• Latest reply from Eva
  • 4 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged)   

hyperleafblower said:  That's a car I really wish they brought over here, even in super limited numbers. I really dig them.
    I really want an FR-S.

that is one beautiful example. in proper livery too. hope they build a new supra

i have a boner to find out the details on the next gen wrx  

2. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

If Subaru gave the Crosstek XV an engine that's somewhere between the stock Impreza and the WRX, I would put down a deposit right now. But coming from a 220hp Mazda V6, 145hp flat-four banger would take A LOT of getting use to.

3. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

hyperleafblower said:  That's a car I really wish they brought over here, even in super limited numbers. I really dig them.
    I really want an FR-S.

it was seriously sooo fun to drive!!

And technically speaking isn't this the eightsix

4. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

woooooooooord. proper livery :)

5. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

mcbain said: If Subaru gave the Crosstek XV an engine that's somewhere between the stock Impreza and the WRX, I would put down a deposit right now. But coming from a 220hp Mazda V6, 145hp flat-four banger would take A LOT of getting use to.

The 2.0 is not going to blow your socks off, but I find it acceptable. It does sorta need to get out of it's own way, but I can still pass confidently on 2 lane roads much moar gnarly-boots than what you might encounter.

6. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

Mcbain maybe test drive a 12' Impreza and see how it feels to you?

7. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

red-baron said:

I really want an FR-S.

it was seriously sooo fun to drive!!
    And technically speaking isn't this the eightsix

Yeah, it is but I can't get one here haha. If I did buy an FR-S I'd do the cheeseball "JDM" conversion with all the Toyota 86 trinkets (and those trick headlights) for sure though.  

Contra, I totally agree in regards to the supra

8. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i'd do the 86 conversion too. scion, wtf

9. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

yeah I love the eightsix!! I think it looks soooo good!

10. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

Some recents from my instagram...

11. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

That thing is beautiful, my girlfriend would go apeshit over it. Have you ever thought about doing anything to it?

I guess that one's a 62.  

12. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

passing-gas said: Mcbain maybe test drive a 12' Impreza and see how it feels to you?

I'm still in the early, early stages of car shopping. Would love to get another year out of my Mazda, but would love to have AWD for the upcoming winter too.

So far the cars that make most sense would be the Crosstek, the Ford Escape Ecotech 2.0 AWD, and the Mini Countryman AWD. Gotta test drive them all. Now if I wanted to splurge more (and not give a shit about gas consumption), would consider the Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, and the beautiful Audi Q5.

Can't wait for the local car show to come up so I can check out all these cars at once.

13. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

love the Q5 and the XC60

14. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

i dig the RDX. when my wife gives in to getting a new car i'm hoping that's what we get

15. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

I drove the RDX for a day before we got my wife's Murano last year and I thought it sort of sucked. Turbo was pretty loud and not even remotely linear. I know that can sometimes be part of the appeal of a turbo, but in an SUV it just felt weird. Pretty harsh suspension too.

16. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

You're thinking of the previous generation RDX. The completely redesigned RDX came out this year. They got rid of the turbo-4 and V6 is standard now.

17. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

Oops. Carry on.

18. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

hyperleafblower said:  That thing is beautiful, my girlfriend would go apeshit over it. Have you ever thought about doing anything to it?

I guess that one's a 62.  

Yeah, the one you posted is a '62 mine is a '63 (2 door).

It is slightly modded. I put an air ride setup on it (you can see the controller in the last pic - I hid it in the pullout ashtray). Did stealth Alpine stereo install (no visible speakers, headunit hidden in the dash above glovebox with ipod hookup, RF marine remote to control it so the entire interior looks stock). Other than that, I slightly modded the hubcaps and steering wheel with those bullets (they're not stock) and the wide whites.

19. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

That's awesome, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to older domestics. I love the sound of that stereo install. Wide whites look good.

20. cobrasdh

cobrasdh

Loungin Since Oct '09

new rims on the stang.

21. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

buggravy said:  I drove the RDX for a day before we got my wife's Murano last year and I thought it sort of sucked. Turbo was pretty loud and not even remotely linear. I know that can sometimes be part of the appeal of a turbo, but in an SUV it just felt weird. Pretty harsh suspension too.

interesting. i haven't driven one but haven't read those complaints. i've found the turbo model more appealing on paper.

22. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

mcbain said:

passing-gas said: Mcbain maybe test drive a 12' Impreza and see how it feels to you?

I'm still in the early, early stages of car shopping. Would love to get another year out of my Mazda, but would love to have AWD for the upcoming winter too.
    So far the cars that make most sense would be the Crosstek, the Ford Escape Ecotech 2.0 AWD, and the Mini Countryman AWD. Gotta test drive them all. Now if I wanted to splurge more (and not give a shit about gas consumption), would consider the Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, and the beautiful Audi Q5.
    Can't wait for the local car show to come up so I can check out all these cars at once.

Werd.

