees 10 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23838485 2521 whoisminishred ihriep 13 hours