• 1 Members Subscribed To Topic

Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Loveski

Loveski

Loungin Since Sep '09

The Stance Width Debate   

I rode a really wide stance for the past few years because "well everyone was doing it." Then after thinking about it over the summer and watching people like jed anderson absolutely kill it with a smaller stance, I decided to try it myself. I brought it in to 22.75 or whatever it is at the beginning of the year and I feel so much better. I feel so much cleaner off jumps and I can get a lot more technical on rails.

I don't ride much pow so maybe that's where the wide stance excels? Most people say they like it because it makes them feel more stable but I feel like when I have more nose and tail than I would have had with a wide stance I feel more stable.

This topic really intrigues me because most of the people I know take their bindings and throw them on without centering their boot on the furthest out holes. Why do you guys ride the stances that you do?

2. Ado

Ado

Loungin Since Sep '09

The Stance Width Debate   

I used to ride the 22" reference stance. Then one day I decided to flip my 2x discs around and try a 23" stance. it felt super awkward for a few runs, but I got used to it and it felt really good. This year I kicked it up another half inch (23.5") and didn't notice any difference, then I tried someone else's board with a 24" stance and it still felt normal. I think at this point I'd be pretty comfortable with anything from 22 to 25, and I don't care enough to mess with different stance widths and figure out what feels best. I think it's more a matter of getting used to whatever you choose (within reason) than there actually being an "ideal" width.  

3. Loveski

Loveski

Loungin Since Sep '09

The Stance Width Debate   

Well yeah, there's certainly no "ideal" stance width. When my stance first started getting bigger a few years ago it felt better and better until I was maxed out on a board with a channel. Then the drastic change way back to the reference happened and things felt amazing. I tried riding a friends board a couple weeks ago who had a 25 or so inch stance and I felt retarded. I wondered how I ever even straight aired a jump with that type of stance much less do anything else.

4. Lhoosh

Lhoosh

Loungin Since Sep '09
    cubicle

The Stance Width Debate   

rode a super narrow stance < 19" up until 4 or 5 years ago when someone suggested i try going a bit wider.. felt a little funny at first, but noticed that i had more balance & control, got used to it after a couple of runs. The width of my stance steadily increased from there. Picked up a board with the channel the first year it came out (2008?) & played around quite a bit with different widths & angles, finally coming to find that about 1" away from max is the most comfortable. Never realized how wide a stance it was until i rode the charlie this year & had difficulty getting the stance wide enough to get that same feeling of comfort (i am pretty bow legged, so that may factor in). Its somewhere around 26 - 27" apparently. (i still don't know how to measure it properly)

5. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

The Stance Width Debate   

It's amazing how different people are into different things....

6. Loveski

Loveski

Loungin Since Sep '09

The Stance Width Debate   

lhoosh said:
    (i still don't know how to measure it properly)

Center of binding to center of binding.

But yeah, I don't get how what once felt really comfortable to me now feels extremely awkward.

7. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

The Stance Width Debate   

I just try to keep the width within reason. Too wide is definitely not beneficial to me but too narrow and I can feel my self pushing on the outside edges of my feet all day trying to get more width.

8. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

The Stance Width Debate   

I like a wider stance...mainly because I feel like I've got more power when I really want to nail a big slash or something. Narrow-er stances feel like less control for me

9. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

The Stance Width Debate   

i think my stance is at 24.5 now. theres really no need to max out your stance on the channel unless your a giant. Saw some kid who was like 5'5 maybe with his stance maxed out. stupidest thing ive ever seen.

10. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

The Stance Width Debate   

ive gone between 23 and 25 in the past few years, and 24 is my sweet spot. too narrow and i dont feel enough stability from the triangle, too wide and it starts to feel weird for general riding.. 24 is comfortable, stable, not too wide to restrict proper movement... thats where its at for me.

on my horrorscope i put it at about 23 or 23.5 though, since its a much more mellow board, i like to match it with a slightly more mellow stance.

11. rlang

rlang

Loungin Since Sep '09

The Stance Width Debate   

23.5". 22.5" in powder.

12. Scarlet Fever

Scarlet Fever

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

The Stance Width Debate   

super wide stance destroys my knees

13. Hi Hater U C Me

Hi Hater U C Me

Loungin Since Jan '10

The Stance Width Debate   

i find i carve better with a wider stance because they force you to bend your knees more than a narrow stance

14. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

The Stance Width Debate   

forward lean FTW.

15. Boarder-San

Boarder-San

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Hakkoda, Japan

The Stance Width Debate   

A little wider for park 23.5 and a little narrow for pow 22.75 ducked out -15, + 18 seems to work for me, but its always a "personal preference" for each individual. Play around with your stance until you find that happy sweet spot for yourself.

16. abrakfkingdabra

abrakfkingdabra

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Congo

The Stance Width Debate   

hi-hater-u-c-me said:  i find i carve better with a wider stance because they force you to bend your knees more than a narrow stance

I would suggest you need to learn how to carve then - narrower stance, steeper angles, more lean = carving win

17. Hi Hater U C Me

Hi Hater U C Me

Loungin Since Jan '10

The Stance Width Debate   

i use around a 23.5-24 inch stance, +6 in the back and +15 in the front with good bit of forward lean. i think thats pretty good for carving, no?

18. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

The Stance Width Debate   

i dialed my stance back to 21.5 from ~24, and my knees feel much better and my turning's a lot more stable now, virtually no washouts. feel just as stable in the air... maybe slightly less. better ollie pop, i think i like having more tip/tail to leverage

19. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

The Stance Width Debate   

On my old board, which was a 149, I had it maxed out at 19 inches and felt ok. Then I got my Uninc 158 and rocked a 22 inch stance and liked it. And then this year I decided to mix it up with a 24 inch stance and I gotta say I really like the 24 inch stance the best. I know many people are going to be wondering how I went from a 149 to a 158. Well, I got the 149 when I was 12 and rode it until I was 16. During that time I grew a lot. So I decided to try out a longer board. Now I'm 5' 9" and the Uninc 158 is the right size for me.

20. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

The Stance Width Debate   

hi-hater-u-c-me said:  i use around a 23.5-24 inch stance, +6 in the back and +15 in the front with good bit of forward lean. i think thats pretty good for carving, no?

Well, it works for you so that's that.

However, for carving that stance is not very good. Depending on how wide a board you had, I would go no wider than 19" and somewhere near 40° or more up front and no less than 24° in the back.

And before everyone goes nuts, this is for a purely carving setup.....and even then the above example is tame.

21. kbasa

kbasa

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CB

The Stance Width Debate   

I'm 5'11" and I ride at 24.5 at the moment. I think I'm gonna bring it in cause I've been having some knee pain lately, maybe just back to 24 or 23.5.

Sometimes though my stance feels really awkward like I need it out even more...I don't know, maybe I just need to bring it back in.

22. mattaleao

mattaleao

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Denver

The Stance Width Debate   

I rode at 24.5" for the last year, and then 2 weeks ago I was setting up a demo board (half-drunk) and eyeballed it. I measured it about an hour later and found that it was at 26" - I said screw it and tried it out the next day and absolutely loved it. I felt way more stable than before, I felt more comfortable landing jumps, and overall was super comfortable. I've been riding at 26" since then and I'm really enjoying it.

I don't do a ton of park (don't really care for boxes/rails) so maybe that's why I haven't noticed any drawbacks.   People say it's too wide since i'm only 5'10 but I like it.

23. Hi Hater U C Me

Hi Hater U C Me

Loungin Since Jan '10

The Stance Width Debate   

paulg said:

hi-hater-u-c-me said:  i use around a 23.5-24 inch stance, +6 in the back and +15 in the front with good bit of forward lean. i think thats pretty good for carving, no?

Well, it works for you so that's that.
    However, for carving that stance is not very good. Depending on how wide a board you had, I would go no wider than 19" and somewhere near 40° or more up front and no less than 24° in the back.
    And before everyone goes nuts, this is for a purely carving setup.....and even then the above example is tame.

thats if you want to use an alpine board lol. cant see myself doing that. no wider than 19"??? i was thinking i wanted to go even wider? i guess i havent used a narrower stance in a few seasons. maybe I'll give it a go this week  

edit: oh and i ride a board with 24.8 waist width

24. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

The Stance Width Debate   

22" is my sweet spot. At 23" it feels like I have less control of the board. At 21", it feels narrow and I'm too upright.

25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

The Stance Width Debate   

I am 6.3 and long legged. 23 or .5 more is about right now for all-mtn. Never tried more.

26. McKagan13

McKagan13

Loungin Since Aug '09

The Stance Width Debate   

Is it really a debate? I'm 5'10". Ride a 25.5" stance but nearly no angles. Comfort is the name here.

27. Duhg

Duhg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    CT

The Stance Width Debate   

6'3" and long legged (37" inseam)
    I ride 1" over reference  
    I could prolly go wider

28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

The Stance Width Debate   

mckagan13 said: Is it really a debate? I'm 5'10". Ride a 25.5" stance but nearly no angles. Comfort is the name here.

wow.

What does nearly no angles mean?

29. McKagan13

McKagan13

Loungin Since Aug '09

The Stance Width Debate   

dasblunt said:

mckagan13 said: Is it really a debate? I'm 5'10". Ride a 25.5" stance but nearly no angles. Comfort is the name here.

wow.

+4/-3. Not much for angles relative to the average joe.

30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

The Stance Width Debate   

mckagan13 said:

dasblunt said:

wow.

+4/-3. Not much for angles relative to the average joe.

wow. I cannot imagine how that rides.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
FS: Fish, Un Inc 156 and Un Inc EST 11 Jneischen Jneischen 42 seconds
should I ride this? 2 gerry. gerry. 26 minutes
Official Airblaster thread - 23176177178 5337 shralp Spenser 50 minutes
Random shred news and etc... - 23636465 1934 Junkshow gerry. 1 hour
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23860861862 25860 TahoeChappy Dave99 2 hours
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23227228229 6865 JungleLarry Dave99 2 hours
The Denver thread - 23262728 830 Deucen JpBergeron 2 hours
For Sale: Ronin, Nike, Union, Gloves & Hats 15 mashy-naps mashy-naps 3 hours
Powzer Board Quiver - 23545556 1664 shralp highme 3 hours
Hrrorween Movies at Easyloungin 19 Eddiecubed gerry. 5 hours