• Latest reply from Dr. Dre
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

If you are into it, good for you. Good jobs out there for it :)

2. ShredlockHolmes

ShredlockHolmes

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Michigan

Edumacashon   

I'm a senior at the University of Michigan, majoring in econ. Will be graduating in December. Woohoo! I have enough accounting classes to apply to any MAcc programs I want, but I think I just want to do some internships and try and find a job in business and work for a bit, then get my MBA. Then it's straight boss status in the executive level.

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

You definitely want to get a few years under your belt before you even consider going back to school for an MBA or MAcc. Also keep in mind that relevant work experience is far more important to future employers than a masters degree; they want to know what you can do for them, not what you've done for yourself.

4. ShredlockHolmes

ShredlockHolmes

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Michigan

Edumacashon   

youknowlarry said: You definitely want to get a few years under your belt before you even consider going back to school for an MBA or MAcc.

This. That's the plan, stan. I plan on doing some internships as I am graduating early, and then working for about 5 years. We'll see where life takes me.

5. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Edumacashon   

youknowlarry said:
    Yes, and I can honestly say I regret not double-majoring in it.
    I tutored accounting in college, bruh. Some people like that shit.

Just an honest question.

6. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

jt said:

youknowlarry said:
    Yes, and I can honestly say I regret not double-majoring in it.
    I tutored accounting in college, bruh. Some people like that shit.

Just an honest question.

Well, get this...I started college as a computer science major. It's like you and I are archenemies.

7. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Edumacashon   

8. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

That is some high brow shit right there.

I like it.

9. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

Edumacashon   

Took my PCAT on Thursday, my score is ok but not what I want it to be. Going to retake it to boost my math score. I got a score in the 98th percentile for bio, maybe I should be a doctor... The math section kept my score from being much higher than it was, it sucked only having 40 min to do 48 calculus, algebra, and stats problems without a calculator.

Now on to having a normal summer.

10. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

there is a job fair in budapest in november for everyone doing my masters. i can apply for interviews with companies there to either get screening interviews or even get a full job interview on the spot. if i land an interview spot, they subsidize you with 120 euro (which covers the flight there more or less).

kinda love that about my program. international, career-focused and connecting people. plus i get to check out budapest. i heard it's amazing :) stuff like this makes me stoked about being part of the program, love that feeling to be doing the right thing.

11. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Less than two weeks until I start, whoop whoop!

12. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Edumacashon   

More than a month before classes start for me. So ready to get back to school--summer is fun but it's really dragging on.

13. sevenstarsfall

sevenstarsfall

Loungin Since Oct '10

Edumacashon   

Summer semester ended July 28th and I start fall semester this Monday. Had some difficulties getting into a math class after Sierra decided to cut 3 of the courses last week (leaving 105 students without a math class). I ended up constantly checking the schedule and eventually got in after someone dropped. Still need to purchase one of my textbooks, then I'm good to go.

14. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

Edumacashon   

JT take an accounting class, it's really not as arduous as people make it out to be

I got in for fall semester at Cal Poly Pomona but im gonna stick around for another year at my JC since I can knock out a few more major preps and they don't take any spring transfer applicants. Im gonna apply to CSULB and Fullerton for the fall and cross my fingers. I want the semester to get going already so I can get some new surroundings. 6 years at one school is enough

15. BlairW

BlairW

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Batteries!

Edumacashon   

16. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Edumacashon   

dr-dre said:  JT take an accounting class, it's really not as arduous as people make it out to be

Will be this coming quarter or next

17. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

Orientation. Zzzzzzzzz...

18. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

So I need three semesters of a foreign language... I am more interested in German, I'll be better at it since I took two years in high school, it's four credits instead of five (none of which I need for my degree, just need the semesters as a graduation requirment) and it fits into my schedule better. But the other part of me feels like, compared to Spanish, it may be a bit useless. I don't want to miss an opportunity to learn something useful but if I go with Spanish I may be missing an easy opportunity to excel. Decisions...

19. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

You live in a country that values Spanish WAY more than German. If you plan on living in the States in the long term, do Spanish.

German is harder than Spanish and seems pretty much useless in the States.

And THAT coming from a German who should probably defend her language ;)

20. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Edumacashon   

none of it has any value. and you're doing it for a requirement. welcome to the world, where they speak american. if you prefer one over the other for any reason, do that.

21. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

Edumacashon   

I got a job as an earth science tutor today at my university  

22. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

jp said:  I got a job as an earth science tutor today at my university  

Word. You'll enjoy it, it's a good gig! Some of the labs can be a bit of a pain in the ass though if their still using the same lab manual, some answers are wrong too in the answer guides..

23. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

Edumacashon   

oakwood-jones said: So I need three semesters of a foreign language... I am more interested in German, I'll be better at it since I took two years in high school, it's four credits instead of five (none of which I need for my degree, just need the semesters as a graduation requirment) and it fits into my schedule better. But the other part of me feels like, compared to Spanish, it may be a bit useless. I don't want to miss an opportunity to learn something useful but if I go with Spanish I may be missing an easy opportunity to excel. Decisions...

You're doing environmental studies, right? Well, if you're thinking about working for any of the big NGO's or in an international capacity and are interested on getting on board with some cool research and field work I say get some Spanish down. There are so many awesome projects going on in latin America and a basic understanding of Spanish will get you ahead in the cut. If you apply for anything within the UN, IUCN, or any of the big'uns, half of the time want Spanish speakers.

