• Latest reply from Muskrat
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

The Official Camera Thread   

spenser said: got hooked up with a brand new in packaging nikon nikonos 5 underwater cam.. friend's parents bought it back in the day and never used it. i guess the 5th version came out in 1984 and this thing still has a mail in form for a chance to win a trip to the carribbean or something which expires in 1986 haha.
    all i know is what i briefly read on wiki. i like old film cameras so this is pretty cool, and it's brand new, unopened, so i can use it if i ever go underwater..... haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikonos

sounds pretty cool.

from http://imaging.nikon.com/history/chronicle/history-nikonos/index.htm

"The model IV-A became a breakthrough camera for its capability to provide automatic exposure control underwater with the aperture-priority AE. In practice, however, the shooting mode was limited to aperture-priority; then, the addition of the manual mode was requested to permit optional selection of shutter speeds. In response to the request, the NIKONOS V incorporated the manual mode in addition to the aperture-priority AE. In addition, the flash control of Speedlights used with IV-A was based on an external sensor; the V made possible the automatic TTL flash control by using the specifically designed Speedlight models including SB-102 and 103. The model V came out in April 1984 at 73,000 yen with a significant evolution in automatic control of exposure and Speedlight. This model also adopted a mechanical shutter to offer a backup shutter speed of 1/90 sec. in the event of a dead battery, and a Bulb setting, as in the case of IV-A. This model was available with a light orange and green body finish colors, which was a somewhat different look from the predecessor versions of NIKONOS series.

The V, brought nearer to perfection, was used not only in underwater photography but also for land photography in bad weather conditions, and remained a long-selling product for as long as 17 years; even though its sale was discontinued in October 2001, it is still missed by many regular users."  

2. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

multigrain said: Cameras are the reason why I've been riding the same board for the past 4 years. Just picked up a Senheisser MKE 400 for my 7D. Just had the first snowfall here in my town; hopefully it won't melt tomorrow so I can get out and film.

The MKE 400 is really nice, We use one at work to help with syncing and most of the time is almost as good as the external audio we record. If you want it to sound even better get one of those agc disable cables it will help a ton. I use it when filming skating and snowboarding when i dont feel like going through the work of syncing audio.

bad63lac said: Brainfarm has.

who needs twixtor when you have a phantom flex.

but in all serious i've used twixtor a little bit. high shutter speeds and clean backgrounds help a ton in keeping the footage looking good.  

spenser that camera looks pretty sweet. I love old film cameras. I've got a pretty good collection myself and shoot with them as much as i can. I would love to get housing for one of my cameras too. I wish they were so damn expensive.

3. heatX

heatX

Loungin Since Sep '11
    The Beav

So, do you guys use your DSLR's for filming as well? I'm looking to get more into filming and trying to figure out what would be my best option. I'm interested in getting a mid-level camera (around 6 to 8 hundo) to start.

Should I just get a DSLR or what? I'm new to this. I'll be filming primarily.

4. Spencer

Spencer

Loungin Since Dec '09
    California

If your sole intent is for filming, get a video camera, not a dslr.

5. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

if you only want to spend $600 to 800 and only want to use it for filming then definitely don't get a dslr.

while DSLR bodies are cheap, everything you need to buy to make it act like a video camera really starts to add up.

If you have the money and want to do a little more work they are definitely worth it. They can deliver an better image than cameras 10x the price.

6. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

"sample" video with some footage i took earlier today, playing with the tilt shift video feature on the powershot SD4500. pretty cool actually. i plan to use some of this as cheesy artsy filler footage for the intro i have planned for the edit from zoe/shralp's trip

this place is called lena point, a 10 minute jaunt through the woods to the ocean. one of my favorite places to go.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

7. Chips2853

Chips2853

Loungin Since Dec '11
    MI

I just got this and im still playing with it and havent had too many outdoor opportunities to use it and figure stuff out. but its so nice. super high quality and super light. its about as wide as my iphone is long. got the 18-55mm lens, got just a telephoto adapter on ebay though, waiting to see the quality on that though  

8. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

i've got one, too. i'm itching to try out some video with it, need to get the wide angle lens. and get a computer that can handle video editing.

but i really love it. is yours the newer version with the tap to focus screen?

