Tags:

No tags yet.

take me to the bottom
  1. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

Broken key in door lock?   

At least it was the house key in the front door, and not a key in my truck door..Anybody got any quick fixes ? as in..how to get the broken part OUT of the lock....There's abOUT 1/4 inch in there..I can't see or touch it..

C'mon all you engineers,MacGyvers and Red Greens OUT there in EL...

2. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Broken key in door lock?   

shotgun?

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

Broken key in door lock?   

magnet?

4. hatter

hatter

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Cleveland sucks my taint!

Broken key in door lock?   

Take the entire knob assembly off and disassemble. Just don't screw up the pins in the process.

5. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

the the rest of the key and put superglue on the end stick it in and leave it for a few hours and hope it doesnt get glued to the inside of the lock.

6. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

hatter said:  Take the entire knob assembly off and disassemble. Just don't screw up the pins in the process.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!..I know this is the correct answer but I don't even know what the pins look like..

I don't have a magnet that thin.

I have no crazeee glue.

I'm really liking the shotgun idea....How many shotguns should I give it before it's so stoned it falls OUT?  

7. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

unhinge the door and shake it until the key falls out

8. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

Broken key in door lock?   

keats0206 said:  the the rest of the key and put superglue on the end stick it in and leave it for a few hours and hope it doesnt get glued to the inside of the lock.

i was thinking the same thing, except maybe use something thinner like an unfolded paper clip. still it's going to be tough to thread the needle without gumming up the lock with glue.

super strong magnet might work

9. geoffthemover

geoffthemover

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Rob Ford's Dealer

Broken key in door lock?   

new door.

10. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

keats0206 said:  unhinge the door and shake it until the key falls out

nice plan except that it's 19 below

11. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

Broken key in door lock?   

the magnet doesn't need to fit in the keyhole if it's strong enough

12. BlairW

BlairW

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Batteries!

Broken key in door lock?   

coping saw blade

13. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

dave99 said:

keats0206 said:  unhinge the door and shake it until the key falls out

nice plan except that it's 19 below

turn the heat on

14. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

I took the lock OUT and apart...One of the pins is dropped down and I can't bang the lock upside down for the piece to fall OUT..
    This also screws up the paperclip idea..
    Crazee glue might work,because I can fit the key in if I hold the lock upside dow..But I no havee crazeeee glue..

so Hatter, what kind of fckn special wrench do you use to get the last part of the assembly apart?..the part where the pins are?

15. Keats0206

Keats0206

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

bubble gum?

16. Junkshow

Junkshow

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The North

Broken key in door lock?   

Magnets won't work on most keys.

17. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

junkshow said:  Magnets won't work on most keys.

brasshole..

18. hatter

hatter

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Cleveland sucks my taint!

Broken key in door lock?   

dave99 said: so Hatter, what kind of fckn special wrench do you use to get the last part of the assembly apart?..the part where the pins are?

Depends on the type of knob you have. There will either be a small hole on the side where you can insert a small screwdriver or there may be a flange towards the back that is holding it in place.

The other option, if there is a pin holding it in place is to spray some lubricant up there and use a small piece of metal to push the pin up while holding it upside down to loosen the key.

19. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

ok Corky thanks..thats's what I'll try next...but.....I decided that if I could eat a whole apple pie I might come up with the solution...I could only eat 1/2 the pie so my half-baked idea is to leave the lock alone until I fix my truck window, which I screwed up 3 winters ago..

I love it when a plan comes together

20. peh760603

peh760603

Loungin Since Sep '09
    the orient§

Broken key in door lock?   

i laughed when i read this... reminded me of my saga from last month.

i live in korea, so basically have all my gear orders sent to my brother's house (in miami) then, he sends them to me.

the mailman leaves large parcels in separate mailboxes and then leaves a key for it in your regular mailbox.

anyway... the f'in key broke as soon as my brother turned it.

this started a 6 week saga in trying to get my f'in gear out of the box (EG2's, holden jacket, bindings).

calls, trips to post office, lock picking attempts... after 'bout a month, i was really getting pissed of and told him to take a crowbar to the thing.

finally, after 6 weeks, someone came and changed the lock.

gear here now. i am happy now.

hope your luck is better than mine... in terms of expediency.

21. Sodder

Sodder

Poo Pants
    Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

What is the smallest drill bit you have?

22. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyooooming

Broken key in door lock?   

wait....Daves cave has a door now?

23. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

sodder said:  What is the smallest drill bit you have?

every size..Your plan?..drill into the key?..that's going to be hard to do blindly while holding the pin up...

Yes Rossco, some cave's have doors...This is not your plain old run of the mill hole in a rock.. 

24. BlairW

BlairW

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Batteries!

Broken key in door lock?   

Dave, I stole this from some other site,

Please don't use crazy glue to remove the lock. All to often people try this and get the key permantly stuck in the lock. If you get the glue on anything other than the broken key, the pins may get glued into position and/or the broken part of the key may get glued into the lock.

If you have a small drill bit, 3/32" or so, 'drill' it into the lock next to the broken key by hand DO NOT USE A DRILL. You need to insert it in the milling of the key (the groove), twist it by hand until it's in there a bit then grab the end of the bit with pliers and pull straight out. You may have to repeat the process until the key comes out enough to grab with tweezers or needle-nose pliers. If the bit is too small or too big, try another size.

