• Latest reply from shralp
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

Pow Specific boards for women   

This time, Burton gets the credit for their 149 Malolo and 150 Fish. Ladies, I know I'm not the only one who can't ride a 156 or above, even in deep stuff. So let's do a Google search for "powder board women:"

Top results, in order:

Outdoorreview forum
    Powderroom forum
    Sierrasnowboard forum
    Sierrasnowboard forum
    Backcountry.com review

All of these forum topics are questions, not products. Women are asking where their tree-slaying, open bowl destroying boards are. Until last season, when I finally got a Malolo (the original Fish 150 was too big for me to ride because of waist width,) I didn't know how fun powder could be. I honestly didn't get it. I just sort of went with the "yay" flow, assuming that was it. Every board I tried ended up stuck at some point. Long, short, set back 1,2,3 inches, didn't matter. But a tapered board? Genius. So Mervin (makers of the Mullet,) Salomon (Sick Stick,) and everyone else, where are the small sizes?

2. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

word. ive been trying to get my friend cassie on a tapered board for a while. the malolo 49 or fish 150 would also be for her, and her boots arent totally miniature, theyre womens 8s which is pretty medium isnt it? she rides a gtwin 150 right now and LOVES pow and trees and surfing the mountains, so... i know what youre saying.

i think the fact that the search results about womens pow boards are all girls ASKING about womens pow boards shows that there arent enough, and that there is a demand.

3. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

spenser, i 100% agree. your friend is like me (i wear a 7, the median women's size) and i can't ride the fish (i doubt she can easily either) because it's got a 24.7mm waist width! plus, the board is meant to be sized down from your normal ride. puts it way out of my territory. i'm pushing it even with a 149 malolo, but i know it's the best i can do. every other board i've tried just sinks me eventually. it's hard enough to dig yourself out with a tapered board!

4. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

she would be fine on a fish 150, she rode my hero 58 which is a 255 waist and she said it was fun (her gtwin 50 was actually rad too).

i just cant convince her to try it. its so weird, you would think a lot more people up here would be into pow boards but theyre not. most people are still stuck in the years where a pow board just meant sizing up a bunch, but no taper or anything.

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

el2ic

Loungin Since Aug '09

if you're into the whole Womens thing for snowboarding, I suggest checking out this site

6. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

figures the first thing i see is about how to knit something.

that word "betties" has always given me a creepy feeling. gives me some stupid image of a "chick snowboarder" whos all about the fact that shes a female, and gives off some weirdo vibe. i dont know how to explain it.

7. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

I'm with Spenser. Fuck that noise. They Myspace stalked me for like a year. The only two "women's snowboarding" endeavors I support are Powderroom and Mode Snow. Main reason? Girls I know run both, and I can count on them to treat women as riders, not "betties." Betties were the Clueless era 90s snowboard girls that came to the mountain in their leopard trim jackets with full (non-waterproof) mascara, a ski band so they didn't wreck their hair, and their boyfriend's snowboard. Later, whatever snowboard was the "prettiest."

Snowboarding can be fun, fashionable, and everything else women want. But I always have and always will take personal offense to dumbing down content and product to pander shit with butterflies to me.  

8. User has not uploaded an avatar

el2ic

Loungin Since Aug '09

i can respect it if you're just not into it, but if you think they are just a bunch of fluffy girls or snowbunnies running around the lodge you really got them wrong. they work hard encourage females and promote women in the industry of snowboarding. they gather female riders from all over and try to help get comps, exposure, sponsorships, etc. agreed i am not into knitting scarfs and beanies, but one of the owners apparently started an interest in it and wrote an article about it for content. whats the big deal. i just read some thread here or the bmb about knitting and crafting. how is that so different.

i have nothing against powderroom or mode snow. they sound like your friends and thats cool. my girlfriend is the one of the founders of shredbetties. i personally know all the people involved. i was there when they had their first thoughts of forming a company years ago and i can say that they work hard and are legit.

oh the phone is ringing so i am going to post this without finishing my thoughts

9. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

midget-mafiosa said:  spenser, i 100% agree. your friend is like me (i wear a 7, the median women's size) and i can't ride the fish (i doubt she can easily either) because it's got a 24.7mm waist width! plus, the board is meant to be sized down from your normal ride. puts it way out of my territory. i'm pushing it even with a 149 malolo, but i know it's the best i can do. every other board i've tried just sinks me eventually. it's hard enough to dig yourself out with a tapered board!

