Surfing

(408 posts) (70 voices)
take me to the bottom
  1. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

Surfing   

99% going to be getting a board this summer.

I live in NYC, I have only surfed a 2x, I will not be hardcore about it (to start at least)and I just want something I can catch some mellow waves out on the island.

I am figuring a long board, so any specifics?

2. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

Praying this summer is decent. Being stuck up in the mountains makes me want surf!

3. 7trees

7trees

Loungin Since Mar '11

Surfing   

Get a mini mal. Foxpuppet can point you in the right direction.

4. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

Surfing   

Brad straight up killing it again. Who needs fins anyway? those waves at the end are crazy.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

5. octopus

octopus

Loungin Since Oct '09
    this is boston, not LA

Surfing   

whoa.. that guy is sick. his board looks like a giant skimboard, how does that even float? 

6. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

Surfing   

he is riding just a regular skimboard. there really isnt much float on them. if you lose speed at all you sink pretty quick.

7. octopus

octopus

Loungin Since Oct '09
    this is boston, not LA

Surfing   

ok. so he's out in some big waves, probably over his head depth wise. how is he riding these on a skimboard?

8. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10

Surfing   

Crazy that he can ride those waves on that board. Obviously a talented dude, though at the end on those big waves kind of seemed like he was hanging on for dear life. He could probably kill those on a real board.

9. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Surfing   

anybody know of any good surf blogs that post solid videos other than like transworld surf, like a yobeat equivalent in the surf industry maybe or you get the idea.

not sure if these exist but im assuming they must. thanks.

10. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

Surfing   

octopus said: ok. so he's out in some big waves, probably over his head depth wise. how is he riding these on a skimboard?

he paddles in just like you would with a surfboard or he gets towed in with a jet ski. its actually not that hard to paddle in if you are light enough.

heres a good example of him doing it at a skimboard contest a couple years back.

tekniq33 said: Crazy that he can ride those waves on that board. Obviously a talented dude, though at the end on those big waves kind of seemed like he was hanging on for dear life. He could probably kill those on a real board.

he is a pretty amazing surfer but i prefer watching him ride on a skim. it just looks totally different than regular surfing. crazy to think he is still 22. I wanna see what hes doing a 4 more years.

11. FeRreLL

FeRreLL

Loungin Since Aug '10
    New Zealand

Surfing   

This trailer is siiiick cant wait till this movie comes out.

Also a little pic from a surf at my local a while back.

12. FeRreLL

FeRreLL

Loungin Since Aug '10
    New Zealand

Surfing   

Guy on the skimboard rips but has the wackest style ive ever seen. Unfortunate.

13. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

Went surfing in the afternoon on my lunch break. Also got out this morning. Some fun little waves to cruise on! Had no trouble getting back up...sure need to get in paddling shape again though.

14. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

just gettin' started
    Loungin Since Aug '09

Surfing   

ferrell said: Guy on the skimboard rips but has the wackest style ive ever seen. Unfortunate.

All the "rolling up the windows" does detract, but hey it's gotta be slicker than snot on that sucker. 1:55 is pretty sick.....as well as the big waves too.

Nice local pic for your avatar btw

15. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

Surfing   

16. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10

Surfing   

Finally got myself a board. Picked up a used Stewart Hydro Hull 9'0" longboard, 2 + 1 with 6.5" center fin.

Kills me to buy something like that with no real knowledge like I do with snow gear. How can I try and get started on a basic knowledge of surfing equipment? Shapes, fin set up, fin position, and so on. And obviously how that affects performance.

None of that will probably matter since really all I am focused on is actually getting up and riding waves and it will be a long time coming before i should bother focusing on that stuff.

17. jptruck

jptruck

Loungin Since Oct '09
    East Coast

Surfing   

Jeez. . .you could have done a lot worse. I have a 9'0 Hydro Hull in the quiver and it's a great, great longboard. It will hurt you if you are not careful, though. It's a lot of board. I wouldn't take it out on waves that are sucking, barreling until you know what you are doing. Look for mush-ball waves.

Just set the middle fin in the middle of the box. You generally move it forward in the box if you want to make the board super easy to turn. If you are just learning, you aren't going to notice much of a difference, anyway. It's a fast as hell board once you get it pointed in the right direction.

If you want a second board, I'd recommend a fun shape in the 6'8"-7'6" range. Something like a McTavish Carver. Foam is your friend until you know what you are doing. The earlier you can get into a wave and onto your feet, the better off you'll be. This advice is applicable to 2' waves and 20' waves.

18. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

^^The faster up the better for sure! Learn to get up quickly on the small waves so on the big waves you aren't lagging and just shooting yourself over the falls.