9. Chips2853

Chips2853

Loungin Since Dec '11
    MI

nope mine is just the 3 not the 3c, but the price i paid for the full kit was amazing. im thinking about possibly going up to the 5 or 7 in a year or so.

Im supposed to film a couple friends snowboard in his backyard park but the weather hasnt been good enough.

im getting the wide angle and fish eye as well.

you gotta love how compact it is and how great it shoots in low light

10. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

another example of the tilt shift time lapse feature on the sd4500..

this is the best camping spot in juneau and it's a bit of a secret. way out the road, off the side down the hills, through the woods to a spit of land. there's a tunnel through the trees.. on one end it opens to where the sun rises, and the other opens to the sun set where the fire pit is. you spend your nights next to the fire with a beer and something to eat, not to mention your friends, as you watch the sun set on the mountains across the ocean channel.. and wake up in your tent to the sunrise on the other side. it's the most beautiful and perfect place i've ever been.............. didn't mean to write that much, hah

11. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

rad video Spenser, is her hair really that red? Looks awesome.

12. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

in the sun maybe, but that feature on the camera pops things a little more than usual

13. RideTimeless

RideTimeless

Loungin Since Sep '10
    10x10 box...

spenser said: another example of the tilt shift time lapse feature on the sd4500..
    this is the best camping spot in juneau and it's a bit of a secret. way out the road, off the side down the hills, through the woods to a spit of land. there's a tunnel through the trees.. on one end it opens to where the sun rises, and the other opens to the sun set where the fire pit is. you spend your nights next to the fire with a beer and something to eat, not to mention your friends, as you watch the sun set on the mountains across the ocean channel.. and wake up in your tent to the sunrise on the other side. it's the most beautiful and perfect place i've ever been.............. didn't mean to write that much, hah

Amazing spenser...I can definitely see you making free lance video edits for money if you wanted to. You wouldn't even have to leave your home, people would just send you media.

14. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i've been thinking about doing it as a profession in someway. not necessarily all freelance stuff, but being a film maker of some kind. i have so much fun doing it even when it's "work" to get it done.. it would only make sense

15. FukItMkV

FukItMkV

Loungin Since Feb '12
    Easton, Pa

junkshow said:  Hey guys and gals, debating buying a D-SLR. I looked at them today, I'm thinking about the Nikon D3000, fairly low pow price, guy told me it would be a good starter. But another Nikon also cought my eye, I think it was the next step up. I liked that it shot faster and that it had a vari-angle screen. Sorry I don't have the model number and I don't have all the info beause I'm on my iPod. But I saw that Max is online so I figured throw this out there. What's your thoughts on these cameras? Or other good "starter" SLRs?

d3000 is not a bad starter. I have a d5100 and love it. Its all about the glass

16. ttocsxela

ttocsxela

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Sacramento

Pentax K-5... done

17. jza

jza

Loungin Since Aug '09
    truro NS

fukitmkv said:

junkshow said:  Hey guys and gals, debating buying a D-SLR. I looked at them today, I'm thinking about the Nikon D3000, fairly low pow price, guy told me it would be a good starter. But another Nikon also cought my eye, I think it was the next step up. I liked that it shot faster and that it had a vari-angle screen. Sorry I don't have the model number and I don't have all the info beause I'm on my iPod. But I saw that Max is online so I figured throw this out there. What's your thoughts on these cameras? Or other good "starter" SLRs?

d3000 is not a bad starter. I have a d5100 and love it. Its all about the glass

Junkshow, I got the d3000 around xmas time and I have just been taking some shots at the local hill. Here are some shots I have that are uneditted that I have so far, I think they came out well, some may think otherwise.

Gotta say I would like to have a nicer lens, but I just dont have the money for that at this time.

18. jza

jza

Loungin Since Aug '09
    truro NS

I also opted to stick with the Non-VR lens and if you check out reviews online they say how you get a lot of noise in your photo and you cant focus in on anything.

19. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i think i want to get a prime for my 30D. either 35mm or 50mm but i'm not sure. suggestions? high end glass would be nice, used in good conditions is fine if it's a good buy, and i'd prefer if the outer threads were 72mm so i can use my polarizer with it, but i also have a 67-72mm adapter if need be. any of you photo dudes have suggestions that fit those criteria?

i also just bought a second housing for my gopro. planning to drill a hole for the mic jack so i can get an external mic and get real audio, mostly for skating but other things too.  

20. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

do you have a zoom lens that covers 35mm and 50mm? if so, walk around with the lens taped at those focal lengths and see how it feels. Getting the prime will just make it lighter and give you way better bokeh

21. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

good call.. figures i didn't think of that

22. max

max

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Chile

I am about to buy a Yashica 635 TLR... super stoked!!:D

23. Paulg

Paulg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The Blame Department

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent small camera? I had a Canon Powershot SD850 but my wife went and dropped it in a river this weekend. It's in a bag of rice right now but seeing as it powered itself on when dunked at which time the lens began extending and then froze, combined with all the condensation under the screen, I'm not holding my breath. I'd love an entry level DSLR but really can't afford it. Just wondering if there is a current equivalent. I like Canon but not really married to it.

Thanks

24. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

the current line of powershots is pretty killer. i think they all do HD video now and all the other specs are getting better every year. if you liked the powershot, look into one of the new models. i'm not as familiar with nikon or others, but there are definitely some other good options.

25. Noelani

Noelani

Loungin Since Dec '10
    JNU

spenser said: i've been thinking about doing it as a profession in someway. not necessarily all freelance stuff, but being a film maker of some kind. i have so much fun doing it even when it's "work" to get it done.. it would only make sense

doooooo it :)

26. ttocsxela

ttocsxela

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Sacramento

ttocsxela said:  Pentax K-5... done

^^^ haha - I'm an idiot

27. sevenstarsfall

sevenstarsfall

Loungin Since Oct '10

Just bought a Hero 2, looking to get a 32GB card and found this on Amazon for $33:

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46)

Is this a good card or should I be looking at something else?  

28. c-money

c-money

Loungin Since Nov '10
    Buffalo >> PDX

i'm looking to sell my nikon d3100 if anyone's interested.

29. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

sevenstarsfall said:  Just bought a Hero 2, looking to get a 32GB card and found this on Amazon for $33:
    SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46)

i would get a smaller card, like 16gb class 10. Then get 2 if you want 32gb. Well, that's conventional photo wisdom - don't have all your eggs in the same basket, etc. That said, I wouldn't want to be opening the gopro to swap out a card during a snow day.

30. Jerms

Jerms

Loungin Since Sep '10
    JNU

supra said:

sevenstarsfall said:  Just bought a Hero 2, looking to get a 32GB card and found this on Amazon for $33:

i would get a smaller card, like 16gb class 10. Then get 2 if you want 32gb. Well, that's conventional photo wisdom - don't have all your eggs in the same basket, etc. That said, I wouldn't want to be opening the gopro to swap out a card during a snow day.

I agree 100% with multiple cards, but my 8gb lasted a full full day typically. Thats just me though.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Official Airblaster thread - 23177178179 5342 shralp Jerms 12 minutes
Watch "Higher" for 24 hours 13 ILboarder12 Jerms 25 minutes
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23789 246 vancouver Lomax 54 minutes
FS: (NC) Union Danny Kass Tie Dye Bindings 3 martind martind 54 minutes
FS: Union Team Bindings (Base/Straps/Heelcups) M/L 7 martind martind 1 hour
Boot quest. 15 89c51 89c51 1 hour
FS/FT: 2013 Burton Fishcuit (Black Scales) 24 LilTeichMonster crutan 5 hours
Jones Snowboards - 23333435 1040 Supra Spenser 7 hours
The L1 Thread - 23363738 1128 ryanppax nca777 9 hours
The official Never Summer thread - 23678 227 JpBergeron Spenser 10 hours