I am looking into the malolo 149 for 'gess.
    I really wish they made tapered boards in womens sizes.

10. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King

Loungin Since Aug '09
    New York, NY

nj2481 said:

midget-mafiosa said:  spenser, i 100% agree. your friend is like me (i wear a 7, the median women's size) and i can't ride the fish (i doubt she can easily either) because it's got a 24.7mm waist width! plus, the board is meant to be sized down from your normal ride. puts it way out of my territory. i'm pushing it even with a 149 malolo, but i know it's the best i can do. every other board i've tried just sinks me eventually. it's hard enough to dig yourself out with a tapered board!

I am looking into the malolo 149 for 'gess.
    I really wish they made tapered boards in womens sizes.

149 is a womens size. The waist is 243.

11. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

wife rides a 145.
    149 is too much board.

12. kelly

kelly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Sisters, OR

midget-mafiosa said:  I'm with Spenser. Fuck that noise. They Myspace stalked me for like a year. The only two "women's snowboarding" endeavors I support are Powderroom and Mode Snow. Main reason? Girls I know run both, and I can count on them to treat women as riders, not "betties." Betties were the Clueless era 90s snowboard girls that came to the mountain in their leopard trim jackets with full (non-waterproof) mascara, a ski band so they didn't wreck their hair, and their boyfriend's snowboard. Later, whatever snowboard was the "prettiest."
    Snowboarding can be fun, fashionable, and everything else women want. But I always have and always will take personal offense to dumbing down content and product to pander shit with butterflies to me.  

Funny, I don't remember myspace stalking you. You must have had a super sexy profile pic... did I hit on you, too?

13. Sodder

Sodder

Poo Pants
    Loungin Since Aug '09

nj2481 said: wife rides a 145.
    149 is too much board.

She could totally handle a 149. The Malolo doesn't ride long.

14. kelly

kelly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Sisters, OR

It occurred to me I should say something on topic... so I'll add that some of the big-mountain/backcountry-oriented brands like Venture and Prior also have tapered pow boards in the women's size range (148-50, narrower waist). Tend to be stiff, though.

I ride a 156 for freeride, so I'm a bit better off, but this is definitely annoying to friends of mine. Somehow companies have caught on that girls might like a variety of park and jib options, but they've completely missed that there are ladies who want to hop on a splitboard and cruise some backcountry - some of my smaller friends are stuck with snowshoes. The industry folks somehow don't quite seem convinced that women might want a full quiver with different types of boards.

Hopefully they'll catch on eventually, especially if the 149's are selling well.

... oh, and by the way, why do the swallowtails only come in HUGE?

15. nj2481

nj2481

Loungin Since Aug '09
    somewhere rad.

because you probably only need an extreme swallowtail (i'm thinking wintersticks, here) when you've got a boatload of surface area and really need to do something drastic to drop the tail. From what i understand the mini swallowtail on the fish is enough for its size range.

16. kelly

kelly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Sisters, OR

yeah, but if i got a swallowtail, it'd be for the fun of having a swallowtail... like a real one.

17. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

kelly said:

midget-mafiosa said:  I'm with Spenser. Fuck that noise. They Myspace stalked me for like a year. The only two "women's snowboarding" endeavors I support are Powderroom and Mode Snow. Main reason? Girls I know run both, and I can count on them to treat women as riders, not "betties." Betties were the Clueless era 90s snowboard girls that came to the mountain in their leopard trim jackets with full (non-waterproof) mascara, a ski band so they didn't wreck their hair, and their boyfriend's snowboard. Later, whatever snowboard was the "prettiest."

