• 3 Members Subscribed To Topic

Tags:

take me to the bottom
  1. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>no snowboarding

Sierra bankruptcy update....   

big_matt said: Is there a big difference in prices between online and local store in the US? Over here it's the same price whether you get it online or in a shop, so it's really easy to support your local store. If I could get stuff online here much cheaper it would be a difficult decision - mind you I would love to pay US local store prices than what I pay here now!

the only difference is usually the local sales tax you'd have to pay in a brick and mortar. unless shipping is to the same state as the online store is in, there's no sales tax. otherwise, it's msrp which is the same all through  

2. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

youknowlarry said: We all have our issues. There are plenty of people who think Greed gets dealt his fair share, but I don't think that's true. I know him personally, have ridden with him on a number of occasions, and he's been a gracious host when I've needed a place to crash in the mountains. He's good people despite what many of you think. I don't agree with how he's handled some situations, but otherwise I'm glad to have known him.

AGreed to disaGreed.  

3. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

alexxx said:

big_matt said: Is there a big difference in prices between online and local store in the US? Over here it's the same price whether you get it online or in a shop, so it's really easy to support your local store. If I could get stuff online here much cheaper it would be a difficult decision - mind you I would love to pay US local store prices than what I pay here now!

the only difference is usually the local sales tax you'd have to pay in a brick and mortar. unless shipping is to the same state as the online store is in, there's no sales tax. otherwise, it's msrp which is the same all through  

what, you mean you don't pay your use tax?

4. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>no snowboarding

i'll be damned

5. ranger

ranger

Loungin Since Oct '09
    beach

serraph said:

youknowlarry said: We all have our issues. There are plenty of people who think Greed gets dealt his fair share, but I don't think that's true. I know him personally, have ridden with him on a number of occasions, and he's been a gracious host when I've needed a place to crash in the mountains. He's good people despite what many of you think. I don't agree with how he's handled some situations, but otherwise I'm glad to have known him.

AGreed to disaGreed.  

2nd that

6. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Yes, but unlike Serraph, no one likes you so your opinion doesn't really matter.

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

PiedPiper

Loungin Since Sep '10

looks like mr. harrosh (the former owner of sierra/mam) and at least one former employee are trying their hand at producing hardgoods and softgoods. i wonder which shop in their right mind would pick this brand up knowing who the puppet master is behind the company.

https://www.facebook.com/ThriveSnowboards

http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/

Registrant:
    michael harrosh
    920 Hillview Ct
    milpitas, California 95035
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: THRIVESNOWBOARDS.COM
    Created on: 16-Jun-10
    Expires on: 16-Jun-12
    Last Updated on: 27-Oct-11

Administrative Contact:
    harrosh, michael
    920 Hillview Ct
    United States
    (415) 497-9906

Technical Contact:
    harrosh, michael
    920 Hillview Ct
    United States
    (415) 497-9906

8. diviesti

diviesti

Loungin Since Sep '10
    SLC

piedpiper said: looks like mr. harrosh (the former owner of sierra/mam) and at least one former employee are trying their hand at producing hardgoods and softgoods. i wonder which shop in their right mind would pick this brand up knowing who the puppet master is behind the company.
    https://www.facebook.com/ThriveSnowboards
    Registrant:
    michael harrosh
    920 Hillview Ct
    United States
    Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: THRIVESNOWBOARDS.COM
    Created on: 16-Jun-10
    Expires on: 16-Jun-12
    Last Updated on: 27-Oct-11
    Administrative Contact:
    harrosh, michael
    920 Hillview Ct
    United States
    (415) 497-9906
    Technical Contact:
    harrosh, michael
    920 Hillview Ct
    United States
    (415) 497-9906

I wonder what his vendor agreement will look like?

9. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

a bunch of black Sharpie marks scribbled on notebook paper.

10. Paul

Paul

Loungin Since Oct '09
    SaskBerta

youknowlarry said: Yes, but unlike Serraph, no one likes you so your opinion doesn't really matter.

hahaha missed that the first time

11. chucky

chucky

Loungin Since Jan '10

Unsurprisingly I suppose, the Thrive snowboard logo and design is just as crappy as all that dodgy Sierra junk.

Dude's got shit awful taste.

12. User has not uploaded an avatar

PiedPiper

Loungin Since Sep '10

seems that their joke of a site has finally dropped and you can now purchase a piece of shit no-name snowboard for as little as $499, and even join their badass community!

13. Nose Dradamous

Nose Dradamous

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Emerald City

Dougs been at Hood all summer riding them.

14. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

piedpiper said: seems that their joke of a site has finally dropped and you can now purchase a piece of shit no-name snowboard for as little as $499, and even join their badass community!

Fuck me, they sure like that reverse crew graphic. 

15. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

barf, hope the company "thrives"

16. Parker

Parker

$$$
    Loungin Since Sep '09
    MOD

anyone know where they are made

17. Nose Dradamous

Nose Dradamous

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Emerald City

Same place as Nitro. Playmaker.

18. cobrasdh

cobrasdh

Loungin Since Oct '09

so is thrive just the new "sierra"?

19. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Same Typeface.
    Same "Team".
    Same lame-o graphics that some suit wanted to be "cool"/"hip"/"edgy"/"extreme"/"strong" with a touch of "tasteful"/"natural"/"accessible"

So, it suuuuure looks that way.
    I'm sure the boards ride fine, I just don't care.  

20. User has not uploaded an avatar

PiedPiper

Loungin Since Sep '10

nose, do you know if they are planning to try to retail all on their own or are they going to try to get into shops too? it just seems weird to me after all this mess went down that mike thinks that retailers will pick them up. the market seems pretty oversaturated as it is without another no name brand trying to stake its claim now too. especially one backed by this guy.

21. Nose Dradamous

Nose Dradamous

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Emerald City

I know those guys "seem" like bad guys on here, but I/we have nothing but good for Mike and his team. Those guys did us nothing but solids from our day one in business. Yea, brash, bold, against the grain but honestly, that's what I liked about them. Marched their own rules, but had respect. Anyway...I'm not on the bashing tip. Some of the Sierra team stuck together and had previously been working on a Thrive like model with the Sierra brand. Once that disappeared they regrouped and this is it. During the Sierra days they did plenty of co-labs and private label stuff, but where told how they could sell it. Now with Thrive, the gloves are off and they can have at it anyway they want selling with a discounted pricing structure and what not. They community they built as Sierra was mind blowing, as dumb as some of the people were on there but still you got to hand it to them, there was a quarter of a million people signed up to that shit, paying attention everyday, trying to win a free board at 3pm. The reach they had with the community was crazy. What's EL, 3,000 people? Yea. And of course I prefer the EL community so dont blaze me up. Anyway, best of luck to them. No team, reps, distro, a online discount web site, and limited models of decks is a tough sell. But Mikes a sharp mother fucker and he's got plenty of rabbits left in his hat.

22. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Meh, I'm not a hustle knocker, I just think their boards are boring.

I mean every company has their park board(s), their all arounder(s), and their charger(s) and I'll bet, while people will have their preferences, the board they ride, if sized appropriately will make a fine shredding stick.

The thing I can't shake is my own perception. When I think of the company, I think of the 250K (with about 3-4K of exceptions) screaming at each other over point counts and asking about how to go really fast on this snowboard vs this one and getting caught up in giveaways (I was guilty of the last one as early as last fucking month and had to checkmyself). When I add all that shit together I'm just like, fuckingYUCK. I actually don't really know much about the other business-y Sierra did/has done.

Doug is a really nice guy...so good luck to him if he has some stake in the company.  

23. movielife814

movielife814

Loungin Since Aug '09
    erie, PA

their shit is brutal.... fuck they should do a colab with nope., they can call it the "shitstain".

24. cobrasdh

cobrasdh

Loungin Since Oct '09

phony_stark said: Same Typeface.
    Same "Team".
    Same lame-o graphics that some suit wanted to be "cool"/"hip"/"edgy"/"extreme"/"strong" with a touch of "tasteful"/"natural"/"accessible"
    So, it suuuuure looks that way.
    I'm sure the boards ride fine, I just don't care.  

I probably will try them out. I am not going to lie my reverse crew is one of the best boards I have ridden. After all it is just a rebranded burton.

25. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

fuck sierra, mike, thrive, doug and whoever the fuck else has worked for them.

26. DougFagel

DougFagel

Loungin Since Sep '12
    Truckee, CA

Dear EL Crew,

I am not going to try to change people opinions, all of you have more than earned your right to share your thoughts and points of view. For sure, some of the things that went down in the past did suck and it sucked for all parties involved. At the end of the day it really just comes down to the importance of going snowboarding and keeping snowboarding alive and growing.

I would just like to share a little bit of what we are doing at Thrive Snowboards and why we have gone into business:
    --

Thrive Snowboards is a company focused on Community, Coaching & Design.

Community - We have launched a new online snowboard community that is focused on connecting out on the hill with our fellow riders. We will be starting our Community Tour this fall. We look forward to riding with as many people as possible, no matter what gear they are on!

Coaching - Thrive will be developing a library of rider resources that will be free to public to help make snowboarding inclusive and accessible. Yes, I may be a bit of a nerd but I love sharing my passion with any one that wants to get out on the hill and shred. Currently we are working with a number of snowboard teams and resorts to help connect people to there snowboard progression. We will be releasing new snowboard videos regularly as we get into our first season of operation.