I've had 8 days surfing this summer so far. Longboarding with my 8'6" for most of it, but a couple days on a 7' funboard. It's amazing how much more of a task it is to get up on a small(er) board. Sets were coming in at a solid 5-6' and I was just eating shit over the wave because I wasn't used to popping up so quickly. Figured it out by the end at least.

Always strictly longboarding in the past. Was just too damn big to handle a shortboard decently. Took Surf PE in 8th grade, and if I hadn't I would still be TERRIBLE at surfing. Took me half the winter to learn to stand up and actually ride the wave...by the end of the year I was out there catching 7-8' waves consistently having a ridiculous amount of fun.

19. dood

dood

Loungin Since Jul '10
    VT

Surfing   

The very best big wave live broadcast in the history of the sport went down yesterday when the Volcom Figi Pro 2012 was called off, and the freesurf session went down:

http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

20. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

There are no waves right now!!!

21. Stuuuuuuu89

Stuuuuuuu89

Loungin Since Nov '09
    EL, Michigan -> Tahoe -> Seattle

Surfing   

22. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

So awesome!! Wonder who the first person will be to put one of those in their backyard.

23. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

Surfing   

Dang, Stu beat me to it! That video is rad! Makes me want to try my hand at playing teh surfboardz.

24. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Surfing   

ok so ive surfed like 10 to 15 times on a longboard and i was decent at getting up, once i was up it was no problem. im studying abroad in australia and i want to buy a surfboard to use while im down here. there is a pretty nice shortboard, maybe 6'6 for sale for 150 dollars from another student who is about to levae the country and is desperate to sell it. I know the board is probably too advanced for me but im considering getting it.

Am i going to be completely wasting my time trying to surf as a begginer on a short board?

25. User has not uploaded an avatar

mylux

Loungin Since Oct '10
    huh?!

Surfing   

keats0206 said:  ok so ive surfed like 10 to 15 times on a longboard and i was decent at getting up, once i was up it was no problem. im studying abroad in australia and i want to buy a surfboard to use while im down here. there is a pretty nice shortboard, maybe 6'6 for sale for 150 dollars from another student who is about to levae the country and is desperate to sell it. I know the board is probably too advanced for me but im considering getting it.
    Am i going to be completely wasting my time trying to surf as a begginer on a short board

Depends on the width as well. Where are u in oz? If you're around the Melbourne area I could probably hook u up.

26. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

Surfing   

Depending on how much you think you will surf would be the deciding factor for me. The transition to a short board will definitely take a little while but if you are gonna be riding all the time it will definitely be worth it once you have it down. On the other hand If you only are gonna be surfing every few weeks then you would probably just have more fun sticking with a longboard or fun shape and enjoy the little time you have out there. If you can find a wider or thicker shortboard those are great for people making the transistion to a shortboard.

27. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Surfing   

yea i could have probably answered the question myself. im definitely not ready to transition to a shortboard, but it is a good deal. ill probably be surfing 2 or 3 days a week at bondi or other beaches in the sydney area. any aussies know of a good place to find used surf boards? im thinking ebay... craigslist doesnt seem to be too big down here.

28. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

Craigslist is the place to get 'em round here. But then again I live in socal. Screw getting a board shipped to you and then taking it on an international flight. Just get a board when you get to Australia.

A shortboard is fine as long as you stick with it to actually get decent--can be really fucking frustrating. I stick to my longboard for the most part, but I need to get a shortboard for this winter.

Get something really wide and thick. You'll get the float you need to have an easier time standing up, but you'll also have the maneuverability you'd want once you get better. The plus is if you get a fat chode board you can bring the height down a bit.

29. mjpoltorak

mjpoltorak

Loungin Since Sep '09

Surfing   

channel islands biscuit. or something similar.

30. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Surfing   

dumpster diver! Was gonna mention the biscuit too--good call! Those two boards sell so fast down here in socal.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2015 thread - 23909192 2744 whoisminishred tp1_kenobi 29 minutes
Darkest goggles on the market? 14 Dr. Dre BigHerm 1 hour
FS: Burton [ak] Jackets & Pants 17 MikeHoncho captmuff 1 hour
Lookin for some camber...I think 21 Eli9422 captmuff 1 hour
Post a picture of yourself - 23402403404 12108 RIPITUP 89c51 2 hours
I`m going fishing - 23262728 834 Dave99 goggles 3 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23854855856 25651 TahoeChappy dood 3 hours
English Premier League 2014/2015 season 20 Mulligan big_matt 5 hours
letter from china ( part 2 ) - 2 35 tianjin tianjin 8 hours
Post Your Quiver Thread - 23868788 2623 shralp HLC123 10 hours