Edumacashon

(2894 posts) (149 voices)
  • Started 4 years ago by red baron
  • Latest reply from oakwood-jones
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. F18

    F18


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     didn't you just answered your own question? Do whats interesting to you. Hard work isn't wasting time.

  2. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     hehe yeah I guess.

    I just keep getting warned about the work load..

  3. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     Looks like I have to take enough credits in Brazil anyways to not have to do a full workload in Rotterdam.
    However, the class I could drop actually interests me.
    I emailed the student advisor with all my questions though.
    edit: holy she's quick. she advises me not to drop that course and do the full workload in case classes change etc.

    How have I turned from a strategy/marketing major to a finance/strategy major? I have never really enjoyed finance that much nor was I especially good at it. But I just find it the most important/worth to learn. Am I growing up? Finance makes me feel serious.

  4. YouKnowLarry

    YouKnowLarry


    Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    eva said:   Am I growing up?

     You sound like a kid who just grew his first pube.

    If you don't like finance, don't go into finance. It only gets worse. Thinking that something is "more important" is a terrible reason to major in it.

  5. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     I am just really over marketing though.

  6. YouKnowLarry

    YouKnowLarry


    Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    That's fine because marketing blows. It doesn't even really matter all that much. I just hate seeing people go and get a certain degree just because they think it will be more useful. You could go into finance with an art degree.

  7. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    This is not a major or anything, it's pretty much one course out of 8 or so.

    It's either global marketing or 2 finance courses that together have the same credits as the one marketing course.

    I am weak at finance (not saying I don't grasp the ideas but that it wasn't my favorite during my bachelors), but I find it super important and wish I knew more about it. I would actually learn something.
    I am over marketing because I have a feeling that what I would learn won't be news to me. However, I want a good degree and the marketing course would probably be easier to ace.

    It pretty much boils down to suck it up and try but maybe do poorly OR do marketing and most possibly be bored.

  8. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     or how my friend put it: "and find some cute finance guys to help u. marketing guys are never that hot"

  9. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     chose the finance classes because i want to know more about it. my finance knowledge sucks. plus i am really really over marketing.

    so my classes for the fall semester are:
    - International Strategy
    - Global Supply Chain Management
    - Financial Management & Control
    - Multinational Financial Management
    - M&A and restructuring
    - Corporate Development: Strategies for Acquisitions and Alliances

    i might die.

  10. J.T.

    J.T.


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     haha have fun with that Eva. I can't wait for summer to be over...living at home is driving me crazy.

    Thinking about trying to change my major to computer science or some type of engineering. Not sure if econ/accounting is for me, and computer science is actually somewhat interesting--much easier to get a job too.

    Might be too late to swithc, and this might just be me getting indecisive again.    

  11. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     Well, do what gets you where you want to be.

    I love strategy and find the field of international development/M&A/corporate development super interesting. I know I need to know some finance for that.. so I am pushing myself to go for it. Although yeah... I won't have fun probably ;) At least not with Multinational Financial Management. That course is gonna kill me. Currency prices risk, raising capital.... ugh. Scared already, but excited to hopefully finally have some decent finance knowledge.

  12. contra

    contra


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     met with a new client today with an incredible idea that is already taking off. makes me really enjoy what i do but also makes me jelly that i didn't take a path like engineering/biz

  13. funinc158

    funinc158


    Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     Applying to pharmacy school makes me want to blow my head off.

  14. zkurd

    zkurd


    Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     Got accepted into grad school at the University of Oslo in Norway. SO STOKED! ....now I need to find a place to live, asap.

  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

    oakwood-jones


    Loungin Since Oct '09

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    zkurd said:  Got accepted into grad school at the University of Oslo in Norway. SO STOKED! ....now I need to find a place to live, asap.

     

    That's the program you wanted? Congrats! I feel ya on the finding a place to live thing... I've got a mess of things I need to do in the next month before I move to school, securing housing being towards the top of that list. Master of procrastination... it seems not much has changed since the last time I went to school.

  16. J.T.

    J.T.


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    contra said:  met with a new client today with an incredible idea that is already taking off. makes me really enjoy what i do but also makes me jelly that i didn't take a path like engineering/biz

     

    Where do you teach and what subject?

  17. zkurd

    zkurd


    Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    oakwood-jones said:

    zkurd said:  Got accepted into grad school at the University of Oslo in Norway. SO STOKED! ....now I need to find a place to live, asap.

     
    That's the program you wanted? Congrats! I feel ya on the finding a place to live thing... I've got a mess of things I need to do in the next month before I move to school, securing housing being towards the top of that list. Master of procrastination... it seems not much has changed since the last time I went to school.