Funny, I don't remember myspace stalking you. You must have had a super sexy profile pic... did I hit on you, too?

hai. good for you for jumping into the fray. i just remember back when i was using myspace getting a LOT of stuff from shred betties, all unsolicited. did you guys have an aqua/turquoise logo at the time? if i am mistaken, i am truly sorry.

having grown up snowboarding and seen the effort women have put in just to be taken seriously while wearing pink is something i respect very deeply. i didn't wear "girly" shred clothes untl 2006, i think, simply because i was too afraid of being mistaken for a "shred betty." the name was a derogatory moniker, and the antithesis of what i was, and the face i wanted to show the world.

this said, i also respect that there is room for reclamation of formerly derogatory terms in feminism. bitch is one that comes to mind. it is a powerful word, an emotionally/politically charged word, and i take a similar issue with the company bitch boards, whom i have written to precisely to express my objections of marketing "pretty" as feminism.

i have a chip on my shoulder; i'll freely admit it. i don't read cosmo, i read BUST. if you check my profile, you'll see that i blog about sexuality and women's issues. i also believe that knitting is a third wave feminist hobby, as are other traditional "home crafts" like needlepoint and baking. my friend lorene (an editor of Powderroom) is a prime example of a craft maven making vegan margarita cupcakes while creating content for PR and developing sites like ridersjournal.com. my friend mayta (a mega rad tomgirl international shred/skate/surf chick) started Mode Snow and asked myself and some friends to contribute to it. it's a snow fashion blog, make no bones about it. i am proud to have come far enough that we can even HAVE enough content to make a women's snow fashion blog.

i respect you kelly about 100X as much as i did ten minutes ago simply for being willing to engage in discussion about this. i was on the BMB for a long time. female voices, particularly strong ones, are rare in internet snowboard world. i had said my goodbyes when my friend Suze (Serraph) brought me back over here. i'm here as another strong female. i'm here because with Suze, we created an annual womens' only snow gathering called Boobcon, designed solely to put together an amazing, large girl crew from far-flung places, have fun, and progress without the influence or distraction of whatever the guys are doing. we've got riders at every level, and i think this year (though the details will be kept under wraps) will be more epic than last, compiling women from all corners of the globe.

i'm happy to have you here, kelly, as another strong female voice. thanks for entertaining mine, and remember that the only way we'll get things like smaller powder boards is if we rise up with one voice, communicate our wishes, and vote with our dollars.  

18. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

wow heidi.

19. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

you didn't know i had feminist politics about snowboarding, huh?

20. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

It's 3am here. I am half dead but read your whole post. That means something.
    BUT I think you don't need to see certain things so serious. Makes you overthink a little maybe. Can get exhausting ;)

21. Vagabond

Vagabond

Loungin Since Aug '09

22. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

shit yeah, vagabond. remember, wonder woman was the heir to the Amazon throne. should they need a midget in battle, i'll have to lop off a breast to join them.

but i don't belong to NOW or any other organization. ;) unless you count NPR.  

23. kelly

kelly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Sisters, OR

aw crap, I had a super insightful and moving reply to your feminist rant, and then I tripped on my laptop cord.

let me sum up:

myspace - did spam some: friend requests = free marketing for poor snowboarders. unsolicited messages may have been shreddingbetty - confusing.

betties - not meant as ironic. to us, it simply meant "female snowboarder/skater." which makes our name annoyingly redundant. your betty definition, to us = snow bunny.

irony - may use as future excuse for name and bad header graphic when confronted

feminism - thumbs up

bitchboards - thumbs down

I think that's about it? Wow, and I had like 6 paragraphs, bet you're glad you didn't have to read that.

24. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

Sex on the chairlift articles? Thumbs down.

Checked your site. The logo matches what I remember from the Myspace spam.

