• Latest reply from Dr. Dre
  • 4 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Official Motorcycle thread   

pulled the bike out....gotta love when they start right up after they have been sitting for some time. Now I gotta get rid of this fender.  

2. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

f18 said:  well.. "cheap" is relative isn't it?
    I think an early 2000's sport-touring bike is what I want. 60-70ish HP.. not a racer, more upright riding position.
    But yeah I could get something really cheap, 800-1200$, do the maintenance needed to get it running strong and go with it.
    dude, how come nobody reacted to the vid I posted of the mozerfackin' rocket goin'round the ring within 7min 10sec..

Cuz that aggro racing shit is weak. Enjoy the ride man not everythin has to be jersey shore balls out adrenaline macho fest.

3. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

LOL ^^ THIS!!

4. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

drjcv said:

f18 said: dude, how come nobody reacted to the vid I posted of the mozerfackin' rocket goin'round the ring within 7min 10sec..

Cuz that aggro racing shit is weak. Enjoy the ride man not everythin has to be jersey shore balls out adrenaline macho fest.

I like motorsport racing,
    I've spent money to see F1 cars,
    I took a plane to euroland and visiting the nurburgring was a MUST.

to each their own right?
    *fist pump-gym-tan-cluuuuuubs*

My written exam to get my liscence is this afternoon.. I need to get it right 1st try so I can get on a bike this summer.

5. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

hey i'm just saying don't be surprised if we get more excited over a video about a motorcycle being built than jersey shored all over the road.

sounds like quebecs regulations are much worse than hours, you don't even need a specific bike course/license here, it just helps with insurance costs

6. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

I got your point. to me racing =/= jersey shore douche fest.

it's a fuckin' pain in the ass to get the license here.

written exam
    license that allows you to drive the practice bikes that they use for the courses.
    22h of teaching in parking lots.
    exam on a designed course with specific manoeuvres..
    then you get the license that allows you to drive with another motorcycle "supervising" you while you ride..
    11 months.
    then you go pass the on road exam to get the "real" license that allows you to ride by yourself.

Yes, I want it THAT bad..

7. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

I met Adrian Lopez this morning. Geeked out a little bit.

8. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

whats he like?

9. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Pretty Homeboyed out. But he was super cool. Friendly. (I guess you gotta be stoked when people are lining up to drop dollars on your clothes)

10. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

pretty much looked exactly like this except now he has a big "CA" tat in between the praying hands.

11. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Rad video. Thanks Jalopnik.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

12. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

decided to see what there was for bikes in the area, here are a few that caught my eye on CL:

81 honda gl500

83 nighthawk 550

85 nighthawk

80 kawasaki 750

77 kawasaki cafe

78 suzuki GS 750 bobber

1981 kawasaki 440

all of 'em are sub-$1500, most closer to $1000. i know zero percent about bikes.
    the last one looks the best to me, but says it "lost it's spark," don't know if that just means spark plugs or what, but it comes with a parts bike, so it souldn't be a problem? it's got a nice price tag, too, $1100.

13. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

To me that looks like a good pic of a shit bike. Those bars are whack and the fit of that tank needs work. You're a big dude right? It's gonna be hard for you to get moving on a 440 (realistically after 30 years it's probably more like a 350). If youre into the bobber thing though it looks like the hard work of converting it to a hardtail has already been done. Ilike that Kawasaki 750.  

14. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

I've never stepped foot on a bike though, I just read a lot on AdvRider.

15. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Personally I would avoid a bobbed/chopped bike. I'd rather modify it myself to suit my needs and anatomy, especially for a first bike.

Most any of those would be decent because they are smaller cc and not overly complex engines, at least from what I know about them.

General recommendations that can make your cycle shopping easier:
    - generally 1 or 2 cylinder engines are more simple to work on and make for a lighter weight bike
    - 1 carburetor is easier to clean/tune than 2 or 4
    - a lot of older bikes, or bikes that have been sitting unused, will develop carb issues and possibly a rusty tank
    - look for a bike that has had a carb rebuilt/cleaning and a rust free tank. Check the tank by shining a flashlight into it, it should have a clean surface, not surface rust
    - check chain condition and tension, a chain should be well lubed and not overly slack or super tight
    - check tire and brake wear, you don't want to immediately dump money on tires and brakes
    - check wiring. Avoid a bike that has had the electrical hacked, it can cause many future headaches.

16. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

I sold my bike and e30 a couple years ago to pay for my medical bills after having surgeries. We've got a scooter, but I've been wanting to ride a bike again.

Wife surprised me the other day by telling me that she has been squirrelling away cash for a while with the intention of buying me a bike. I had no idea about it. She had no idea what bike to get and wants me to pick it out.

1. Is this a trap?
    2. How could she keep a secret from me? What else is she hiding?
    3. What bike should I choose before she changes her mind?
    4. This is a trap right?