     

    Yup, that's the one I wanted :) Well, not counting UBC which I didn't get. I'm about to freak out honestly. The Norwegians are the absolute masters of bureaucracy. It's driving me nuts. I might actually just have to fly over there for two days to get everything sorted out... and I just found out classes start August 20th which sucks since I won't be able to work until the end of the month. I sorely need to money. Oslo is so expensive I could puke. I'm going to be living like bum for the next two years. But I'm still stoked as fuck about going :)

  18. contra

    contra


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    jt said:

    contra said:  met with a new client today with an incredible idea that is already taking off. makes me really enjoy what i do but also makes me jelly that i didn't take a path like engineering/biz

     
    Where do you teach and what subject?

     this was a VC and patent primer at the university of contra*

    *accreditation not pending  

  19. sevenstarsfall

    sevenstarsfall


    Loungin Since Oct '10

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    jt said:
    Thinking about trying to change my major to computer science or some type of engineering. Not sure if econ/accounting is for me, and computer science is actually somewhat interesting--much easier to get a job too.    

     

    I'm probably not as far along as you, but I can relate to this. I'm currently finishing my associates in accounting and pre-business courses. I decided to take the classes I need for my accounting degree and add an Intro to Computer Science course to my schedule. If I like the CS course, I'll most likely end up changing my major before I transfer.  

  20. Mac

    Mac


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    Just got into the Materials Science & Engineering program at UW. Now finally, some more specific and applicable classes.

  21. YouKnowLarry

    YouKnowLarry


    Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    jt said:  haha have fun with that Eva. I can't wait for summer to be over...living at home is driving me crazy.
    Thinking about trying to change my major to computer science or some type of engineering. Not sure if econ/accounting is for me, and computer science is actually somewhat interesting--much easier to get a job too.
    Might be too late to swithc, and this might just be me getting indecisive again.    

     IF you went to DU (*shaking my fist at you*) as an accounting major, you would have been aggressively recruited by the Big 4 public accounting firms. I'm talking lunches, meetings, golf tournaments, seminars, meet-n-greets, etc. Then, after school, you would intern as an auditor for two years at about $20/hour working like a slave for 6 months out of the year. After those two years, you'd either get hired at the firm full-time (and get paid a shit load) or you would go to work for one of the companies you audited for the last two years as their financial accountant (and get paid a shit load).

    Or you could go into computer science and hope you get hired at Apple.

  22. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    youknowlarry said:

    jt said:  haha have fun with that Eva. I can't wait for summer to be over...living at home is driving me crazy.
    Thinking about trying to change my major to computer science or some type of engineering. Not sure if econ/accounting is for me, and computer science is actually somewhat interesting--much easier to get a job too.
    Might be too late to swithc, and this might just be me getting indecisive again.    

     IF you went to DU (*shaking my fist at you*) as an accounting major, you would have been aggressively recruited by the Big 4 public accounting firms. I'm talking lunches, meetings, golf tournaments, seminars, meet-n-greets, etc. Then, after school, you would intern as an auditor for two years at about $20/hour working like a slave for 6 months out of the year. After those two years, you'd either get hired at the firm full-time (and get paid a shit load) or you would go to work for one of the companies you audited for the last two years as their financial accountant (and get paid a shit load).
    Or you could go into computer science and hope you get hired at Apple.

     
    I am happy we can count on Larry.

  23. sevenstarsfall

    sevenstarsfall


    Loungin Since Oct '10

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    youknowlarry said:
     IF you went to DU (*shaking my fist at you*) as an accounting major, you would have been aggressively recruited by the Big 4 public accounting firms. I'm talking lunches, meetings, golf tournaments, seminars, meet-n-greets, etc. Then, after school, you would intern as an auditor for two years at about $20/hour working like a slave for 6 months out of the year. After those two years, you'd either get hired at the firm full-time (and get paid a shit load) or you would go to work for one of the companies you audited for the last two years as their financial accountant (and get paid a shit load).
    Or you could go into computer science and hope you get hired at Apple.

     

    Are you an accountant or in a similar field? I'm older (29) and majoring in accounting. People have been giving me mixed opinions on whether or not I have a chance in this field due to my age, any thoughts on this? From what I hear, the problem (if any) is in the public accounting field. My friend works for Apple as an AP analyst and suggested getting a job doing data entry if I plan to stay with accounting, thoughts or better suggestions?

    CS appears to be a good degree as well. The few recent graduates that I know, all started at 60-70k (California). My friends who have been in the field for a while really enjoy their jobs and have good benefits. I like the ability to work remotely. In addition to the Apple suggestion above, one of my friends works for Oracle and that may be a place to look into for those going the CS route.

  24. J.T.

    J.T.


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     Accounting just seems like it would be pretty damn boring though to be honest. Not sure CS would be any better, but I'm more oriented towards CS. Meh, who knows.