Design - Our product lineup consists of Snowboards, Outerwear, Bags and Apparel. I am personally engineering the shapes and construction of the boards. We have three boards in the line right now and are working on releasing our first women's board this winter. All the boards are True Twin boards with a default stance that is closer to what people are actually going to ride and and more inserts so that a rider can actually set there stance centered, 14 packs with five insert locations at each binding. We have a range of camber and rocker profiles that are designed from using the default stance as the key to creating a board the truly rides balanced both directions, regular and goofy. The Renegade (True Twin Hybrid Rocker) and Relentless (True Twin Camber) are both blunt nosed to reduce the swing weight and tied with the long effective edge allow the boards to be ridden a touch smaller. The core profiling and carbon supports creates quick edge to edge performance and strong edge hold while still allowing for a flex pattern that promotes float in the powder. Our Accomplice is a Freestyle Jib board with a predictable continuous Rocker, but a flex pattern that allows it to hold an edge at high speeds. These boards are getting great reviews, but I would love to get as many people on them as possible as we work to continue to improve the lineup.

"Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend or a meaningful day."

- Dalai Lama

I have a ton of respect for those that have paved the way and I am excited for how our sports, industry and lifestyle will continue to progress in the future.

Sincerely,

Doug Fagel
    President of Thrive Snowboards

27. Bdawg

Bdawg

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Take a bath hippy

Hahahahaha

28. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

Sounds like spam to me. Probably should delete...

29. Datgetright

Datgetright

Loungin Since Nov '09
    http://hiddenmaterial.com/

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

30. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

dougfagel said: Dear EL Crew,
    I am not going to try to change people opinions, all of you have more than earned your right to share your thoughts and points of view. For sure, some of the things that went down in the past did suck and it sucked for all parties involved. At the end of the day it really just comes down to the importance of going snowboarding and keeping snowboarding alive and growing.
    I would just like to share a little bit of what we are doing at Thrive Snowboards and why we have gone into business:
    --
    Thrive Snowboards is a company focused on Community, Coaching & Design.
    Community - We have launched a new online snowboard community that is focused on connecting out on the hill with our fellow riders. We will be starting our Community Tour this fall. We look forward to riding with as many people as possible, no matter what gear they are on!
    Coaching - Thrive will be developing a library of rider resources that will be free to public to help make snowboarding inclusive and accessible. Yes, I may be a bit of a nerd but I love sharing my passion with any one that wants to get out on the hill and shred. Currently we are working with a number of snowboard teams and resorts to help connect people to there snowboard progression. We will be releasing new snowboard videos regularly as we get into our first season of operation.
    Design - Our product lineup consists of Snowboards, Outerwear, Bags and Apparel. I am personally engineering the shapes and construction of the boards. We have three boards in the line right now and are working on releasing our first women's board this winter. All the boards are True Twin boards with a default stance that is closer to what people are actually going to ride and and more inserts so that a rider can actually set there stance centered, 14 packs with five insert locations at each binding. We have a range of camber and rocker profiles that are designed from using the default stance as the key to creating a board the truly rides balanced both directions, regular and goofy. The Renegade (True Twin Hybrid Rocker) and Relentless (True Twin Camber) are both blunt nosed to reduce the swing weight and tied with the long effective edge allow the boards to be ridden a touch smaller. The core profiling and carbon supports creates quick edge to edge performance and strong edge hold while still allowing for a flex pattern that promotes float in the powder. Our Accomplice is a Freestyle Jib board with a predictable continuous Rocker, but a flex pattern that allows it to hold an edge at high speeds. These boards are getting great reviews, but I would love to get as many people on them as possible as we work to continue to improve the lineup.
    "Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend or a meaningful day."
    - Dalai Lama
    I have a ton of respect for those that have paved the way and I am excited for how our sports, industry and lifestyle will continue to progress in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Doug Fagel
    President of Thrive Snowboards

I'm quoting this so that it will live forever and in a year or two when PatioThriveTard is dead we can come back and lol about this post.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Snowboard bags - 2 31 Daikonran matty 5 minutes
Powzer Board Quiver - 23565758 1716 shralp MikeHoncho 39 minutes
Post Your Quiver Thread - 23939495 2828 shralp Johan 42 minutes
On-snow tricks 15 Duhg Dave99 1 hour
The Official 2015 thread - 23117118119 3568 whoisminishred LilTeichMonster 2 hours
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23454647 1383 Jneischen Lionel Hutz 2 hours
The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23141516 471 Bdawg payaso 3 hours
Burton Boot Machines... the official? - 23131415 433 Spenser Wes Bourne 3 hours
[sticky] How the Hell did I Get Here? (aka we’re all Refugees) - 238910 272 drjcv stevomcd 5 hours
The Official 2015 Captains Log - 2345 125 LilTeichMonster sometimesdylan 12 hours