• Latest reply from shralp
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

Pow Specific boards for women   

FYI - the "women's" Fish 150? Bullshit. It's the same Fish as the men's. Waist width over 25cm. I've yet to meet the women's board that measures in there at a 150. Absolute repackaged pandering marketing.

That said, I'm still buying a Malolo because my other options aren't looking great.

2. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

midget-mafiosa said:  FYI - the "women's" Fish 150? Bullshit. It's the same Fish as the men's. Waist width over 25cm. I've yet to meet the women's board that measures in there at a 150. Absolute repackaged pandering marketing.
    That said, I'm still buying a Malolo because my other options aren't looking great.

Does waist width really make a difference in pow deep enough that you would be on a fish?
    Honest inquiry here.

3. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

For me it's huge. Riding anything over 24cm is tough, and I tried riding a Dominant 152 with a 25.2 ww (it was an 03), and it was like cornering a Cadillac. I've been offered "bigger" boards to ride on that premise, all with horrible results. I can't ride a wide board. Some of my girlfriends with size 9+ feet don't notice, though. I wear a boy's size 5.5/women's 6.5/7, so it's a much larger difference.

4. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

midget-mafiosa said: Waist width over 25cm.

just being nitpicky, but the 150 is a 247 waist. still wider than you said you like to ride, but again.... just nitpicking.  

5. Sodder

Sodder

Poo Pants
    Loungin Since Aug '09

*fartnoize*

6. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

my bad. i saw the ww for the 156. 24.7 is still waaaaay too wide for me. i can barely handle the 24.3 on my lolo. i really, really dislike anything over 23.9.

7. UzziClip

UzziClip

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Truckee

serraph said:

midget-mafiosa said:  FYI - the "women's" Fish 150? Bullshit. It's the same Fish as the men's. Waist width over 25cm. I've yet to meet the women's board that measures in there at a 150. Absolute repackaged pandering marketing.

Does waist width really make a difference in pow deep enough that you would be on a fish?
    Honest inquiry here.

I agree here...I don't think the waist size matters.. I am a 6.5 boot and I my pow board is a '09 156 Fish..I have no issues with the waist.

8. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

uzziclip said:

serraph said:

Honest inquiry here.

I agree here...I don't think the waist size matters.. I am a 6.5 boot and I my pow board is a '09 156 Fish..I have no issues with the waist.

I suppose if you are having to ride groomers a lot in between pow runs it might be cumbersome. Other than that I don't really see the problem.

9. UzziClip

UzziClip

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Truckee

serraph said:

uzziclip said:

serraph said:

Honest inquiry here.

I suppose if you are having to ride groomers a lot in between pow runs it might be cumbersome. Other than that I don't really see the problem.

wow I was kind of special ed in that post."I my pow...." correction "my pow board.."* lol. I could see on the groomers it being a slight issue but imo just point it back to the chair and get back to the pow fast.

10. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

damn.. im an 8.5 boot (shrinkage too, to be fair) and my boots barely reach the edge on my fish on the front with the angle of the binding.. 6.5? sheeeeeeit.

11. UzziClip

UzziClip

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Truckee

spenser said:  damn.. im an 8.5 boot (shrinkage too, to be fair) and my boots barely reach the edge on my fish on the front with the angle of the binding.. 6.5? sheeeeeeit.

In all honesty my fish has never been to the resort, backcountry only...but I tend to ride bigger boards in the pow and they are usually mens boards so I know the waist width dilemma..but yeah a 6.5 and a medium Escapade.

12. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

eh, i just like to be able to turn on a dime, i'm from the east koast. i also have the groomers between spots of trees. and as anyone who knows me knows, i don't hike. period. at all, end of story.

13. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

midget-mafiosa said:  eh, i just like to be able to turn on a dime, i'm from the east koast. i also have the groomers between spots of trees. and as anyone who knows me knows, i don't hike. period. at all, end of story.

nuff said

14. soulslider

soulslider

Loungin Since Aug '09
    NJ

nj2481 said: start a campaign for a 145 fish/lolo
    if you don't, I will.

I was just stoked for the 149 Malolo, my dad has been downsizing his boards as he gets older (he's now 70) so he got I got him an '08 149. My wife used it one day at Smuggs last year and loved it, her board is a Luna 147. I'm guessing she might be borrowing poppa's board when we hit VT again this winter. I would be shocked if Burton made a smaller Malolo. Ordered my Malolo 158 on saturday, I'm so glad I didn't replace my '06 last year. Thanks to all who get the early info and share, as soon as heard this year was getting S-Rocker I knew I could wait another year.

15. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

Yeah, waiting for the "downsizing" of popular boards is a dicey and frustrating process. You have the Skate Banana, which launched narrow versions of the 48 and 51 on year 2, and now a women's on year 3, and then you have the Malolo, which did the 149 on year 4, and everyone else who....didn't.

One thing I will say is that it's getting easier to keep boards longer. I used to feel like I was missing something by riding the same board forever. But truly, with a banana, a reg camber, and a malolo, the tweaking process should be minimal for a few years (i hope.) i didn't even bother looking for a "new" atomic fallen angel when i wanted one. i found one on sale for cheap, because i knew the guts were the same. here's hoping when the dust settles, we can start saving a bit of $?

16. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

In strange yet logical decisions news, since i am no longer a working girl of the corporate world, and back on a student budget (none), I've decided to forgo the 2010 Malolo in favor of the very 09 one I sold. Except this time it WILL be getting painted sparkle purple with a diecut of Dolly Parton. I will post pics when my masterpiece is complete. Chappy's price on the 09 ($259) is much less than other retailers. I was swayed by savings.

