butholz

Official Liquor/Liqueur thread   

Not that one.

4. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

My dad just picked up another bottle of blue label. I don't like scotch but this was so smooth I didn't really mind it. I planned on getting him a a bottle for his bday but now he won't need another by then. So I'm loooking for suggestions.
    He loves cognac but prefers this blue label over most of what he currently has. Is there a better tasting scotch than this, in your opinions?
    Any really good cognac suggestions? He has a few bottles of XO he likes but hasn't found one he loves.

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

How much do you want to spend? $150?

6. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

I'd like to stay under $200
    I know nothing about liquor, but I do relaize there are different types of scotch and cognacs right? So I'm not sure what type he would like.

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

That Remy Martin 1738 in the background of the picture I posted seems to impress scotch drinkers. It was only like $60 too.

8. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

Thanks, I'll look into it.
    It looks familiar though I think we may have a bottle.

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Well if he likes Blue Label you should get him a bottle of Gold Label. 90% of the quality at 50% of the price.

In all seriousness, do you know of anything else he likes? Scotch and cognac aren't that similar save for the fact they're both aged in wood for a long time. Any other specific brands he enjoys?

...how does he feel about tequila?

10. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Variety is a spice of life. It doesn't have to be super expensive or elite. It can just be different or harder to find in your area. For instance the whiskey from Park City from the Whiskey thread is really hard to find in Oregon. Might be harder to do in CO since they have a far better distribution network where you can find almost anything.

11. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

He's not a tequilla guy.
    I've got no idea what brands he prefers. I should check out what he has later on to give me a better idea.

12. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

joka17wild said:  
    He loves cognac but prefers this blue label over most of what he currently has. Is there a better tasting scotch than this, in your opinions?

blue label is about the label. imo you can easily find a better single malt for well under $100

13. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

My mom is a big fan of the Bloody Mary, so I made a special batch for her birthday. I fat washed the vodka with applewood smoked bacon, among other things.

14. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

This gave me lulz.....hit a little close to home as well:

15. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

paulg said:  This gave me lulz.....hit a little close to home as well:

haha

16. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

I make a mean Kangaroo if I say so myself.

17. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Made a sorta simple syrup this weekend with sugar and agave nectar, which I then added jalapeño and cilantro to as it cooled. Stuck it in the fridge for a few hours, strained the mixture, added a bunch of fresh lime juice, mixed in some tequila and served it in a glass rimmed with a salt/sugar mixture. Pretty damn good actually. Not spicy really, but definitely had a jalapeño taste and the cilantro added just a teensy bit of grassiness. I was stoked with how well they turned out.

18. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

sounds great

19. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Here's the recipe for you:

4.5 cups of water
    3/4 cup of sugar
    1/2 cup of Agave Nectar
    1 cup of chopped cilantro
    2 large Jalapeño, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1.5 cups of lime juice

Combine the water, sugar (the larger portion not the smaller one) and agave nectar and bring them to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro and jalapeño. Let sit for 30 minutes then pour the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours....or until it's cold.

The small portion of sugar and salt are for the rim of your glass....you can play with the mixture to suit your taste. Kosher salt works best, in my opinion, for rimming glasses. To rim the glass, pour the sugar/salt mixture onto a small plate, rub a lime along the rim of the glass and dip it into the mixture. It's a simple process....and I'm amazed at how shocked people are when I do it, since for whatever reason they think it's more complicated than it is.

Strain the jalapeño/cilantro mixture and toss the solid stuff. Mix the liquid with the lime juice. Now, it's ready for the tequila....I treated it like a margarita and used a nice silver but you could probably use whatever you like. I went with equal parts jalapeño lime mix to tequila but again, make 'em as strong as you like.

I found the cilantro flavor to be really, really subtle so if cilantro is your bag, you may want to up the dosage of that. I used three small jalapeños as I couldn't get big ones and the flavor from them was huge.

Garnish with a lime or a sprig of cilantro.

Repeat as necessary.  

20. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

I'd hit that.

21. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

done.
    Loungin Since Aug '09

zkurd said:  I'd hit that.

Paul's spicy tequila drink....the Most Interesting Man in the World.....or both??

Btw, when I did a quick Wiki lookup to refresh myself on that actor's name, it said that since the ad campaign started in 2006 that sales of Dos Equis have TRIPLED in Canaduh.

I'd like to personally thank all of you Loungers to the North for your contributions....

22. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

paulg said: Here's the recipe for you:
    4.5 cups of water
    3/4 cup of sugar
    1/2 cup of Agave Nectar
    1 cup of chopped cilantro
    2 large Jalapeño, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1.5 cups of lime juice
    Combine the water, sugar (the larger portion not the smaller one) and agave nectar and bring them to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro and jalapeño. Let sit for 30 minutes then pour the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours....or until it's cold.
    The small portion of sugar and salt are for the rim of your glass....you can play with the mixture to suit your taste. Kosher salt works best, in my opinion, for rimming glasses. To rim the glass, pour the sugar/salt mixture onto a small plate, rub a lime along the rim of the glass and dip it into the mixture. It's a simple process....and I'm amazed at how shocked people are when I do it, since for whatever reason they think it's more complicated than it is.
    Strain the jalapeño/cilantro mixture and toss the solid stuff. Mix the liquid with the lime juice. Now, it's ready for the tequila....I treated it like a margarita and used a nice silver but you could probably use whatever you like. I went with equal parts jalapeño lime mix to tequila but again, make 'em as strong as you like.
    I found the cilantro flavor to be really, really subtle so if cilantro is your bag, you may want to up the dosage of that. I used three small jalapeños as I couldn't get big ones and the flavor from them was huge.
    Garnish with a lime or a sprig of cilantro.
    Repeat as necessary.  

Sounds like more of a mix than a syrup. You'd have better luck if you made it a liqueur; alcohol is better at pulling flavor oils out of whatever you're infusing than water is.

23. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Flan de Volcan

1 1/2 oz Volcan de mi Tierra anejo tequila
    3/4 oz Carpano Antica vermouth
    1/4 oz biscotti liqueur
    2 dashes mole bitters

It's complex, so I like to serve it over a big chunk of ice. Garnish with a flamed orange zest.

24. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Had a poorly made Old Fashioned on Saturday, unimpressed. I think I need Larry to make me one & mail it so I have a benchmark for all others.

25. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I would, but as soon as alcohol crosses the Utah border it turns to dust.

:(

The easiest/cheapest way to get a proper old fashioned is to make it yourself. Very simple, very fast, and very rewarding. Plus you can adjust it to your own tastes.

26. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

..I had one made with Knob Creek 100proof and zest friday. I liked it, but I lack references to compare.

it sure got me moar buzzed.

27. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

That particular bourbon is a good showing for Knob Creek and priced to sell, but not one of my favorites. If you like high proof bourbon, my favorite is probably Noah's Mill. It will knock you on your butt and follow it up with a big ol' kiss to make up for it.

28. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

old fashioned w rye
    bourbon can gtfo

29. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

You can make an old fashioned with gin for all I care, but don't you dare talk about bourbon that way.

30. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i am resigned to hating it

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2015 thread - 23747576 2271 whoisminishred Bielawski 19 minutes
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23841842843 25272 TahoeChappy zkurd 26 minutes
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23224225226 6766 JungleLarry zkurd 31 minutes
beer is good - 23636465 1938 TahoeChappy YouKnowLarry 48 minutes
Boards for ppl with ladybits 24 ShredBettyZoe EMHM00 1 hour
Help a fellow ELer/Teacher win $1500 4 bboytommy Dave99 2 hours
Official Motorcycle thread - 23424344 1291 red baron red baron 2 hours
New board to round out the quiver? 18 lytic buggravy 2 hours
SOCAL 6-6-6: It's the number of the Beast! Muhahaha - 23678 229 mcbain hana24 3 hours
Doc, Ripitup - 2 31 geoffthemover milutinho 4 hours