You've got some good content on there. Stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and/or do some historical research on the terms you are using to define yourself. I still consider them demeaning and can't get behind it.

25. kelly

kelly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Sisters, OR

Oh and we DEFINITELY must vote with our wallets.

This is the only answer I ever get when I interrogate companies about holes in their women's line. They never go "oh, we didn't realize women might want that." They know there are women who want it, they just don't think there's enough women who want it to make them any money.

Here's a typical day in the life of me at SIA:

Me: "Why didn't you release your [insert awesome new tech] for women this year?"
    Them: "We didn't think enough women would buy it until it was more well known."

Me: "Why don't you have that board in sizes for smaller or larger women?"
    Them: "We sell more of the middle sizes, unusual sizes aren't cost effective. Many shops won't order them."

Me: "Why the fuck does that board have butterflies and hearts all over it?"
    Them: "The average buyer is some girl's daddy, and innovative graphics don't sell well, since daddy finds them confusing."

26. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

kelly said:They know there are women who want it, they just don't think there's enough women who want it to make them any money.

exactly

27. Ninety-Roll

Ninety-Roll

Loungin Since Aug '09
    comedy. spliffs. shred.

women should be more worried about things like not over cooking the roast and the latest developments in vacuum technology than they should be over silly things like snowboards.

28. TahoeChappy

TahoeChappy

The SOULhouse
    Loungin Since Aug '09

spenser said:

kelly said:They know there are women who want it, they just don't think there's enough women who want it to make them any money.

exactly

Chorus was the only thing that I thought had a chance....but it got dragged down into oblivion with M3.

Could happen again but a core nucleus of gals from several different existing brands would have to break off and form a rad core for it really to succeed (imo).  

29. kelly

kelly

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Sisters, OR

midget-mafiosa said: Sex on the chairlift articles? Thumbs down.
    You've got some good content on there. Stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and/or do some historical research on the terms you are using to define yourself. I still consider them demeaning and can't get behind it.

Technically, the sex on a chairlift article is a comic - although i see the image has disappeared, since the article is years old (how'd you even find it?!). I don't really consider humor to be "pandering"

And yeah, we did do research into our name, although I'm not sure exactly how one goes about doing "historical research" into snowboard slang. Is there a snowboard slang record keeping office we should have checked with? We did talk to people, and no one mentioned this definition you have - in fact, I've only seen a definition like yours once in the four years since we got started.

30. Ninety-Roll

Ninety-Roll

Loungin Since Aug '09
    comedy. spliffs. shred.

kelly said:

midget-mafiosa said: Sex on the chairlift articles? Thumbs down.

Technically, the sex on a chairlift article is a comic - although i see the image has disappeared, since the article is years old (how'd you even find it?!). I don't really consider humor to be "pandering"
    And yeah, we did do research into our name, although I'm not sure exactly how one goes about doing "historical research" into snowboard slang. Is there a snowboard slang record keeping office we should have checked with? We did talk to people, and no one mentioned this definition you have - in fact, I've only seen a definition like yours once in the four years since we got started.

nice job bitching up your repsonse. i am eagerly awaiting midge's rebuttle.  

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Watch "Higher" for 24 hours 22 ILboarder12 drjcv 20 minutes
The Denver thread - 23272829 849 Deucen YouKnowLarry 30 minutes
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23861862863 25874 TahoeChappy zkurd 51 minutes
Official Airblaster thread - 23177178179 5346 shralp matty 51 minutes
Fs: cartel est, malavita est, airblaster Ben lynch pro am and more! 6 Sampson023 highme 1 hour
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23789 255 vancouver Spenser 1 hour
Boot quest. 26 89c51 Jerms 3 hours
The official Never Summer thread - 23678 232 JpBergeron rlang 4 hours
FS: Burton AK Freebird Bib 1 crutan crutan 4 hours
FS/FT: 2013 Burton Fishcuit (Black Scales) 25 LilTeichMonster Jneischen 6 hours