(82 posts) (32 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

phoeno

Loungin Since Feb '10

Types of Wax?   

Im just wondering if it really matters what brand of wax i should buy? or just the cheapest stuff i can find?

2. Paul

Paul

Loungin Since Oct '09
    SaskBerta

Types of Wax?   

i use dakine, and always have. its readily available at my local shops and i like it

3. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Types of Wax?   

wax nerds will make a case, but i haven't ever noticed much (if any) difference. i like bluebird, mostly because it seems like a cool company and i like birds...

4. DblFistin

DblFistin

Loungin Since Dec '09
    so cal

Types of Wax?   

bluebird sold out of their 1lb all temp wax for $15.....i'm sad.

5. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

Types of Wax?   

hell of a deal

6. mi_canuck

mi_canuck

Loungin Since Dec '09
    northern northern MN

Types of Wax?   

basically 2 categories... Hydrocarbon and Fluorocarbon... the later can be had in high Fluoro or low Fluoro content... Low Fluoro is like 2.5-3x more expensive than the Hydrocarbon... High Fluoro or even pure Fluoro powder are like 10 times the price of HC wax...

i wax my base with a good hydrocarbon (Swix CH8 essentially - their Alpine base prep wax). usually 2-3 applications (first one being a hot scrape) for the beginning of the season... then use Fluoro (low) for my wax of the day... I use the Swix LF stuff.... it's a bit pricey, but i've learned to be super efficient in applying it for minimal waste...

High Fluoro and powders are really only for racing... or if you have insane amounts of money and are insane yourself.... ;)

and I personally DO see a difference with waxing... I see people in the lift lines often times - asking me - does your board stick? and then some other guy will pipe in, yeah mine too... all the while, I'm cruising by, no hint of drag.... proper waxing in certain snow conditions makes a BIG difference  

besides, waxing regularly keeps the base nice and hydrated and prolongs its life.... white and dry looking bases are not something you'll see in my quiver... I also keep my scraper nice and sharp, have a bunch of edge tools (sharpening file, pocket stone, diamond stone, gummi stone), and some brushes (horse hair and copper brush)... i don't mess around ;)

7. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

Types of Wax?   

to be clear, i meant i haven't noticed a difference in brands of wax, not that i don't notice a difference between waxing and not waxing.

8. mi_canuck

mi_canuck

Loungin Since Dec '09
    northern northern MN

Types of Wax?   

wasn't targetting anyone ;)

9. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

Types of Wax?   

i havent noticed a difference in normal waxes either. and if youre not racing, who cares? its probably all relatively the same if you break it down anyway, and does the same job.

ive been using OBJ this year because thats what is available and its working fine. in the past ive mainly used the purpleish-grey burton fluoro puck.

10. biilly

biilly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    bc canada

Types of Wax?   

i use the whatever all temp wax i can find cheaply. I do nothing fancy either. Hot wax, scrape and go. Mostly because im riding equal parts snow and concrete so all the fine tuning stuff with brushes and base cleaner would really be a waste.

11. DK

DK

Loungin Since Jan '10
    the opinionated are so opinionated

Types of Wax?   

I have OBJ all temp wax and I use it at the beginning of the season and maybe once again halfway through and I am good to go.

12. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Types of Wax?   

I've been using Bluebird all this season and my boards feel noticably faster. However, it could just be my boards - '10 Capita Indoor FK and Charlie Slasher.

13. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Types of Wax?   

contra said:  to be clear, i meant i haven't noticed a difference in brands of wax, not that i don't notice a difference between waxing and not waxing.

yea, unless you're counting milliseconds I doubt anyone could really tell a difference between the different waxes. I gotta give my boys at Purl some love though, they've been hooking me up for years. Quality stuff, priced right and made in summit county. A block of purple (all-temp), some blue (cold) and some orange (warm) and you're set up for the season. http://purlracing.com/osc/catalog/

14. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

Types of Wax?   

putting brand aside which is just preference for the average rider what really matters is the correct wax for the correct conditions (temp and humidity)

15. User has not uploaded an avatar

continuum

Loungin Since Nov '09
    Worcester

Types of Wax?   

89c51 said: putting brand aside which is just preference for the average rider what really matters is the correct wax for the correct conditions (temp and humidity)

agreed. right wax for the right conditions. I generally have cold and warm weather waxes. make sure you scrape that sh*t off too and get it nice and smooth with a scotch brite. just a very thin layer should be left. That has been more noticeable to me than the brand of wax. Although I've always wanted to buy one of those $100 pieces of super high fluoro just to see the difference.

16. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

Types of Wax?   

When I scrape, I often see the color of the base in my scrapings.
    Is that bad?

