• 2 Members Subscribed To Topic

Tags:

take me to the bottom
  1. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Head Cams   

I'm looking for a head cam and i have no idea where to look for. I wanna use it while snowboarding and I've seen a few models like a cam you can strap on the side of your goggle and the helmet cam things.. I have like $200 to spend on it but i got no idea where to look for. If someone could tell me where to look for etc?

2. rooftop

rooftop

Loungin Since Nov '09
    masshole.

Head Cams   

The two big models right now are the Contour HD and GoPro. I think Gopro Helmet HD is about $300 right now, but they are coming out with a cheaper model soon for around $180? Im not sure about the Contour HD

Personally I have heard better things about GoPro, but you can only really discover what you like by watching videos of both in action

3. K_B

K_B

Loungin Since Oct '09
    The Slaughter House

Head Cams   

I have a GoPro HD. It's awesome, I'd highly recommend it. Haven't used it on snow yet, but took some great footage this summer.

4. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Head Cams   

I've been debating one for awhile now and after watching TONS of footage, the GoPro HD is my choice (over the Contour HD).

You can get one for $250 most places and sometimes $225-240 on eBay.

Only reason I havent gotten it yet is because the wifey was planning to get it for me as a gift in a few weeks.

5. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Head Cams   

and does the GoPro mount to a goggle strap too? Or is it just for on a helmet, cuz i normally don't wear one and i dont wanna wear one just for camera

6. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

i am torn as well, i want to know that the go pro can be mounted or used w/o a helmet and that its easy to edit the footage with contour footage.

7. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

Head Cams   

drjcv said:  i am torn as well, i want to know that the go pro can be mounted or used w/o a helmet and that its easy to edit the footage with contour footage.

What was BOB using in his last video?..He don wear no steenkin helmets...

8. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Head Cams   

GoPro format is H.264 MP4's. It can be edited with any common Mac/Win software.

The GoPro does not have a goggle strap mount do to the shape of the camera, there is no practical way to mount it to the side of your head.

They do have a headstrap kit, which puts it on your forehead. You could put a beanie over it. They also make a ton of other mounts for bikes, cars, surf, etc... Also have a chest mount.

The main factor for me though is the angle of video it shoots. It just seems a lot nicer than the Contour. Also the slow mo footage is great.

Check out Gopro.com, they have a ton of videos on there and even videos showing POV's with different mounts. (Like on the homepage).

These GoPro vids pretty much sold me on it.... http://www.goprocamera.com/videos/channel_snow.php?video=Rs_wKkXCwDw

9. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Head Cams   

dave99 said:

drjcv said:  i am torn as well, i want to know that the go pro can be mounted or used w/o a helmet and that its easy to edit the footage with contour footage.

What was BOB using in his last video?..He don wear no steenkin helmets...

GoPro + headstrap

10. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Head Cams   

Been rocking a GoPro for mountain biking this summer (not mine, the resorts) and I'm sold on it. Super easy to use, great video, lots of options for mounting and I'd have to look at the stuff they had in the box but there are tons of mounting options and I'm sure there are even more aftermarket attachments available.

I'm definitely going to get one for myself.

11. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Head Cams   

I bought a gopro recently at Costco for $99. bought a head strap too, easy to wear over beanie.

12. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

Pics would be rad

13. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Head Cams   

The link I posted, check the Breck video, you'll see people wearing the headstrap and there's pictures of it on their product page.

I havent gotten it, but I dont see any reason why you cant put it on under your beanie too...

14. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

And what? Cut a hole in the beanie for it to stick out through

15. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Head Cams   

No, the cam is on a mount out in front of your forehead, just put the beanie on and tuck it down behind the cam.

Basically all of below under your beanie? Cam mounts to that "thingie" on the bottom which would be sticking out between your beanie and goggles.... Guessing anyway. I plan to try that, if not, just wear it over.

16. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

cool thanks. thing is just a giant fucking block though. i dunno. the contour is much less obvious. time to rig up some sort of top goggle attachment.

17. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Head Cams   

im sure that the gopro hd has one of the best quality films but like drjcv says it soo big. When I started googling I saw cams that were just tube shaped cams that are really easy to strap on your goggle. That seems ideal but maybe that doesnt have the good quality...

18. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

thats the contour. its rad too but not so fish eye. its great for pov but it makes everyone else seem super far away. geoff the movers edits are all contour. fashion over function hmmm. can't decide.

19. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Head Cams   

im not gonna vid with that dam block on my face with a special strap on or ahelmet. saw this awesome contour snow vid and it looked really good. I think im gonna go for the contour

20. The Chronic

The Chronic

Loungin Since Aug '09

Head Cams   

this video was made with a gopro hd. Shot in 720p. Video was compressed quite a bit to get it on vimeo so it doesnt look HD there. But it gives you an idea of what the view looks like from it. Beginning of this vid is pretty hazy cause it was puking that day. This camera was mounted to the top of my friends helmet. Footage was easy to work with.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Video

21. Jon3219

Jon3219

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Francisco

Head Cams   

Footage off my GoPro HD from a sunny blower day at Kirkwood this season...

22. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Head Cams   

the footage is great but you still got a box sticking out of your head

23. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Head Cams   

The GoPro is actually pretty damn small in your hand. The Contour is actually bigger.

GoPro Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.6” x 2.4” x 1.2” (42mm x 60mm x 30mm)
    Contour HD Dimentions 95mm L x 34mm W x 53mm H

If you're hung up on the fact that you just want a sideways mounted cam, then get the Contour and mount it to your goggle strap and be happy about it.

But if you're asking us which one is the better buy, you can see that GoPro is the choice.

-better POV
    -better features
    -endless mounting options
    -waterproof      

24. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

its just the idea of having a big tron cyclops thing on your forehead that is the issue. on paper the conour is "bigger" but its really a fairly discreet tube on the side of your head.  

25. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

Head Cams   

i want them to put the gopro guts and true fisheye in the contour physical package. then i would buy one.

26. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Head Cams   

spenser said: i want them to put the gopro guts and true fisheye in the contour physical package. then i would buy one.

yeah same here.. but it's just really annoying having that big box on your head and the need to wear a helmet / strap thing.
    The contour quality is pretty good, although not as good quality as the go pro its decent. contour is winning for me.
    now just find out which contour im gonna get.

27. primussucks

primussucks

Loungin Since Sep '10
    DASBLUNT IS OK

Head Cams   

I do runs with the gopro then take it off so I don't stay all cyclops all day. Using the go pro as a handheld with a small handle should be cool.

28. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Head Cams   

not a big fan of the "hey look at me make shred faces" handle gopro videos. but thats just me, i'd be making the vids to show my parenst and shit so they'd get a better idea if its not pointed at me all the time. and who wants to hold a stick, i already have a joint and beer going  

29. primussucks

primussucks

Loungin Since Sep '10
    DASBLUNT IS OK

Head Cams   

drjcv said:  not a big fan of the "hey look at me make shred faces" handle gopro videos. but thats just me, i'd be making the vids to show my parent and shit so they get a better idea if its not pointed at me all the time. and who wants to hold a stick, i already have a joint and beer going

Just an idea with the hand held. pointed down the mountain? if for only one or two runz too?

With the helmet, the thing does not bother me, i just take it off after a run or two anyways. I cannot imagine the gopro on a headband.

30. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Head Cams   

go pro in action in this vid. See how the head strap fits Kingwill @ 3:32. I'll try to post pics of mine soon.  

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23841842843 25285 TahoeChappy Dave99 34 minutes
Helping a fellow rider save his house . . . and his board collection. - 2 46 chucky chucky 47 minutes
wholesale slippers blog 1 outman outman 1 hour
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23323334 999 Jneischen MikeHoncho 1 hour
biff out with your gif out - 23282930 887 contra FeRreLL 2 hours
Jones Snowboards - 23293031 926 Supra JBburton 18 2 hours
The Official 2014 Captains Log - 23343536 1073 Parker passing gas 2 hours
I'm a nike head, I'm an a-a-a-addict for sneakers - 23929394 2818 Rhymenoceros gerry. 3 hours
"Safety Meeting" - 23313314315 9426 Dave99 Apache Runner 3 hours
Quiver Blowout! Party Shark, Trick Pony, Antler, Sherlock and more 16 Jneischen tekniq33 5 hours