  25. YouKnowLarry

    YouKnowLarry


    Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    sevenstarsfall said:

    youknowlarry said:
     IF you went to DU (*shaking my fist at you*) as an accounting major, you would have been aggressively recruited by the Big 4 public accounting firms. I'm talking lunches, meetings, golf tournaments, seminars, meet-n-greets, etc. Then, after school, you would intern as an auditor for two years at about $20/hour working like a slave for 6 months out of the year. After those two years, you'd either get hired at the firm full-time (and get paid a shit load) or you would go to work for one of the companies you audited for the last two years as their financial accountant (and get paid a shit load).
    Or you could go into computer science and hope you get hired at Apple.

     
    Are you an accountant or in a similar field? I'm older (29) and majoring in accounting. People have been giving me mixed opinions on whether or not I have a chance in this field due to my age, any thoughts on this? From what I hear, the problem (if any) is in the public accounting field. My friend works for Apple as an AP analyst and suggested getting a job doing data entry if I plan to stay with accounting, thoughts or better suggestions?
    CS appears to be a good degree as well. The few recent graduates that I know, all started at 60-70k (California). My friends who have been in the field for a while really enjoy their jobs and have good benefits. I like the ability to work remotely. In addition to the Apple suggestion above, one of my friends works for Oracle and that may be a place to look into for those going the CS route.

     I'm not an accountant. My brother is a controller, I used to live with a CPA, and a lot of my friends went into public accounting. In regards to your age, I can't really answer that. One of my friends graduated when he was 25 and is doing well for himself, but that's the oldest I know of.

    Obviously, public accounting is where a lot of graduates go because it's the closest you can get to a "sure thing" coming out of school. But there are plenty of other options.

    The company I work for (financial) seems to always have accounting positions open that don't really require much experience aside from a degree and some technical know-how. Any analyst position is probably going to require at least 3 years experience in a particular industry.

    If you want to stick with accounting, I would highly recommend getting your MAcc and CPA after you have a couple years under your belt. You won't feel out of place there since a lot of the people in those programs are well into their 30s. It will also open up some more avenues for you if you want to branch out from tax/financials (estate planning is fairly lucrative and my friend really enjoys it).

    I wouldn't let your age discourage you from being an accountant if that's what you really want. There's more than one path. Lots of accountants go on to be plenty successful without ever having stepped foot in a Big 4 office. Most of the draw is the fact that if a future employer sees that you survived a couple years at Enrst & Young, they think you can hack it anywhere...kind of like The Devil Wears Prada.

  26. YouKnowLarry

    YouKnowLarry


    Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    jt said:  Accounting just seems like it would be pretty damn boring though to be honest. Not sure CS would be any better, but I'm more oriented towards CS. Meh, who knows.

     Don't major in something you don't enjoy. You won't do well and you'll be frustrated looking for work.

  27. mcbain

    mcbain


    Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    sevenstarsfall said:
    CS appears to be a good degree as well. The few recent graduates that I know, all started at 60-70k (California). My friends who have been in the field for a while really enjoy their jobs and have good benefits. I like the ability to work remotely. In addition to the Apple suggestion above, one of my friends works for Oracle and that may be a place to look into for those going the CS route.

     

    CS is a broad field. A lot of jobs are programming related, but there's plenty of opportunities out there just for people who appreciate technology. Most of my class mates/friends work for IT related companies but do more business related jobs like ad sales at Google. I am one of the few that does any development. And should you like programming, finding a job is cake. We have $5k referral bonus for our engineering department because Americans really hate coding.

  28. J.T.

    J.T.


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    youknowlarry said:

     Don't major in something you don't enjoy. You won't do well and you'll be frustrated looking for work.

     

    Can you honestly say you enjoy accounting?
     
     

  29. Eva

    Eva


    Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

    offline


    Edumacashon   

     I personally hate accounting.

  30. YouKnowLarry

    YouKnowLarry


    Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

    offline


    Edumacashon   

    jt said:

    youknowlarry said:
     Don't major in something you don't enjoy. You won't do well and you'll be frustrated looking for work.

     
    Can you honestly say you enjoy accounting?
     
     

    Yes, and I can honestly say I regret not double-majoring in it.

    I tutored accounting in college, bruh. Some people like that shit.

  31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Doc, Ripitup - 2 32 geoffthemover shinobi 3 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23747576 2271 whoisminishred Bielawski 7 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23841842843 25272 TahoeChappy zkurd 8 hours
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23224225226 6766 JungleLarry zkurd 8 hours
beer is good - 23636465 1938 TahoeChappy YouKnowLarry 8 hours
Boards for ppl with ladybits 24 ShredBettyZoe EMHM00 8 hours
Help a fellow ELer/Teacher win $1500 4 bboytommy Dave99 9 hours
Official Motorcycle thread - 23424344 1291 red baron red baron 9 hours
New board to round out the quiver? 18 lytic buggravy 10 hours
SOCAL 6-6-6: It's the number of the Beast! Muhahaha - 23678 229 mcbain hana24 11 hours