(633 posts) (86 voices)

Tags:

take me to the bottom
  1. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Camping & Backpacking Appreciation Thread   

I missed out on all this camping fun last summer due to being ill. I'm stoked for some camping and backpacking this summer. I have several trips planned, just waiting for the snow to melt and roads to open.

Few backpacking questions:

I need to get a proper water filter system. Any recommendations?

Why can't I ride my mtn bike on a wilderness trail? Horses can tear it up, so why can't I wheel lightly?  

2. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

shralp said: Why can't I ride my mtn bike on a wilderness trail? Horses can tear it up, so why can't I wheel lightly?  

long ago I was told it's because the tires make grooves in the earth/dirt...Grooves seem to cause more erosion than the postholes that horses leave....It's a matter of physics or something...

I am in the process of moving to Northern Ontario...The backpacking there is unlimited....Most of my friends have quads but still me and my best buddy walk everywhere to fish...

Love the OUTdoors....  

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

shralp said: I have several trips planned, just waiting for the snow to melt and roads to open.

I feel ya. I've been journeying out as far as I can go lately, but right now that's only about 8,000'. There's still like 30 feet of snow up high and i'm itching for it to melt so I can go explore.

And as much as I love biking I really don't feel like they have a place in the wilderness. Mechanized travel, unnatural. But i'm kind of a snob and a purist when it comes to that type of stuff. If you want my opinion horses and other pack animals have no place either.

4. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

oakwood-jones said: If you want my opinion horses and other pack animals have no place either.

only zee small mammalz should be allowed....

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

I feel ya, along with indiginous mammals such as bears and wolves.  

6. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

oakwood-jones said: I feel ya, along with indiginous mammals such as bears and wolves.  

and medium sized indiginous mammals too.....A little love for the skunk,badger and raccoon...

7. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

8. suchick13

suchick13

Loungin Since Oct '09
    HoneyLlama !

Really ? wow. wolverines are hard to see at the best of times. Much less shredding wolverines.

9. ranger

ranger

Loungin Since Oct '09
    beach

shralp said:
    I need to get a proper water filter system. Any recommendations?

I haven't bought one in a few years so I am not up to date, but you should go to both rei.com and amazon.com to read reviews of what people have said on certain ones. for me, the company description is not enough... before I ever buy something I always read hands on consumer reviews.

I am an eagle scout, but I don't plan on much camping or backpacking this summer. when I was younger I did so much of it that I kind of got burnt out on it.

I love enjoying the outdoors, but not if it involves 45 pounds/a full load on your back and you are exhausted. I think I did 28 miles in one day once. we got lost. I also did an 8 day canoe trip in northern british columbia and almost got killed by a mama bear protecting her 3 cubs. I also got stranded in the sierra nevadas in california once in the snow without much food. I also had a member of our crew seriously sprain his ankle once deep in the woods of the cascades, and we had to carry him out on a makeshift stretcher. several camping trips where the person designated to bring the tent forgets it, oh those were good. also getting eating alive by mosquitoes, and accidentally spooking a moose and getting chased was pretty fun. also hiking mount rainier and almost falling into a crevice. and river rafting and getting tossed out on level 5 rapids.

I could go on forever. I love the experiences I have had and the skills I have gained that a lot of people lack these days, but I treasure every night I have in my bed at home. I remember reading statistics on camping in the seattle times once, and it was jaw-dropping the percentage of people who have not done an overnight camping trip, or a hike over a couple miles long.      

if you got stranded in the woods and had to survive, I would probably be a good person to have with you.  

10. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

suchick13 said: Really ? wow. wolverines are hard to see at the best of times. Much less shredding wolverines.

ya it was pretty sweet. I was up on this lonely peak-ridge line, near where the Night of the Grizzlies took place and then saw some weird guy up in the distance jumping and waiving at me...oh Hai... then I saw what he was pointing at... a wolverine, it looked like a bear with its legs chopped off.. it was walking towards me a 150 feet way... then it must have caught my scent and it ran towards this snow patch, lifted its legs and literally surfed on its belly all the way down the mountain.. it was amazing.

11. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

I second the Katadyn recommendation. I use the hiker pro and have been very content with it. Seems to be the standard.

12. ass

ass

Loungin Since Dec '09
    VW T4

not really backpacking, but in less than 2 weeks i am gonna pack my T3 and head to the atlantic coast to get some sorf done. soooo excited...

13. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will look for a Katadyn filter system.

14. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

dave99 said:

shralp said: Why can't I ride my mtn bike on a wilderness trail? Horses can tear it up, so why can't I wheel lightly?  

long ago I was told it's because the tires make grooves in the earth/dirt...Grooves seem to cause more erosion than the postholes that horses leave....It's a matter of physics or something...
    I am in the process of moving to Northern Ontario...The backpacking there is unlimited....Most of my friends have quads but still me and my best buddy walk everywhere to fish...
    Love the OUTdoors....  