Never put glue of any kind into a lock, you are just looking for more trouble.

25. Sodder

Sodder

Poo Pants
    Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

dave99 said:

sodder said:  What is the smallest drill bit you have?

every size..Your plan?..drill into the key?..that's going to be hard to do blindly while holding the pin up...
    Yes Rossco, some cave's have doors...This is not your plain old run of the mill hole in a rock.. 

I missed the part about the pin. Sorry about that.

But yeah... the plan was to drill into the key then glue something small (wire, something) into it and pull.

Hate to say it Dave but you are going to need a new tumbler.

26. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

Broken key in door lock?   

If Michael Moore has taught me anything it's that Canadians don't lock their doors.

27. kaf

kaf

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Australia

Broken key in door lock?   

GOOGLE IT FIND:

Getting a broken key out of a lock

You're just leaving the house and you turn to lock the door, or you're running late and jump into your car and twist the key. All that turns is the head of the key in your fingers and the shaft is stuck in the lock. Now what? Call a locksmith and figure on a couple of hundred dollars for a service call? Phone a tow truck to take your car to the dealer, where you'll probably be looking at a few hundred dollars to get your ignition working again? You just might have another option; with patience and some contrived tools, you may be able to get that broken key shaft out of the lock yourself.

What kind of tools you can use:

* A piece of a coping saw blade
    * A piece of a jigsaw blade
    * Small hacksaw blade
    * Dental pick
    * Spray lock lubricant, WD-40 or even Pam cooking spray
    * Needle nose pliers
    * Eyebrow tweezers
    * Nail clippers

Getting your key out of the lock

The concept is quite simple. First you want to get a strong, thin piece of metal in beside your key shaft then pull it back out of the lock. Once you've got the end sticking out, grab the protruding piece of the key and pull it out the rest of the way. The piece of a coping saw blade (or other thin saw blade) is good for getting the key started, since the teeth on a saw blade all point in one direction and they'll grab the key shaft.

Start by giving the keyway (lock) a quick spray of lubricant to make it as easy as possible for the key shaft to slide out. Now insert the piece of saw blade into the keyway (making sure the teeth on the blade are pointing towards you, i.e. back out of the lock).

Make sure you slide the saw blade in along beside the grooved edge of your key, not the smooth edge. (Take a look at a key right now. There are probably some grooves running the length of the shaft and some teeth sticking up. On one side of the teeth the key shaft is thinner or cut back - you want to slide your saw blade in along this area. Car keys that can be inserted either side up also have a thin side on each edge of the key.

Grab onto the key shaft by twisting your saw blade a little. When it gets a grip, try to slide the shaft out of the lock.

Once you've got a bit of the key shaft protruding from the lock, use needle nose pliers, tweezers or even a set of nail clippers to grab on to the shaft and pull it all the way out.

If the broken key shaft won't budge, the lock may not be in a "neutral" position. The tumblers inside the lock are still holding onto the key shaft. If the lock isn't in a neutral position, you can probably get it aligned by turning it with your saw blade in the lock.

Once you get the broken piece out of the lock, don't just throw it away. A locksmith can usually make a new key from the two pieces of the old key.

OR IF ALL FAILS, CALL A LOCKSMITH

28. BlairW

BlairW

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Batteries!

Broken key in door lock?   

blairw said:  coping saw blade

29. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09

Broken key in door lock?   

blairw said:  Dave, I stole this from some other site,
    If you have a small drill bit, 3/32" or so, 'drill' it into the lock next to the broken key by hand DO NOT USE A DRILL. You need to insert it in the milling of the key (the groove), twist it by hand until it's in there a bit then grab the end of the bit with pliers and pull straight out. You may have to repeat the process until the key comes out enough to grab with tweezers or needle-nose pliers. If the bit is too small or too big, try another size.

ooh..I like this plan the best..Thanks..I still may have to remove the lockguts again and hold it upside down to beat the drop pin...We'll give it a try tomorrow after I've finished the apple pie off

and as I mentioned before..I have no glue..so, no worries abOUT sticky stickitty fck fck

30. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK SOCHI

Broken key in door lock?   

hes supposed to use a drill right?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23841842843 25285 TahoeChappy Dave99 34 minutes
Helping a fellow rider save his house . . . and his board collection. - 2 46 chucky chucky 48 minutes
wholesale slippers blog 1 outman outman 1 hour
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23323334 999 Jneischen MikeHoncho 1 hour
biff out with your gif out - 23282930 887 contra FeRreLL 2 hours
Jones Snowboards - 23293031 926 Supra JBburton 18 2 hours
The Official 2014 Captains Log - 23343536 1073 Parker passing gas 2 hours
I'm a nike head, I'm an a-a-a-addict for sneakers - 23929394 2818 Rhymenoceros gerry. 3 hours
"Safety Meeting" - 23313314315 9426 Dave99 Apache Runner 3 hours
Quiver Blowout! Party Shark, Trick Pony, Antler, Sherlock and more 16 Jneischen tekniq33 5 hours