17. Oldschooler

Oldschooler

Loungin Since Dec '09
    Sunnyvale

Types of Wax?   

Unpossible......unless you're scraping with a razor blade, or metal scraper.

I use the basic Toko stuff. Usually a mix of the red and yellow, especially this year as Hood has hovered around 26˚- 34˚ all season.

18. 89c51

89c51

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I am a lie really

Types of Wax?   

duhg said: When I scrape, I often see the color of the base in my scrapings.
    Is that bad?

maybe you apply a bit of excess pressure

except you scrape with metal which is "wrong" or to put it better plastic is more suitable

anyway you don't have to go mad with the scraper  

and BTW high fluoro and low fluoro waxes are for different humidity conditions

19. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Types of Wax?   

I almost always use all temp unless I am riding Hood in the summer.

20. Bdawg

Bdawg

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Take a bath hippy

Types of Wax?   

Bluebird and OneBallJay cold wax all winter long until spring and even then on the EK I just use all temp.

21. ryanppax

ryanppax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Buck Fuck West Virginia

Types of Wax?   

i use a metal scraper because my plastic one got dull after two times. how do i sharpen it?  

22. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Types of Wax?   

slide it across your file to sharpen your scraper.

23. Hi Hater U C Me

Hi Hater U C Me

Loungin Since Jan '10

Types of Wax?   

i use holmenkol wax. its really fast. i have to say that the board i have right now has the most amazing base ive ever had on a snowboard. i have been out on it 16 times without waxing it and it is STILL much faster than the CX i demod a few days ago

24. Paul

Paul

Loungin Since Oct '09
    SaskBerta

Types of Wax?   

duhg said: When I scrape, I often see the color of the base in my scrapings.
    Is that bad?

i use a plastic scraper and i get colour in the scrapings on my extruded bases, never on my sintered boards

25. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Types of Wax?   

hi-hater-u-c-me said:  i use holmenkol wax. its really fast. i have to say that the board i have right now has the most amazing base ive ever had on a snowboard. i have been out on it 16 times without waxing it and it is STILL much faster than the CX i demod a few days ago

What are you riding now?

26. Hi Hater U C Me

Hi Hater U C Me

Loungin Since Jan '10

Types of Wax?   

shralp said:

hi-hater-u-c-me said:  i use holmenkol wax. its really fast. i have to say that the board i have right now has the most amazing base ive ever had on a snowboard. i have been out on it 16 times without waxing it and it is STILL much faster than the CX i demod a few days ago

What are you riding now?

nitro eero

27. DblFistin

DblFistin

Loungin Since Dec '09
    so cal

Types of Wax?   

2010 eero?

I tried a 2009 nitro wiig with the discontinued base and thought that it was pretty quick.

28. Hi Hater U C Me

Hi Hater U C Me

Loungin Since Jan '10

Types of Wax?   

dblfistin said:  2010 eero?
    I tried a 2009 nitro wiig with the discontinued base and thought that it was pretty quick.

yea its a 2010 eero. i also have an 08 wiig which is super stiff but not quite as fast. i like the CX though. im 5'9" and about 135lbs and the 160 i rode was probably the size i would get

29. death_ember

death_ember

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Don't google "Blue Waffle". DON'T.

Types of Wax?   

I'm upgrading to a board with a 7200 sintered base (from extruded). Right now I wax whenever the base looks dry, what do I need to do for the sintered base? I heard you need to wax more often?

30. DblFistin

DblFistin

Loungin Since Dec '09
    so cal

Types of Wax?   

hi-hater-u-c-me said:

dblfistin said:  2010 eero?

yea its a 2010 eero. i also have an 08 wiig which is super stiff but not quite as fast. i like the CX though. im 5'9" and about 135lbs and the 160 i rode was probably the size i would get

Wow sounds like a lot of board for you. I'd love a 162W or a 164W CX, but I have at least 80lbs on ya.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Unofficial Occupation thread - 2345 148 notmikebuckley -Justus 20 minutes
teh Portland thread - 23899091 2716 truckeebread highme 2 hours
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23210211212 6345 shralp highme 3 hours
The Official Seattle Thread - 23262728 811 Buffalo Swatter 27 matty 4 hours
Ashy's Die Cut Stickers - ready for orders! - 2 39 ashy larry ashy larry 5 hours
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23152153154 4601 shralp dkimxd 5 hours
Dragon transition lenses, awesome or crap? 5 octopus Spenser 6 hours
The Official 2016 Thread - 238910 277 whoisminishred drjcv 6 hours
The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23161718 526 Bdawg drjcv 6 hours
Burton Con Artist - 23678 222 Supra BFBF 7 hours