• Started 4 years ago by red baron
  • Latest reply from Dr. Dre
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

Edumacashon   

Not sure where you guys are getting the idea that I'm deciding I want a year off. It would be nice to shred and travel and meet lots of new people but the truth is that I am ready for university and I enjoy going to school.

The degree I want is certain, however I am not 100% on my major. First year will be like a trial. I essentially accepted the wrong offer. I'm going to try courses in my three top majors, fulfil the pre-requisites for each choice for second year and see where I want to go in second year with my studies.

Sorry, I'm not sure if the posts above were directed at me personally.

2. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Just transfered my tuition fees for my first year of my masters. Can't believe I start in 2 months!  

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

eva said:  Just transfered my tuition fees for my first year of my masters. Can't believe I start in 2 months!  

I feel ya, I just confirmed my intent to enroll in Boulder. Threw down my deposit and accepted $20,200 in financial aid. Now begins the shitshow of shutting down my life here and starting it back up there. Quitting my job, finding a new one. Finding a new place to live and moving out of my old one, orientation, registration and a million other hoops to jump through. All exciting stuff... two months.

4. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Congrats!!

I am excited to go back to school. Taking a year off in between my masters and my bachelors was a good choice!  

I got a place in Rotterdam starting in August till the end of December.. And then the big move to Brazil. Scary and exciting at the same time. This upcoming year will be so full of new experiences, I am super stoked.  

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

You just doing a semester in Brazil?

6. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Yeah my masters is 1 semester in Rotterdam, Netherlands, then 1 semester in Sao Paulo, Brazil, then a 10 weeks internship wherever I find one and then my thesis for 1 semester, which I can write wherever as far as I understood it. Probably gonna move back to Germany for it.

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

Nice, world traveling! I'd love to study abroad for a semester, definitely something I'll start looking into once I get on campus.  

I'm not sure really whether it was a good choice or not for me to take SIX years off between my associates and bachelors but I'm definitely excited to go back this fall.

8. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Do it. Honestly, it will change you forever. However dramatic that sounds, haha.

If you ever need any help, let me know! I'd be more than happy to help out :)

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

My school required students (who were academically eligible) to study abroad for a term. I told them to get bent and took some lame international studies class for a quarter.

If studying abroad was the bee's knees, my school wouldn't have been packed full of kids from the countries I would have gone to.  

10. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

The thought of living for months somewhere completely foreign and out of my element intrigues me. I'm reasonably well traveled throughout the US and Canada but I've never been anywhere else.

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

That's pretty much the only reason to do it. It's essentially a free trip to your choice of destination. I get to Europe fairly often and I didn't see the point in studying at a school that wasn't the school I had chosen to receive my education, so I opted out.

12. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Having lived in English Canada for 2 years total, French Canada for 1 year total and the Netherlands for 2.5 years total (not that much different from Germany, yet different), I can say that you only grow by the experience. Especially if another language/culture is involved.

From an educational perspective, going abroad to a 'worse' school might not be the best choice. From a personal growth perspective, I would recommend it every time.

13. big_matt

big_matt

Loungin Since Jan '10
    London, UK

Edumacashon   

eva said:  
    From an educational perspective, going abroad to a 'worse' school might not be the best choice. From a personal growth perspective, I would recommend it every time.

Agree 100%.

14. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

eva said:  Having lived in English Canada for 2 years total, French Canada for 1 year total and the Netherlands for 2.5 years total (not that much different from Germany, yet different), I can say that you only grow by the experience. Especially if another language/culture is involved.

The programs are designed for people who wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to experience other countries. I do, so I dgaf'ed.

I recommend it as well.

15. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

I would never have the chance to live in Brazil for 6 months so easily, definitely agree. Pretty much the easiest way to live in a different country.

16. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    That's one small step for sloths, one giant leap for slothkind

Edumacashon   

Stress of graduation/portfolio show now replaced by stress of finding 1st job. I assumed it was going to get easier.

17. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

zapp-b said: Stress of graduation/portfolio show now replaced by stress of finding 1st job. I assumed it was going to get easier.

There is nothing...and I mean NOTHING...worse than job hunting. Seriously.

18. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

I agree 100%. Stressful, frustrating, discouraging, and annoying.

19. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Researching Sao Paulo a bit. I know it was my first choice because I wanted to live somewhere challenging and different than North America, Europe or Australia/New Zealand, but the sheer size of the city freaks me out.

20. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

Jesus. No thanks! I hate sprawls.

21. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Edumacashon   

amen.

22. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

I think it would be rad to live somewhere like that, probably not permanently, but temporarily anyways. I sometimes fantasize about living somewhere like NYC.

23. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

oakwood-jones said:  I think it would be rad to live somewhere like that, probably not permanently, but temporarily anyways. I sometimes fantasize about living somewhere like NYC.

I hate even visiting places like New York City. For two...three days max it's okay. Any longer than that and I feel like I need to shoot myself in the throat.

24. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

oakwood-jones said:  I think it would be rad to live somewhere like that, probably not permanently, but temporarily anyways. I sometimes fantasize about living somewhere like NYC.

Same here.

Big cities amaze me. However, permanently I would like to have the green escape just around the corner.

25. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Edumacashon   

Spent 10 days in NYC, and loved it. Could definitely live in a big city for a while.

26. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

Edumacashon   

I get really claustrophobic in big cities too. Spent a couple days in SF in December and going back on the bridge to Oakland was like a weight lifted off my chest.

27. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

eva said:

Same here.
    Big cities amaze me. However, permanently I would like to have the green escape just around the corner.

Same here. Loved living downtown in Calgary (not a big city, but big when you come from the rural outskirts of a city of 120,000). Downtown Vancouver is amazing to me, one of my favourite cities and I love how it's so close to lots of greenspace. When I will eventually do a masters I would love to do it international somewhere and live in a fairly large city. Never been to NYC, but my sis said it is amazing.  

28. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

I loved NYC and wouldn't mind living/working there for a bit. But raising a family there or living there permanently? No way.

Vancouver is still my most favorite city I have been to. Perfect mix of everything. Wish their summer was a tad warmer/less rain but other than that.. perfect location and good size.

While I am still young and have no responsibilities I want to continue to see the world by living in it. Just visiting doesn't do justice in my eyes.

29. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Edumacashon   

I need to visit Van. Perfect shred city!

30. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

Edumacashon   

Wow it's been over a year since I last logged in.

Anyways, it's so weird not to have school currently. Although applying to the engineering departments is rather stressful.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Helping a fellow rider save his house . . . and his board collection. 16 chucky tekniq33 1 minute
The L1 Thread - 23363738 1118 ryanppax Parker 7 minutes
SOCAL 6-6-6: It's the number of the Beast! Muhahaha - 23678 221 mcbain rlang 11 minutes
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23199200201 6009 shralp Spenser 1 hour
Doc, Ripitup 21 geoffthemover milutinho 1 hour
Edumacashon - 23949596 2879 red baron Dr. Dre 1 hour
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23552553554 16602 Dr. Dre Dr. Dre 1 hour
Smokin Pow Wow snowboard 7 JV Supra 2 hours
Happy Birthday Maika 19 geoffthemover Eva 2 hours
Nike Boots - 23909192 2746 89c51 awd1105 6 hours