Criteria:
    - Upper limit of budget is $5500, I'd like to shoot for $3k and spend the rest on mods or something else
    - I want a dual sport, but don't know much about them, so many models its confusicating
    - 650 cc or less, prefer a 225 or 250
    - low seat height cause I am short and fat
    - I'll use it for commuting and forest service roads, little highway or singletrack trail use

A few that have caught my eye:
    - TW200
    - XR650L
    - KLR 250 & 650
    - XT250

17. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

gerry said: decided to see what there was for bikes in the area, here are a few that caught my eye on CL:

81 honda gl500

83 nighthawk 550

85 nighthawk

80 kawasaki 750

77 kawasaki cafe

78 suzuki GS 750 bobber

1981 kawasaki 440
    all of 'em are sub-$1500, most closer to $1000. i know zero percent about bikes.
    the last one looks the best to me, but says it "lost it's spark," don't know if that just means spark plugs or what, but it comes with a parts bike, so it souldn't be a problem? it's got a nice price tag, too, $1100.

theres gotta be a couple sporties on cl isn't there? one of the nighthawks is the safest bet prolly but consider what shralp said about wiring and rust (disregard what he said about engine size) but the s 750 has the best chance of all those to be cool. it could look like this

18. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

most of the sporties i saw were around $3-5k, i'd rather not spend that much on my first bike, that's as much as my first two cars combined, but that's the type i've had my eye on the longest.

19. BlairW

BlairW

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Batteries!

shralp said:

1. Is this a trap?
    4. This is a trap right?

First, I know little about bikes, and less about women. Yes I am married.

1. YES
    2. Probably your Zombie survival Guide and BB Gun
    4. The Honda
    5. YES

20. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

f18 said: I got your point. to me racing =/= jersey shore douche fest.
    it's a fuckin' pain in the ass to get the license here.
    written exam
    license that allows you to drive the practice bikes that they use for the courses.
    22h of teaching in parking lots.
    exam on a designed course with specific manoeuvres..
    then you get the license that allows you to drive with another motorcycle "supervising" you while you ride..
    11 months.
    then you go pass the on road exam to get the "real" license that allows you to ride by yourself.
    Yes, I want it THAT bad..

the quebec system sounds pretty smart to me
    bikes ain't no joke.
    glad some governments realize that

21. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

the only people that get hurt on bikes are the people riding them. they generally don't injure others or cause much property damage. personal responsibillity for the win fuck the nanny state.

22. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

nighthawks are pretty sweet. One of my old roommates built one and it was pretty sweet. For a first bike you should be able to find something running for right around a grand.

23. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

24. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

that was posted on chopcult the other day! Soooo lame

25. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

shralp said: I sold my bike and e30 a couple years ago to pay for my medical bills after having surgeries. We've got a scooter, but I've been wanting to ride a bike again.
    Wife surprised me the other day by telling me that she has been squirrelling away cash for a while with the intention of buying me a bike. I had no idea about it. She had no idea what bike to get and wants me to pick it out.
    1. Is this a trap?
    4. This is a trap right?
    Criteria:
    - Upper limit of budget is $5500, I'd like to shoot for $3k and spend the rest on mods or something else
    - I want a dual sport, but don't know much about them, so many models its confusicating
    - 650 cc or less, prefer a 225 or 250
    - low seat height cause I am short and fat
    - I'll use it for commuting and forest service roads, little highway or singletrack trail use
    A few that have caught my eye:
    - TW200
    - XR650L
    - KLR 250 & 650
    - XT250

Suzuki V-strom 650 vs. more dirt friendly 225 or 250 dual sport? I'm hoping to ride a few bikes this week to decide.  

26. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

Pretty sure I want a small cc bike. A dual sport of any kind is hard to find around here, 98% of them are being sold above kbb price too.

Of the 4 local motorcycle shops there are only 2 dual sports, both at or close to retail, even a new 2009 model. High demand.

The ones I am finding on craigslist all seem to be selling within a day or two. I need to act fast.  

EDIT: I'm like an Ado car buying, except with bikes.

27. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

gerry said: most of the sporties i saw were around $3-5k, i'd rather not spend that much on my first bike, that's as much as my first two cars combined, but that's the type i've had my eye on the longest.

Yeah idont get this first bike stuff. Just get what you want if you can. You're going to spend 2k on a first bike then twice as much later?

On a related note I took a short spin on a 1700 cc bagger the other day. Expected it to be scary but it's fine. Not my style of bike but fun. Only went for about 1/2 hour because I don't have a license.  

28. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Totally know what you are saying about riding a largelarge bike for the first time. The first time I jumped on my brothers bike a was a little nervous just because the biggest thing i had been on was my cousins Sportster 1200 but once you start moving it is soooo smooth.

29. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Shralp, You should look at the Honda CRF650. It's a bit big to actually take on trails, but it would be better suited for the road.

30. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09

hip-bag said: Shralp, You should look at the Honda CRF650. It's a bit big to actually take on trails, but it would be better suited for the road.

I've toyed with the idea of a bigger bike, but I've had so much fun on the small ones I test road. I think I'm going to get a used xt225.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official 2016 Thread 13 whoisminishred Mr.KnowItAll 8 minutes
FS: NEW Union Cobra Dog Bindings, both sizes - 2 36 Spenser gerry. 19 minutes
The Official Frakenbinder thread - 23 73 MikeHoncho gerry. 20 minutes
FS: Union Cobra Dogs M/L 4 Matt1606 wvalk 27 minutes
The Official Camera Thread - 23678 229 Bdawg Spenser 41 minutes
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23862863864 25911 TahoeChappy zkurd 1 hour
i'm broke board sale, nugs,charlie, random 12 octopus KingCrush 1 hour
Nico interview 17 drjcv captmuff 2 hours
Unions vs. rome 390's ??? 5 LTshredTN Spenser 2 hours
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23424344 1312 Jneischen Gonzo 3 hours