17. Ass Antlers

Ass Antlers

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Lake Tahoe Love

cascadia said:  i've seen alot of chicks riding mens size pow boards before. just curious about the girls on here who are asking for smaller sizes, what are your stats? i'm figuring you must me pretty small and petite to need down to the mid 140s for powder.

Yeah, I am pretty small; however the huge issue is I ride a size 5 boot. The waist is too big on the mens pow boards for my feet. It makes it more difficult to turn and handle it. I can usually get by with a 156 on most mens...

18. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

soulslider said: my dad ....(he's now 70)

fckn AWESOME

19. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

ass-antlers said:

cascadia said:  i've seen alot of chicks riding mens size pow boards before. just curious about the girls on here who are asking for smaller sizes, what are your stats? i'm figuring you must me pretty small and petite to need down to the mid 140s for powder.

Yeah, I am pretty small; however the huge issue is I ride a size 5 boot. The waist is too big on the mens pow boards for my feet. It makes it more difficult to turn and handle it. I can usually get by with a 156 on most mens...

my boots are average for a woman, but i am just under 5' tall. i just don't like heaving my whole body into turns, and when the board is bigger than i am (i come in at 151.5 cm), things just feel more like work than floating.

20. Ass Antlers

Ass Antlers

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Lake Tahoe Love

midget-mafiosa said:

ass-antlers said:

my boots are average for a woman, but i am just under 5' tall. i just don't like heaving my whole body into turns, and when the board is bigger than i am (i come in at 151.5 cm), things just feel more like work than floating.

I know what you mean!! It would be nice to float with ease like all my buds do.

21. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

ass-antlers said:
    I know what you mean!! It would be nice to float with ease like all my buds do.

did you get my private message?

22. Rachel

Rachel

Loungin Since Dec '09
    El Dorado Hills

Last year, I upgrated to the Supermodel 146. I had been riding a Muse from Santa Cruz for several years. I was hoping to expand my powder experience a bit and the Supermodel worked for me. I'm looking forward to more backcountry sessions this winter. I've never ridden the Malolo...but maybe this winter I'll get to borrow one. Anyway, I'm stoked this thread exists as I thought I was the only girl that liked powder...

23. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

Powder>All else.
    And I love my Malolo. If you get the chance to demo a 149 (Porters should have one in their rental shop) take it. You'll fall in love

24. Rachel

Rachel

Loungin Since Dec '09
    El Dorado Hills

serraph said: Powder>All else.
    And I love my Malolo. If you get the chance to demo a 149 (Porters should have one in their rental shop) take it. You'll fall in love

Serraph, thank you for the tip. I will definitely try to do that this winter!!! Is the Malolo life changing???

25. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

rachel said:

serraph said: Powder>All else.

Serraph, thank you for the tip. I will definitely try to do that this winter!!! Is the Malolo life changing???

I've been told a good snowboarder can ride any board in any conditions. That said, the Malolo sure as hell makes deep powder easier and a thousand times more fun. It is hard to bury the nose, floats better than any board I've been on and turns through the trees with a quickness that puts a smile on my face.

I'd let you demo mine but it is a 154.

26. Rachel

Rachel

Loungin Since Dec '09
    El Dorado Hills

It is hard to bury the nose, floats better than any board I've been on and turns through the trees with a quickness that puts a smile on my face.

Okay..I'm sold then...at least on trying it on a good pow day. Hmm...I think I remember having some decisions to make when I bought my Supermodel last year, either the 146 or a 151...I could have gone either way, but decided to go smaller...would a 154 too large??? I mean, I'll try...lol.

27. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Fattyboomboom

Man, I'm glad I'm a 'big girl' but I defo hear you ladies on this issue. I get away with most regular 156 boards as long as the waist is under 25. My boots are a 39/40 (no idea what that is in US womens). My old 156 Uninc is what, 24,7 at the waist and I wouldn't go much wider than that.

The only board I ever rode and owned that 'fit me like a glove' is my 07 Arbor Push 156 which I think is at a 24 waist.

28. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

zkurd said:   My boots are a 39/40 (no idea what that is in US womens).

I believe...USA = 8

29. Serraph

Serraph

Moderaper
    Loungin Since Aug '09
    I has a grumpy

rachel said:  
    It is hard to bury the nose, floats better than any board I've been on and turns through the trees with a quickness that puts a smile on my face.

Okay..I'm sold then...at least on trying it on a good pow day. Hmm...I think I remember having some decisions to make when I bought my Supermodel last year, either the 146 or a 151...I could have gone either way, but decided to go smaller...would a 154 too large??? I mean, I'll try...lol.

I think if you are currently on a 146 it is pretty safe to say that the 149 would be more than long enough for you. Especially with the Srocker. You're welcome to demo anything in my quiver though. You know, if you don't turn out to be psyho. ;)  

30. Rachel

Rachel

Loungin Since Dec '09
    El Dorado Hills

Serraph, that is very kind of you! We'll have to set that up this winter!!! Lol...not a psycho, just a girl that likes to ride powder.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23141516 467 Bdawg EMHM00 1 minute
FS: New Classic ZipFit Boot Liner, 27.5 (size 9.5 US) (Also got the Spotfit kit) 11 Mr_Orange Mr_Orange 20 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23116117118 3530 whoisminishred Frambwaze 27 minutes
Powzer Board Quiver - 23555657 1695 shralp skip11 34 minutes
who wants corn chips? 7 goggles goggles 48 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23101112 342 awd1105 illocon 2 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23868869870 26090 TahoeChappy notmikebuckley 3 hours
The Official 2015 Captains Log - 2345 123 LilTeichMonster RIPITUP 4 hours
The North East Thread - 23737475 2235 Bdawg Colby 4 hours
FS: Capita Unorthadox 158 SOLD 14 mh8701 alexxx 4 hours