My old POS daily driver died an un-timely death with in weeks of buying our house. Cost of the car as well as MPG were my main priorites. I was pretty set on some kinda of "not-fun" FWD econo-box with good MPG. Then in the fall I heard rumors of the re-deisgned impreza with 2.0/CVT/36 mpg. Figured for all the MPG, I might as well have tried and true Lezer AWD to boot. Don't need to go on about that, but with snow tires, I am pretty much un-stoppable, or in the case of needing to break, stoppable. Many times this winter saw all kinds of Jeeps/SUV's/4X4's having trouble getting out of Mountain parking lots when it had snowed feet all day, or got mega icey. Even with lower ground clearance, my Impreza just dug right though it all. SO much of the "not a single Fvck was given" feeling driving up and down the mountain, which I love. Car handles great, got the lezzer "poor-man's bmw" feeling going on.

On occasion I have thought about pulling an ado and seriously wondering if I should have got WRX instead. Fact is all of the driving I do is Hwy, so pumping premium to get 10 or more LESS miles per gallon didn't make sense. I already have 8K miles on the car which I have only had since christmas. I am sure the WRX would have been infinitly moar fun. In 10 or so years I think I will feel better abOUT my disposable income to spend on a moar fun car that gets worse MPG, but for now I'm pretty happy.

TL:DR

If you want MPG and AWD, get what I got cause I am awesome ; )

23. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

My aversion to four-bangers comes from rental cars that struggle going up hill. You floor it and everyone else is still flying by. Turbo seems to be key between better MPG and higher horsepower and torque.

Besides test driving and checking out the car in person, I need to make a cost comparison spreadsheet, factoring car payments and gas/maintenance. Right now, just based on what I know and how the car looks, the Countryman and the Impreza/Crosstek are in the lead.

24. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

Gonna throw in the Audi Allroad into the list too.

25. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09

mcbain said: My aversion to four-bangers comes from rental cars that struggle going up hill. You floor it and everyone else is still flying by. Turbo seems to be key between better MPG and higher horsepower and torque.
    Besides test driving and checking out the car in person, I need to make a cost comparison spreadsheet, factoring car payments and gas/maintenance. Right now, just based on what I know and how the car looks, the Countryman and the Impreza/Crosstek are in the lead.

I pass mofo's all the time going up to Hood. The 2.0 doesn't struggle too bad. CVT helps even things OUT a bit. Last 1,000 Ft of elevation gain, rpms have to hold steady at abOUT 3.5-4K, but feels way better than a rental yaris (I have driven them up and down Big Cottonwood Canyon, so I get where you're coming from)

26. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

mcbain said: Now if I wanted to splurge more (and not give a shit about gas consumption), would consider the Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, and the beautiful Audi Q5.

I know this is a pretty decent jump in price, but have you considered the Range Rover Evoque? The Q5 is great, but the Evoque is a freaking pleasure just to be in. The ride is fantastic, the trim is beautiful, I felt it had every bit of off-road capacity as my brother's LR4, and it's not as soccer-mom as the Q5 (yet).

If you can justify the extra cash, I'd seriously take a look at it. Otherwise, I'd take the Q5 on every day ending in "y" over the XC60, which I felt to be scant, overpriced, and understyled...unless that's what you're going for. It was plenty comfortable, fast, spacious, and practical, but not really any moreso than the Q5.

Plus, when someone asks you what you bought, you're going to have to admit you spent $40k on a Volvo. Ouch.  

27. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

A few more instagram shots...

Should have fully lowered it but the shot wasnt planned for. Oh well.

28. HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Self Proclaimed

Beauty. I take it that thing will pretty much lay-out if you drop it all the way?

29. Ninety-Roll

Ninety-Roll

Loungin Since Aug '09
    comedy. spliffs. shred.

i fear i may hafta sell the Taco if we move to Chicago/NYC. sucks, but we'll have my girl's Forester at least.

30. bad63lac

bad63lac

Loungin Since Mar '10
    New Jersey

hyperleafblower said:  Beauty. I take it that thing will pretty much lay-out if you drop it all the way?

Yeah, pretty close. About an inch off the ground. Two inches lower than that shot.

The muffler body actually hangs a bit below the frame, so when its aired out it scrapes a little bit when I move it back and forth in the driveway.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23424344 1313 Jneischen F18 33 minutes
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23789 269 vancouver highme 2 hours
Home Ownership Appreciation Thread - 23474849 1444 shralp shinobi 2 hours
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23206207208 6219 shralp davidjames 2 hours
The Official Frakenbinder thread - 23 74 MikeHoncho captmuff 3 hours
The Official 2016 Thread 27 whoisminishred davidjames 3 hours
The Official Camera Thread - 23678 230 Bdawg Supra 4 hours
FS: NEW Union Cobra Dog Bindings, both sizes - 2 37 Spenser wvalk 4 hours
FS: Union Cobra Dogs M/L 4 Matt1606 wvalk 5 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23862863864 25911 TahoeChappy zkurd 6 hours