It's a big issue for many down in my area. Not only are horses considerably more abusive to the trail but the wilderness in our area is open for range cattle in the summer time.

There's a movement to try and get the laws changed since, when they were written there weren't any mountain bikes.....the law was put in place to prevent "mechanized travel" in a wilderness area which basically equates to "things with wheels." All it's going to take is some wheel chair bound person to bring up a suit because he's prohibited from entering a wilderness area for it to all change dramatically. When I was on the BV Search and Rescue we weren't even allowed to bring in the wheelie cart (basically a stretcher with a single wheel on it) into the wilderness.....we did it anyway though.

15. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Thanks for some clarification Paul.

We recently hiked down a trail that would be perfect for a novice mtn biker like my wife, and have fun fast sweepers for me. The problem is that is goes through a corner of wilderness for about 1/8th mile near the beginning of the trail. It's remote enough that I don't think anyone would notice or care.

Nearby in the Wallowa Mtns, there is some trials with terrible horse damage, deep ruts, manure all over, etc. It's a lot of climbing so people bring pack horses to haul their gear up. It really wears on the trail.

16. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Yeah, horses are terribly hard on the trails....people don't seem to realize that. Unfortunately there are some really militant hikers (aka, the sierra club) that want to see mountain biking go away completely. It all comes down to who has the most money.

Also, while I've poached trails before, I'd advise against it as it's a ridiculously expensive fine if you get caught....like $1500 or more.

17. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

$1500, wow. I want to avoid that fine at all costs.

18. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

yeah- its not really something you wanna fvck with, especially with some power trippin authority figures

19. Apache Runner

Apache Runner

Loungin Since Mar '10
    The Westest Place in Texas

my friend is going backpacking to Vancouver, Oregon, and Washington next week

whn it's not so hot and the rivers aren't roaring so hard I'm going with
    my dad to backpack the huila..forgive me if I spelled that wrong

20. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

went camping for the first time last summer. had an awesome time but it was a little too cushy for my liking. would like to go a little harder this summer.

21. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

apache-runner said:  my friend is going backpacking to Vancouver, Oregon, and Washington next week

Where are they headed? The Cascades?

22. District

District

Loungin Since Aug '09
    hi

the sierra club can get fukked

purist faggots

23. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

shralp said:  $1500, wow. I want to avoid that fine at all costs.

hahaha........

24. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

district said:  the sierra club can get fukked
    purist faggots

Dude, there are Sierra Club members that want to ban hiking because the rubber in the souls of hiking shoes/boots has a negative impact on the micro-biology of the soil. Those fuckers are crazy.

25. ranger

ranger

Loungin Since Oct '09
    beach

paulg said:

purist faggots

Dude, there are Sierra Club members that want to ban hiking because the rubber in the souls of hiking shoes/boots has a negative impact on the micro-biology of the soil. Those fuckers are crazy.

I hate those morons.

downhill mountain biking tearing up shit for the win.

26. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Save the forest for our children!*

*Even though we and they won't be able to enjoy it, the pictures will be nice.

27. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

paulg said:

purist faggots

those are the extreme, that definitely doesn't reflect its official ideology or that of the majority of its members. the purpose behind the sierra club is really important imo. i'm glad bikes aren't allowed in wilderness areas, but i wish they'd get rid of the horses

28. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

I don't know....I'm a very respectful and responsible trail user for the most part ( I have poached a wilderness a time or two though, even then I left nearly no trace other than my tire tracks) and I've butted heads with numerous Sierra Club types that stated in no uncertain terms that their goal was to have mountain bikes removed from all trails in any public area. I'm sure these were personal views but they insinuated that, as members, they had the full weight of the Sierra Club behind them.

29. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

i'm not a member of the sierra club, but my perception of them has been that for the most part they're pretty reasonable. you'll find vegan/vegetarian types who consider it impossible to ethically/humanely raise livestock, but most who don't eat meat or dairy aren't that fucking crazy

30. District

District

Loungin Since Aug '09
    hi

the problem is, if they could have it their way they would make everything wilderness. i'm for shared access. i do however agree that wilderness areas are a good thing. but we already have enough of that if not too much. horses are fine for the wilderness. how many horse enthusiasts are there anyways?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Muzak, What are you listening to? - 23136137138 4139 Junkshow Spenser 4 hours
English Premier League 2014/2015 season 9 Mulligan illocon 6 hours
Official Airblaster thread - 23175176177 5305 shralp buggravy 7 hours
FS: Airblaster Legbag Collection 20 martind NEIN11 8 hours
Dinosaurs Will Die - 23101112 353 G_hunt tightpantswidestance 10 hours
WTB Burton Speakeasy 155 or 158 9 ShredlockHolmes ShredlockHolmes 10 hours
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23373839 1154 Jneischen nitro909 11 hours
Golfing - 23404142 1254 Dave99 F18 11 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23888990 2692 whoisminishred Supra 12 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23853854855 25640 TahoeChappy Spenser 14 hours