I just started school yesterday here in Oslo. There's 20 of us in the class and they had over 450 applicants. Couldn't help but feel a little smug when they told us that. I'm stoked on the program. I don't think I'll struggle with the course work but this city is so fucking expensive and it looks like I'm going to be couch surfing for quite a bit - which would be okay if public transport weren't so ridiculously expensive!

I may have a chance of getting on board with the REDD (Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation) program for my masters project. They're looking for a graduate student to go to Indonesia to to research!! I'd be sofa king in but I think they require you to write your thesis in Norwegian and I just don't think I'm up to that standard. Going to check it out though.

24. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

zkurd said:

oakwood-jones said: So I need three semesters of a foreign language... I am more interested in German, I'll be better at it since I took two years in high school, it's four credits instead of five (none of which I need for my degree, just need the semesters as a graduation requirment) and it fits into my schedule better. But the other part of me feels like, compared to Spanish, it may be a bit useless. I don't want to miss an opportunity to learn something useful but if I go with Spanish I may be missing an easy opportunity to excel. Decisions...

You're doing environmental studies, right? Well, if you're thinking about working for any of the big NGO's or in an international capacity and are interested on getting on board with some cool research and field work I say get some Spanish down. There are so many awesome projects going on in latin America and a basic understanding of Spanish will get you ahead in the cut. If you apply for anything within the UN, IUCN, or any of the big'uns, half of the time want Spanish speakers.
    I just started school yesterday here in Oslo. There's 20 of us in the class and they had over 450 applicants. Couldn't help but feel a little smug when they told us that. I'm stoked on the program. I don't think I'll struggle with the course work but this city is so fucking expensive and it looks like I'm going to be couch surfing for quite a bit - which would be okay if public transport weren't so ridiculously expensive!
    I may have a chance of getting on board with the REDD (Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation) program for my masters project. They're looking for a graduate student to go to Indonesia to to research!! I'd be sofa king in but I think they require you to write your thesis in Norwegian and I just don't think I'm up to that standard. Going to check it out though.

I had a prof I worked for tell me that if you wanted to do future work in enviro studies (especially if pertaining to mining) that either Spanish or Mandarin were the languages to learn.. Anna, a big congrats!!! I took a course that discussed REDD decently, good luck! Some things about REDD aren't perfect, but it's a good program! All the best!

25. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

I am already procrastinating and the semester hasn't even officially started yet.

26. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

Edumacashon   

Spanish, ese.

How else you gonna shred chile and Argentina?

There are many more Spanish speakers who don't speak English than Germans (like none).

You can get by in Germany with English, but not Latin America (or even many communities in the US).

Or do mandarin- if you ever want to have anything to do with any manufacturing.

27. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

Edumacashon   

Eva- Budapest makes me Hungary.

You're German like born in Germany?

28. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Yep born and raised in Germany :)

29. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

zkurd said:

Yup, environmental studies. And screw you guys for telling me what I already know! Hah, just playing. I knew it would be a stupid idea to not learn Spanish, given the opportunity, but I was kind of hoping someone would reassure me back into German as it really would make my life a bit easier... oh well, who said anything about this school thing being easy?

Which brings me to my next point... I too am on the couch surfing program, uggggh. Got down to Boulder two days ago, spent all of yesterday in orientaion which, as boring as it was, did get me pretty stoked on my program and the school in general. Registration has to be done by tonight and is a major pain in the ass for me since I'm one of the last students to do it and A LOT of shit is already completely full. Other than that I've just been flexing nuts all over the city trying to find a suitable place to live. Did I mention before how difficult it is to find a place that isn't ridiculous expensive, in a terrible location, super shabby and run down and inhabited by weirdos? I really do need a place immediately but at the same time I'm not willing to settle. Todays search will hopefully prove interesting.

30. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

oakwood-jones said:

zkurd said:

Yup, environmental studies. And screw you guys for telling me what I already know! Hah, just playing. I knew it would be a stupid idea to not learn Spanish, given the opportunity, but I was kind of hoping someone would reassure me back into German as it really would make my life a bit easier... oh well, who said anything about this school thing being easy?
    Which brings me to my next point... I too am on the couch surfing program, uggggh. Got down to Boulder two days ago, spent all of yesterday in orientaion which, as boring as it was, did get me pretty stoked on my program and the school in general. Registration has to be done by tonight and is a major pain in the ass for me since I'm one of the last students to do it and A LOT of shit is already completely full. Other than that I've just been flexing nuts all over the city trying to find a suitable place to live. Did I mention before how difficult it is to find a place that isn't ridiculous expensive, in a terrible location, super shabby and run down and inhabited by weirdos? I really do need a place immediately but at the same time I'm not willing to settle. Todays search will hopefully prove interesting.

Good luck!

And are you serious about German being easier than Spanish?!

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Helping a fellow rider save his house . . . and his board collection. 16 chucky tekniq33 1 minute
The L1 Thread - 23363738 1118 ryanppax Parker 7 minutes
SOCAL 6-6-6: It's the number of the Beast! Muhahaha - 23678 221 mcbain rlang 10 minutes
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23199200201 6009 shralp Spenser 1 hour
Doc, Ripitup 21 geoffthemover milutinho 1 hour
Edumacashon - 23949596 2879 red baron Dr. Dre 1 hour
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23552553554 16602 Dr. Dre Dr. Dre 1 hour
Smokin Pow Wow snowboard 7 JV Supra 2 hours
Happy Birthday Maika 19 geoffthemover Eva 2 hours
Nike Boots - 23909192 2746 89c51 awd1105 6 hours